Denison 49 Sulphur Springs 35 (FINAL)

wildwoolycat

Does Denison have their stats posted on the internet?

Stats aren't on the internet, but here you go. Starters sat much of the second half of several district routs or they would likely be bigger numbers. Denison has set new school rushing, passing, receiving and total offense records both team and individual this season.

Denison has 6,495 total yards; 4068 yards rushing, 2427 yards passing

Rushing Leaders

D.J. Jones 1,985 rushing, 25 TDs

Jordan Taylor 1,090 rushing, 21 TDs

Passing Leaders

Jordan Taylor 127 of 192 passing, 2,124 yards (12 games), 24 TDs, 5 ints

Receiving Leaders

Jimmay Mundine 46 for 952, 15 TDs

Kyle Galyon 36 for 578, 3 TDs

Cody Reeves 30 for 456, 6 TDs

Defense

1841 Rushing

1679 Passing

270 yards per game, 20.9 pts. per game

48 sacks, 18 interceptions

Aaron Morrison 14 sacks

Jacqualin Arps 9.5 sacks

Jimmay Mundine 7 sacks

Cody Reeves 5 interceptions

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy they call the beast was said to run all over us last year, and i think we all remember that game.

And this is one of the major differences between this year's Denison team and last year's. Last year, the offense consisted of DJ Jones to the right, DJ Jones to the left, DJ Jones up the middle. If SS keys on DJ this year, they will lose flat out. Jordan Taylor was not half the QB last year that he is this year, and that is huge. Another difference: 80% of the starters last year were juniors. This year, they are seniors. They are bigger, they are stronger, and they are faster. As I said in the Marshall thread, I hope your players think they are playing the same team that lost to SS last year.

Last year, we were outclassed by SS. We lost by 3 TDs and the game really wasn't that close. I think SS can win (you never know what can happen on game day), but I guarantee it won't be like last year.

That would be this week.

SS has had a problem with grades throughout the whole school this year, not just the football team. I believe we lost 30 band members due to grades. That is unacceptable.

Well, I at least give SS props for following the rules. Too many schools would fudge the numbers.

This was in the Dallas Morning News two weeks ago.....

To rent Texas Stadium, the Cowboys charged $5,500 per team, Cowboys spokesman Brett Daniels said. The base rent was $500 plus an additional $5,000 to cover game operation expenses.

Arlington ISD athletic director I.C. Little said the Cowboys increased the game operation fees at the new stadium but kept them reasonable. Little said the more games played in one day at Cowboys Stadium, the lower the cost per team.

Cowboys Stadium is hosting eight Class 5A games today through Saturday.

District 3-5A teams will play 4-5A teams in doubleheaders today and Friday. On Saturday, District 5-5A and 6-5A teams play each other in four games.

Little said the 3-5A and 4-5A teams will pay about $7,500 each for their doubleheaders.

"It's a good deal for both sides," he said. "Jerry [Jones] is not making any money off this. They've been very good to high school coaches."

For Saturday's quadruple-header, the eight teams from 5-5A and 6-5A will pay fees of about $6,500 each, said Keller ISD athletic director Bob Dejonge.

"It's a little bit of an increase, but we understand with a larger facility, security issues and staffing to put on an event like that also increase," Dejonge said.

Little said the cost for renting the stadium for just one game is higher than $7,500 per team.

Thanks for posting that. I had no idea what the figures were. It doesn't sound like it is as much more for Arlington than Texas Stadium than I thought it might be. I would imagine that just the utilities for four hours of that place is a fortune.

If the schools were willing to pay those prices for Texas Stadium, then it seems to me that they should be willing to pay a little more for Arlington, if for no other reason than to guarantee that weather will not be a factor in November and December.

Here is something that I do not understand. My understanding is that the UIL gets 50% of the gate receipts for playoff games and that each school gets 25%. Why would the UIL get 50% if the schools are bearing all of the expense of the sites? What does the UIL do with all of that money? Someone please correct me if my understanding of the arrangement is incorrect.

