Brock Lesnar

Roughriders04

Dana White was supposed to spend this week promoting his Ultimate Fighting Championship 106 card at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. It was to star his biggest box office draw, heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

Instead White flew Tuesday to Bismarck, N.D., showed up at the local hospital and found Lesnar, in heavy post-op sedation, while family and friends fretted about the future.

Lesnar had surgery to help solve a bacterial infection in his intestinal tract that helped cause the postponement of Saturday’s fight against Shane Carwin and left his long-term future in doubt.

“The family was worried big time, they were freaking out,” White, the UFC president, said Wednesday. “Brock was in big pain, he was hurting.

“We don’t know if he’ll ever fight again.”

White cautioned that things could still go either way. He could fight. He could not. No one knows at this point. Lesnar was resting Wednesday at his home in Alexandria, Minn. and was scheduled to visit the famed Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. early next week for a battery of tests.

“He had a hole in his intestine,” White said. “The (stuff) was leaking into his stomach. That’s what was causing him so much pain. That and he had abscesses.

“The doctor told him he hasn’t been right for a year. His immune system has been trying to fight this thing and that’s why he was susceptible to getting sick.”

That likely explains Lesnar’s original diagnosis of mono. He had been weakened to the point that he was unable to train for the Carwin fight for much of October. That prompted the original delay in the fight. Then last week, the intestinal problem flamed up and Lesnar was hospitalized.

“We’ll find out more next week,” White said. “We’re going to send him to the Mayo Clinic for a couple of days. I don’t know what to say. It’s looking better now than last week, but what that means, I don’t know.”

White said no decision would be made on setting up an interim heavyweight championship until he knew how long Lesnar might be out.

at first I thought he was just ducking carwin like tito tried to duck chuck for years, but now it sounds serious...

• 3 weeks later...
anything else hapnd since this post??? im not a huge brock lesnar fan but i think he got the potential to be one of the greats in mma...id sure hate to see his fight career called to an abrupt end due to sumthin like this...

Not that I have heard of I think that he has went home from hospital.....but thats about it....he almost died.....

Not that I have heard of I think that he has went home from hospital.....but thats about it....he almost died.....

I think Cain Velasquez and Shane Carwin are gonna fight for the Interim Heavyweigght title. Of course when or if Brock comes back they will have to unify them again. So basically the interim champ gets dibs on brock whoever that maybe when hes healthy.

• 1 month later...
Brock lesnar trainer said that he could see hime fighting this spring??? I dont know if thats true but I read it some where...

If you don't already know this check out mmajunkie.com or mmaweekly.com, both give you the scoop on injuries and future fights way before they are announced. Read the other day they are optimistic about a fight by the end of summer, but nothing is concrete. Timing would make since with Mir/Carwin fighting in March, that would put 4 to 5 months between the winner vs Brock to reunify title.

It really doesnt matter to me who fights brock when he comes back I just hope he gets his :censored: beat........

I hate Brock too, i wanted mir to beat him at 100 so bad. Mir has added bout 30 pounds of muscle since that fight and with Brock being rusty he might have a chance if he can get past Carwin. If not the division is starting to stack up with other contenders. Carwin,Vasques, Nog, Dos Santos somebody beat Brock! lol

This is what dave meltzer wrote on yahoo sports.....

"Several major decisions regarding upcoming UFC events are being finalized – including the return of heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

Lesnar is scheduled to appear on ESPN on Wednesday morning to discuss his situation with diverticulitis, which forced him to cancel a Nov. 21 title defense, hospitalized him for two weeks, and has kept him on the sidelines ever since.

Lesnar will likely announce his return, possibly with a time frame. In the past week, two of Lesnar’s coaches – Greg Nelson and Marty Morgan – have said Lesnar would be returning, hinting it would be soon but saying they couldn’t confirm when. Others close to the situation have noted it has not been an easy decision for Lesnar to make; without having major surgery, there is a risk of another painful attack.

Lesnar, who has not fought since the record-setting UFC 100 event last July 11, when he defeated Frank Mir, had asked UFC and Dana White to keep his medical condition under wraps after a meeting with his doctor earlier in the month. The issue was whether he would need, or it would be advisable, to get surgery on his intestine, which would keep him out of action for more than a year. Such a lengthy absence would force him to vacate the heavyweight championship.

UFC is already advertising a Frank Mir-Shane Carwin match on March 27 in Newark, N.J., as an interim championship bout, making the winner Lesnar’s most logical opponent should he not vacate the title. The general thinking is that a Lesnar vs. Mir match, which would be the third meeting between two men who each have a decisive win over the other, would be the most marketable bout UFC could put on this year."