Trick Plays

benchwarmer9

Also, our back-up QB was a great at drop-kicking field goals, so instead of having someone hold the ball, he would recieve the snap and just drop-kick the ball in. He was good, too. Hit a 47 yarder one day. Every once in a while, he would throw a pass when everyone was expecting a field goal kick.

Anyone else think of The Longest Yard (the REAL one with Burt Reynolds) when you hear the word "dropkick"?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You must not be a teenager if you are running the triple option......not that that's a bad thing.

HAHA.. I wish.. Those were the days.... Triple option is hard to read on NCAA.. It takes time throught the game.. lol

And the best part...................................... You can create a player and finish his high school career... State Titles everywhere..

HAHA.. I wish.. Those were the days.... Triple option is hard to read on NCAA.. It takes time throught the game.. lol

And the best part...................................... You can create a player and finish his high school career... State Titles everywhere..

I play with my nephews every now and then; they have a hard time defending smashmouth football.

You must not be a teenager if you are running the triple option......not that that's a bad thing.

watching nebraska run the option was about as good as it got. stupid spread & west coast offenses. :banghead:

It the side snap legal in Texas?

Rule says the snap must be made in a constant, continuous motion to a player who was eligible at the time of the snap.

Means you can't snap to a down lineman, nor can you snap the ball comepletely laterally either. BUT, lots of people run the gate, and call that a lateral snap. But the guy they are snapping to is behind the "line", who are lined up at the edge of the field.

Hope this helps.

Saw a team once on a two-point conversion; QB turned around and faked a couple of handoffs, then he simply flipped the ball back over his shoulder towards the goal post. TE was sitting there all alone.

Ran this when I was in Celeste. I'd never seen it, but be danged if it didn't work three time my first year there.

We also ran a version of the tunell screen called 'tunell miracle' that I saw go for like 6 laterals and 60 something yards before being tackled on the 6 yd. line. Craziest finish to a game I've ever seen.

Great topic, I love trick plays. The starburst return is awesome, but with the decline of kickers in general and the onset of the sky kick, watermelon kick, etc., kick returns are harder to set up and execute than ever.

My favorite trick play is a fake punt. We line up in 'tight' punt formation like this:

----------------->ETGCGTE<-----------------------

-------------------->U U<-------------------------

-----------------------S

----------------------P

On the snap, everyone blocks to the right (can go opposite), and the left upback becomes what would be the FB running Power. He runs at the end of the line, and if anyone is there, he kicks out. If not, he turns up and becomes the lead blocker downfield. The right upback takes the snap from the center and follows the other upback. Safety and Punter run speed option fake to the right. The big trick is that the center just snaps the ball to behind his butt and holds it there, the up back takes it right off his butt.

Works like a CHAMP! first time we ran it was for 60, and the play side A gap player was the only one who knew it. He chased our kid down and tackled him on the 3 yard line.

BTW, I got this from Pete Hart in Chico. I know he was in Bridgeport forever, don't know if he got it from there or not.

joe koesel came up with this at harmony. twins formation with a split backfield. qb walks down the the line towards the flanker talking to him trying to get him "lined up properly". direct snap to rb up the middle.

joe koesel came up with this at harmony. twins formation with a split backfield. qb walks down the the line towards the flanker talking to him trying to get him "lined up properly". direct snap to rb up the middle.

I remember HP running a variation of this play against Marshall in the State Championship game..... except Stafford was walking away from the line like he was fixing to call a timeout.

<br />I would hate to be the dealer in the starburst, he might get decleated

That's exactly what I thought and then I seen that exact play 'starburst' this past weekend in a college football game. It was interesting and you had better keep your eyes on the ball. It worked pretty well.

Rule says the snap must be made in a constant, continuous motion to a player who was eligible at the time of the snap.

Means you can't snap to a down lineman, nor can you snap the ball comepletely laterally either. BUT, lots of people run the gate, and call that a lateral snap. But the guy they are snapping to is behind the "line", who are lined up at the edge of the field.

Hope this helps.

Gilmer did it to Daingerfield a couple of weeks ago. Vance Green was in the endzone before anyone knew what happened.

Tenaha ran a double reverse pass against us a couple of years ago. Executed it to perfection on a 3rd and long from their 25 yd line. Fooled the entire Joaquin D except for Eric Permenter who tackled the Tiger receiver after a 60 yd gain. Coach Tyner and Coach Ward are brilliant at teaching that kind of stuff.

Trick plays can be affected if they are used as a surprise (ie: trick). Although, I don't beieve that you should spend an extraordinary amount of time on them in practice. Work on executing your offense to the best of your ability and you won't need any trick plays.