Shead or Calhoun?

yomammasophat

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shead is better. Calhoun was an awesome high school running back, but he didnt make it in college football. He didn't even make it out of practice. Calhoun couldnt handle the college hits, and I believe that Shead will, so that makes Shead the better player.

You should do a little more research before you type. Calhoun is a RS freshman at OU, #23. He's getting limited playing time, but with D. Murray's track record of injuries, that could change quickly.

With Murray and Brown ahead of him at OU, Calhoun was going to have time to develop and learn the OU system before being put out there. I've seen some of the raw video from spring camps and Jeramie had developed a few bad habits in HS that he's been working on cleaning up. The coaches are excited about his development and they expect him to contribute big over the next 2 years.

If you haven't heard of Calhoun, you really aren't a HS football fan in E. Texas. He was Rivals #1 rated Texas RB in 2007.

Guest bulldog_467

I don't see how you can compare a college freshman to a senior in high school. And also Van is a way bigger school than Cayuga. You just can't compare a big school running back to a 1A running back.

With Murray and Brown ahead of him at OU, Calhoun was going to have time to develop and learn the OU system before being put out there. I've seen some of the raw video from spring camps and Jeramie had developed a few bad habits in HS that he's been working on cleaning up. The coaches are excited about his development and they expect him to contribute big over the next 2 years.

If you haven't heard of Calhoun, you really aren't a HS football fan in E. Texas. He was Rivals #1 rated Texas RB in 2007.

The same could be said of anyone who claims they have not heard of the shead boy from Cayuga. I watched Calhoun when he was in high school and he was very good. Shead is a stronger, more explosive runner, but is not near as agressive as Calhoun. Calhoun is slightly better on the cut, bit I think Shead has more physical tools. Judging them at the same stage in their career, Shead gets the nod.

I don't see how you can compare a college freshman to a senior in high school. And also Van is a way bigger school than Cayuga. You just can't compare a big school running back to a 1A running back.

I remember people saying that Adrian Peterson couldn't be a good college RB because he was at 3A Palestine and that 3A football just wasn't the same as 5A football.

Traylon Shead can play football at any level. He just happens to live in or around Bethel, TX and attends Cayuga HS. The size of the school doesn't make the player less valuable.

People are comparing a Sr RB in 2007 with a Sr RB in 2009--not who is better between the two today. People do it all the time, ie. Who was better, Earl Campbell or Adrian Peterson?

I agree somewhat. Of course stats will be different because of the difference, but an athlete is an athlete.

I was lucky enough to coach Jermie Calhoun. I have never seen Shead play in person. But if Oklahoma (Calhoun) and Texas (Shead) want you, you are pretty darn good. As for who is better, ask in 5 or 6 years after both of their college careers are over. Just like Peterson, whoever said he couldn't play big time ball because he was from 3A Palestine, well...........I don't think I need to explain that one.

I remember people saying that Adrian Peterson couldn't be a good college RB because he was at 3A Palestine and that 3A football just wasn't the same as 5A football.

Traylon Shead can play football at any level. He just happens to live in or around Bethel, TX and attends Cayuga HS. The size of the school doesn't make the player less valuable.

People are comparing a Sr RB in 2007 with a Sr RB in 2009--not who is better between the two today. People do it all the time, ie. Who was better, Earl Campbell or Adrian Peterson?

I thought Palestine was 4a when AD was playing there - Was in Jacksonvilles district

The ranking thing is kinda why this question came to mind. Seen both play. I would say its pretty much a draw as far as raw natural athletic ability and talent. Each have great physical attributes and have either started playing with, or committed to a major D-1 school. I just thought it was rather surprising to see Shead not ranked by rivals even in the top 10 in the nation in running backs. I know there was a lot of talk a few years back about Calhoun's ranking. So if this system is so solid then why is shead not higher? I believe he deserves to be!!

The ranking thing is kinda why this question came to mind. Seen both play. I would say its pretty much a draw as far as raw natural athletic ability and talent. Each have great physical attributes and have either started playing with, or committed to a major D-1 school. I just thought it was rather surprising to see Shead not ranked by rivals even in the top 10 in the nation in running backs. I know there was a lot of talk a few years back about Calhoun's ranking. So if this system is so solid then why is shead not higher? I believe he deserves to be!!

This year just may have a stronger class of running backs than Jermie's senior year. I think some of it is marketing too, and the fact that Shead plays 1A football. I've seen him play once, and he is a fantastic athlete and should do well at Texas. From what I've seen of UT's running backs, they could use him this year.