The legend of Vince Young lives!

suicidesqueeze

I remember reading on here over the last couple of years when I was too young to join and post many of you, especially Aggies, Sooners and Trojans referring to VY as "radio". You said couldn't cut it in the NFL because he wasn't smart enough and teams figured him out.

Well, he now has the Titans on a 5 game winning streak since he took over. He is making all the throws and making good reads. Did you see what he just did to Arizona? Down by 4 with 2:37 to go in the game and starting at his own 1 yard line. He drives them 99 yards in 18 plays, throwing every down, and completes a 10 yard pass for the game winning touchdown on the last play of the game. His numbers today were 26 for 43 for 387 yards, 1 TD and 0 ints. To make it even sweeter, Matt Leinhart was on the other side watching history again as he was the starter for Arizona today in place of the in jured Kurt Warner. Vince did it all with his arm on the drive and many times went to his 2nd and 3rd reads. Seems smart enough to me. The guy is a winner. He just gets it done in crunch time. How do you guys like your crow served?

He still hasn't won a playoff game. Even Vinny Testaverde had some great games.

Neither did Peyton Manning by his 3rd year. Give it time. The fact is he is 23-11 as a NFL starter in only his 3rd year and he did win rookie of the year. You, like others, have a tough time admitting when you are wrong.

I remember reading on here over the last couple of years when I was too young to join and post many of you, especially Aggies, Sooners and Trojans referring to VY as "radio". You said couldn't cut it in the NFL because he wasn't smart enough and teams figured him out.

Well, he now has the Titans on a 5 game winning streak since he took over. He is making all the throws and making good reads. Did you see what he just did to Arizona? Down by 4 with 2:37 to go in the game and starting at his own 1 yard line. He drives them 99 yards in 18 plays, throwing every down, and completes a 10 yard pass for the game winning touchdown on the last play of the game. His numbers today were 26 for 43 for 387 yards, 1 TD and 0 ints. To make it even sweeter, Matt Leinhart was on the other side watching history again as he was the starter for Arizona today in place of the in jured Kurt Warner. Vince did it all with his arm on the drive and many times went to his 2nd and 3rd reads. Seems smart enough to me. The guy is a winner. He just gets it done in crunch time. How do you guys like your crow served?

I'd hold of on your crow serving for a little bit.

Vince still hasn't had to play a solid team.

Jacksonville (6-5)*

San Fran (5-6)

Buffalo (4-7)*

Houston (5-6)

Arizona (7-4)* was playing with out Kurt Warner

*played in Tenn

Vince gets to visit the Colts next. Lets see how he handles a team that knows how to win and is injury free. If he leaves Indy with a W...I'll enjoy my crow.

Neither did Peyton Manning by his 3rd year. Give it time. The fact is he is 23-11 as a NFL starter in only his 3rd year and he did win rookie of the year. You, like others, have a tough time admitting when you are wrong.

If I were to say Vince Young was a legend in the NFL, then I'd have to say that Danny White or Tony Romo are legends in the NFL.

Let's take a look at the Rookies of the Year :

