Changes at Texas

BeatNavy

Mack Brown has announced that the team will now reshape it's lineup to become more multi-dimensional. Chiles and Kirkendoll are being benched as starters and will be replaced by Grissom (a freshmen) who gives them a vertical threat and can block and Malcolm Williams (another strong blocker and deep threat). Jordan Shipley will move back to the slot and match up primarily against LBs. Greg Smith will replace Dan Buckner at TE (Buckner has been slowed by a knee injury) to enhance blocking on the run. Also, Tray Allen will replace Michael Huey at Right Guard. The RBs are Whittaker and the big bruiser....Newton and McGee are now in backup mode.

Mack Brown has announced that the team will now reshape it's lineup to become more multi-dimensional. Chiles and Kirkendoll are being benched as starters and will be replaced by Grissom (a freshmen) who gives them a vertical threat and can block and Malcolm Williams (another strong blocker and deep threat). Jordan Shipley will move back to the slot and match up primarily against LBs. Greg Smith will replace Dan Buckner at TE (Buckner has been slowed by a knee injury) to enhance blocking on the run. Also, Tray Allen will replace Michael Huey at Right Guard. The RBs are Whittaker and the big bruiser....Newton and McGee are now in backup mode.

I have noticed Huey getting pushed back into the backfield quite frequently the last few games. He and Chris Hall both. That is not good. I think they also need to sit Hall down and let David Snow take over at the center spot. Newton and McGee are both still nursing injuries. Whitaker will probably end up hurt again in the next game or so, so the revolving door at TB is going to continue.

I have noticed Huey getting pushed back into the backfield quite frequently the last few games. He and Chris Hall both. That is not good. I think they also need to sit Hall down and let David Snow take over at the center spot. Newton and McGee are both still nursing injuries. Whitaker will probably end up hurt again in the next game or so, so the revolving door at TB is going to continue.

Same announcement, Snow has moved to backup center vice the guard position (he had a tough game against OU). When Hall got hurt last year, Snow did a great job at center.

Sounds good to me, but if the line doesn't do a better job of protecting McCoy, he won't have time to look deep. The O-line has been by far the biggest disapointment this season. They have been getting pushed around quite a bit. I am glad the coaching staff is not looking past the teams weaknesses and hoping what they do well will outweigh them. (Like a certain pro team in Dallas)

Small correction its Goodwin, not Grissom

this is a smart move to me...goodwin has great speed and good hands. with him wide and shipley back in the slot against LBs and will still be drawing double coverage, will give tons of one on one match ups with no safety help on goodwin. advantage texas. and when goodwin starts making plays, defenses will have to start paying attention to him, freeing up shipley...again, advantage texas. moving buckner to TE will be an interesting experiment.

to me, david snow was the one getting pushed around and committing so many penalties. tons of potential, just doesn't seem quite ready. maybe he will do better as a center. well trey allen...your chance has finally come. a big time recruit in '07 but grades took him navarro way where he played at the pilgrims pride bowl in mt. pleasant! now it's time for him to show what texas has been missing. i very much like that texas saw that there were problems on offense and are doing what they can to correct them. hate to see chiles on the bench, but he wasn't doing what we expected him to.

The change Texas needs to make is to get Greg Davis out of there.

Yea they lead the nation in scoring this year and are tops in the nation over the last five years. Get rid of him. This coming from an aggie? You would love to have Greg Davis. Any team that gets beat 62-14 by a below average K-State team might need a new, OC,DC and HC.

this is a smart move to me...goodwin has great speed and good hands. with him wide and shipley back in the slot against LBs and will still be drawing double coverage, will give tons of one on one match ups with no safety help on goodwin. advantage texas. and when goodwin starts making plays, defenses will have to start paying attention to him, freeing up shipley...again, advantage texas. moving buckner to TE will be an interesting experiment.

to me, david snow was the one getting pushed around and committing so many penalties. tons of potential, just doesn't seem quite ready. maybe he will do better as a center. well trey allen...your chance has finally come. a big time recruit in '07 but grades took him navarro way where he played at the pilgrims pride bowl in mt. pleasant! now it's time for him to show what texas has been missing. i very much like that texas saw that there were problems on offense and are doing what they can to correct them. hate to see chiles on the bench, but he wasn't doing what we expected him to.

