State Quarterfinal: Longview vs Waxahachie

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (12-1) vs Waxahachie Indians (13-0)  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Waxahachie in a close one
    • Waxahachie in a blow out

I have seen LV play once this year and unfortunately for me it was against SS. I have seen first hand what this team is capable of if they put their best effort forth. They were also setting some of their starters for disciplinary reasons and totaly aniliated us.

There was a lot of trash talk that week by SS fans and SS had also jumped in front of them in the poles, maybe that is what got them going...that the majority of SS thought they could hang, but I know that if LV gets on fire and plays with the passion that they did that Friday night...I don't see anyone beating them.

agree...this is exactly they type of game that gets longview going!.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...., I have been very humbled to say the least. I expected more from my Lobo team this year and I feel that as fans we have been shortchanged in the effort department-ESPECIALLY in the Secondary. Besides the Sulphur Springs game, we have not put forth a complete 4 quarter football game SINCE! As an Alum of Lobo Football and Longview High it makes me SICK to the very, depths of my soul to have a bunch of talented athletes that still lollygag and half-A on plays offensively and defensively.But, you know what? Another former Lobo has brought it to my attention that the administration & parents have the coaches hands "tied" are as far as what they used to be able to do in my era and many years before me. I was told, that a coach can't even hardly cuss without going through an act of congress to keep his job afterwards. The sad part about it is that these kids know it and use the new rules as leverage against the coaches. So, in essence we pretty much see our student athletes kind of doing and performing when they want to without any flack from the Head Coach. With that being said, I've been pretty hard on the coaches; especially King and I take back all the criticism that I've given them thus far, for they are surely coaching with "tied" hands nowadays!

they are 12-1 and you are dissapointed because they dont' win 75-0 with style points. this is what we have come to? crazy! enjoy the season, they are just kids and the other team wants to win also!!! wow, we are never satisfied unless it's perfection? then we will always be dissapointed! these kids have played hard,every team is out for them and they are still 12-1. won 5 district championships in a row, on 30 straight home games, 28 straight district games,are 26-3 over last 2 years,etc.... think about that and then tell me you are still dissapointed.

they are 12-1 and you are dissapointed because they dont' win 75-0 with style points. this is what we have come to? crazy! enjoy the season, they are just kids and the other team wants to win also!!! wow, we are never satisfied unless it's perfection? then we will always be dissapointed! these kids have played hard,every team is out for them and they are still 12-1. won 5 district championships in a row, on 30 straight home games, 28 straight district games,are 26-3 over last 2 years,etc.... think about that and then tell me you are still dissapointed.

great post. while I think this team has underachieved a little considering what we have back from last year they continue to win. It may not be pretty but they win. I think some are being a little unfair to them. They have a tremendous amount of pressure on them. I hope they come out and have fun this week.

Frank Lucas made a comment about the coaches not being able to cuss and that is how it should be. They are coaches but more important than that they should be leaders and role models for these boys but unfortunately some of them are not. I have been around and heard some of these grown men talking and it is sad.

How come Tyler did not play much in the regular season I know he had the ankle injury but even after that he didnt play much.

The nagging injury + discipline problems were the regular season cause.

I was told, that a coach can't even hardly cuss without going through an act of congress to keep his job afterwards.

King rarely holds back when it comes in that regard....at least he didn't when I was there. Maybe he's been forced to change that in the past 3 seasons but I doubt it.

Aside from all this typical pregame trash talk, just rememeber to wear everything you got... it was freezing in that stadium last week for HP-Waxa, and it is gonna be colder this week.... the wind cuts through and with no sun, you will need all you got to keep warm...

you have been warned....

Sulpher Springs didn't smoke us. We gave them one of their tougher games in the playoffs last year. It was tied in the third qtr and SS scored a TD late in the 3rd and another TD in the 4th (35-21 final). Alot closer than most of the other games they had. Not to mention, Sterns transferred to Wax this year, Gagliano was injured in the SS game last year, and Easley was used primarily on defense last year, and Brown was an up and coming sophomore playing on varsity.

And that game was the last time Waxahachie lost, more than a calender year ago.

