State Quarterfinal: Longview vs Waxahachie

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (12-1) vs Waxahachie Indians (13-0)  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Waxahachie in a close one
    • Waxahachie in a blow out

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hachie,

Welcome to the wrath of the Lobos. ;)

There are some very knowledgable Lobo fans & there are some who just believe LV will win because that's the way it's supposed to be. IMO this is a tossup game. I'm rooting for the Lobos, but I've paid my respect to Waxahachie years ago.

This will be a war and a great game to see. Personally I'm picking LV 42-38 but nothing will surprise me in this one. I have 3 main observations about the two teams

1) Longview has not played to potential all year IMO. They have all the talent in the world but have not achieved the level I was expecting. The scary thing is....they could at any moment. They are a bomb that could go off, or could fizzle out. My gut feeling is that they'll explode. They have too much talent not to.

2) Waxahachie IMO has a disadvantage in that they have too many kids playing both ways. That's going to be a major handicap in the 4th qt against a team with the overall talent of LV. They also have a few injury questions.

3) To either team that thinks they have a big advantage in speed......I didn't see it. Both teams are loaded with speed. This game IMO will be won/lost in the turnover battle.

What in the world a result against Sulphur Springs last year (with Rollison) has to do with this year's team I have no idea. Same for Carter, not sure how or why that even got mentioned. Outside of the lunacy of those comments, I would concede that playing Lufkin in Lufkin is a tough proposition even in a down year for them. Beating Allen in Longview doesn't do as much for me as some of Longview's other wins so I wouldn't keep trumpeting that game up as some kind of barometer (Allen was kind of mediocre this year, they won a district that was down this year, and lost in the second round to a SLC team that promptly got smoked by a non-descript Bowie team).

Even comparing common opponents isn't a very good barometer. I don't follow either team enough to know, but the results would depend on matchups. Maybe Midway matched up with Longview better than Waxahachie did, and maybe Corsicana matched up with Waxahachie better than they did with Marshall. It's good for trash talk, which is all this thread is about anyway so maybe I should take my common sense somewhere else...

From ESPNDallas.com...........

Waxahachie coach sees mirror image in Longview

November 30, 2009, 12:29 PM

By: Randy Jennings/Special contributor

David Ream, head coach of 13-0 Waxahachie, sees many similarities in his team and fourth-round playoff opponent Longview.

Both offenses are built around power running attacks. The respective quarterbacks may not have gaudy numbers, but both are very capable passers.

"You never know for sure until you play, but just looking at them, this appears to be a really good matchup,'' Ream said. "We both have speed. The main difference is Longview has defensive linemen that can run 4.5.''

The Class 4A Division I Region II final kicks off at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Kincaide Stadium in Dallas, just 20 miles from Waxahachie. The stadium was the site for Waxahachie's 49-35 regional semifinal win over Highland Park on Friday.

Longview (12-1) is playoff-tested. It went all the way to the Class 4A Division finals last season, losing to Lake Travis, 48-23.

Waxahachie, in the playoffs for the 20th consecutive season, is having its best postseason run since 1993.

On the injury front, Waxahachie quarterback Venique Benton played with a knee brace for the first time and threw three touchdown passes against Highland Park. Benton tore a medial collateral ligament a week prior, which limits his ability to run.

Ream said he expects running backs Jamison Sterns and LaJordan Easley (ankle) to play. Both were injured in the second half against Highland Park. Sterns in fact returned in time to score the clinching touchdown.

Waxahachie 6-5 end Relus Chance made the defensive play to set up the final touchdown by batting a pass in the air and intercepting it in the final two minutes with his team leading by seven points.

"A great play and the second time he's done that this season,'' Ream said.

Benton actually threw 5 TDs against HP. (regarding the article above)

Us Hachie fans have alot of respect for Longview as I've already stated. When we looked at the playoff road, we thought we could handle Forney and we knew Texas High would give us a serious test. But we knew it would be hard to beat Highland Park (since we hadn't beaten them the last 4 meetings) and if we were lucky to get past them, well then we would have to take on a Longview team that went to the finals. So we know we have a good team but we're facing really good competition right now so anything can happen.

