Denison 49 Sulphur Springs 35 (FINAL)

wildwoolycat

Make no mistake. Denison is a good football team, they're on a roll, and don't think for a second they have forgotten who gave them their only loss a year ago. There will be nothing poor or little about this team or this game. It will be a dogfight and SS will have to match the intensity that a school with a state title and revenge on their minds will bring. It has all the makings of a classic.

Denison definitely has a bad taste in their mouths left over from last years season ending loss to a very good SS team that won it all. With that said, I still think this is gonna be another big test for the Jackets. It's also gonna depend on how well the Jackets can heal up from a hard fought game with a bruising Marshall team. I think that team had some of the best size and speed I've seen in some time in the 4A ranks. They were by far the best team Denison has seen this year. It can be argued that SS is not the same team as last year, but it seems they have picked up some momentum as the year has went along. You definitely can't argue that they come out of one of the toughest districts in 4A (13-4A). I'm not sure I agree SS matches up better with Denison than Marshall. Denison has faced good passing teams several times this year and have kept them at bay. A couple of things Denison brings to the table this year that they did not against SS last year is a much better defense and a much more diverse offense. Mundine at TE is an absolute beast and probably the one of the best TE's in DHS history. The revenge factor doesn't necessarily come into play at this point of the season as Denison proved that to Stephenville in the mid 90's and La Marque proved that to Denison in the mid 90's. There are no turkeys left after Thanksgiving and it pretty much comes down to which team can make the least mistakes and good coaching. Here's to a great game between two great teams and hopefully both teams can play a clean and injury free game. 

Go Jackets!

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying it again... even though I despise trashtalking. A Marshall and an SS fan started downing Denison before the "Beast" started his idiotic ranting. Just saying...

WRONG!!!

Beast showed up on the Marshall Vs. Corsicana (and I believe even started another thread called Denison Vs. Marshall/Corsicana) thread and was talking #### before the second round had even been played. THAT is what set some of the Mav fans off.

He drew first blood....and then had a little follower come in behind before the sensible Denison fans showed up.

Dont believe me? Go look BOTH thread up and there it will be.

Good luck to both teams next week and beyond....but I'm pulling for SS.

Yea, I was hoping for a visit to Arlington myself but I guess geograpically this makes more sense Although if not Arlington why not Prim West again? Guess thats why they get paid the big bucks.

I am also anxious for an opportunity to attend a game in Arlington, but an official from Sulphur Springs told me that there will probably be no games there. He told me that the rental on that stadium is significantly higher than the rental was for Texas Stadium, and that we will only see the "rich" schools play there.

Dear Sufferin Springs,

To you, Denison was but a spot on the road last year on your way to a state title. You didn't think of us once in the off season. You haven't thought about us once this season. You probably we're even privately hoping for a Denison win yesterday so you could play that little team from North Texas who is always overrated.

Now let me tell you how Denison views you.

To us, you are the team that ruined our season last year. You are the team who had the greatest player in the state. You are the team who started our offseason. We HAVE been watching you all year. We HAVE been thinking about you everyday since those numbers read 0's at Texas Stadium.

SO....Here we are.

Signed,

The team that is about to unload on you. THE Denison Yellowjackets

Dear Sufferin Springs,

To you, Denison was but a spot on the road last year on your way to a state title. You didn't think of us once in the off season. You haven't thought about us once this season. You probably we're even privately hoping for a Denison win yesterday so you could play that little team from North Texas who is always overrated.

To us, you are the team that ruined our season last year. You are the team who had the greatest player in the state. You are the team who started our offseason. We HAVE been watching you all year. We HAVE been thinking about you everyday since those numbers read 0's at Texas Stadium.

SO....Here we are.

Signed,

Huh?

Guest surfsup
Yea, I was hoping for a visit to Arlington myself but I guess geograpically this makes more sense Although if not Arlington why not Prim West again? Guess thats why they get paid the big bucks.

Isn't there a little game between Texas and Nebraska in Arlington next week?