Ranking the best teams that LV & Hachie have played this year (using maxpreps.com overall national ranking):

39. LONGVIEW (12-1)

105. Allen (10-2) - WIN 28-25

271. Marshall (9-3) - WIN 47-30

312. Lufkin (8-3) - LOSS 28-14

316. Tyler Lee (6-6) - WIN 31-7

360. Carrollton Smith (10-3) - WIN 28-25

390. Texas High (7-4) - WIN 28-25

488. Waco Midway (9-3) - WIN 14-13

559. Sulphur Springs (10-3) - WIN 45-0

2580. Hallsville (3-7) - WIN 45-0

2871. Whitehouse (3-8) - WIN 52-9

3873. Mount Pleasant (3-7) - WIN 44-0

6422. Pine Tree (1-9) - WIN 56-7

7131. Natchitoches Central, LA (1-9) - WIN 54-14

Average National Ranking: 1975

66. Waxahachie (13-0)

250. Highland Park (11-2) - WIN 49-35

292. Everman (11-2) - WIN 29-6

390. Texas High (7-4) - WIN 35-21

488. Waco Midway (9-3) - WIN 34-21

1308. Corsicana (6-6) - WIN 21-14

1310. Waco University (7-5) - WIN 39-14

1409. Ennis (5-5) - WIN 48-23

1462. West Mesquite (7-4) - WIN 43-14

1913. Cleburne (6-4) - WIN 49-36

2303. Forney (6-5) - WIN 35-12

2314. Waco (2-8) - WIN 56-27

2800. Lancaster (4-6) - WIN 35-20

4899. Midlothian (1-9) - WIN 49-26

Average National Ranking: 1626

Ranking the best teams that LV & Hachie have played this year (using maxpreps.com overall national ranking):

39. LONGVIEW (12-1)

105. Allen (10-2) - WIN 28-25

271. Marshall (9-3) - WIN 47-30

312. Lufkin (8-3) - LOSS 28-14

316. Tyler Lee (6-6) - WIN 31-7

360. Carrollton Smith (10-3) - WIN 28-25

390. Texas High (7-4) - WIN 28-25

488. Waco Midway (9-3) - WIN 14-13

559. Sulphur Springs (10-3) - WIN 45-0

2580. Hallsville (3-7) - WIN 45-0

2871. Whitehouse (3-8) - WIN 52-9

3873. Mount Pleasant (3-7) - WIN 44-0

6422. Pine Tree (1-9) - WIN 56-7

7131. Natchitoches Central, LA (1-9) - WIN 54-14

Average National Ranking: 1975

66. Waxahachie (13-0)

250. Highland Park (11-2) - WIN 49-35

292. Everman (11-2) - WIN 29-6

390. Texas High (7-4) - WIN 35-21

488. Waco Midway (9-3) - WIN 34-21

1308. Corsicana (6-6) - WIN 21-14

1310. Waco University (7-5) - WIN 39-14

1409. Ennis (5-5) - WIN 48-23

1462. West Mesquite (7-4) - WIN 43-14

1913. Cleburne (6-4) - WIN 49-36

2303. Forney (6-5) - WIN 35-12

2314. Waco (2-8) - WIN 56-27

2800. Lancaster (4-6) - WIN 35-20

4899. Midlothian (1-9) - WIN 49-26

Average National Ranking: 1626

Based on that data, Longview looks to be the logical choice this week. Discounting the teams both had to play that aren't very good this year, Longview played a much tougher schedule.

Saturday, November 07, 2009

With a chance to claim a district title on its home-away-from-home field, Midway instead dropped the ball and felt the pangs of frustration Friday night at Floyd Casey Stadium.

Fourth-ranked Waxahachie forced six Midway turnovers and scored on an interception and a punt return for touchdowns to defeat the No. 7 Panthers, 34-21, at Floyd Casey Stadium.

Waxahachie finished off an undefeated regular season and grasped the District 16-4A title with a 7-0 record. In doing so, the Indians spoiled Midway coach Kent Bachtel’s final regular season game. Bachtel, Midway’s head coach for the past 23 seasons, is retiring after this campaign.

image_8631741.gif

Photo fun

> Our photographers got some great shots of fans having fun in the stands and action on the field. Click here to check them out.

“I sure wanted to win this one,” Bachtel said. “We’ve got to do like we did after our other loss this season and come back and play a great game.”

