Denison 49 Sulphur Springs 35 (FINAL)

wildwoolycat

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denison is obviously a better team than they were last year, this is going to be a close game.

SS has turned it up several notches and is not that far off from last years offense, the defense is playing well above last year's defense.

SS has to cut back on the mistakes, can't make the few mistakes like we did against Liberty or the game will be handed to Denison. I believe SS matches up better against Denison also. SS coaching staff will have a game plan put together.

Not excited about the venue of this game.

Denison is obviously a better team than they were last year, this is going to be a close game.

SS has turned it up several notches and is not that far off from last years offense, the defense is playing well above last year's defense.

SS has to cut back on the mistakes, can't make the few mistakes like we did against Liberty or the game will be handed to Denison. I believe SS matches up better against Denison also. SS coaching staff will have a game plan put together.

Not excited about the venue of this game.

Yea, I was hoping for a visit to Arlington myself but I guess geograpically this makes more sense Although if not Arlington why not Prim West again? Guess thats why they get paid the big bucks.

Denison had some big injuries in the Marshall game. Two starting LBs and DJ Jones (RB) were on the sidelines as the game ended. Aaron Morrison (DE) was also hobbled as the game ended. If Jones and Morrison can't go Saturday, those are HUGE losses for the Jackets. If they can, I like Denison to win by 10.

Denison had some big injuries in the Marshall game. Two starting LBs and DJ Jones (RB) were on the sidelines as the game ended. Aaron Morrison (DE) was also hobbled as the game ended. If Jones and Morrison can't go Saturday, those are HUGE losses for the Jackets. If they can, I like Denison to win by 10.

I'm sure they are ok, Denison had it wrapped up once they went up by 9 with 3 min left. Coaches probably set them out on precautionary measures.

If they are not, then that is big...what are the backup's like?

I'm sure they are ok, Denison had it wrapped up once they went up by 9 with 3 min left. Coaches probably set them out on precautionary measures.

If they are not, then that is big...what are the backup's like?

I know the LBs aren't ok. They went out with a lot of time left. One was on crutches with an ankle wrapped, the other had his pads off with ice on his shoulder. Their backups are decent as the defense actually turned it up a notch in the second half.

With DJ Jones, he came off the field with his arm dragging when Denison was on Marshall's 10 yard line and only up by two. Trust me, that wasn't a coaching decision. He had his pads off, but they weren't icing it. Hopefully it was just a stinger. His backup is average at best. They did bring a soph up from JV that certainly looks like he could be a player, but I know nothing about him. In short, if DJ doesn't go, a major weapon is lost.

With Morrison, the dropoff is huge. He's a double-digit sack guy. But, considering he couldn't walk the week before the Sherman game and played a good game, I think he'll be there.

The thing with Denison is that the starting 22 can play with just about any 4A team in the state, but depth is an issue.

Denison has alot of 2-way players. Their best offensive lineman plays defensive line. Their best reciever plays corner. And even there QB spot plays a little in the secondary. This will hurt them at this point in the playoffs, but they just defeated a very good, fast Marshall squad that has lots of depth (which surprised me by the way).

Despite all this, I still think Denison wins. I know you can't put much stock in common opponents, but Marshall spanked Sulphur late in the regular season and Denison just beat Marshall. Hard for me to take the defending state champs in this one!

Best of luck to both teams!

Yea, I was hoping for a visit to Arlington myself but I guess geograpically this makes more sense Although if not Arlington why not Prim West again? Guess thats why they get paid the big bucks.

I think the Big 12 Championship game is at Jerry World this Saturday and I doubt Denison agreed to play Friday.

Denison has alot of 2-way players. Their best offensive lineman plays defensive line. Their best reciever plays corner. And even there QB spot plays a little in the secondary. This will hurt them at this point in the playoffs, but they just defeated a very good, fast Marshall squad that has lots of depth (which surprised me by the way).

Despite all this, I still think Denison wins. I know you can't put much stock in common opponents, but Marshall spanked Sulphur late in the regular season and Denison just beat Marshall. Hard for me to take the defending state champs in this one!

Best of luck to both teams!

I wouldn't say we have a lot, but I guess that's relative...

Cody Reeves - WR/DB

Jaqwaylin Arps - OT/DT

Jimmay Mundine - TE/DE

Jordan Taylor - QB/S (but he only plays S maybe 3 or 4 plays a game on obvious passing downs)

As I've said in another thread, we are a small 4A school. We just don't have the same pool to pull from as a Longview, Texarkana or even Marshall.

As I've said in another thread, we are a small 4A school. We just don't have the same pool to pull from as a Longview, Texarkana or even Marshall.

That is one of the things that makes this match up even better, both teams are the small schools out of there district.

We have a few that play both ways, but the only one that gets quality time on both sides of the ball is Jackson.

This is a BIG test for ss this year. Denison is a great team and the victory over Marshall shows it. However, ss seems to be gaining steam and finding themselves at the right time. If this game would have been back during regular season i would say denison hands down, but now i think ss has a legitimate chance. If the offense can hold on to the ball and get the deep pass going, and the defense holds the big play i say ss can take this one. If denison can work in the big plays and get momentum on their side i think we will b in for a long night. Rootin for my wildcats

Good luck to the poor little guys from Denison!

Make no mistake. Denison is a good football team, they're on a roll, and don't think for a second they have forgotten who gave them their only loss a year ago. There will be nothing poor or little about this team or this game. It will be a dogfight and SS will have to match the intensity that a school with a state title and revenge on their minds will bring. It has all the makings of a classic.