Best State Championship Game Ever?

wildcat42

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see how the Kilgore Game can be beat... You are about to lose in OT, and block the fieldgoal, and run it back...doesnt get much bigger than that.

Not entirely true.... Lincoln got the ball 1st in the 2nd OT and went nowhere. They were attempting about a 45-yd field goal just to get points on the board and Kilgore was going to get the ball back whether he made it or missed it. Unfortunately for Lincoln, Nick Sanders came flying off the edge to block the kick and then picked it up and raced 70 yards for the TD. Ballgame, 33-27 Dogs. The greatest football game I've ever seen.

BTW, in Dave Campbell's 50th anniversary issue which just came out, this game was listed in the top 50 games in Texas football history.

Even thou i'm a very open Alto fan, who loves high school football, college football, and professional football, the State Championship game in 1995 between Alto and Celina was a great one. Dave Campbell picked it as one of the best. Football is on my mind from August to February folks, and if u don't believe it, ask my family what we watch in person or on tv.. Love the game!!

Plano West vs. John Tyler (I think) early 90's - where the Plano announcers were going #### about their comeback, only to have JT run back the kickoff to win. This may not have been a championship game, but it was at Cowboy Stadium.

still love to watch this one on Youtube. Hands down the best for me.

Even thou i'm a very open Alto fan, who loves high school football, college football, and professional football, the State Championship game in 1995 between Alto and Celina was a great one. Dave Campbell picked it as one of the best. Football is on my mind from August to February folks, and if u don't believe it, ask my family what we watch in person or on tv.. Love the game!!

The game before the championship that year was the best one. Refugio had us beat in penetrations and first downs. Tied 14-14 for some reason decieded to step back and pass and it was picked for 6 and Alto won 21 14. Great game.

One that many forget is the 1979 game between Hull-Daisetta-28 and China Springs-18. Hull wasn't even supposed to be there. Kenneth Skidmore did a great job taking it to the defending state champions in College Station.

Another one is the 99 game between Commerce-17 and Sealy-10. RB for Sealy fumbles going in with less than a minute to go. TJ always told me if he scores there he goes for two. Would have been one for the ages.

Any state championship game where the team was able to repeat. They survive seasons with the target on their backs. You don't get an off week, everyone is looking to knock you off.

Thats a great pick.......... smart but not a good coach............. NOBODY WON!!! They shouldn't even played!

treetopjump why don't you go tell Celina's coach GA Moore (winningest coach in TX high school history) that he should not have coached or maybe tell Big Sandy's Lovie Smith (Chicago Bear's Head Coach) that he should not have played.

There are several state championship games that ended in ties (including the first in 1920) maybe these games should not have been played also.

As a coach I like my team to get up on an opponet and not have the game come down to the last minute. But, as a fan of the game, nothing is better than seeing two teams pour out their heart and soul in a game that is played for all 4 quarters and not knowing who will come out victorous until the very end. And yes, I wish the had OT back in the day but they didn't and these kids had to play within the rules we are given.

I would also like to put in the 06 LE vs. Robinson game. That was a heart pounder. The final score was 35-34 with a victory for LE coming in the closing seconds in the fourth qtr. Robinson tried the fake extra point for the win. Robinson's awesome running back took the ball on a naked kinda bootleg where no one was. All game it had taken two or three LE defenders to bring him down. Then out of no where the cornerback for LE makes an open field tackle to seal the championship.

I think 14 of LE's point were defensive points and 7 points were special teams. So super exciting.

Hands down Daingerfield's 1983 team!!!! note: only 8 points given up that hold year!

D-field 42

Sweeny 0

that's the team that played their ist team defence all season so they could have a record....wow

my vote for an ending was 1977 or around their with earle campbell taking the ball every down to score at end of game and win the state champinship for john tyler.

Plano West vs. John Tyler (I think) early 90's - where the Plano announcers were going #### about their comeback, only to have JT run back the kickoff to win. This may not have been a championship game, but it was at Cowboy Stadium.

Gotta go with this