Denison definitely has a bad taste in their mouths left over from last years season ending loss to a very good SS team that won it all. With that said, I still think this is gonna be another big test for the Jackets. It's also gonna depend on how well the Jackets can heal up from a hard fought game with a bruising Marshall team. I think that team had some of the best size and speed I've seen in some time in the 4A ranks. They were by far the best team Denison has seen this year. It can be argued that SS is not the same team as last year, but it seems they have picked up some momentum as the year has went along. You definitely can't argue that they come out of one of the toughest districts in 4A (13-4A). I'm not sure I agree SS matches up better with Denison than Marshall. Denison has faced good passing teams several times this year and have kept them at bay. A couple of things Denison brings to the table this year that they did not against SS last year is a much better defense and a much more diverse offense. Mundine at TE is an absolute beast and probably the one of the best TE's in DHS history. The revenge factor doesn't necessarily come into play at this point of the season as Denison proved that to Stephenville in the mid 90's and La Marque proved that to Denison in the mid 90's. There are no turkeys left after Thanksgiving and it pretty much comes down to which team can make the least mistakes and good coaching. Here's to a great game between two great teams and hopefully both teams can play a clean and injury free game.

Go Jackets!

I'm not sure i'd call Sulphur Springs a passing offense as much as an offense that can pass. Looks pretty balanced to me. Sulphur Springs Wildcat 2009 Offensive stats

Guest jeffjam

I wouldn't talk smack about this game. SS has a good head of steam going and Denison will have a huge chip on their shoulder coming in. I wouldn't put a win past either of these two teams. But I think SS will pull another one out.

I am also anxious for an opportunity to attend a game in Arlington, but an official from Sulphur Springs told me that there will probably be no games there. He told me that the rental on that stadium is significantly higher than the rental was for Texas Stadium, and that we will only see the "rich" schools play there.

This was in the Dallas Morning News two weeks ago.....

To rent Texas Stadium, the Cowboys charged $5,500 per team, Cowboys spokesman Brett Daniels said. The base rent was $500 plus an additional $5,000 to cover game operation expenses.

Arlington ISD athletic director I.C. Little said the Cowboys increased the game operation fees at the new stadium but kept them reasonable. Little said the more games played in one day at Cowboys Stadium, the lower the cost per team.

Cowboys Stadium is hosting eight Class 5A games today through Saturday.

District 3-5A teams will play 4-5A teams in doubleheaders today and Friday. On Saturday, District 5-5A and 6-5A teams play each other in four games.

Little said the 3-5A and 4-5A teams will pay about $7,500 each for their doubleheaders.

"It's a good deal for both sides," he said. "Jerry [Jones] is not making any money off this. They've been very good to high school coaches."

For Saturday's quadruple-header, the eight teams from 5-5A and 6-5A will pay fees of about $6,500 each, said Keller ISD athletic director Bob Dejonge.

"It's a little bit of an increase, but we understand with a larger facility, security issues and staffing to put on an event like that also increase," Dejonge said.

Little said the cost for renting the stadium for just one game is higher than $7,500 per team.

After all the trash Denison talked, and for knocking the Mavs out, Go SS!

It is a bit ironic that most of the "trash" talking the BEAST was doing last week pretty much came to fruition. Can say as much for some of the comments from Marshall and SS fans that look pretty foolish now.

We'll see how this week plays out.

I'm hearing this a lot around here. I'm curious as to why you guys seem to think that.

SS has problems with teams that have speed like Marshall and Longview, both those teams had speed at every position on both sides of the ball and the ending score was not pretty. SS did move the ball against Marshall but could not close the deal when we got in the redzone, turned the ball over a lot and had a lot of overthrown passes to wide open recievers.

I am not saying that Denison does not have speed, but they don't compare to Marshall and Longview in the overall team speed department.

SS has a pretty tough run defense and forces teams to pass more than they want too. Our secondary has been great in the playoffs, has been putting some hard hits on recievers as a reward for catching the ball. I didn't realize how hard they were hitting until I saw Frisco WR's start pulling back from passes when there was a SS DB in the area.

SS still has a great offense and QB Colton Lee has improved from being just an average QB to a very good QB as the season has prevailed. He has been making the deep throw and has great pocket presence, also has a lot of speed and will pick up 15 to 20 on the ground at anytime.

When it is said that SS matches up better against Denison than Marshall, it is mainly because of the style of football being played.

Does Denison have their stats posted on the internet?