The Panthers responded to a 40-31 loss to Corsicana in October by throttling University, 20-0, the next week.

And Midway isn’t finished playing for Bachtel just yet. The Panthers (8-2, 6-2 in 16-4A) advance to the Class 4A Division I playoffs as the No. 2 seed from the district. Midway is set to play Red Oak at 1 p.m. Saturday at Waco ISD Stadium.

In 2008, the Panthers advanced to the regional final round of the playoffs. To match that effort, Midway will have to forget about a rough effort against Waxahachie.

Midway quarterback Ryan Smith passed for 227 yards and three touchdowns, but he threw three interceptions, one of which Indians cornerback Oshae Cofer returned 55 yards for a touchdown.

The Panthers also fumbled five times, losing three of them. The most costly fumble, though, might have been one Midway got back.

MIdway trailed 27-13 when running back Marc Martinez broke loose for an 83-yard run to the Waxahachie 4. However, with the chance to punch it in, Smith lost the handle on the snap on first down and had to fall on it at the 5.

Martinez gained just two yards on the next two plays, then Midway kicker Cameron Dorsett hooked a 21-yard field goal wide left.

So the Panthers went from an opportunity to cut Waxahachie’s lead to one touchdown to just another opportunity that resulted in no points.

“We need to score when we get the chance,” Bachtel said. “We got down there a couple of times and fumbled or missed a field goal.”

Waxahachie got the better of a sloppy first half in which the teams combined for seven turnovers.

Smith gave up the interception return for a touchdown when he overthrew Levi Norwood on a bubble screen. Waxahachie’s Cofer gathered in the ball near the sideline and sprinted 55 yards for the touchdown, boosting the Indians’ lead to 13-0 less than eight minutes into the game.

image_8680945.jpg Midway running back Marc Martinez (32) is reeled in by Waxahachie tackler Gerard Randle (31) in Friday night's battle for the District 16-4A title at Floyd Casey Stadium. Waxahachie won, 34-21. (Rod Aydelotte photo)

But Midway minimized the damage by forcing three Waxahachie turnovers and constructing a 93-yard touchdown drive in the second quarter.

Smith completed a 33-yard pass to Norwood to move the Panthers out of the deeper regions of their own territory to the 50. From there, Martinez plowed ahead for key yards before Smith connected with Norwood again on an acrobatic 24-yard touchdown.

Norwood initially grabbed the ball out of the reach of Cofer, then Cofer tipped the ball, but Norwood was able to handle it and waltz into the end zone from inside the 5.

Smith added another nice play near the end of the half as he eluded pressure just outside the 10 and threw across the field to a wide-open Ronnie Lee for a 10-yard score that cut Waxahachie’s lead to 21-13.

However, the Indians quickly moved deep into Midway territory, aided by a pair of Panther penalties, and kicker Taylor Brown booted a 25-yard field goal on the final play of the first half.

Brown’s kick put Waxahachie ahead 24-13 at the break. Still, with the Panthers set to receive the opening kickoff of the third quarter, it seemed they had a chance to quickly change the momentum of the game.

But the only thing MIdway did consistently on the night was let momentum slip away.

On the Panthers’ second play of the third quarter, Smith threw complete to Norwood on a screen pass, but Norwood fumbled and Waxahachie defensive end Relus Chance recovered at the Midway 17.

The Panthers defense held the Indians out of the end zone, but Brown’s 37-yard field goal put the Indians ahead by two scores and Midway couldn’t get any closer.

Waxahachie running back LaJordan Easley gained 110 yards on 11 carries. He put the Indians ahead with his 44-yard touchdown run on their first possession.

Martinez gained 144 yards on 23 carries for the Panthers, but he didn’t score.

Doesn't sound like hachie dominated Midway,, but Midway hurt themselves!!!!!!!!! Go Lobos

Are any of Waxahacie's players D1 recruits if so who and where.

1. Sam Gagliano - Air Force, Army, Tulsa

2. Relus Chance - Committed to Tulsa

3. Ladarius Brown - Florida, Houston, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Wake Forest

4. Jamison Sterns - Committed to UTEP

5. LaJordan Easley - I'm sure he's offered but don't know which schools

These are just the ones I know of - don't know if any others have or will be offered.