SS has problems with teams that have speed like Marshall and Longview, both those teams had speed at every position on both sides of the ball and the ending score was not pretty. SS did move the ball against Marshall but could not close the deal when we got in the redzone, turned the ball over a lot and had a lot of overthrown passes to wide open recievers.

I am not saying that Denison does not have speed, but they don't compare to Marshall and Longview in the overall team speed department.

SS has a pretty tough run defense and forces teams to pass more than they want too. Our secondary has been great in the playoffs, has been putting some hard hits on recievers as a reward for catching the ball. I didn't realize how hard they were hitting until I saw Frisco WR's start pulling back from passes when there was a SS DB in the area.

SS still has a great offense and QB Colton Lee has improved from being just an average QB to a very good QB as the season has prevailed. He has been making the deep throw and has great pocket presence, also has a lot of speed and will pick up 15 to 20 on the ground at anytime.

When it is said that SS matches up better against Denison than Marshall, it is mainly because of the style of football being played.

Fair enough. As for how Denison matches up to SS... we match up far better with SS than we did with Marshall. We have seen offenses like this one all season and every one of them were held below their season average...

McKinney - they had a QB that's committed to LSU, the leading rusher in the Dallas area in 4A and one of the leading receivers. They had a great second quarter when they scored 29. Unfortunately, they scored 8 points the rest of the game.

Frisco Wakeland - had a QB, WR and RB that were all in the top 5 yardage-wise in the Dallas area in 4A when they met up with us. Too bad for them they were down 42-14 at the half. They did manage a couple more scores on our backups.

Sherman - averaged 43 points a game with a balanced offense (QB could run and throw, good RB and good receivers). They were down by three scores at halftime, but did make a charge in the second half to make it interesting. Still, they lost by 15 (which is the same number of points they scored below their average).

Richardson Pearce - their QB threw for over 600 yards and they had a WR with almost 400 yards the week before they played us (against Newman Smith, who lost by 3 to Longview). Like Wakeland, they were down 42-14 at the half to us, and that was the ballgame.

Obviously, one difference SS could have would be the quality of the defense. McKinney's defense was horrible, Wakeland and Pearce were somewhat better and Sherman was decent. SS's points allowed, with the exception of Longview, Marshall and Frisco Liberty, are strong. But that, to me, says that they have been able to handle lesser offenses. A team with a strong offense? Seems to be a different story. I'm liking our chances here.

That would be this week.

SS has had a problem with grades throughout the whole school this year, not just the football team. I believe we lost 30 band members due to grades. That is unacceptable.

yeah i don't get it??? This seems to be a carryover from last season. Back in the 90's i only remember one kid failing outta football in like 6 years and it wasnt because of grade curving either. It was because if you were failing James Cameron made you take your butt to tutoring before and after school even if it meant missing practice!

Dear Sufferin Springs,

To you, Denison was but a spot on the road last year on your way to a state title. You didn't think of us once in the off season. You haven't thought about us once this season. You probably we're even privately hoping for a Denison win yesterday so you could play that little team from North Texas who is always overrated.

Now let me tell you how Denison views you.

To us, you are the team that ruined our season last year. You are the team who had the greatest player in the state. You are the team who started our offseason. We HAVE been watching you all year. We HAVE been thinking about you everyday since those numbers read 0's at Texas Stadium.

SO....Here we are.

Signed,

The team that is about to unload on you. THE Denison Yellowjackets

Maybe you should get a life and reliving the agony of a 28-0 first quarter. We have already gone farther then anyone thought we would so all of the pressure will again be on you so expect this TEAM to come loose and firing on all cylinders.

As I said in the Marshall thread, I hope your players think they are playing the same team that lost to SS last year.

Last year, we were outclassed by SS. We lost by 3 TDs and the game really wasn't that close. I think SS can win (you never know what can happen on game day), but I guarantee it won't be like last year.

