Denison 49 Sulphur Springs 35 (FINAL)

wildwoolycat

Indeed, we only beat them by 8.... two months ago. It's quite a bit different than doing it last week. Also, we had more than a "few mishaps" but we didn't have to come from behind to win. Furthermore, if you look at our season after that game, there are no more eight point victories because the very next week this team hit its STRIDE and it's yet to be broken. I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that a team that lost to Longview and Marshall by a combined score of 92-7 and almost lost to the #3 team in the supposedly weak 9-4A is suddenly going to rise up and roll over us. Last week somebody posted that we wouldn't finish in the top 4 of your district and then we go out and beat your second place team. Where would we finish now?

Honestly, the few SS fans that are talking heavy smack (and I'm not including the ones that believe their team will win but are realistic about it) remind me of a kid after you've already beaten one of his big brothers. It's hard not to roll your eyes. I get that you guys love east Texas football and I admire that (seriously) but for some of you, it's like football in east Texas is played by a breed of superhumans and everyone else are just mere mortals. It's one thing to think your team can win. It's another to think you are going to go out and roll a team (somebody here is picking SS 36-14, when we haven't scored below 35 since September) that just last week defeated a team that beat the snot out of you. Some of it has to be schtick.

That's the great thing about football, anything can happen on any given night. If you go back and look at my posts, you will not find where I have predicted either team to win. We got routed in 2 games last year also, and we barely hung on to beat Heath last year. You can compare common opponents all day long, but none of it matters except for the game at hand.

Upsets happen all the time in football, teams get beat by teams that are not supposed to beat them. SS did it in 4 out the 6 opponents they faced last year in the playoffs.

In 1986, yes it was a long time ago, SS was defeated by Henderson 42-0 in regular season. When playoffs rolled around SS got a rematch and beat Henderson 47-0, so if you want to bank on previous games, common opponents and predicitions from Dave Campbell(who is not very accurate), go ahead, everyone has their way of deciding what is going to happen. But the fact is no one will know until the final seconds run off the clock.

It could be a close game and it could be a blow out by either team, who knows what is going to happen, what team will make too many mistakes, who might get a winning TD called back because of a bone headed penalty that didn't even affect the play.

I admire Denison for their confidence and respect them as a team and a town, but don't think just because they beat a team that spanked us in the regular season that SS is going to lay down and lose all confidence. The victory in this game is going to have to be taken by whomever wins it, neither team is going to lay down and just hand it over.

I'm not going to talk smack and run my mouth at how SS is just going to run all over any team, never have and never will. I could have last year when we played Pine Tree, who by the way was terrible and still almost beat the SS team that won the State Championship last year. Any team can slip up on another team, in the case of this game....I don't believe either team will be slipping up on the other, I believe it will be a hard fought game and whoever the better team on Saturday may be will be the team that wins.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I like the idea that there are plenty in East Texas that still feel Denison is "over-rated".  I would bet though that the SS coaching staff doesn't feel that way just as I know our coaching staff fully respects SS and what they have done.  There is no one this deep in the playoffs that hasn't earned the right to be here... and earned it on the field, not on message boards.  Would be an interesting read though... you know if championships were won by our opinions. :clap:

My goodness! We do get touchy when it comes to our high school football. I can't believe SS has a poster that is predicting an SS win 36 to 14? I also can't believe that the line on the game is Denison by 17? Then again,,,it could happen either way!

It appears that two teams have apparently "stepped it up a notch" from earlier games in the season. Both teams beat a Frisco team by only a few. I don't think anybody is indicating that SS should just lay down and get beat because Denison is a better team (just leave Beast21 out of this discussion). These are two very talented teams or they would not be in the fourth round of the playoffs. Denison fans know all to well how SS can play ball. I am looking forward to a very good, hard fought, football game!

