Longview 28 Carrollton Newman Smith 25 (Final)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (11-1) vs Newman Smith Trojans (10-2)  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Newman Smith in a close one
    • Newman Smith in a blow out

Our fan base numbers sucked, doesn't show a lot to the kids on the field that put their blood and sweat into having the opportunity to move forward in the playoffs. Shame on those fans at Midway that don't have the spirit to cheer the kids on. I can't imagine if we had the numbers Longview brought to the game what our kids would do. The kids for Longview should leave it on the field every game and not take their fans for granted!

Great effort from Midway Zionsville!!!!! Yall left it all out on the field and there's nothing more you can ask from a team. Yalls running back played really big going aganist a tough run defense. He showed alot of heart!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know anything about them? Here's their schedule. They seemed extremely balanced.

From talking to the in-laws who live in Carrolton and attend alot of the Smith games, they are the type of team that comes out with a gameplan and make you adjust your defense to stop them. I had a chance to see them play only once vs HP and I think we will be able to move the ball against them and put some points up like the Scotts did. We will have to be very disciplined in our secondary because #6 Al Lasker is a beast. Mark my words. He will be a tough cover for our shorter cornerbacks and we will have to play alot of safety over the top coverage to contain him. The scary thing about them that I saw was that their QB and coach seem to be seeing the exact same thing when they come up to the line of scrimmage, and he gets them in the right play most of the time. That is something we will have to be very patient with and try to confuse them with different looks if we can. They will come up to the line of scrimmage and change the play 2 or 3 times a snap depending on what the D looks like.

Fortunately, we have one of the best defenses still playing this week and we are probably the fastest, most physical defense they will have seen all season long. We will have some opportunities to run the ball against them, and we should run it often. King has got to use the run to set up the play action pass, and we have to be able to hook up when we have it open.

I expect Smith to come out with lots of confidence and wouldn't be surprised if they try to quiet our crowd with a big play from the opening bell.(see Whitehouse) We just can't get outside our gameplan and abandon the run so early or we will be in trouble. I look for the Lobos to respond well to a quick Smith start and take this one 38-20.

Wow, could you believe the CROWD at Saturday's game? The Lobo side was PACKED at Kincaide Stadium. Thanks for the offer of Royce City's stadium -- it's a beautiful facility and something to be proud of -- but Texas Bob says it only seats 6,500. Longview alone would fill up the home AND visitor sides. (Don't think the UIL would allow that.)

Newman Smith sounds like a very talented team. We'll need to bring our A game for sure. I expect coach King and staff will have our Lobos ready to play. 11-1 -- what a great season ... again!

There was a good crowd, but not very excited (almost like Cowboy fans). I remember the good old days in the late 90's (like at the Astrodome) where the Longview crowd would make some noise. Too much success?

Yet the thousand or so Midway fans were louder than most Longview fans all game. :sleeping: :censored: :banghead:

Thankfully we're on the home side @ Cosicana. Maybe fans will actually get into the game this week, like they did the last time we were @ Tiger Stadium.

Lobos fans have never really been loud. If you watch the playback of the games and it shows the fans they all look like zombies! '97 was the last time I remember fans being very loud and boisterous! And that was was cause of the "Lobo Bounce" thang going on! It doesn't suprise me that opponents lesser fanbase "out-noised" Lobos!

Lobos fans have never really been loud. If you watch the playback of the games and it shows the fans they all look like zombies! '97 was the last time I remember fans being very loud and boisterous! And that was was cause of the "Lobo Bounce" thang going on! It doesn't suprise me that opponents lesser fanbase "out-noised" Lobos!

Agreed. I am always very disappointed with the loudness of our fans. It seems like every game we will outnumber the opposing fans 4 to 1 yet they as loud if not louder than us

Agreed. I am always very disappointed with the loudness of our fans. It seems like every game we will outnumber the opposing fans 4 to 1 yet they as loud if not louder than us

Why don't they bring it back the Lobo Bounce I enjoyed it- never understood why they stopped.The band needs to come up with something that everybody can enjoy,a nice beat with the instruments would help.

97 PLAYOFF RUN AND CROUD WAS AWESOME, WE NEED THAT AGAIN.

I agree as well, but what can be done to get crowd going?

Maybe cheerleaders could get involved; get an electronic megaphone and instruct crowd to get up and yell.

Or maybe someone could print out flyers to hand out at the gate politely pointing out the importance to the team to have help in the stands.. There are a lot of boisterous Lobo fans, but more people need to follow their lead. Maybe an article in LNJ. I don't know, anyone have any ideas?

Longview fans have gotten apathetic because playoff runs have become a ho-hum every year kind of thing. They aren't loud because they expect to just come into the stadium, watch a blowout, and go home. Its the same thing with a lot of teams that are used to winning a lot of games. Fans tend to be less into the game.

