Denison 35 Marshall 26 (Final)

Mavchamp

This Denison squad is a very tough bunch. I would say all the massey ratings etc are right on. These 2 teams could play 10 times and probably split the series 5-5.

A few bad breaks for Marshall, (1) a misjudged coverage by our safety and (2) 2 extremely horrible pass interference calls against the Mavs. (3) a running clock at the end of the first half when our RB clearly went out of bounds (What the heck is up with that???)

Our fans finally showed up to a game. However, most of them left with us down by 9 and 2 timeouts left and 6 minutes left. Dear fans, we got the ball back... the game was not over, until the interception.

Good season Mavs. Good luck Denison. Good luck Sulphur Spings.

Yah but the better team won today, just shut up you sound like a baby making all those excuses, the Marshall players held their heads high, don't embarass them with dumb remarks.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sideliner
Yah but the better team won today, just shut up you sound like a baby making all those excuses, the Marshall players held their heads high, don't embarass them with dumb remarks.

:sleeping: :sleeping:

We got beat. Not by a better team. We got beat by the better team at that time on that day. That's how football works.

If you want my real opinion, here it is:

1) Denison is much slower than advertised.

2) Much bigger than advertised

3) They play with alot of heart

4) They are cocky

5) Their QB is under rated.

6) They are still pretty slow.

7) They did not make mistakes and that is what won them the game.

Well speed isn't all that matters apparently, i told you the BEAST was going to run over you and thats exactly what happened.

Denison won because they were better end of story.

and you sir are the king of stupid remarks. Keep it up.

We got beat. Not by a better team. We got beat by the better team at that time on that day. That's how football works.

4) They are cocky

Taylor (Denison QB) looked real good on the clips I saw prior to our game. I worried about him more than anyone else to be honest.

4) They are cocky

Numbers 3-5, I absolutely agree with. We routinely play teams that are bigger than us and faster than us. We are a small 4A school - the smallest in our district. Yet we win our district more often than not and it comes down to two things - heart and coaching. This particular team is cocky and I think that cockiness is part of what allowed them to come back in this game.

Number 1 - I don't know how we were advertised, so I can't comment.

Number 2 - see number 1, but if we are bigger than advertised, we must've been advertised as midgets

Number 7 - we made a crucial mistake when our QB fumbled as we were driving with the game tied at 7. Marshall seized the momentum and went into the half up by 12.

Where is this crew from? They can not allow themselves to affect a playoff game like this. Man what a let down.

I don't think the officials had much to do with Marshall's offense that was being compared by some posters as just as good as Sulphur Springs a year ago being stonewalled to just 56 TOTAL YARDS after halftime. Complete domination.

4) They are cocky

Guess that all depends on what team you're cheering for. Several Richardson Pearce people two weeks ago were saying how surprised they were at how small Denison was but were quicker than they had expected. So it really depends on what advertising you are buying. :thumbsup:

Nobody has given the QB (Jordan Taylor) much credit all season rather focusing on how the RB (D.J. Jones) was their main weapon. I'd say 3,200 total yards and 41 touchdowns (passing/rushing) should pretty well speak for themselves but likely won't.

And no matter how slow they are they were still quick enough to overcome plenty of mistakes in the first half (including a critical fumble at the Marshall 20) and beat the faster Mavericks for a handful of big plays.

Marshall had an outstanding team though. Denison's halftime adjustments proved to be better though.

My first post on this site....

Marshall was a much better team than I gave them credit for prior to the game. Jammal is awesome. The OL is awesome. The receiving corp was the weakness. The defense was very strong. The defense was very fast.

I was proud of that Marshall team. Your crowd was outnumbered 3 to 1. Your band is small. Your uniforms are atrocious. But you were the best team we have faced this year, hands down. I am officially a Maverick fan from now on and will keep an eye on your scores, each week.

I will agree that the officiating was less than great. I watched the game again last night specifically to see the end of the first half. I have no idea why they ran the clock. I will say this...Whoever was running the scoreboard at that stadium should not be working playoff games. There were 6 times that I counted that the down-distance, or both were wrong. I gurantee you the scoreboard operator ran the clock, and the oficials didn't realize it and then weren't sure enough to go back and add time.

There were several calls that went for Denison and a few that didn't.

The game came down to will and determination. Denison wasn't going to lose yesterday. Wasn't gonna happen. I am so glad that we got that test in the 3rd round. That will propel us to the state title game.

Again, congrats Marshall for a great game and a great season.

My first post on this site....