AP Offensive Rookies of the Year

Season Player Team Position College

1967 Mel Farr Detroit Lions Running back UCLA - not a legend

1968 Earl McCullouch Detroit Lions Wide receiver USC - not a legend

1969 Calvin Hill Dallas Cowboys Running back Yale - not a legend

1970 Dennis Shaw Buffalo Bills Quarterback San Diego State - not a legend

1971 John Brockington Green Bay Packers Running back Ohio State - not a legend

1972 Franco Harris Pittsburgh Steelers Running back Penn State - legend

1973 Chuck Foreman Minnesota Vikings Running back Miami - umm, well sort of, but not a legend

1974 Don Woods San Diego Chargers Running back New Mexico - not a legend

1975 Mike Thomas Washington Redskins Running back UNLV - not a legend

1976 Sammy White Minnesota Vikings Wide receiver Grambling State - umm, again, not a legend

1977 Tony Dorsett Dallas Cowboys Running back Pitt - legend

1978 Earl Campbell Houston Oilers Running back Texas - legend

1979 Ottis Anderson St. Louis Cardinals Running back Miami - legend, he needs to be in the HOF.

1980 Billy Sims Detroit Lions Running back Oklahoma - umm, again, not a legend

1981 George Rogers New Orleans Saints Running back South Carolina - not a legend

1982 Marcus Allen Los Angeles Raiders Running back USC - legend

1983 Eric Dickerson Los Angeles Rams Running back Southern Methodist - legend

1984 Louis Lipps Pittsburgh Steelers Wide receiver Southern Mississippi - not a legend

1985 Eddie Brown Cincinnati Bengals Wide receiver Miami - not a legend

1986 Rueben Mayes New Orleans Saints Running back Washington State - not a legend

1987 Troy Stradford Miami Dolphins Running back Boston College - not a legend

1988 John Stephens New England Patriots Running back Northwestern State - rest his soul, but not a legend

1989 Barry Sanders Detroit Lions Running back Oklahoma State - legend

1990 Emmitt Smith Dallas Cowboys Running back Florida - legend

1991 Leonard Russell New England Patriots Running back Arizona State - not a legend

1992 Carl Pickens Cincinnati Bengals Wide receiver Tennessee - not a legend

1993 Jerome Bettis Los Angeles Rams Running back Notre Dame - The Bus is a legend

1994 Marshall Faulk Indianapolis Colts Running back San Diego State - legend

1995 Curtis Martin New England Patriots Running back Pitt - legend

1996 Eddie George Houston Oilers Running back Ohio State - umm, close, not a legend

1997 Warrick Dunn Tampa Bay Buccaneers Running back Florida State - close again, not a legend

1998 Randy Moss Minnesota Vikings Wide receiver Marshall - legend, not happy with his off the field antics, but a will be

1999 Edgerrin James Indianapolis Colts Running back Miami - legend

2000 Mike Anderson Denver Broncos Running back Utah - not a legend

2001 Anthony Thomas Chicago Bears Running back Michigan - not a legend

2002 Clinton Portis Denver Broncos Running back Miami - not a legend

2003 Anquan Boldin Arizona Cardinals Wide receiver Florida State - maybe one day

2004 Ben Roethlisberger Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback Miami (Ohio) - very close to being a legend

2005 Carnell "Cadillac" Williams Tampa Bay Buccaneers Running back Auburn - has more to prove

2006 Vince Young Tennessee Titans Quarterback Texas - Has a lot to prove

2007 Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings Running back Oklahoma - On his way

2008 Matt Ryan Atlanta Falcons Quarterback Boston College - Has a lot to prove

AP Defensive Rookies of the Year

Season Player Team Position College

1967 Lem Barney Detroit Lions Cornerback Jackson State - in the HOF, and was he really a legend ?

1968 Claude Humphrey Atlanta Falcons Defensive end Tennessee State - not a legend

1969 Joe Greene Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive tackle North Texas State - legend

1970 Bruce Taylor San Francisco 49ers Cornerback Boston College - not a legend

1971 Isiah Robertson Los Angeles Rams Linebacker Southern - not a legend

1972 Willie Buchanon Green Bay Packers Cornerback San Diego State - not a legend

1973 Wally Chambers Chicago Bears Defensive tackle Eastern Kentucky - not a legend

1974 Jack Lambert Pittsburgh Steelers Linebacker Kent State - legend

1975 Robert Brazile Houston Oilers Linebacker Jackson State - close, but not a legend

1976 Mike Haynes New England Patriots Cornerback Arizona State - close, but not a legend

1977 A.J. Duhe Miami Dolphins Defensive end LSU - close, but not a legend

1978 Al Baker Detroit Lions Defensive end Colorado State - not a legend

1979 Jim Haslett Buffalo Bills Linebacker IUP - as a coach and player, he's still not a legend

1980 Buddy Curry & Al Richardson Atlanta Falcons Linebackers UNC (Curry) & Georgia Tech (Richardson) -neither are legends

1981 Lawrence Taylor New York Giants Linebacker UNC - legend

1982 Chip Banks Cleveland Browns Linebacker USC - close, but not a legend

1983 Vernon Leroy Maxwell Baltimore Colts Linebacker Arizona State - not a legend

1984 Bill Maas Kansas City Chiefs Defensive tackle Pitt - Bill Maas or Kevin Maas ? neither are legends

1985 Duane Bickett Indianapolis Colts Linebacker USC - not a legend

1986 Leslie O'Neal San Diego Chargers Defensive end Oklahoma State - close but not a legend

1987 Shane Conlan Buffalo Bills Linebacker Penn State - not a legend

1988 Erik McMillan New York Jets Safety Missouri - not a legend

1989 Derrick Thomas Kansas City Chiefs Linebacker Alabama - legend

1990 Mark Carrier Chicago Bears Safety USC - not a legend

1991 Mike Croel Denver Broncos Linebacker Nebraska - not a legend

1992 Dale Carter Kansas City Chiefs Cornerback Tennessee - legend

1993 Dana Stubblefield San Francisco 49ers Defensive tackle Kansas - close, but not a legend

1994 Tim Bowens Miami Dolphins Defensive tackle Ole Miss - not a legend

1995 Hugh Douglas New York Jets Defensive end Central State - not a legend

1996 Simeon Rice Arizona Cardinals Defensive end Illinois - close, but not a legend

1997 Peter Boulware Baltimore Ravens Linebacker Florida State - not a legend

1998 Charles Woodson Oakland Raiders Cornerback Michigan - might be a legend, if he can keep it up

1999 Jevon Kearse Tennessee Titans Defensive end Florida - not a legend

2000 Brian Urlacher Chicago Bears Linebacker New Mexico - maybe, but keeps getting injured, not a legend

2001 Kendrell Bell Pittsburgh Steelers Linebacker Georgia - not a legend

2002 Julius Peppers Carolina Panthers Defensive end UNC - not a legend

2003 Terrell Suggs Baltimore Ravens Linebacker Arizona State - he needs to play at his level for 3 more years to be a legend

2004 Jonathan Vilma New York Jets Linebacker Miami - making his mark with the Saints, but not a legend

2005 Shawne Merriman San Diego Chargers Linebacker Maryland - a legend with nookie girls, but not in the NFL

2006 DeMeco Ryans Houston Texans Linebacker Alabama - not a legend

2007 Patrick Willis San Francisco 49ers Linebacker Ole Miss - not a legend

2008 Jerod Mayo New England Patriots Linebacker Tennessee - not a legend

What has Vince Young really done in the NFL ?