As for this game, I think Longview is going to get blown out by 20+ points. This team is talented but a few of the talented players aren't playing up to their potential. Running backs are dancing around trying to juke to make themselves look pretty and not running behind their blocks. Quarterbacks are throwing the ball 5 yards over the receiver's heads. Longview used to be a team that would line up in the I and pound the football the entire game, but in my opinion the new spread stuff they have incorporated has gotten them out of that rhythm. Playcalling was a big issue last week and Longview got out of their game.

For Longview to have a chance in this one, they need to line up and play Lobo football. Mash the opposing defense out of the I-formation and wear them out. Get a few licks on the passer and wear him down.

Longview fans have gotten apathetic because playoff runs have become a ho-hum every year kind of thing. They aren't loud because they expect to just come into the stadium, watch a blowout, and go home. Its the same thing with a lot of teams that are used to winning a lot of games. Fans tend to be less into the game.

As for this game, I think Longview is going to get blown out by 20+ points. This team is talented but a few of the talented players aren't playing up to their potential. Running backs are dancing around trying to juke to make themselves look pretty and not running behind their blocks. Quarterbacks are throwing the ball 5 yards over the receiver's heads. Longview used to be a team that would line up in the I and pound the football the entire game, but in my opinion the new spread stuff they have incorporated has gotten them out of that rhythm. Playcalling was a big issue last week and Longview got out of their game.

For Longview to have a chance in this one, they need to line up and play Lobo football. Mash the opposing defense out of the I-formation and wear them out. Get a few licks on the passer and wear him down.

you are very wrong i am sorry to say!longview will win this game.experience in these types of games does make a difference. longview will be buisiness like and win this one easily.they will rise to occasion and play very well !...mark it down!...longview will roll !!

you are very wrong i am sorry to say!longview will win this game.experience in these types of games does make a difference. longview will be buisiness like and win this one easily.they will rise to occasion and play very well !...mark it down!...longview will roll !!

Been to most Lobo games for the last 12 years, maybe missed 3. Hard to argue with any of the points above. The fan base has become apathetic, Mcray is not hitting the hole as usual, passes are overthrown, etc. Don't know if I would critize the play calling as much as the execution.

All that said, the defense is playing hard and up to their potential. They contained the run pretty well Saturday with the exception of a couple of plays on some nice fakes (nobody in the stadium knew who had the ball).

Should be a good game, but I don't see our Lobos advancing, based on the last couple of weeks. 21-14 Smith.

Been to most Lobo games for the last 12 years, maybe missed 3. Hard to argue with any of the points above. The fan base has become apathetic, Mcray is not hitting the hole as usual, passes are overthrown, etc. Don't know if I would critize the play calling as much as the execution.

All that said, the defense is playing hard and up to their potential. They contained the run pretty well Saturday with the exception of a couple of plays on some nice fakes (nobody in the stadium knew who had the ball).

Should be a good game, but I don't see our Lobos advancing, based on the last couple of weeks. 21-14 Smith.

who has smith beaten that has been very good this year?....ummmm ...carter?...they were not very good this year.so, who have they beaten that is as good as say, allen,tyler lee who looks pretty good right now and marshall?

who has smith beaten that has been very good this year?....ummmm ...carter?...they were not very good this year.so, who have they beaten that is as good as say, allen,tyler lee who looks pretty good right now and marshall?

Youre right....they all look better than we do right now. Even Allen that got beat by SLC.

I still say Longview has some players that are thinking about next year in college, instead of right now in high school.

Big kudos to the defense though. STAY STRONG!!!

Youre right....they all look better than we do right now. Even Allen that got beat by SLC.

I still say Longview has some players that are thinking about next year in college, instead of right now in high school.

I'm calling it right now that ya'll win by 4 touchdowns. Mark it down!

The statement about players "holding back" or whatever and looking out for future interests is one of the most rediculous I've heard in quite a while. I'm sure you're a really nice guy, and a big supporter of Lobo football, but you are way off base on this. Actually, the two players who have not looked as good as they have in the past both have everything to gain by performing well in these playoffs and raising their stock. Nobody, and i repeat NOBODY has a sure thing full ride opportunity at this point. Whether it is performance, current team depth at the position, or academic eligibility issues...our Lobo superstars are far from a "lock" to attend the university of their choice.

Plain and simple, the offense hasn't been clicking as early and often as we are used to, and we will need to get that figured out if we want to advance. Has nothing to do with the runningback wanting to be too cute or someone not wanting to risk a college future. Poor playcalling and poor execution are the main two factors. I DO expect to see a much better effort and performance this weekend. And I WILL BE LOUD!!!!

i have first hand info from a player that the Lobo fans are plenty loud enough. he said that the crowd noise and just the amount of fans in the seats energizes the team.

Yep. We sure saw that last Saturday. They were completely energized.

If that is considered loud, I would love to know what they would think if our crowd actually made noise.