You can find SS stats at http://www.ssisd.net/default.aspx?name=football.2009

Offensively SS has gained 5,277 yards. 2785 Rushing and 2492 Passing.

Noteables on Offense

Rushing

Devion Hill - 124 for 829 yards, 8 TD (has not played in the playoffs, not sure that he will be back)

Colton Lee, QB - 122 for 799, 7 TD

Kody Chester - 105 for 628, 6 TD

There is 4 to 5 others that gets the ball occasionally that average between 4 to 7 yds per carry.

Recieving

Bryant Jackson - 51 for 723, 8 TD (plays CB/S on defense)

Shane McQueen - 39 for 589, 5 TD

Garrett Ferguson - 56 for 525

LaMarcus Kendricks - 20 for 235 (lines up at RB some)

Alvin Frazier - 20 for 220

Passing

Colton Lee - 181 comp out of 295 attempts for 2,199 yds, 13 TD, 13 Int

Defense

1855 Rushing 1201 Passing - 255 Avg per game, 20.8 pts allowed per game

Defense has 38 sacks, 83 QB pressures, 12 INT, 37 broken up passes, 5 defensive TD's

Noteables

Kedrick Dial - 11 sacks, 23 QB pressures and 1 TD

Jaco Spataro - 8 sacks

Sharard Timmons - 4 INT, 1 TD

Keiston Clayton - 3 INT, 1 TD

SS subs the D-line a lot, LB are very good - Tyler Higganbothom, Joe Scott(small but one the hardest hitters on the team) and Jimmy Villa is just mean.

Rematch from the third round of DII last year. How does this one end up. Personally I think SS will match up better with Denison than they did with Marshall. I see a barn burner decided on the last drive.

I don't think SS can hang with Denison this year. Denison has too many offensive weapons IMHO. That said, I don't think it will be easy for the Yellowjackets.

Does Denison have their stats posted on the internet?

You can find SS stats at http://www.ssisd.net/default.aspx?name=football.2009

Offensively SS has gained 5,277 yards. 2785 Rushing and 2492 Passing.

Noteables on Offense

Rushing

Devion Hill - 124 for 829 yards, 8 TD (has not played in the playoffs, not sure that he will be back)

Colton Lee, QB - 122 for 799, 7 TD

Kody Chester - 105 for 628, 6 TD

There is 4 to 5 others that gets the ball occasionally that average between 4 to 7 yds per carry.

Recieving

Bryant Jackson - 51 for 723, 8 TD (plays CB/S on defense)

Shane McQueen - 39 for 589, 5 TD

Garrett Ferguson - 56 for 525

LaMarcus Kendricks - 20 for 235 (lines up at RB some)

Alvin Frazier - 20 for 220

Passing

Colton Lee - 181 comp out of 295 attempts for 2,199 yds, 13 TD, 13 Int

Defense

1855 Rushing 1201 Passing - 255 Avg per game, 20.8 pts allowed per game

Defense has 38 sacks, 83 QB pressures, 12 INT, 37 broken up passes, 5 defensive TD's

Noteables

Kedrick Dial - 11 sacks, 23 QB pressures and 1 TD

Jaco Spataro - 8 sacks

Sharard Timmons - 4 INT, 1 TD

Keiston Clayton - 3 INT, 1 TD

SS subs the D-line a lot, LB are very good - Tyler Higganbothom, Joe Scott(small but one the hardest hitters on the team) and Jimmy Villa is just mean.

Devion has failed the past two six weeks, so if he is back at all it will be at the three weeks mark if the coaches let him

Devion has failed the past two six weeks, so if he is back at all it will be at the three weeks mark if the coaches let him

That would be this week.

SS has had a problem with grades throughout the whole school this year, not just the football team. I believe we lost 30 band members due to grades. That is unacceptable.

Dear Sufferin Springs,

SO....Here we are.

Signed,

are you serious? wow.

in my honest opinion though, i think its basketball time for "THE" dennison yellowjackets. This guy they call the beast was said to run all over us last year, and i think we all remember that game. now this year SS defense is alot stronger than last year and our offensive is just a step behind. i think the ss defense is gonna hit the beast in the mouth (again) and sulphur springs take this one 35-21