I kinda have to agree that turnovers will play a big part this week as they did in our last matchup. You can't turn the ball over against good teams and expect to win. I'm sure both teams will make their share of plays on offense and defense. I'm expecting a good game.

Did you happen to see McCray this weekend? He's back.

nope didnt see him but listened on the radio and didnt hear anything impressive until the end when the game was pretty much over and he made 2 good runs. I am not convinced he is back. I think people want him to be but i just dont think he is there. if he is 100% then here is something wrong bc he was scorching every defense last year and this year he hasnt scorched anyone.

Defense is the key to a big win in this game. Big win by who of course the Lobos. We have depth and experience in many major contest not with just this years squad but through our schools history. People are comparing scores and point margins. Some fail to see what an impact our defense has on an opponent every year especially against the run. An regardless of what people think our pass defense isn't that shabby either. When we finish playing you your going to feel it in the morning. Just ask Javorskie Lane. He helped Lufkin win some big games against us in his time played in high school ball but, he knew he was gonna have to work for every yard gained against longview. So bring your A game Waxahacie we've seen speed and size before, you have nothing new for us. We have nothing to prove our boys have proven themselves time and time again. Sure, we may not win pretty each time we take the field but the job gets done nevertheless. 13-0 means nothing to East Texas we come out of district tested each year no fluke's in this part of Texas. That's 5a to 1a, Tyler Lee had been tested and when the play offs started they had already been to battle so they were ready even at 3-7. An they were 6 points away from a regional final how about that! I know our players and fans get spoiled at times with continued success but, i take it as pride in our school and community where nothing less than perfection is exceptable or it seems that way. I know this places alot of pressure on our kids to satisfy expectations. I actually think it gives our boys motivation and a sense of responsibilty to continue a long standing tradition of continued success on and off the playing field at LHS and for all of East Texas for that matter.

Tired of hearing the Lobos bring up the Allen and Lufkin games. Allen was WAAAAAAY overrated and Lufkin is a one man team that was BOUNCED in the first round of the playoffs. Without #11 Deauntre Smiley Lufkin is a below .500 team.

Neither Allen nor Lufkin could have beaten Waxahachie and Lake Travis would have put up 50+ points on both of them.

sorry but i couldnt disagree more....how in the world was Allen overrated? and no team with success is a one man show.

Defense is the key to a big win in this game. Big win by who of course the Lobos. We have depth and experience in many major contest not with just this years squad but through our schools history. People are comparing scores and point margins. Some fail to see what an impact our defense has on an opponent every year especially against the run. An regardless of what people think our pass defense isn't that shabby either. When we finish playing you your going to feel it in the morning. Just ask Javorskie Lane. He helped Lufkin win some big games against us in his time played in high school ball but, he knew he was gonna have to work for every yard gained against longview. So bring your A game Waxahacie we've seen speed and size before, you have nothing new for us. We have nothing to prove our boys have proven themselves time and time again. Sure, we may not win pretty each time we take the field but the job gets done nevertheless. 13-0 means nothing to East Texas we come out of district tested each year no fluke's in this part of Texas. That's 5a to 1a, Tyler Lee had been tested and when the play offs started they had already been to battle so they were ready even at 3-7. An they were 6 points away from a regional final how about that! I know our players and fans get spoiled at times with continued success but, i take it as pride in our school and community where nothing less than perfection is exceptable or it seems that way. I know this places alot of pressure on our kids to satisfy expectations. I actually think it gives our boys motivation and a sense of responsibilty to continue a long standing tradition of continued success on and off the playing field at LHS and for all of East Texas for that matter.

lobopride I have been reading your posts all year. you are certainly entitled to your opinion but you are in danger of overdosing on green koolaid. Longview is not unbeatable as you and a few others seem to think they are. In fact we are very blessed to still be playing right now....this team has not lived up to the hype in some ways.

