LNJ's editorial

parentofredheads

oh, man..... feel free to opine to LNJ

"Taking our country back from the hatemongers

By Durren Anderson

Saturday, September 12, 2009

"This President has, I think, exposed himself as a guy over and over and over again who has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture. I don't know what it is [...] I'm not saying he doesn't like white people, I'm saying he has a problem. He has a ... This guy is, I believe, a racist." - Fox television host, Glenn Beck

Sometimes things happen in the world of American politics that give me hope. In response to his irresponsible, and incendiary comments, spoken during a segment of "FOX & Friends," advertisers are pulling commercials and the millions of dollars they represent from Glenn Beck's show. Some of the companies pulling the ads carry a lot of clout in American business: Wal-Mart, Geico, Proctor & Gamble, and Radio Shack are just a few of the businesses.

ColorOfChange.org is spearheading the effort to put those and other businesses on notice for providing financial backing for the purveyors of corrosive and inflammatory language. The results have been surprising in a time when the public has become inured to hyperbolic commentaries which have slowly become the norm in our discourse. I am proud to say I am a signatory to the petitions that ColorOf Change.org has forwarded to the business community. And the effort might have paid off in another way: There was debate during Beck's mid-August vacation about whether Beck had scheduled the time off or had been forced by the network to take a break. Beck and his staff made a July e-mail available that showed the time off had been scheduled.

While the loss of advertisers — and maybe a forced time off the air — may represent a refreshing example that civility is not yet dead in our public discourse, it would be premature to think that those things on their own can bring us out of the dark place at which we've arrived. It has taken us a decade or more to get here, and it will take a lot of hard and sustained work to get back to civility and mutual respect. The way ahead won't really become clear to us if we fail to understand the steps that have brought us to this sorry pass.

Those wanting to retrace the steps that have placed our public conversation in peril will be doing themselves a favor if they read "The Eliminationists," by David Neiwert. The book's subtitle indicates it is both a cautionary tale, and a rallying cry for restoring the respect and decency that has gone missing from our political discourse: "How Hate Talk Radicalized the American Right." In the reading, it proves to be an accurate, chilling rendering of recent developments in culture and politics that have led inexorably to the situation we find ourselves in, one in which hate speech no longer exists only on the fringes of public life., but has taken up residence comfortably in the mainstream.

Neiwert provides a quietly irrefutable gathering of evidence drawn from news reports, scholarly works, and interviews which make the case that extremist language has for years been drawn from the darkest, hate-filled corners of society, repackaged for mass consumption, and released into the mainstream. The effects can hardly be denied. Frankly, the fallout resulting from Beck's irresponsibility has been stunning not because it was well-deserved, but because it happened at all. That is how desensitized we have become to rhetoric and demagoguery that in times past would have been worthy of the strongest condemnation.

Neiwert's book is important in that it identifies a poisonous element in our public discourse that has not only been allowed to flourish by all of us, but has actually been encouraged by some really bad actors in the fields of media (Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Coulter), culture (Robertson, Falwell, Dobson), and from those in positions of political leadership (Lott, Tancredo, Palin). Once the source has been identified, it becomes the duty of every citizen, be they Republican or Democrat, to stamp out this infection wherever it rears its head in public life. Our very ability to preserve democracy depends on good citizens standing up for civility. That is precisely what ColorofChange.org has done.

It needs to be the beginning, not the end of the fight to restore the public square that hatemongers have stolen from us.

White Oak resident Durren Anderson is an occasional Saturday Forum columnist. He blogs regularly at etlibsrespond.blogspot.com."

They're actually getting to where they're having a lot of conservative editorials, as well. And at least they're printing the rebuttals, etc....

It's odd when you go and visit your attorney, and the first thing he says to you is, "Oh, by the way, might want to tone down the responding to editorials." I asked, why... "Well, because you may have somebody knocking on your door." I then responded, "And that's why I have you....."

Irritates the living daylights out of me that we should feel afraid of voicing our opinions...whether left or right or in between.

I'm frequently critical of the Tyler Morning Clyde Family Photo Album and Bible Verse, but it's head and shoulders above the crappy little rag they churn out over in Longview.

A couple weeks ago Cal Clyde the 4th, 5th or 6th, I can't remember, paid homage to the late murderer teddy kennedy.

I was fixing to drop my subsription but its still cheaper than Charmin.

What's wrong with the Bible Verse??

There is not one single thing wrong with the Bible verse. It's just a phrase I use to identify the Tyler paper. The only two things you can absolutely count on being in their paper is the verse and many, many pictures of the Clyde family, their children and their relatives. If one of the Clyde youth were to break wind, the faithful editors, writers and photographers would be there to sniff it up.

There is not one single thing wrong with the Bible verse. It's just a phrase I use to identify the Tyler paper. The only two things you can absolutely count on being in their paper is the verse and many, many pictures of the Clyde family, their children and their relatives. If one of the Clyde youth were to break wind, the faithful editors, writers and photographers would be there to sniff it up.

Oh, okay.....I see what you meant now. My apologies. :flowers:

And...forgive my innocence, but just WHO is the "Clyde Family" ???? I've never heard of them (or maybe I heard about them so much I began to tune out their existence....)

And...forgive my innocence, but just WHO is the "Clyde Family" ???? I've never heard of them (or maybe I heard about them so much I began to tune out their existence....)

I was wondering the same thing. Of course I am from Hallsville and would not know. I do watch KLTV and never see them referenced on there.

Here's the extremely short version.

Back in 1877, Mr. T.B. Butler established a daily newspaper in Tyler, Texas. At some point during the first quarter of the 20th century, Calvin Clyde had the good sense to marry one of Mr. Butler's daughters. All was well until about 5 years ago, when Nelson Clyde number 3 started treating the paper like his own personal photo album. Every miniscule action of the Clyde family is chronicled in excrutiating detail on a daily basis, accompanied by a generous helping of color photography of the clan. Nelson number 3 assumed room temperature last year, but young Nelson number 4 proudly carries on the Clyde family traditon of nepotism and self-worship.