I need advice

coltsboy

Right now I'm a senior in high school. I will be attending college next fall and frankly I have no idea what I'm going to do. I don't know what I want to be. I don't want to make a mistake and wake up every morning to a job I hate. I'm do well in my all classes. I have a 3.9 GPA. I just honestly don't know what to do. So my question is did any of you go to college not knowing what you wanted to do? And if so how did you figure it out? Thanks in advance

Coltsboy

First and foremost? You pray and seek His guidance.

Find something that you love to do and do that. You'll never work a day in your life if you're doing something you love.

Be sure to get all of your basics at the Junior College level (it's IMMENSELY cheaper than at the University level---believe me, I know). Do your best and work hard.

Talk to your teachers, make sure they know who you are and what your major is, and if they offer tutorials, go to them. If they don't offer tutorials then, bug the ever living hell out of them until they help you. Most of the time they're willing to help you, but some are so far stuck up their own behinds they can't see straight.

Good luck buddy! :thumbsup:

P.S.- Where are you planning on attending school your first year? If it's TJC PM me and I'll give you a list of who to take and who not to take (not all were easy, but they were all GREAT.)

I didn't have a clue. I started off as a business major, switched to accounting, then went to physical therapy, switched to paralegal, and ended up in education (after working in corporate America for about 6 years).

If you are truly undecided, try going to a community college/junior college and getting basics out of the way. It's cheaper, classes are usually more flexible (classes in the morning and evenings - work in the afternoons/evenings), and the education is just as good as anyplace else, especially if you don't know what you want to do. Just make sure the classes you take are classes that will more than likely transfer to a 4-year university.

That's what I did. It worked for me.

I knew I wanted to be a teacher my first day of Kindergarten....I added coaching as I got older......I've never looked back.......I thank God above for the grace He has shown me in allowing me to fulfill this calling.....I wish you the best and hope that you find your answers......Sorry I couldn't give some advice......

Colmes every reply so far has been great advice. Honestly I would love to coach. I wasnt able to play football because a bad knee and hip. I love everything about football. And I think if I didnt do that maybe a band director. I just don't wanna go into college without a plan. My only concern about coaching or directing is that I don't want to uproot my family constantly.

I finished high school in 1984. College was not a choice for me. I joined the Navy because that was where my dad dropped me off. I went into Submarines due to the recruiter telling me that it paid $50 more a month. I spent 9 years in the Navy until I became a single Dad. I then hired on at TXU where I've been for 16 years. Nothing was ever planned. I've ceossed both oceans and been to the north pole. I've been to Japan, Korea and Hawaii. Seen Russia (from a parascope)"LOL" Regreats? None! Mistakes? A lot! Advice....Know Christ and stay in often prayer with the good Lord and follow your heart daily. Accept where it leads you and enjoy life.

Remember only you can make you happy! Where ever you are at.

Delap gave some great advice.

Because I've got one in college now; one that took a year of welding, and I'm old, LOL, I'll offer some advice.

1) Get your basics at a nearby junior college.

2) Do all semesters, mini, summers, etc.... GET IT DONE!

3) Apply for as many scholarships as you can get your hands on. Be SUPER aggressive with it!

4) In the meantime, work at a part-time job, something to help you get through college, pay as you go, so to speak, and don't expect someone else to foot the bill. If you have to lay off the first summer semester to gather up some money, so be it. But YOU take responsibility for your own schooling. DO NOT get a loan, if you can help it... the last thing you need upon finishing up college is bills.

5) DO NOT get any credit cards!

6) Something that's very important - watch you hang around with... I can't say this enough STAY FOCUSED!

7) Write down your goals, be realistic on time on completing those goals, and if you miss a goal by a month or two, that's okay, but STAY FOCUSED! Have those goals mounted on your bathroom mirror or somewhere where you see them every day!

As far as what you want to be:

1) Make a list of everything you love doing, and other things that interest you that you haven't gotten to do, like as you stated, a football coach, etc. Dig into those, look at different things, talk to people who are ACTUALLY doing that job! See the pros and cons, see if you can live with whatever (like you mentioned the moving on coaching) For example, you may be a great salesman, you love being outdoors, or you'd rather be inside...

2) While going to college, research different ideas; for instance, as you make friends, ask what they're majoring in, etc., it may be something you haven't thought of, and may be interested in... and find everything you can get your hands on about it.

3) Figure out how to set yourself apart from others. For example, if you want to go into coaching, get certified on different type of things, certifications, OTHER than your degree. Make yourself BETTER than the other applicants (I can't stress this one enough!!!!!!) and that applies to all studies/jobs.

4) Whatever you decide to go in, GET IN THE THICK of that... meaning, if it's a coach, stick to a GOOD coach like glue, do things for free; if it's the law, for example, stick yourself in a law office, but get IN IT before doing it... because you may change your mind! LOL!

5) Find a support group, like your youth pastor, your church, a teacher in high school that you respect, your parents, grandparents, etc. but find somebody that IS NOT NEGATIVE, but can push you and let you see that you can move mountains, with a lot of hard work.

As you get older you may decide that something else may interest you... like so many of us did. RAMP IT UP, be a self-starter, be a leader, be DIFFERENT! And whatever you choose, do it with GUSTO! Don't complain, keep your mouth shut, do what's expected of you AND MORE.

And that's my pep talk for today.... LOL!

All of the advice mentioned so far is great. Just be sure to go to college. Having a degree, any degree, will open doors. Granted that some jobs require a specific degree but just having a degree is a bonus. I have an Architecture degree from UT-Austin (1988) and only practiced architecture professionally for about 6 months. Since that time I have spent the majority of my career in engineering and sales. Getting a degree will show an employer that you have the dedication to start something and finish it. It also reflects that you are teachable and are willing to learn. By the way, I know several people that started their college career in a different major than when they started. I have a daughter that will be headed off to UT next fall. Right now she knows what she wants to do but I also know that it might change. You never know where you may end up. Just remember to follow God's lead because He knows where you should be going. Best of luck.