Marshall was a much better team than I gave them credit for prior to the game. Jammal is awesome. The OL is awesome. The receiving corp was the weakness. The defense was very strong. The defense was very fast.

I was proud of that Marshall team. Your crowd was outnumbered 3 to 1. Your band is small. Your uniforms are atrocious. But you were the best team we have faced this year, hands down. I am officially a Maverick fan from now on and will keep an eye on your scores, each week.

I will agree that the officiating was less than great. I watched the game again last night specifically to see the end of the first half. I have no idea why they ran the clock. I will say this...Whoever was running the scoreboard at that stadium should not be working playoff games. There were 6 times that I counted that the down-distance, or both were wrong. I gurantee you the scoreboard operator ran the clock, and the oficials didn't realize it and then weren't sure enough to go back and add time.

There were several calls that went for Denison and a few that didn't.

The game came down to will and determination. Denison wasn't going to lose yesterday. Wasn't gonna happen. I am so glad that we got that test in the 3rd round. That will propel us to the state title game.

Again, congrats Marshall for a great game and a great season.

:thumbsup: Good post! Good luck with SS!

First off, congrats to the Mavs on a good season.

Secondly, I've never been more proud of a Jacket team than I am right now. They got behind in the first half and all of the wind was out of the crowd as they went into halftime. I think the schedule they've played hurt in the first half because I think they were taken aback by Marshall's talent. But they came out in the second half, they realized they were a good team too and they scratched, they clawed, they made big plays on offense and got big stops on defense (which, after seeing Marshall's backs rip off chunks of yards seemingly at will in the first half, was the most surprising thing). Hopefully they can keep it going next week and beyond.

Great post.....the Denison coaching staff did a great job, basically sticking with their game plan, with a few adjustments at halftime. Marshall failed miserably to make adjustments on the fly in the second half, particularly defensively, but also some questionable offensive play calling. Bottom line, Denison is a much better team than they were earlier in the year. Denison also has some really good talent....I still think Marshall has more individual talent overall, but great talent doesn't always make a better team.

Congrats to Denison.....regardless of all the other stuff, the game was won on the field. :happy65:

Bottom line, Denison is a much better team than they were earlier in the year.

I believe that's what many Denison people were saying a week ago, but I guess had to be seen to believed by some others. After missing a few weeks in the preseason and the first game of the year with an injury, it took QB Jordan Taylor a few weeks to find his rhythm. Since Week 5, the Denison offense has been clicking on all cylinders each week. His numbers in that span are pretty amazing, which has also helped open running lanes for D.J. Jones to reach the doorstep of a 2,000-yard rushing campaign.

The receiving corp was the weakness ----I agree. Those were some perfect passes that were dropped. Cant thread a needle any better than that.

The defense was very strong ---- except for the pass defense, which has been an issue all season long going back to the Jacksonville game. It DID get better, but it never was great. Jacksonville, Hallsville, Sulphur Spings, and Texas High ALL had success throwing against us. I think we all knew it was going to eventually come to bite us in the playoffs and it did.

The defense was very fast ---- This is a Marshall trademark. We never really have sixe on defense, so we go with speed. It works for us more often than not.

Your crowd was outnumbered 3 to 1 ---- I think that's an exaggeration, but Denison DID outnumber us. Our drive was TWICE as far as Denison's was too. But you guys had a great crowd no doubt!! I think the sheer size of the homeside made our crowd look smaller than it really was compared to Denison's. I dont think we would have packed the visitor's side out like Denison did, but I think Denison's crowd would have looked a little smaller had they been on that monsterous home side.

Your band is small ---- That happens when they lose their entire staff twice in three years. 4 years ago the band had about 180+ in it. They will be back. But thanks for the concern!

Your uniforms are atrocious ---- Really? I thought they looked great. Am I missing something?

But you were the best team we have faced this year, hands down- Thanks! Longview is THE best team we played this season (#2 in Texas and still playing) then I'd go with you guys. I think Neville (#2 in Louisiana and still playing) had a better defense, but your offense was definately more diverse than Neville's.

I am officially a Maverick fan from now on and will keep an eye on your scores, each week ---- Thank you very much! We are proud of our guys. NO ONE gave Marshall much of a chance to even make the playoffs this year. We proved them wrong. I have to admit I'm pulling for SS this coming week. But if Denison beats SS, then I'll be pulling for you guys the rest of the way. I think region II has the best football in it. I saw Denison a few times in the 90's when they were making those title runs. So I was no stranger to them. Best of luck!

