WHY GILMER ALWAYS WINS!

BULLDOGBACKER1

I moved to Gilmer about 5 yrs ago and although my children attend another school i keep up with the Area Teams but especially the Gilmer Buckeyes. At first i was amazed at how people around town were crazy beyond normal crazy for the Buckeyes.They were very successful in fact they had just won the State Championship. One of the guys i just met at my new job, because we didn't know anyone, came by my house and he brought a game film from the State game. He was ever so excited about this play and that player etc... I thought these people have been brainwashed.There were some who didn't like the Coach and said the usual " I could have won State if i had those players that he has on his team". One particular day some lady, said that Coach Traylor was arrogant, and, that her son was done wrong by the coaching staff and Coach Traylor in particular. If this young man didn't play football he would ruin his chances for other sports. I got mad and said the nerve of this coach to do this to these young men. I went and watched their games and formed in my own theory look at these players my god a 2 yr old could win with these, and, Coach Traylor is just very lucky to get these particular kids. I seen him yelling on the sidelines and thought you knuckle head, he is making a fool of himself for yelling at the officials, and, what kind of example is he setting for the kids! This was my attitude! Everytime i would get a notion that someone wasn't a "Traylor Fan" i would act like a child and talk of how he isn't going to do that next year or wait till this group graduates he won't win another District Championship no not next year. A couple of times i seen him at the bank or club Wal Mart ,and, i spoke to him but he just nodded ,not real friendly ,and, i was like i can't believe this arrogant cocky coach!! On another occasion i was at the bank, i heard a gentleman telling the clerk how Jeff Traylor was a one of the top christian men she believed in town. I laughed and said he has the whole town brainwashed that he is the next messiah!! Then after the next year going to the games when i had the chance and following every newspaper article about the buckeyes or tv show on friday night they weren't supposed to be good but yet they still are winning. The next year the same thing and the next and the next the same ole story! I visited with alot of his players who my children know and would come to the house and i would pick their brain and ask questions about this or that and especially Coach Traylor but never anything that i thought i was going to hear about the coaches. They would tell me how he has top college coaches on his cell phone,such Mack Brown from Texas or Stoops from University of Oklahoma. If you want to play at the next level he will do all he can to make that happen for these young men. But even the players who don't get much playing time had super things to say about being a part of the Buckeyes and how it means alot to walk out of the tunnel and be a Gilmer Buckeye. The sense of pride they have and the values that these coaches instill in these young men had me shocked wow what is going on this is not what i was expecting to hear about Traylor and his assistants. I heard you can't cuss in practice or be disrespectful to teammates etc.. You have to hold yourself accountable for your actions away from the football field also. If you get in trouble or have a incident away from the field you better hope Coach Traylor doesn't find out because his program isn't ony about football but also morals and standards that the coaches hold to and expect the players to as well. I can say that i had to speak with Coach Traylor on couple of issues in the last year and found him very approachable and very helpful. The program had a player who was terminally ill and Coach Traylor dedicated the season to his honor and was involved till the end with the student who lost the battle with the disease. This year the Buckeyes lost their announcer to cancer and dedicated the game i believe to the honor of this man. I even hear Coach Traylor gave a half time speech during the Kilgore game about this man and his battle with cancer and his never quit attitude! I hear all the time about the Buckeye players the things they do to help others in the community and that the coaches work crazy crazy hours looking at film and preparation for the next opponent etc.. I am very much sold on the program and i think the people of Gilmer have every right to be proud and boast of the success of the Buckeyes! People that speak against the program are either ignorant as i was or part of the opposing team and i believe jealous of Gilmer Buckeye Success because society

Nice write up, there, but I still wouldn't know "WHY GILMER ALWAYS WINS" from it. I can sum it up a little faster. Gilmer wins because they execute their plays, they wrap up their tackles, and they have some talent and good coaching. That combination always wins games.

I am glad that you like Traylor as the coach there. It is no secret that he keeps a tight rein on those boys there at Gilmer and wants them to be pillars of the community and GISD rather than problems for the community and school.

Hmm, actually I can sum up why Gilmer is on top in four words: Coachable kids with talent.

Gilmer has started a winning tradition but it has not always been that way. We used to be the team that got beat by 50-60 points. It was painful to watch by the Buckeye faithful and I have to say it is much better on the other side of those years.

Jeff gets fired up during the games but it's all about standing up for his "kids." And those players don't just love football, they have a special bond with their coach and his staff. The players year end and year out may not all excel at what they do but they give that little extra each week and it shows collectively as a team. They are proud to be Buckeyes and we as fans, fanatic as we may seem, are proud of their effort. We know when football is over these young men will be better individuals, not because of the games they won but the class they have shown along the way.

Jeff and staff do not teach cocky. Any strutting is done by the fans. LOL

Gilmer has started a winning tradition but it has not always been that way. We used to be the team that got beat by 50-60 points. It was painful to watch by the Buckeye faithful and I have to say it is much better on the other side of those years.

Jeff gets fired up during the games but it's all about standing up for his "kids." And those players don't just love football, they have a special bond with their coach and his staff. The players year end and year out may not all excel at what they do but they give that little extra each week and it shows collectively as a team. They are proud to be Buckeyes and we as fans, fanatic as we may seem, are proud of their effort. We know when football is over these young men will be better individuals, not because of the games they won but the class they have shown along the way.

Jeff and staff do not teach cocky. Any strutting is done by the fans. LOL

Some, not I, would question whether that would be true in a losing season (some already have). I think it would. Traylor and staff, like Evans and his staff here in Tatum sees the game as merely a part of what he does. They are teaching boys to be men, or at least trying to, win or lose.

I apolgize didn't mean to put on 3 times not computer wiz just wanted folks to get what i was trying to say and if someone knows how to delete the first 2 please tell me! sorry

The site is slow to respond sometimes. That is why they are putting the Smoaky.com on a faster server with better bandwidth. I have had to keep myself from hitting "Add Reply" repeatedly because I am spoiled to a very fast connection.