I can promise you that no one thinks it is the same Denison team as last year, just as it is not the same SS team as last year. Defense is the stronger point for this years SS team, but the offense is pretty potent also.

Denison has some great stats and is definately not a 1 dimensional team as they were last year. The Denison coaching staff seems to prepare their team well, they made some good adjustments at the half against Marshall and pulled it out in the 2nd half.

I believe both teams are equal when it comes to QB and WR's, but Denison has the upper hand with DJ Jones. SS has a sophmore at RB and has a done a great job and getting better every week SS has the same O-Line, minus 1 that graduated, as last year. Four of the five are 3 year starters, so I have to give the edge on the O-line to SS.

Defense seems to be a toss up. Both teams seem to have a good secondary, looks like Denison may have faced more passing teams than SS. Both teams have a great DE, Dial for SS is commited to Texas Tech.

Should be a good game, don't see either team winning by more than 10.

Mavchamp

you need to update your schedule, your 9-4 now

Denison 35

Marshall 26

Hey when is yall's next basketball game? Have fun in the gym boys!! :rofl:

And I'm sure ya'll will be joining us in a week or two as well!!! :highfive:

Obviously, one difference SS could have would be the quality of the defense. McKinney's defense was horrible, Wakeland and Pearce were somewhat better and Sherman was decent. SS's points allowed, with the exception of Longview, Marshall and Frisco Liberty, are strong. But that, to me, says that they have been able to handle lesser offenses. A team with a strong offense? Seems to be a different story. I'm liking our chances here.

I have no words for the LV and Marshall games. We were beat by LV before the game started and it was one of the few times that the game plan was horrible. We moved the ball on Marshall just couldn't convert to points, SS played terrible that night and could have been beat by a 1A school.

As far as Liberty, I was very surprised at how much they passed, but they could not run against us. 7 points were given up from a return on a blocked FG and we gave them great field position on a mishandled pooch kick in the first half that they cashed in for a TD. They still had about 330 yds total offense, much of that was from #2 after the catch, he had a lot of speed and quickness.

WRONG!!!

Beast showed up on the Marshall Vs. Corsicana (and I believe even started another thread called Denison Vs. Marshall/Corsicana) thread and was talking #### before the second round had even been played. THAT is what set some of the Mav fans off.

He drew first blood....and then had a little follower come in behind before the sensible Denison fans showed up.

Dont believe me? Go look BOTH thread up and there it will be.

Good luck to both teams next week and beyond....but I'm pulling for SS.

WRONG!!!

I did go back and look at the thread.  Now, I in no way condone the later actions of Beast21 or other Denison smacktalkers.  I was taught to win with class.  That being said, the OP was just a question of who would be playing Denison and if it was believed they could stop them.  You yourself responded with "Psssh Denison.... "  That sound like a knock against them to me.  Of course a SS fan follows with a dig about last years game.  Beast then replies building up his team again... and still has said nothing negative about any other team.  That is followed by more Denison bashing of how slow they look and they aren't all that.  Denison's QB isn't a threat at all, apparently.  It wasn't until then that Beast started talking smack about other teams.  It was also after this that he posted on the other thread.  I would have kept my mouth shut, but I grew tired of some individuals bashing Denison about how classless their fans are while ignoring their own loudmouth fans... especially when some of the bashers actually started the trash talk.  Thank you and have a nice day.

If you want to debate further then I suggest you first go back and recheck the thread HERE.

WRONG!!!

I did go back and look at the thread. Now, I in no way condone the later actions of Beast21 or other Denison smacktalkers. I was taught to win with class. That being said, the OP was just a question of who would be playing Denison and if it was believed they could stop them. You yourself responded with "Psssh Denison.... " That sound like a knock against them to me. Of course a SS fan follows with a dig about last years game. Beast then replies building up his team again... and still has said nothing negative about any other team. That is followed by more Denison bashing of how slow they look and they aren't all that. Denison's QB isn't a threat at all, apparently. It wasn't until then that Beast started talking smack about other teams. It was also after this that he posted on the other thread. I would have kept my mouth shut, but I grew tired of some individuals bashing Denison about how classless their fans are while ignoring their own loudmouth fans... especially when some of the bashers actually started the trash talk. Thank you and have a nice day.