I will agree that the officiating was less than great ---- It was horrible...... for both teams at times. I've NEVER seen one official overturn another official's call more times than I did yesterday. It was more atricious than our uniforms :sleeping:

I watched the game again last night specifically to see the end of the first half. I have no idea why they ran the clock --- I dont think it cost us a TD, but it may have cost us a FG attempt. In a close game like that, 3 points is big. The mistake was big, but not correcting it was mind boggling.

I will say this...Whoever was running the scoreboard at that stadium should not be working playoff games --- Amen.

There were 6 times that I counted that the down-distance, or both were wrong --- I thought it was more than that. They were making jokes about it in the stands saying his mother lives in Denison. LOL.

I gurantee you the scoreboard operator ran the clock, and the oficials didn't realize it and then weren't sure enough to go back and add time --- I can't remember now, but I think it ended up costing us about 28 seconds or more.

There were several calls that went for Denison and a few that didn't --- Absolutely. The bad calls weren't just against Marshall. Denison got shafted a time or two as well. They apparently had no idea what HOLDING was, they missed at least 2 offsides on defense (for each team) and REALLY have no clue what pass interference is. Sorry.... when a ball is 20 feet over a WR's head..... thats not pass interference.

The game came down to will and determination --- Lots of heart by Denison....no doubt. I think a questionable call by the Mav coaches to fo for it at midfield on 4th down midway through the 4th was HUGE. We should have punted (with the wind) and hopefully pinned the Jackets inside the 10 and make them drive 80 or 90 yards instead of 50. Ultimately I dont think it COST us the game, but I think it turned the tide for good.

Denison wasn't going to lose yesterday. Wasn't going to happen --- Not sure I agree with that. They were within 2 plays of maybe losing. The best team won IMOH. But both were more than capable of winning.

I am so glad that we got that test in the 3rd round. That will propel us to the state title game --- Don't uderestimate SS next week...or Aledo/Everman in the semis . Denison has a REALLY TOUGH road ahead of them to get to the title game. But I do think SS will have trouble with Denison's power running game. At least they did against Longview, Marshall, and Texas High.

Again, congrats Marshall for a great game and a great season --- Thanks again. And good luck to you guys. I really think a season like what we had this year can be the building blocks to big things in the future. We were picked as either 4th or 5th by MOST in our district. We proved them wrong. This was suppose to be a rebuilding year with the loss of Darius Jones, K D Johnson, and most of the defense. The JV ended tied as co-champions with Longview. The Mav program is alive and well in spite of our rumored demise.

On a side note..... just wanted to say THANK YOU to the guys that suited up in the red and white each week for the last 3.5 months. You guys made the community proud. Best of luck in your futures!

A big thanks to the coaching staff.....whom I was tough on at times this season. I'll admit that, and I still stand by some of the things I said. But at the end of the season....you guys deserve a big THANK YOU and a pat on the back for an outstanding season. You guys work hard and it IS appreciated, Even when some of us somtimes disagree, we appreciate the work you do.

Playoffs are done for Marshall.....but not for football fans. I'm already making plans to go to the Longview game next week. May sneak up and see SS too.

The next thing I'm most excited to see is REALIGNMENT. That should be interesting. But till then.....

GO LOBOS

GO WILDCATS

The receiving corp was the weakness ----I agree. Those were some perfect passes that were dropped. Cant thread a needle any better than that.

The defense was very strong ---- except for the pass defense, which has been an issue all season long going back to the Jacksonville game. It DID get better, but it never was great. Jacksonville, Hallsville, Sulphur Spings, and Texas High ALL had success throwing against us. I think we all knew it was going to eventually come to bite us in the playoffs and it did.

The defense was very fast ---- This is a Marshall trademark. We never really have sixe on defense, so we go with speed. It works for us more often than not.

Your crowd was outnumbered 3 to 1 ---- I think that's an exaggeration, but Denison DID outnumber us. Our drive was TWICE as far as Denison's was too. But you guys had a great crowd no doubt!! I think the sheer size of the homeside made our crowd look smaller than it really was compared to Denison's. I dont think we would have packed the visitor's side out like Denison did, but I think Denison's crowd would have looked a little smaller had they been on that monsterous home side.

Your band is small ---- That happens when they lose their entire staff twice in three years. 4 years ago the band had about 180+ in it. They will be back. But thanks for the concern!

Your uniforms are atrocious ---- Really? I thought they looked great. Am I missing something?

