No. 3 Texas vs. No. 20 Oklahoma

chase.colston

No. 3 Texas vs. No. 20 Oklahoma  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Red River Rivalry?

• Texas
    • Oklahoma

Just got back in from the fair, and what a weird game that was to watch. So many mistakes. McCoy fumbling that ball on the 3 yard line, the pick McCoy threw in the 4th qtr, ...the idiot sooner who tried to field that punt, ect. It was mostly painful to watch. There were flashes of brilliance on defense for Texas both against the run, and some of the pass defense.

On Bradford, I think it was foolish for Stoops to run him out there today. Reminded me of Peterson a few years ago, when Texas beat him up and knocked him out of the game early. Players like Bradford will always give it up for the team, but it's up to the coach to do the right thing when a player is not ready.

All in all I am pleased with the outcome. OU played #### hard and deserve a lot of credit. The weather and the atmosphere was fantastic. It was loud as hell in the Cotton Bowl. My date and I had a great time at the game and the fair. Can't wait 'till next year. BTW, that win makes an even split of the last 14 games between UT and OU.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Bradford, I think it was foolish for Stoops to run him out there today. Reminded me of Peterson a few years ago, when Texas beat him up and knocked him out of the game early. Players like Bradford will always give it up for the team, but it's up to the coach to do the right thing when a player is not ready.

Big Game Bob has always been about Big Game Bob. Gresham and Bradford should both be in the NFL right now; neitherh had anything to prove, and neither were going to get their stock any higher with another year of play. It just makes no sense at all - you go to college to get a career. These two early first rounders shunned a multi-million dollar per year career to come back to college.

Don't be surprised to see Bradford come back next year. Especially if he needs surgery and isn't 100% when the combines start.

Bob Stoops did not "persuade" Bradford, Gresham or McCoy to come back for this year. It was their own decision, based upon what THEY wanted, and upon the advice of people more in a position to know than those on message boards. Would I have come back? Probably not, but it wasn't MY decision.

I have read on more than one Horn board posters extolling the "atmosphere" that UT generates, that results in many Longhorn players returning who could otherwise have gone pro... guess that that is different in that case.

Bradford played the entire Baylor game, took some hits, threw the ball 49 times. The doctors had cleared him to play, Stoops doesn't "run him out there" just on a whim.

As has been abundantly pointed out here, "injuries happen". Sam's injury was good for Texas, bad for OU...

That is all.

The odds were good that Bradford could have played the entire game without taking that particular type of hit where he fell on that shoulder. Just bad luck, that's all.

Bob Stoops did not "persuade" Bradford, Gresham or McCoy to come back for this year. It was their own decision, based upon what THEY wanted, and upon the advice of people more in a position to know than those on message boards. Would I have come back? Probably not, but it wasn't MY decision.

Here's Stoops quote after the game, "We were going with information from doctors. He understood the entire situation. Sam is a bright, young guy. He knows what he wants. Unfortunately, it just hasn't worked out for him." Sounds kind of cold to me. And somebody that was there, please tell me Stoops went out to check on Bradford. The TV coverage didn't show it, but I know coaches routinely go on the field to check on players that require enough attention to get help off the field. If they don't go on the field, they at least meet them as soon as they get to the sideline.

I have read on more than one Horn board posters extolling the "atmosphere" that UT generates, that results in many Longhorn players returning who could otherwise have gone pro... guess that that is different in that case.

I'm sure this is the case at many universities. I also know at UT, Mack helps players determine where they might get drafted and then the players have to make the decision as to whether or not they want to go pro or return to Austin. I'm sure they do something similar at OU. I'm probably too hard on Stoops; I just think he should have advised Bradford and Gresham to enter the draft. Colt had a reason to stay, he could have upped his stock; as it is right now though, he is hurting his stock. Sergie Kindle didn't like his draft report - “After they said I was a second- or third-round choice, I didn’t even bother reading all of it,” Kindle said. “I saw that and threw it away. I said, ‘OK, I’m coming back.’” To each his own - I hope Bradford and Gresham both have great NFL careers.

all those sacks take away from the rushing total. Chris Brown and Demarco Murray both had some good runs in the first half

Chris Brown finished with 23 yards on 12 carries. Murray had -3 on 5 carries. Brown's longest carry was 15 yards, so he had 8 yards on his other 11 carries. Murray's longest was 2 yards.

Chris Brown finished with 23 yards on 12 carries. Murray had -3 on 5 carries. Brown's longest carry was 15 yards, so he had 8 yards on his other 11 carries. Murray's longest was 2 yards.

Texas' D line imposed its will on OU's O line. Simple as that, when you win the line of scrimmage, you usually either completely shut down the opponent's rushing attack or severely limit it. And we saw the result.

