Afghanistan... what do you think?

parentofredheads

I say do whatever the commanders on the ground are requesting. They are there. They know the strategy. They know what is needed.

Politics and media coverage lost Vietnam, not troop numbers.

The problem of increasing troop numbers is that you have a whole mess of Afghanis who hate both the Taliban and the United States and just want to be left alone. Increasing troop numbers is going to sway a lot of them to the Taliban's side.

Right now our troops are fighting with two hands tied behind their backs with very intense rules of engagement that have never before been implemented in human history. The problem is that the Taliban has no such rules and will torture, maim, blow up, and intimidate civilians to get their way.

For all of you saying we should just blow up the entire region, I really hope you aren't serious.

Guys I'm sorry to say it but yall just don't get it. Their is no "win". To win would be nothing less than genocide.

You cannot win a war on terror. Think about it.

You think we cannot win so you want to leave. That's exactly what the terrorists are banking on, no resolve.

I'm a bad loser. All Americans used to be.

Guys I'm sorry to say it but yall just don't get it. Their is no "win". To win would be nothing less than genocide.

You are wrong. We can win. But it isn't a war on terror. It's a war on culture. Send Walmart and McDonald's over there and they'll be speaking english in a week.

I agree. There is no way to "win" this war. We can curb the violence and crush the Taliban ..but we have done that before, and they keep coming back. We are not fighting a country, we are fighting an idea, a way of life. You are NEVER going to change their minds. Those people have their mind made up that the United States is the devil and thats that.

The U.S. government needs to let us do our job, with the right amount of necessary force to accomplish the mission, which is to destroy the terrorists. With the rules of engagement, and escalation of force procedures that are currently in place, it is next to impossible for us to accomplish anything. They don't play fair, why should we? Its time to put up or shut up. Either get it done, or bring us home.

BTW, I just recently found out my battalion is set to head over next year sometime.

The Japanes were just as fanatical back in WWII and two bombs cured them of thier stupidity. So yes you can win a war on terror, they just need to see our terror, but with a beatnick, muslim, commy, homosexual loving , american hating prez it dont look good for the home team.

I agree. There is no way to "win" this war. We can curb the violence and crush the Taliban ..but we have done that before, and they keep coming back. We are not fighting a country, we are fighting an idea, a way of life. You are NEVER going to change their minds. Those people have their mind made up that the United States is the devil and thats that.

The U.S. government needs to let us do our job, with the right amount of necessary force to accomplish the mission, which is to destroy the terrorists. With the rules of engagement, and escalation of force procedures that are currently in place, it is next to impossible for us to accomplish anything. They don't play fair, why should we? Its time to put up or shut up. Either get it done, or bring us home.

BTW, I just recently found out my battalion is set to head over next year sometime.

USNDocOfMarines is saying everything that I've heard from the front. We have won the battle, but this is a War that will wage until Christ comes back. The only thing we can do is let them be, and then after they show again that they don't want peace and attack us again, blow them up all over again. That is the status quo for the Middle East. Some cultures do not understand what a life without violence is like. It's all they know, and have been taught from generation to generation.

Some people you can have discussion with, but this will never be solved in the Middle East.

Read this morning that Congress voted and Obama will sign it to send... this will blow your mind... $1.5 BILLION to Pakistan each year for the next five years... because uh, Pakistanians don't like Americans, and so we're going to try and change their mind....

Uh-huh... we all know where Bin Laden is hiding... and we're giving these bozos freaking 1.5 BILLION DOLLARS ... that's 7.5 BILLION DOLLARS FOR A TOTAL OF FIVE YEARS....

Now, excuse me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonder what would happen if we spent that money in Afghanistan what would change? DUH!

• 4 months later...

The ignorance of comparing Vietnam to Afganastan is astounding! One, the troops of Vietnam faced growing media backlash from scenes that were doctored to appear in a negative light. I.E. My Lai massacre and "zippo raids." The general public supported the war in it's early stages until Kennedy and the media came in on their white horse to say that it was an unjust war. Granted LBJ only used it to bolster his election and arms sales but there is no excuse for how the media, including celebrities such as Jane Fonda, undermined the troops objective.

Afganastan has way more support from our media than Vietnam did. How many troops today have you seen come home addicted to heroin or other illicit drugs or being spit on and called baby killers?

Secondly, fighting in a urban warfare situation is a whole lot different than fighting in the jungle. Hodgies are no where near as smart as Charlie. Even our special forces went back into Vietnam after the war to learn from the Vietnamese on their stealth tactics. We could go back into Vietnam today and still end up with the same result, bomb the heck out of them and they'll just crawl in a tunnel. Afgani's only have the mountains of Pakistan to run to. To this day there are bomb craters in Vietnam so deep that you could park a bus in them and yet there are tunnels right beside the crater that are still untouched.

The truth of the Vietnam war is that although the body count is much higher than Afganastan, our troops won every single battle. The media and a president without a backbone lost the war for Vietnam.