But you were the best team we have faced this year, hands down- Thanks! Longview is THE best team we played this season (#2 in Texas and still playing) then I'd go with you guys. I think Neville (#2 in Louisiana and still playing) had a better defense, but your offense was definately more diverse than Neville's.

I am officially a Maverick fan from now on and will keep an eye on your scores, each week ---- Thank you very much! We are proud of our guys. NO ONE gave Marshall much of a chance to even make the playoffs this year. We proved them wrong. I have to admit I'm pulling for SS this coming week. But if Denison beats SS, then I'll be pulling for you guys the rest of the way. I think region II has the best football in it. I saw Denison a few times in the 90's when they were making those title runs. So I was no stranger to them. Best of luck!

I will agree that the officiating was less than great ---- It was horrible...... for both teams at times. I've NEVER seen one official overturn another official's call more times than I did yesterday. It was more atricious than our uniforms :sleeping:

I watched the game again last night specifically to see the end of the first half. I have no idea why they ran the clock --- I dont think it cost us a TD, but it may have cost us a FG attempt. In a close game like that, 3 points is big. The mistake was big, but not correcting it was mind boggling.

I will say this...Whoever was running the scoreboard at that stadium should not be working playoff games --- Amen.

There were 6 times that I counted that the down-distance, or both were wrong --- I thought it was more than that. They were making jokes about it in the stands saying his mother lives in Denison. LOL.

I gurantee you the scoreboard operator ran the clock, and the oficials didn't realize it and then weren't sure enough to go back and add time --- I can't remember now, but I think it ended up costing us about 28 seconds or more.

There were several calls that went for Denison and a few that didn't --- Absolutely. The bad calls weren't just against Marshall. Denison got shafted a time or two as well. They apparently had no idea what HOLDING was, they missed at least 2 offsides on defense (for each team) and REALLY have no clue what pass interference is. Sorry.... when a ball is 20 feet over a WR's head..... thats not pass interference.

The game came down to will and determination --- Lots of heart by Denison....no doubt. I think a questionable call by the Mav coaches to fo for it at midfield on 4th down midway through the 4th was HUGE. We should have punted (with the wind) and hopefully pinned the Jackets inside the 10 and make them drive 80 or 90 yards instead of 50. Ultimately I dont think it COST us the game, but I think it turned the tide for good.

Denison wasn't going to lose yesterday. Wasn't going to happen --- Not sure I agree with that. They were within 2 plays of maybe losing. The best team won IMOH. But both were more than capable of winning.

I am so glad that we got that test in the 3rd round. That will propel us to the state title game --- Don't uderestimate SS next week...or Aledo/Everman in the semis . Denison has a REALLY TOUGH road ahead of them to get to the title game. But I do think SS will have trouble with Denison's power running game. At least they did against Longview, Marshall, and Texas High.

Again, congrats Marshall for a great game and a great season --- Thanks again. And good luck to you guys. I really think a season like what we had this year can be the building blocks to big things in the future. We were picked as either 4th or 5th by MOST in our district. We proved them wrong. This was suppose to be a rebuilding year with the loss of Darius Jones, K D Johnson, and most of the defense. The JV ended tied as co-champions with Longview. The Mav program is alive and well in spite of our rumored demise.

On a side note..... just wanted to say THANK YOU to the guys that suited up in the red and white each week for the last 3.5 months. You guys made the community proud. Best of luck in your futures!

A big thanks to the coaching staff.....whom I was tough on at times this season. I'll admit that, and I still stand by some of the things I said. But at the end of the season....you guys deserve a big THANK YOU and a pat on the back for an outstanding season. You guys work hard and it IS appreciated, Even when some of us somtimes disagree, we appreciate the work you do.

Playoffs are done for Marshall.....but not for football fans. I'm already making plans to go to the Longview game next week. May sneak up and see SS too.

The next thing I'm most excited to see is REALIGNMENT. That should be interesting. But till then.....

GO LOBOS

GO WILDCATS

Best post of the year... I have been harping on it all year and this game is no different. Those kids work their butts off for almost 4 months during the season and to see a crowd/community leave on them like the Marshall fans did was an absolute disgrace. I got sick to my stomach watching that. It pains me to see the lack of support these kids get when they play. Marshall has a strong football tradition when its winning.... when things go bad its all over for them.

Denison you played a heck of a football game, what set you apart from the other teams we played was the discipline you showed staying where you were suppose to be, that is great coaching and good listening on your part from your kids. Great game and good luck the rest of the way... SS will be gunning for you they have alot to prove this year because so many people have counted them out. It will be a fight!