Musings a few days after the dust has settled:

I have seen a lot of comments on this and other boards that credit OU's first half D with great success but that Greg Davis figured it out & we didn't adjust in the 2nd half. Upon reflection, I could not disagree more.

First, & I believe that Mack himself has been quoted in pre-game interviews with Craig Way that UT is a passing team first to set up the run. This is exactly what we were in the early years of the Stoops era.

What Venables did in the first half was to acknowledge it & he put in a scheme that literally stifled the Horn passing attack. At halftime, Davis decided they had to run so he inserted the big back & started a lot of mis-direction & lead plays that had some success. It forced us back into our base D (4-3) & that's why Ryan Reynolds was back on the field (he was coming out on 3rd and long plays in the first half).

Now, to say that the UT O had success & figured us out in the 2nd half is a relative thing. Better than the first half?, absolutely. Up to their standards, hardly. We still stuffed them in the 2nd half, it just manifested itself differently.

The problem, for OU at least, is that the Texas D stuffed our run offense, and that isn't good in a game like last Saturday. :(

The O lost the game in the first quarter by failing to capitalize on 4 scoring opportunities. 2 FGs, I missed FG, and 1 fumble only gave us 6 pts off a totally dominating quarter. That and 5 turnovers. Our OL is just not good enough right now to beat a quality team like Texas. Next year they should be.

Shades of 1967, and that's what I was thinking the entire game.

Very disappointed in the outcome, b/c we could have won this game, but not at all disappointed in our guys. I'm proud of their fight.

Good win for Texas - I'm already looking forward to next year!

quote.gif

Good win, the UT coaching staff and fans are REALLY excited that G. Davis has finally changed things up after this game

Colt running more draws

Goodwin, M Williams, Shipley ( moving to slot) and Dan buckner waiting at the TE position. (YESSS!)

Whittaker as the co starter with emerging Newton

Unfortunately, our O-line still looks bad. But going up against a very talented OU DLine then nearly any team will struggle. The CB covering J. Shipley was outstanding.

First off, I'm NOT a TX or OU fan! I don't know why all these texas fans love Mack Brown. Yes he is a great recruiter but I don't think thats hard being in this state and at the best D1 school in this state. He has been there since 97-98 (somewhere in there) and has only one Big 12 championship, although he does have a National Championship (See VY). OU was missing there best players or playmakers from last year and all he can do is beat them by 3 with basically the whole team back!

I think OU play calling on both sides of the ball cost them the game more than anybody won it. Texas should be on the level of USC or FL with all the talent they get every year but their not and Mack Brown is the reason. Yeah ten win seasons are great, but look at the comp yall play( Monroe, Wy, Rice, NT etc...every year) You can say what you want but he cost yall more National Champs then yall think because of his coaching/coaches1

First off, I'm NOT a TX or OU fan! I don't know why all these texas fans love Mack Brown. Yes he is a great recruiter but I don't think thats hard being in this state and at the best D1 school in this state. He has been there since 97-98 (somewhere in there) and has only one Big 12 championship, although he does have a National Championship (See VY). OU was missing there best players or playmakers from last year and all he can do is beat them by 3 with basically the whole team back!

I think OU play calling on both sides of the ball cost them the game more than anybody won it. Texas should be on the level of USC or FL with all the talent they get every year but their not and Mack Brown is the reason. Yeah ten win seasons are great, but look at the comp yall play( Monroe, Wy, Rice, NT etc...every year) You can say what you want but he cost yall more National Champs then yall think because of his coaching/coaches1

Whole team back, huh?

Quan Cosby - 92 receptions, 1123 yds, 10 TDs. It's taking two guys to replace him and they still aren't the comfort blanket Cosby was.

Brandon Collins - out because adademics. Made some great grabs against OU last year.

Chris Ogbannaya - he wasn't flashy, but was very instrumental in the passing and rushing game at big times. 370+yds rushing and 580 yds recieving isn't being matched by a back on this year's squad.

Jarred Norton - the Middle LB is gone from the unit. He was big time last year.

Brian Orakpo - I don't even think i need to tell you what he accomplished.

Roy Miller and Henry Melton - not big names last year, silent studs that didn't get the recognition with Orakpo on the line.

So please, tell us what you DO know about the Longhorns becuase you just told us what you DIDN'T know.

Last time I checked, Stoops is a pretty good recruiter as well. The talent level's at UT and OU are pretty much similar. Surely you can do better than simply bashing Mack. And another thing, Stoops only has one National Championship as well. They dont hand that trophy out to just anybody ya know.

OK, then. Tell me who you would hire to replace Mack and provide evidence that that person WILL do a better job. :getlost:

Whole team back, huh?

Quan Cosby - 92 receptions, 1123 yds, 10 TDs. It's taking two guys to replace him and they still aren't the comfort blanket Cosby was.

Brandon Collins - out because adademics. Made some great grabs against OU last year.