Now, I am going to let my high school colors fly a little bit. Denison did start the season a little slow and had a frustrating loss in Big Spring. Then they picked it up and rolled through the rest of the regular season. When the playoffs hit I think they stepped it up again. They put up 50 + points in first two playoff games then put 35 on Marshall (which was no easy task)! Defense, meanwhile, held their own. Marshall tested our defense very well and had them on their heels in the first half. But, Denison came back and had a 4th down stop and two interceptions to seal the deal! Marshall had some of the biggest young men I believe I have ever seen in high school ball! But, Denison was able to handle them in the long run. I do not know the status of the injured Denison players from the Marshall game. I think there are two players that appeared to have serious enough injuries that could cause them to sit out. Other than that they should field a healthy team. Denison also needs to get the "revenge" factor out of their head. If they come in too emotional, it will hurt them.

So, with all that said, if Denison sticks to their game plan and plays with the heart they did in the Marshall game, then I believe Denison wins in a close game with a score similar to the Marshall game.

Just remember this that until we are beat in the playoffs, we are the state champions and this TEAM was a large part of that TEAM and is not ready to relinquish the thrown without hitting the team that beats them right square in the mouth with all that they have and if they knock them out then they move on if not then they have given it their very best. Make no mistake we expect to WIN.

QUOTE (wildtigers @ Nov 30 2009, 05:37 PM) post_snapback.gifYou were given two touchdowns last week

You obviously missed the game because the Jackets weren't given anything. Every scoring drive they had started in their own territory and neither interception resulted in points so that's statement is pretty hard to believe.

I wondered the same thing. Actually, you could come closer to saying Denison gave away one touchdown with the first quarter fumble inside Marshall's 20.

Indeed, we only beat them by 8.... two months ago. It's quite a bit different than doing it last week. Also, we had more than a "few mishaps" but we didn't have to come from behind to win.

Yeah Denison beat Liberty by 8.... Two months ago.... Before Liberty changed their offense completely. Liberty only threw 15 passes against Denison. Seems like they threw 15 passes every quarter against SS. It was actually only 50 for the whole game but you get my point.

Honestly, the few SS fans that are talking heavy smack (and I'm not including the ones that believe their team will win but are realistic about it) remind me of a kid after you've already beaten one of his big brothers. It's hard not to roll your eyes. I get that you guys love east Texas football and I admire that (seriously) but for some of you, it's like football in east Texas is played by a breed of superhumans and everyone else are just mere mortals. It's one thing to think your team can win. It's another to think you are going to go out and roll a team (somebody here is picking SS 36-14, when we haven't scored below 35 since September) that just last week defeated a team that beat the snot out of you. Some of it has to be schtick.

I don't put too much stock into Denison's scoring. Liberty was probably the best team they played until Marshall. I think SS plays disciplined and limits the silly stuff that kept Liberty in the game. I'm going with the Wildcats winning 34-21. No Shtick.

Yeah Denison beat Liberty by 8.... Two months ago.... Before Liberty changed their offense completely. Liberty only threw 15 passes against Denison. Seems like they threw 15 passes every quarter against SS. It was actually only 50 for the whole game but you get my point.

I don't put too much stock into Denison's scoring. Liberty was probably the best team they played until Marshall. I think SS plays disciplined and limits the silly stuff that kept Liberty in the game. I'm going with the Wildcats winning 34-21. No Shtick.

Not even close. Big Spring, Sherman, and McKinney were all better than Liberty. We just played a terrible, terrible game against Liberty. Clicking on all cylinders, we could have beaten them by 50.

Liberty only threw 15 passes against Denison.

Yes, Liberty threw only 15 passes that game but attempted quite a few more than that but because of pressure up front and coverage in the secondary those turned into sacks or runs by the quarterback.

I don't put too much stock into Denison's scoring. Liberty was probably the best team they played until Marshall.

You can put whatever stock you want in it. Liberty did finish fourth in District 9-4A and also got spanked by Sherman and McKinney.