the way Texas substitutes to meet the situation, I fully expect Chiles to get his chances. He still brings all of that athleticism to the table. I think "getting benched" at Texas as an offensive skills player just means you are not the "go to" guy any longer but can expect to play. I think we will see a lot of Chiles over the coming games. And this may set better conditions for his use. But I do believe that Davis and Brown are trying to get a Texas offense on the field that allows them to start quickly and to present challenges to a defense as soon as they step on the field. This current offense needs to get more vertical and less 4-5 yards in the passing game AND must start running the ball better with RBs. Texas cannot afford to just be a second half team. Somebody will jump on them (like OSU the last several years) that might have a great defense (Florida, Alabama) that will not allow Texas to come from behind if they get down early.

Yea they lead the nation in scoring this year and are tops in the nation over the last five years. Get rid of him. This coming from an aggie? You would love to have Greg Davis. Any team that gets beat 62-14 by a below average K-State team might need a new, OC,DC and HC.

Have you ever read the forums at hornfans.com? Surely those aren't all aggies over there. Half of the posters on that site think he's good and the other half think a blind monkey could do the same job. It has nothing to do with A&M.

Have you ever read the forums at hornfans.com? Surely those aren't all aggies over there. Half of the posters on that site think he's good and the other half think a blind monkey could do the same job. It has nothing to do with A&M.

Davis is doing just fine...his record speaks for itself. That OU defense the other day was especially designed for this game and Venables had the talent to run it (the Aggies couldn't do it so don't try it). I often said last year after the season that teams learned from Texas last year when Davis made the great adjustments to a "no running game by RBs" by utilizing the quick pass over the middle. OU probably had the defense in mind by July or August and was ready for the Horns this time around. I still think that McCoy lacks that 2d WR to take the heat off of Shipley. Shipley and Cosby last year gave the defense no rest and no opportunity to concentrate on one receiver. That's a negative this year. And the negative from last year continues with the lack of a consistent running game; just makes it tougher this year. I think the Horns are going to crank it up a knotch in the coming weeks. Goodwin may be the spark for the offense and McCoy and Shipley.

Well personally i love seeing Goodwin get the starting job. Out of all the recievers on that roster he seemed to want it more than anyone. Also, i think Cody johnson needs to get more carries. He ran hard against OU. Run the little off tackles and zone runs with Fozzy, maybe let colt keep it a couple times and then get in the eye and go right at em!! That would open up a lot of possibilities.

Well personally i love seeing Goodwin get the starting job. Out of all the recievers on that roster he seemed to want it more than anyone. Also, i think Cody johnson needs to get more carries. He ran hard against OU. Run the little off tackles and zone runs with Fozzy, maybe let colt keep it a couple times and then get in the eye and go right at em!! That would open up a lot of possibilities.

There are times that I wonder why they just don't line up in an I formation with a fullback and Johnson at the TB and go right down their throats. And do it in the first quarter. Same on 3d and short, they always get fancy. If you're going for it on 3d and short, put Lamar Houston in at FB and Cody at the RB and go. Don't wait until you're inside the five yard line to use big Lamar.

Was Goodwin recruited by Texas as a football player? Or did he walk on? Absolute drop dead speed. And I think it's safe to say he's got hands and balance.

There are times that I wonder why they just don't line up in an I formation with a fullback and Johnson at the TB and go right down their throats. And do it in the first quarter. Same on 3d and short, they always get fancy. If you're going for it on 3d and short, put Lamar Houston in at FB and Cody at the RB and go. Don't wait until you're inside the five yard line to use big Lamar.

Was Goodwin recruited by Texas as a football player? Or did he walk on? Absolute drop dead speed. And I think it's safe to say he's got hands and balance.

Goodwin actually came to Texas on a track scholarship. As soon as he played in his first game, they changed it to a football scholarship. He is freakishly fast and a world class long jumper. A lot of people are talking Olympics for him easily.

Goodwin actually came to Texas on a track scholarship. As soon as he played in his first game, they changed it to a football scholarship. He is freakishly fast and a world class long jumper. A lot of people are talking Olympics for him easily.

I hope he stays healthy. In an Olympic year, football will interfere with track if he's that good.