Debra Medina's comments on Mom Patriot Website

parentofredheads

Thought some of you might find this interesting... where's Hares? LOL!

Question: I have a question. On your website you say ... "Texans enjoy the very best healthcare in the world. Our hospitals, doctors and nurses would be better able to deliver those services more efficiently and at lower costs if the government would stop the micromanagement. Medina calls for the elimination of mandates in Texas. These mandates have driven health insurance costs up by as much as 50%."

Could you explain what a mandate is and how eliminating them will drive down costs?

Medina's Answer: Mandates are things that every health insurance policy must cover like in-vitro fertilization. There are a lot of us moms out there that don't need that coverage but we pay for it anyway. 75 of those things in Texas "mandated" by our legislature that have tripled the cost of health insurance in Texas. The best anecdote for most of what ails us is the free market. That old lesson of supply and demand. Let's let the govt use it's bully pulpit to say to the health insurance providers in Texas, "we hear from constituents they need _______" but let's not legislate that everyone in the market provide. Not the job of government to micromanage healthcare or any other market for that matter.

----------

Question: Since you're a home-school mom, I'm sure you have many opinions about the poor quality of education in Texas. As Governor of Texas, what are some of your ideas to improve Texas schools?

Medina's Answer: As for education:

We need a return to local control and we must expect excellence. We Texans deserve excellence in education. and we remain concerned about the quality of our schools despite the fact that funding of public education has more than doubled in recent years. Promoting competition, local control, and guidance will allow us to reduce cost, increase performance, and improve the quality in our schools.

I've asked Medina the following questions.. I'll let you know how she responds.

"Ms. Medina, although I agree on all of your stances, I am concerned about your experience.

1) Experience in dealing with seasoned politicians and attorneys, how will you deal with them?

2) Who are you considering as your lietuenant governor?

3) Who will you go to with regards to legalese?

4) Do you believe you are prepared for this job instead of on-the-job training?"

I've asked Medina the following questions.. I'll let you know how she responds.

"Ms. Medina, although I agree on all of your stances, I am concerned about your experience.

1) Experience in dealing with seasoned politicians and attorneys, how will you deal with them?

2) Who are you considering as your lietuenant governor?

3) Who will you go to with regards to legalese?

4) Do you believe you are prepared for this job instead of on-the-job training?"

Here are her answers:

I think I have all the right experience with none of the corrupt political baggage to go along with it. I'm a mom, an educator, a registered nurse and have worked/managed over 25 years in healthcare (the for-profit, highly regulated kind). I've started and run a successful small business for the past 8 years. In addition to working in house as a consultant for a law firm to now supplying legal nurse consulting through my own business, I've worked with attorneys in all sorts of litigation and served as an expert in many capacities. I've been involved in grassroots politics working at the county, senate district and state level as an activist and serving nearly 3 terms as the Republican County chairman. All that to say, where I don't know the answer, I have a pretty good network and know how to use it ---and it's growing everyday.

I am not currently considering anyone for lieutenant governor.

As regards to "legalese," as I mentioned, I am more seasoned in that area than you may intially assume and in the area where I don't know the answers I do know who to go to, in what has become an ever-growing network of business partners and consultants, including lawyers.

When it come to on-the-job training, I believe the real thing all politicians need to be trained in to be just leaders is the proper role of government. We don't know what crises will befall our newly elected officials. We'd better hope that whatever comes, they tackle the problem while still upholding the constitution, the rule of law and our freedom. Most today will toss the rule of law for convenience, the old a little freedom for some security lie. NOT ON MY WATCH. So while I will definitely learn new things on the job, I think I have proven that I do already know and understand deeply the most important thing, and that is government's proper role in our lives. That governs best which governs least.

Oh, and about that political experience thing, none for David, or George W (Washington) or Ronald Reagan or scores of others who stepped in to serve for such a time as this. I'd be honored to represent you in this coming term.

More:

Regarding illegals:

I have often discussed the importance of upholding our laws and is strongly committed to fierce immigration law enforcement. I believe that it is only one facet, however, of what needs to be a multifaceted approach to the problem. While much rhetoric has been thrown at the problem, we've not seen progress towards workable solutions. I want to be sure that we lead with policies and actions that will cure the disease and not merely treat the symptoms. Whatever the recommendations, it is important that we enforce the law justly because we are all created equal. I will support the punishment of criminal behavior but am also committed to integrity in that punishment and to the prevention of further criminal behavior. I plan to enforce immigration laws and border security regardless of the actions of the federal government. I will export illegal aliens. I will punish employers hiring illegal aliens.

I am not in favor of amnesty as it would send the message that our laws mean nothing. The immigrants who come to American through legal channels spend years waiting and it would be unfair to grant citizenship to lawless intruders with a wave of a pen.

I also believe, for the same reason (the respect for the rule of law) that our immigration laws should be enforced. Taking it a bit further, if our private property rights were respected, and we were able to defend our property against illegal intrusion, we would have fewer problems with our border.

I will be meeting with the Texas Border Sheriffs Association very soon to discuss some real solutions to the illegal immigration problem. The lip service that the career politicians give to this issue are hollow promises for political reasons and this campaign is about real answers to real problems. So, at this time, we have not researched the cost and effectiveness of a fence and I won't make empty promises.

----------

Secession:

I supports nullification and interposition over secession. Make no mistake that I am a staunch warrior for state sovereignty, however I believe that nullification and interposition are the best proper remedy to maintain sovereignty for the following reasons:

1. Nullification and interposition are the primary provisions the founders outlined for states to defend themselves against an overreaching federal government.

2. Texas sovereignty is obviously the top priority but we also have a commitment to the Union that should not be severed lightly. Nullification and interposition preserve the union while protecting the states.

3. We must first aggressively pursue nullification and interposition before secession because it is not fair to our compact with our sister states to simply leave the union without first actually standing up to the over-reaching federal government.

Secession is not a dirty word with me. I simply do not believe, however, that it is the next necessary step. I have an unwavering commitment to the 10th amendment and believe that Texas must stand up and push back against any attempts to abuse the Constitution.