What in the world a result against Sulphur Springs last year (with Rollison) has to do with this year's team I have no idea. Same for Carter, not sure how or why that even got mentioned. Outside of the lunacy of those comments, I would concede that playing Lufkin in Lufkin is a tough proposition even in a down year for them. Beating Allen in Longview doesn't do as much for me as some of Longview's other wins so I wouldn't keep trumpeting that game up as some kind of barometer (Allen was kind of mediocre this year, they won a district that was down this year, and lost in the second round to a SLC team that promptly got smoked by a non-descript Bowie team).

Even comparing common opponents isn't a very good barometer. I don't follow either team enough to know, but the results would depend on matchups. Maybe Midway matched up with Longview better than Waxahachie did, and maybe Corsicana matched up with Waxahachie better than they did with Marshall. It's good for trash talk, which is all this thread is about anyway so maybe I should take my common sense somewhere else...

please...to say a 12-2 allen team is mediocre is lunacy! totally crazy!...they won 12 straight before they lost. maybe they didn't win state like last year..pretty sad when you say a 12-2 team like allen is average. ill tell u what, alot of teams would not want to play them.

EastTXfootballFan, you seem like one of the more ignorant lobo posters I've seen on my short time over here. You like to talk smack. I hope your team can back you up.

Sulpher Springs didn't smoke us. We gave them one of their tougher games in the playoffs last year. It was tied in the third qtr and SS scored a TD late in the 3rd and another TD in the 4th (35-21 final). Alot closer than most of the other games they had. Not to mention, Sterns transferred to Wax this year, Gagliano was injured in the SS game last year, and Easley was used primarily on defense last year, and Brown was an up and coming sophomore playing on varsity.

Again, you keep bringing up Allen and Lufkin. We didn't play those teams!!! Instead, if you want to compare common opponents, let's talk about Midway, Texas High, and to an extent Newman Smith and Highland Park. Who cares that you beat Allen. SLC got bounced this week by a nobody Bowie team! Who cares that you lost to Lufkin. No body in the state cares except YOU! Who cares about Carter?! How did they get into this discussion? We're not Carter, we actually do know what a forward pass is. I admire your homerism but you come off ignorant in your bullet points.

Umm. Who told you bowie was a nobody?

lobopride I have been reading your posts all year. you are certainly entitled to your opinion but you are in danger of overdosing on green koolaid. Longview is not unbeatable as you and a few others seem to think they are. In fact we are very blessed to still be playing right now....this team has not lived up to the hype in some ways.

LOL never said we were unbeatable actually. And some take me as cocky or an arrogant fan I don't care what people think lol. I'm just saying if you play the Lobos your going to have a huge test on your hands and your going to have to play your best no cheap ones here. And i would say the same for T-high, Gilmer, Carthage, Dangerfield the list goes on. I'm a Lobo fan of course but, I support all of E. Texas and want the best for us all. I hated to here Lee and Marshall lost this weekend. But yes i bleed green.

l....this team has not lived up to the hype in some ways.

Im a diehard Lobo since the 70's, but I have to agree. It just seems like they dont realize that noone is just gonna roll over for them. Last year was a different story offensively. I dont know what happened to #'s 10 and 7 this year. Last year they lit it up in the playoffs.

nope didnt see him but listened on the radio and didnt hear anything impressive until the end when the game was pretty much over and he made 2 good runs. I am not convinced he is back. I think people want him to be but i just dont think he is there. if he is 100% then here is something wrong bc he was scorching every defense last year and this year he hasnt scorched anyone.

Tyler hasn't played his best this year that's for sure but, he's had a nagging injury all year and still trys to gut it out. And I like many other fans that were able to make the trip to Corsicana saw a burst from him that hadnt been there most of the season. And he hit the line hard on every carry from what I noticed something you wont get from a radio broadcast. And the runs at the end were only able to happen because of our lines huge effort given all day. Hats off too them. And the constant pounding from all of those who contributing in the running game on Saturday.