Doesn't sound like hachie dominated Midway,, but Midway hurt themselves!!!!!!!!! Go Lobos

Did you go to the game? Did you even read the article? Have you seen highlights of the game? I'm assuming the answer to these questions is a big NO!

Midway got dominated plain and simple. All but 1 of the six Midway turnovers were caused by Waxahachie and we had 3 turnovers ourselves - so its not like we played a perfect game either. We had one drive end at the Midway 1 yard line after we couldn't punch it in and had another drive end on a missed field goal. They're lucky we didn't convert points on those drives. Despite having those miscues, we led 34-13 late in the 4th quarter when we put some subs in. Thats when Midway drove the field and scored a touchdown (including a 2 point conversion) to make it 34-21. It was basically trash points. Midway basically had one long run where Martinez (RB) picked up most of his rushing yards for the night. We expected a better game from them but we didn't get it. Keep telling yourself that we didn't dominate and Midway hurt themselves.

I find it funny that some Lobo fans aren't wanting to compare games (because its not in their favor) while others are and make generalizations that we didn't play good - it was the other team that played bad. LOL

1. Sam Gagliano - Air Force, Army, Tulsa

2. Relus Chance - Committed to Tulsa

3. Ladarius Brown - Florida, Houston, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Wake Forest

4. Jamison Sterns - Committed to UTEP

5. LaJordan Easley - I'm sure he's offered but don't know which schools

These are just the ones I know of - don't know if any others have or will be offered.

Thanks Hachie: I'll keep an eye on them. I figured these guys would be getting some attention from what i've heard. I have family and friends that live in Forney so they told me which player's impressed them the most. Can't wait for this game.

Midway QB and TB combined for 371 yards,,,correct?

No prob LP98.

85lobo, if you're talking total yards, I'd say they combined for 361 (rushing and passing). Midway is not a bad team, I just think we dominated them in many ways that night. They can be a very balanced team and make you defend the entire field. Going in, they said they were going to shut us down since they had this great defense but our offense was too much for them. On defense, they moved the ball on us but some of those drives we stopped them, on others our defense got a turnover, and they scored on a couple others.

I think its no secret that our offense can move the ball on anybody. Our defense will give up some yards and some scores but the way its been playing out, we've been scoring alot more points than we've been giving up.

To answer your first question, it varies - everybody on the team is expected to play offense and defense. If you look at our roster, everyone usually has two positions listed. Some play both ways most of the time but when they need a breather, someone else goes in for them - which I think keeps them from getting gassed. Some people think we will wear out in the 4th but when you got guys coming in for you and you can take some plays off - they're able to recouperate. You find some of our best playmakers going both ways because they want to keep that talent on the field.

Midway QB and TB combined for 371 yards,,,correct?

I find it funny that your questioning our performance against Midway including saying that we returned one of their punts for a touchdown when Longview pretty much did the same thing by returning a fumble for a touchdown and scoring only 1 offensive TD all night.

I find it funny that some Lobo fans aren't wanting to compare games (because its not in their favor) while others are and make generalizations that we didn't play good - it was the other team that played bad. LOL

Yeah, because God forbid a fanbase as large as Longview's on this site not have EVERYONE seeing things the same way. Seriously, there are tons of Longview fans. Some might think that comparing common opponents holds water, some don't. Don't start crying because YOU compared games over and over between us and Midway and then someone exposed that Midway played HORRIBLE that night.

I find it funny that your questioning our performance against Midway including saying that we returned one of their punts for a touchdown when Longview pretty much did the same thing by returning a fumble for a touchdown and scoring only 1 offensive TD all night.

That's what I was thinking as well.

That being said, Midway sounds like they played Wax a lot like Longview played Lufkin. Drove the ball well, but made a lot of mistakes and put the football on the turf too much to earn a win.

Can we just go ahead and play this one tomorrow? I love to see two power-football teams duking it out.

Yeah, because God forbid a fanbase as large as Longview's on this site not have EVERYONE seeing things the same way. Seriously, there are tons of Longview fans. Some might think that comparing common opponents holds water, some don't. Don't start crying because YOU compared games over and over between us and Midway and then someone exposed that Midway played HORRIBLE that night.

Not crying, just calling it like it is. Every game we've compared, Waxahachie looks like the better team. Plain and simple. But that's why we play the games! See ya on Saturday.