If you want to debate further then I suggest you first go back and recheck the thread HERE.

Ya'll both remind me of my ex-wife, just got to keep bringing up the past when it really doesn't matter. Let a dead dog lay fellows. Every town has classless smack talkers, you just got to choose to ignore them. What happened last year is in the past, just as what was said last week is in the past.

You yourself responded with "Psssh Denison.... "  That sound like a knock against them to me.  

WRONG yet again.

Maybe you need to learn how to read before calling me out, mister.

That post was made by MAVSLAVE....not me. I'm MAVCHAMP. If you are going to call someone out by name, make sure you call out the right person.

BEAST started the Denison/Marshall or Corsicana post at 12:19 PM on Nov 16th.

The first Mav fan that responded came back with "corsicana first"

A SS fan opned with trash talk, not a Marshall fan.

Then Mavslave's comment (not mine)

then another smack by a SS fan, again, not from Marshall.

then a post by a Mav fan complimenting Denison's offense

I was the 14th person to respond, to which I said:

"I personally have no interesting in thinking about Denison right now. We have a very tough Corsicana team to think about right now".

how is that smack talk?

Beast had 4 or 5 jabs aimed at the Mavs on the first page alone. All of the smack talk came from either Beast or someone not even from Marshall.

Then Beast crashed the actual Corsican thread and said, "Does it matter? Whoever wins is a lock to be Denison's next victim". and "The winner needs to enjoy it.....cause its all coming to an abrupt end next Saturday".

Then came DTrain and Jacketbacker and a few more randoms. At that point....yes, the gloves were off.

But I think Beast and his cohorts coupled with some smack talk more by SS fans than Marshall fans is what got things heated.

But thanks for trying to make your point anyway.

This SS team got to feel the ultimate high last year and to alot of the critics the reasons they did are now laceing it up in college. This team at its core has alot to prove to themselves and the critics. I think that has alot to do with this playoff momentum they have going this year. Both teams have a chip on their shoulder of sorts and I have to believe that is gonna make for one intense game.

are you serious? wow.

in my honest opinion though, i think its basketball time for "THE" dennison yellowjackets. This guy they call the beast was said to run all over us last year, and i think we all remember that game. now this year SS defense is alot stronger than last year and our offensive is just a step behind. i think the ss defense is gonna hit the beast in the mouth (again) and sulphur springs take this one 35-21

Dont forget 2 of THE denison football players dislocated their shoulders during that game. IM not sure how serious the running backs was but the linebackers sat him on the bench the 2nd half. Without that running back just stop the QB and you will come out on top SS...

WRONG yet again.

Yep, you're right on your first point.  I apologize for getting you mixed up with another poster.  Your names were slightly similar and I ran with it.  Other than that you are wrong.  Regardless of what you said, both an SS fan and a Mav fan started talking down about the other team first.  The first SS fan didn't really say anything negative about Denison.... Mavslave did though, followed by an SS poster.  My point is that YOUR side started talking down about the other team first, but you just want to ignore that.  Its one thing to say I think my team will win because they are really good; compared to saying I think my team will win because yours is overrated.  As I said, I don't condone what Beast was saying, but he sure didn't start it.

Am I the only one who sees this whole argument as growing a bit tired? Game? Saturday? 2:00? Anybody still remember that?

No, yes, yes, yes, and yes.  Sorry.  I'm more than willing to keep it to football talk.  I've just grown tired of some posters pointing out Denison fans as classless while ignoring their own.  I'd prefer to talk football, but I WILL defend my family, friends, and neighbors.  

Back on topic, I don't think all of the Denison injuries were as serious as originally thought.