Im a diehard Lobo since the 70's, but I have to agree. It just seems like they dont realize that noone is just gonna roll over for them. Last year was a different story offensively. I dont know what happened to #'s 10 and 7 this year. Last year they lit it up in the playoffs.

yeah I seem to remember the offense getting better each week in the playoffs last year until the championship but that just hasnt happened this year. #10 to #3 was almost automatic in the playoffs and this year itis almost non existent. just doesnt make sense to me.

Well...., I have been very humbled to say the least. I expected more from my Lobo team this year and I feel that as fans we have been shortchanged in the effort department-ESPECIALLY in the Secondary. Besides the Sulphur Springs game, we have not put forth a complete 4 quarter football game SINCE! As an Alum of Lobo Football and Longview High it makes me SICK to the very, depths of my soul to have a bunch of talented athletes that still lollygag and half-A on plays offensively and defensively.But, you know what? Another former Lobo has brought it to my attention that the administration & parents have the coaches hands "tied" are as far as what they used to be able to do in my era and many years before me. I was told, that a coach can't even hardly cuss without going through an act of congress to keep his job afterwards. The sad part about it is that these kids know it and use the new rules as leverage against the coaches. So, in essence we pretty much see our student athletes kind of doing and performing when they want to without any flack from the Head Coach. With that being said, I've been pretty hard on the coaches; especially King and I take back all the criticism that I've given them thus far, for they are surely coaching with "tied" hands nowadays!

Well...., I have been very humbled to say the least. I expected more from my Lobo team this year and I feel that as fans we have been shortchanged in the effort department-ESPECIALLY in the Secondary. Besides the Sulphur Springs game, we have not put forth a complete 4 quarter football game SINCE! As an Alum of Lobo Football and Longview High it makes me SICK to the very, depths of my soul to have a bunch of talented athletes that still lollygag and half-A on plays offensively and defensively.But, you know what? Another former Lobo has brought it to my attention that the administration & parents have the coaches hands "tied" are as far as what they used to be able to do in my era and many years before me. I was told, that a coach can't even hardly cuss without going through an act of congress to keep his job afterwards. The sad part about it is that these kids know it and use the new rules as leverage against the coaches. So, in essence we pretty much see our student athletes kind of doing and performing when they want to without any flack from the Head Coach. With that being said, I've been pretty hard on the coaches; especially King and I take back all the criticism that I've given them thus far, for they are surely coaching with "tied" hands nowadays!

Truly a most prophetic and honest observation of what i have seen from this team for a great deal of the second half of the season..i too am a alum of Lobo football and have pondered this same apparent lack of effort at certain times..its almost as if there is no worry, no excitement and no element of urgency.. i assure u Lobo nation, if this team has any asperations of advancing further in the playoffs, they will have to step up their effort and quit tippy-toeing and get their collective behinds in gear....throw the records away..these two teams seem awfully well matched and quite the mirror image of each other..it's gonna be one that we all will remember..Thumbs up

Guest surfsup

Frank, there are undoubtedly some boys on that team with that attitude, but I do not believe it is the majority of them. AJ, may not be the best passer in the world, but he brings 100% effort every week, and carries his team when he has to. Addy McGee brings more than 100% every week, he plays with more heart than anyone else on that football team, and he always rises to the occasion. Including that smart penalty he took against Whitehouse. There may be a few Lobo players who match the attitude you are talking about, but I do not see it out of everyone.

I have seen LV play once this year and unfortunately for me it was against SS. I have seen first hand what this team is capable of if they put their best effort forth. They were also setting some of their starters for disciplinary reasons and totaly aniliated us.

There was a lot of trash talk that week by SS fans and SS had also jumped in front of them in the poles, maybe that is what got them going...that the majority of SS thought they could hang, but I know that if LV gets on fire and plays with the passion that they did that Friday night...I don't see anyone beating them.