Brandon Spikes suspended first half of Vandy game.

geauxtiger3

I just want anyone's opinion on this subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOy-RMIpF0

Is this act by Spikes worse than what Legarrette Blount did in Boise? And does the punishment he is receiving fit the crime?

This is just filthy.

According to what I have heard, it was like he was trying to gouge the guys eyes, which IMO is a lot worse than giving a guy a slobberknocker to the jaw. Spikes was playing dirty and got caught, only to get a slight slap on the wrist.

Yeah this is way worse....but of course he plays with the ncaa pride and joy tebow and the gators....if my boy dez gets suspended for a whole year for not saying the right things then spikes should be too....this is prolly not the only time he has done this, its prolly just the first time he has gotten caught.....If the florida coach had any guts he would make sit him out the rest of the year.....

I personally feel that he should've been suspended at least a whole game. They should be up on Vandy big at halftime anyway. It isn't like they are punishing him, just letting the backup get a little more PT. This just as bad as waht Blount did for Oregon and I tip my hat to Chip Kelly and the U of Oregon for sitting him the entire year. It seems it made a statement.

I've been seeing a lot of this lately. There was a high school kid that head butted a player without a helmet the other day. http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2009/10/31/h...ged-head-butt/4 . We all recall Albert Haynesworth and Andre Gurode :

. How can we forget LeGarrettte Blount who is being reinstated this weekend ? http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4524682 . This has happened in every part of football since Pop Warner to the NFL.

It happened 100 years ago, and it's going to happen as long as football is being played. Anyone who has played the game has had that are worse happen. I'm not saying it's right. The Alabama fans are calling for a season ending suspension. Well of course they are, they don't want to play against him in the S.E.C. Championship, if they beat L.S.U. .

I think he should have got a three game suspension, not a 1/2 game suspension that he was handed. Since Universities can't fine players, I think he should perform some sort of community service, and issue an apology. We haven't heard any apology.

Those that called in on the two shows that I listen to, said the "The World's largest outdoor cocktail party" should have been called the "World's largest ball room brawl" . I didn't watch that game, but they said there were many infractions happening. The refs just didn't see them.

Let's see.....the opposing player could have been blinded for life.

Yeah. Sitting out a half against a 30pt underdog sounds about right to me :banghead:

I agree with the previous poster. Suspend a player a year for lying.......1/2 game for trying to permanently injure

somebody. Sounds like typical NCAA news to me. What a joke punishment by the Florida coach. Is he going to make him write 100 times "I will not try to hurt somebody again" ?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...o&type=lgns

That's a very poor suspension and one that means nothing to Spikes.

You might as well just spit in the runningbacks face too Urban.

You taught him well Urban.

Is he what we call " TO BIG TO FAIL" "TO GOOD TO SUSPEND"

If I had a kid playing for me that did that it would be that last down he played.

There was an article this morning in the LNJ by an AP writer about this. Meyer was notified BY HIS WIFE the night of the incident and the mext morning by his D Coordinator about it and they were both very concerned. Meyer "initial reaction was to move on and forget it".

That's a class act for you right there in Urban Meyer. His star defensive player could've permantly damaged another player for life, and he wants to sweep it under the rug.

Well actually the NCAA didnt take any action against Spikes, it was all Meyer. At least he did something, but a half isnt really punishment enough. If they are going to suspend a player for a year for something he said, they need to be just as harsh on people who are trying to inflict possibly permanent damage.

Just because you try to injure somebody & fail doesn't make it ok. I've lost a lot of respect for Tebow too with the following comments he made. Excusing bad behavior because of the same is the whine used by everybody. It's always the other guys fault.

Tim Tebow:

When asked whether the Georgia game was dirtier than usual, he said "probably a little bit," but he wouldn't disclose his most horrific moment in the bottom of the pile.

“They wanted to do whatever they can to get an edge," Tebow said. "It happens a lot in college football. It happens more than people think. It’s not something I feel I need to converse about."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4619952

I dont think Spikes should be punished... I have to agree with Ealey... Its just part of the game...

Get serious. Are you saying that if you were playing the game and was at the bottom of the pile, that you would want someone trying to blind you by ramming his fingers into your eyes?

...yeah, getting irreparable damage to your precious eyesight is "just part of the game". :rolleyes:

Sorry, I find that to be just plain stupid. JMHO...

And I don't care if others are doing it or not (Ealey is probably a thug himself, thus his attitude that it's OK), it is still a thuggish type of behavior that, if unchecked, would lead to more and more of the same, ruining the game, IMO.

I agree with BlackwellSooner........I like smash mouth football......but what Spikes did was criminal.

I know Spikes isn't the first and probably won't be the last to pull something like that.

Tougher punishments would get it Out of the game.

That should Not be part of the game!

I personally feel that he should've been suspended at least a whole game. They should be up on Vandy big at halftime anyway. It isn't like they are punishing him, just letting the backup get a little more PT. This just as bad as waht Blount did for Oregon and I tip my hat to Chip Kelly and the U of Oregon for sitting him the entire year. It seems it made a statement.

I've gotta take exception to part of your post, db. What Spikes did was MUCH worse than what Blount did. Sure, depending on your mindset, Blount cheap-shotted the Boise player, but a blow to the jaw isn't likely to do any further damage than a loosened tooth and some loss of dignity. Spikes, OTOH, was maliciously trying to injure someone's eyesight! No comparison, IMO.

I agree with the rest of your post...