Beast 21 if you are not a Jacket player then stop leading these people to believe that you are. If you are a player then you have no business on here trash talkin' and I know your coaches would not approve. Marshall fans and SS fans, you have to know this is most likely not a player. You guys need to stop your trash talk as well...leave that for the players because like it or not, it is part of their game. Then when the game is over the loser needs to tip their hats and root for the winner in the following weeks. Afterall, if the team that beats you goes on to win it only makes your program look stronger. Marshall has a great program, SS has a great program, and so does Denison. Yes, you have the strongest district. However, that doesn't matter come Saturday. What a great place to be in for all us and what a great day Saturday will be. We are all one high school towns that love to support our kids and all three are the kind of towns that I would want my son playing for. A little jawin' would be OK but lets keep it to real talk...the winner still gets bragging rights. SS was better last year, no doubt about it. I don't know who is better this year and none of you do. We are both good enough to win. We beat Marshall. That doesn't make us better. We were better on that day. I think we are more balanced offensively and that is why we won last saturday...could have gone either way though. It wasn't by luck that we won and if Marshall had won it would not have been by luck. However, every championship team gets by on luck occasionally. I can't wait 'til Saturday...gives you goosebumps doesn't it.

This is Texas High School football and we will not treat it like the new roughing penalties and water it down. This is also America and the talk will not end. Let's get fired up Wildcats, no one from Denison believes that you can really win again, make believers out of them!!!!!!!!!

This is Texas High School football and we will not treat it like the new roughing penalties and water it down. This is also America and the talk will not end. Let's get fired up Wildcats, no one from Denison believes that you can really win again, make believers out of them!!!!!!!!!

Nice try. :notworthy: I think most Denison fans believe you can win and are expecting a heckuva game. We just don't think you will kick the #### out of us like you did last year. We believe we can win also. I can't wait for saturday. Lot of fun games this time of year.

Correction: EAST TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL!!!

:bounce: GO WILDCATS! :bounce:

a lot of people may believe you can win, which is fine you CAN, but you WON'T. get ready for 13-4A thump thump with Marshall.

Yes your right, We were beat by Marshall by a large margin, But imagine your a proud football player thats ready to show his town what he can do, and is then told he instead has to show Mt. Pleasant?? How are you supposed to play your senior night game your best with a giant yellow MP in the middle of the field??

And as I've said before "who's picked to win" means nothing. SS was picked to lose last year against:

Waxahachie, Denison, Rockwall Heath, and Everman, but we won anyway. And not barely, all solid wins.

And yes you are supposed to believe that, because we did the exact same thing last year. The team that won state is still here. Tyrick may have awesome stats and talent. But he can't get those stats unless he's got recievers to catch his passes and big linemen to protect him from sacks. And Colton has turned out to a very good quarterback and he can rush as good as a starting runningback. Were just as pumped as we could ever be and it would be a mistake to think were not as good as last year.

Don't take this wrong. Sulphur Springs is good but if you think they are as good as they were last year you are living in a dream world.

Running for his life most likely. Bring it on cause he will be introduced to the Darkside.

Hmm.. You sound like the lindale guys from a few weeks ago... Guess you heard the rumor about the O-line being "BIG AND SOFT" too. I hope you remember what happended to Darth Vader at the end... (Hint: BBQ'd) Just like that Denison D will be.

Stay frosty!

You never played football did you! Not one of you smack talkers probably ever played. You truly don't get it. Oh, you may have suited up but you never really played. I am talking about the Jacket smack talkers as well as the SS smack talkers. The kind of people who never really played and the ones that grow up talking smack are one in the same...just like the grown men that paint their face at an NFL game or wear jerseys with another grown mans name on the back of it. I can't believe I've stooped to blogging. But, I'm done and probably won't be back. How 'bout them Jackets.

I bet it's been a long time since you saw these Wildcats. They have matured a lot (especially at QB) since the Whitehouse game.

All teams should (better) mature during a season. I just don't think they are as good as your team was last year. Show's in the type of wins and losses you had. The Whitehouse game is good example. Didn't win it until the end of the game. Complete opposite of the year before. Also, your district losses were much different than last year. You're doing great and I'm all for you winning state again but I can't agree it's a better team.