Chris Ogbannaya - he wasn't flashy, but was very instrumental in the passing and rushing game at big times. 370+yds rushing and 580 yds recieving isn't being matched by a back on this year's squad.

Jarred Norton - the Middle LB is gone from the unit. He was big time last year.

Brian Orakpo - I don't even think i need to tell you what he accomplished.

Roy Miller and Henry Melton - not big names last year, silent studs that didn't get the recognition with Orakpo on the line.

So please, tell us what you DO know about the Longhorns becuase you just told us what you DIDN'T know.

Thats why I said basically! The only ones that they miss are Cosby and Orakpo! Those others are names you just threw out there to make it seem thats why yall won by 3! You got to be the only tx fan i know talking about how good Norton and Melton were, get out of here with that! But if sergio kindle would live up to his potential like yall think he can then he could replace Orakpo, but with only two sacks hes got a long way to go. They have no playmakers on offense this year besides Shipley. Stoops has 6 Big 12 Championships and 1 National plus has played in 2 others I belive.

If you need any evidence to see if hes a great coach or not, go watch the game with OSU last year. OSU was a BAD team and it took EVERYTHING tx had to beat them! All I'm saying his this team could have a lil more sucess under a better coach!

IF yall make it to the title game against an SEC opp watch and see what happens!

Thats why I said basically! The only ones that they miss are Cosby and Orakpo! Those others are names you just threw out there to make it seem thats why yall won by 3! You got to be the only tx fan i know talking about how good Norton and Melton were, get out of here with that! But if sergio kindle would live up to his potential like yall think he can then he could replace Orakpo, but with only two sacks hes got a long way to go. They have no playmakers on offense this year besides Shipley. Stoops has 6 Big 12 Championships and 1 National plus has played in 2 others I belive.

If you need any evidence to see if hes a great coach or not, go watch the game with OSU last year. OSU was a BAD team and it took EVERYTHING tx had to beat them! All I'm saying his this team could have a lil more sucess under a better coach!

IF yall make it to the title game against an SEC opp watch and see what happens!

Jared norton out = move Muckelroy to MLB who is normally a WLB. that brings K. Robinson onto the field. Norton was a stout MLB. Having Robinson in there is a drastic dropoff as he has trouble tackling most days.

With Collins out we are down to a true freshman there. At least he has sprinter speed.

If you don't think Chris O was good you need your head examined. He was 3 times the pass blocker and pass catcher than any back Texas has now and just as good at running the ball. We have yet to replace him yet. If Fozzy stays Healthy he will.

Roy Miller and Henry Melton are being replaced by first year starters. Houston was already there so we are lucky to have him back. 3 of the front 4 are new to the DL so no we don't have BASICALLY the same team.

Lots of football before Texas makes the NC game. Odds are they won't be ranked #1 either like OU was. They still have to get there before we can talk about that. But If they do face Alabama or Florida I fully expect to see them make either one have to pass the ball. OU was the #2 rushing team in the country and Texas shut them completely down and Muckelroy didn't play but 1 and 1/2 qtrs of play.

And outside of the Ohio St. series a couple years back, when was the last time tx played a big out of conference game? They shedule nobody and thats part of the reasons for the 10 win seasons, but more power to you if you want to do that.

Maybe you should study more. Do your research first, then come and talk your trash. Take a look around at the schools that have BACKED OUT of series' with Texas in just the last couple of years. How about Utah? How about Arkansas.

Don't forget, the mind is a terrible thing too waste.

As has already been noted by me and others, we watched an excellent defensive game Saturday.

And at the risk of sounding like an OU homer (I am, BTW), I will say that OU's D impressed me more than UT's... the reason?

While the UT defense absolutely slammed the door on OU's rushing attack, only lost opportunities kept us from scoring at least another 2 - 3 times. And I am crediting the Texas defense, too.

I've been mighty tough on Venables in the past at times, but what I saw on Saturday was the best defensive coaching job I've seen since the 2003 Texas game. Consider:

Look at the starting point for UT possessions in the game. They started past their own 40 EIGHT times in the game, and in OU territory SIX times. To hold the Horns to 16 points in a situation like that is fantastic, IMO.

It was the TOs that killed us, not any defensive failure.

^Typical... UT didn't win, OU lost.

Hey, where in my post did I say or imply that? I just pointed out that, despite horrible field position (NOTED IN PREVIOUS POST), that OU's defense did a magnificent job.I didn't knock Texas, as a matter of fact, I gave mega props to the Texas D for holding us to minus yardage.

But since you brought it up...

I didn't say anything about the fact that Texas beat an OU team without its starting QB, its AA tight end, a starting O lineman...I didn't say any of those things, did I? :D Hey, I'm funnin' ya, don't get upset... After all, UT DID win the game. Be happy!

I am just looking for the positives, don't rain on my parade! ;)