Can our Defense control this game? This is the question everyone should be asking themselves. Newman had 248 yards passing against Carter on 11 receptions. There big play reciever Al Lasker had 7 grabs for 171 yards against shorter cornerbacks from Carter. So what's there game plan hmmmm. Obviously its to get it to thier big play guy, sound familiar? Now we all know that was Whitehouse's plan from the start they had a 1000 yard reciever and so does this school. We didn't shut him down but we limited his performance from the previous week against Henderson. So, who's to say we cant repeat the same performance against this highly touted reciever? I believe limiting their recievers impact on the game starts with the QB. He's stated who's his favorite target so the only passes that should come to Lasker are those of desperation. We should hit the QB hard and often with heavy pressure. It's worked all year and so far in the playoffs. Bubba, Weaver, Diop Johnson and the rest of the front seven are going to have to make this happen. This game is going to be won in the trenches guys. Our corners an safeties have seen these type of recievers before (Lufkin). We just need to play big and hit'em in the mouth, early and often. I'm also looking for Addie to have a big game at corner he got a bad interference call on him last week. He's really impressed me this year. As for our offense Carter couldn't get thier running game going to the second half by that time they were down 35-14. We need to stay with what we know. Run heavy in this game, control the clock and the momentum will stay our way. This game shouldn't scare anyone that bleeds green. Just my thought's.... Go Lobos

Can our Defense control this game? This is the question everyone should be asking themselves. Newman had 248 yards passing against Carter on 11 receptions. There big play reciever Al Lasker had 7 grabs for 171 yards against shorter cornerbacks from Carter. So what's there game plan hmmmm. Obviously its to get it to thier big play guy, sound familiar? Now we all know that was Whitehouse's plan from the start they had a 1000 yard reciever and so does this school. We didn't shut him down but we limited his performance from the previous week against Henderson. So, who's to say we cant repeat the same performance against this highly touted reciever? I believe limiting their recievers impact on the game starts with the QB. He's stated who's his favorite target so the only passes that should come to Lasker are those of desperation. We should hit the QB hard and often with heavy pressure. It's worked all year and so far in the playoffs. Bubba, Weaver, Diop Johnson and the rest of the front seven are going to have to make this happen. This game is going to be won in the trenches guys. Our corners an safeties have seen these type of recievers before (Lufkin). We just need to play big and hit'em in the mouth, early and often. I'm also looking for Addie to have a big game at corner he got a bad interference call on him last week. He's really impressed me this year. As for our offense Carter couldn't get thier running game going to the second half by that time they were down 35-14. We need to stay with what we know. Run heavy in this game, control the clock and the momentum will stay our way. This game shouldn't scare anyone that bleeds green. Just my thought's.... Go Lobos

i feel good about this game for the lobos! just feel that longview will come out and play a great game saturday. i believe they are due for a game where all finally goes right for them. like the sulphur springs game. longview's experience in these type of games will be important. i just think longview will hit 2 or 3 of those longer passes this week. also, they know they are playing longview,which might bring a few more nerves to the table.we will see, but i think longview will smash them right in the mouth this game.run,run,run then run some more! go lobos! we are all behind you! they think they are going to do what they did to carter to you! mark it down....lobos win big in this game!

Does Longview still have the same "undersized" cornerback they had last season on defense? Pass defense seemed to be their Achilles heal last season in the finals.

Yup. lil ol 5'5 Addison Mcgee. Has 6 INT's this year and has really stepped up.

Does Longview still have the same "undersized" cornerback they had last season on defense? Pass defense seemed to be their Achilles heal last season in the finals.

Yeah Addison McGee's short but he's seasoned and play's tough. I wish we had two just like him. He has I believe 6 int's this season and numerous pass breakups. It's high school football and undersized players at some positions are the norm. We have taller players but if you cant cover it means nothing. There's reasons why our coaches have him in that position. And i believe this year especially has shown us why he's in the game. It's not college where you can pick and choose. People have said for years that Our O-line and D-lines are small but look at the impact they have when we line up across from 300 pounders 6'2 and up all last year Lufkin, Carter, Midway. And Guyer had two highly recruted linemen over 6'4 and they got worn down by our speed. So in the end speed can make all the difference.

I'm sure all eyes will be on #6 Al Laster, but BELIEVE me....they have other WR's who can get in the end zone as well. I don't anticipate us having too much a problem if we play our style of defense and welcome the challenge. When you have a cornerback who is 5'5 EVERY team thinks they will be able to pick on him. At the end of the day, Addy has made most of them pay when that is the case. Addy is not and has not been a weak link on this defense, but in the past our coaching staff has outsmarted themselves and made too many uncalled for changes in the secondary line-up. Aaron Johnson should not be on the field Saturday unless we have the ball. We have the personel to match up with Smith, just don't try to get too cute.

The one thing I'm telling everyone to keep an eye on is the Trojans QB who will remind you alot of the Lufkin QB. Quick, strong-armed, LEFTY who can turn a 3rd and 1 into a 50 yard touchdown run. If you remember, the Lufkin QB single handedly beat us this year, as we could not get our arms wrapped around him. We always bring pressure, but being overly aggressive against a QB like this one can usually leave you open to the big scramble and/or designed draw. Remember the Lufkin game....this will be one of the keys. Still stand by my original prediction>>>Trojans come out firing and get early momentum, Lobos take the game over and close out 38-24.