I never said Vince was a legend in the NFL. I titled the thread the legend of Vince Young. He acheived legendary status in college and is now making some legedary things happen in the NFL. No team has ever started 0-6 and then won 5 in a row. It has happened now. That is legendary. He drove his team 99 yards in 2:37 today, converted three 4th down plays and won on the last play. That is a legendary drive. What has he done in the NFL? Post a 23-11 record as a starter in 3 years. Better than players like Peyton Manning, Brett Farve, John Elway among others. No I am not comparing him to those guys. But why don't you ask what those legens did in their 1st 3 years. He is having a very good start. I know you hate crow but come on man. Eat up.

Vince Young was amazing today against Arizona. And, his turnaround from where he was a year ago to now has been remarkable.

Patience is a good thing.

Meanwhile, I have read and heard as many UT fans downgrading Vince Young's professional career as anyone.

We all know he's among the the greatest college players ever.

But, there have been a lot of great college players who didn't make in the NFL, for whatever reason, injuries, transition, talent level change, bad system, off-field issues.

To label the naysayers of Vince Young as mainly Sooners, Aggies, and Trojans is ridiculous.

As many UT fans have wondered about his NFL career as well.

David Smoak

Dang it Dave.....can you not show Vince any love at all? What do you have against the guy? Geez!!!

I' ve been following him since high school so it is hard for me to deal with people constantly bashing him. He may not be conventional but he always finds ways to win and I love that about him. He desires to be great.

Will Tennessee make the playoffs this year ? Will they make it next year ? I'm not bashing Vince Young, he just hasn't done anything in the NFL to crow about. I'm not going to eat any crow, until he plays for a Lombardi Trophy. That's all that matters in the NFL. Coach Fisher has been to a title game, and game up one yard short against the Greatest Show on Turf. Look at the Rams right now, and Coach Lovey Smith has thought about bringing Mike Martz in this past week.

I'm not saying I could do better. But, the love fest for Romo and Young shouldn't be blown out of proportion. I don't care about Peyton Manning, but he led his team over the Texans today, with another 21 point 4th quarter comeback. Can Vince actually attain that level ? He hasn't proved it. Coach Fisher had him on the bench, until "Two Birds" Adams demanded that he return as the starting quarterback.

I'm with Thedrpepper on his winning streak. Indy could be shot down, but we'll see if the Oilers, oops I mean Titans can play with some big boys.

I never said Vince was a legend in the NFL. I titled the thread the legend of Vince Young. He acheived legendary status in college and is now making some legedary things happen in the NFL. No team has ever started 0-6 and then won 5 in a row. It has happened now. That is legendary.

Are you sure you never said Vince was a legend? Let us not forget why VY lost his job in the first place, so as dave pointed out he still has a lot to prove, but he has unlimited potential.

I was one of those that bashed VInce...I will say this...This season he is playing well and his team is winning. And he will continue to win as long as the D keeps playing like it has and johnson keeps having solid games. VY is a winner. That being said his 5 wins are against some of the weaker team in the NFL. And they have came on games where his RB had HUGE games. If Johnson had not carried such a big load VY might be 2-3 right now...Does that mean he has played bad, NO WAY. But to say he has silenced the haters is a bit premature...

He needs to make the playoffs, win a playoff game, and become a starter at the first game. Not come in when you are 0-6. He is on track but still has loads to show me before ill believe he will live up to the hype.

i can live with that. And thank you wetsu.

man i am not one of those homers that doesnt know sports or is super biased...Maybe just a little sometimes lol. I have no problem admitting other teams and other players success. I am not ignorant enough to think that only A&M players are good...lol

I hope VY does pan out because if not his dominance of the big 12 would have been for nothing lol.

Started 0-6 with Collins at qb, so I hardly think that is Vince Young's fault. Not many teams have ever made the playoffs after an 0-6 start I would bet.

your right about that...lol But dont let the turnaround make it look like VY is a 5-0 QB and Collins is a 0-6 qb. The team aas a whole has got better the last few weeks. Defense and special teams as well as the offense. Is Collins the reason they were losing, not the only reason. Is VY the reason they are winning, not the only reason. I think time will tell for VY and his true potential as a NFL qb. It might be too late for this season but we should see him ready to go for next year.