Heisman Trophy- Who ya got?

85lobo

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the award isn't the NCCA FBS MVP...its the most outstanding player, which if you ask me, that means the player that stands out the most for what he has done on the field, not for all the cool tricks he does throwing the football on boats or even charity work, but statistically the best player. Yes McCoy is undefeated, but you can thank his defense for that.McCoy on a team Put with a weak defense and they aren't undefeated. He has no control over how many points the other team puts on the board except when he throws picks or fumbles the ball.

the undefeated record should not give Colt the nod over statistically better and more consistent players like Gerhart

Put McCoy, Tebow, Gerhart, Spiller, Ingram, Keenum etc. etc etc. on a team with a weak defense and no they aren't undefeated or have nearly the same record. That doesn't hold water.

I agree that an undefeated record should not give McCoy or any other player the Heisman, but then again there is a reason the Horns are undefeated and Colt is one of if not THE major reason for it. Yes the defense is great and special teams are very good, but that's what a team the caliber of a Texas normally has. Just because Texas has a stout defense shouldn't detract from Colt and what he has done or any other player in the same situation.

CASE CLOSED.....

Staubach to vote for Texas' McCoy for Heisman

Dec. 3, 2009

CBSSports.com wire reports

AUSTIN, Texas -- Roger Staubach grabbed a football and handed it to Colt McCoy.

One of the top-rated passers in NFL history wanted to see if the college kid was as good in person as he looked on TV. McCoy rifled the ball back to him, and Staubach was impressed.

"He passed my test," Staubach said with a laugh.

And it wasn't just the arm strength. It was release. It was touch.

"He could do it all," Staubach told the Associated Press.

Three years after that first meeting, Staubach, the former Heisman Trophy winner, Super Bowl winner, Hall of Famer and all-around Texas icon has become a valuable friend, mentor and occasional golf partner for McCoy, the senior quarterback of the No. 3 Texas Longhorns.

Four decades apart in age, they seldom talk about plays, players or what things were like back in Staubach's day. Their bond is membership in the fraternity of quarterbacks who've come through under a white-hot spotlight, with similar playing styles.

For McCoy, being able to share ideas on leadership and to ask questions about what it takes to get a team to trust and follow has been invaluable. Staubach has helped keep him grounded despite his success and picked him up when things were tough -- just one quarterback to another, advice from someone who'd been there.

"He wants me to be the best I can be," McCoy told the AP. "How lucky am I to get that?"

The friendship began in 2006 after Staubach watched McCoy play on TV his freshman season. Staubach saw a young, eager kid who could throw, run and rally his team to victories.

"He told me I was the closest thing to him he had seen in a long time. He thinks I play just like him," McCoy said. "He's a stud. He's been through it all. For him to say something like that to me gives me a lot of confidence."

Struck by how McCoy handled himself on the field and in interviews, Staubach wanted to meet him. So he invited McCoy to his house in Horseshoe Bay and they started with a game of catch.

"I think he got a kick out of seeing that I could still throw a football," the 67-year-old Staubach said.

Then came a round of golf and another test, this time of McCoy's nerves.

At the first tee, Staubach said, "You're up."

"When Roger Staubach gives you honors off the first tee box, you better pipe one right down the middle," the 23-yar-old McCoy said. "I think I did."

McCoy recognizes that he's made friends with a legend of the Lone Star State. No Cowboys player is more revered than the quarterback who played in four Super Bowls with Dallas and won two. McCoy grew up in small towns in West Texas, where Staubach and his No. 12 -- the same number McCoy wears -- are hallowed.

"My dad and my granddad, they all talk about Roger Staubach. I was raised on the Cowboys," McCoy said. "I never really saw him play, but I know he was an athlete playing quarterback."

Staubach watches all of McCoy's games and e-mails notes of encouragement. He also has been a shoulder to lean on.

In 2008, McCoy was runner-up for the Heisman. Texas entered the 2009 season ranked No. 3 and expectations were high for McCoy and the team.

Although the Longhorns won, McCoy struggled. He threw interceptions. He battled the flu. Texas beat rival Oklahoma 16-13 but McCoy had one of the worst games of his career and was all but written off as a Heisman contender.

At his lowest point, McCoy asked himself, "What do I do this for? If this is my passion, why am I not having any fun?"

A conversation with Staubach helped shed his frustration.

Staubach told him to quit trying to be perfect. Focus on being a leader. As a quarterback, that is his most important job.

"We just talked basics. Sometimes you try too hard, thinking you have to do it all and you just don't. You've just got to take over when the team needs you to. So much was expected of him," Staubach said.

Others had told McCoy the same thing. But hearing it from Staubach was different, McCoy said, because as a former Cowboys quarterback, he could relate to the pressure better than anyone else.

"I think that's one of the reasons we've become so close is because we can relate to each other," McCoy said. "We were good enough to be winning. I was just putting myself in a hole and wasn't leading my team like I should. I reached out to him.

"He said, 'Have fun. Embrace the moment. Your teammates know you love to play. Make sure they can trust you,'" McCoy said. "When it comes from Roger Staubach, the original No. 12, that's when it takes over."

Re-energized, McCoy has been on a tear ever since.

Over Texas' last six games, McCoy has passed for 1,791 yards and 16 touchdowns with just two interceptions. Texas' 51-20 romp over Kansas was career win No. 43 for McCoy, setting an NCAA career record for starting quarterbacks.

In last week's 49-39 victory over Texas A&M, he passed for 304 yards and four touchdowns and ran for 165 yards, including a 65-yard touchdown. It was the first time in school history anyone passed for 300 yards and ran for 100 in a game, and the Longhorns needed every bit to hold off their rival and keep alive hopes for a national championship.

"I was a good runner, but if I had his speed I would have really been something," Staubach said.

That performance catapulted McCoy back into the front of the chase for the Heisman Trophy. The Longhorns play Nebraska on Saturday night for the Big 12 championship. If Texas wins, the Longhorns are likely headed to the BCS Championship Game.

The Heisman Trophy ballots are due next week and the ceremony is Dec. 12 in New York.

Staubach, who won the Heisman at Navy in 1963, is voting for McCoy. He rarely goes to the ceremony and will be at the Army-Navy game in Philadelphia that day, but says he'll try to jump the train to get to New York in time.

"It's a nice thing to have in your life. People come over to my house and ask if they can see the Heisman. They don't ask to see anything else," Staubach said.

"He's going to get my vote. He's epitomized leadership and winning. He's been, I think, the finest quarterback in the country."

Put McCoy, Tebow, Gerhart, Spiller, Ingram, Keenum etc. etc etc. on a team with a weak defense and no they aren't undefeated or have nearly the same record. That doesn't hold water.

I agree that an undefeated record should not give McCoy or any other player the Heisman, but then again there is a reason the Horns are undefeated and Colt is one of if not THE major reason for it. Yes the defense is great and special teams are very good, but that's what a team the caliber of a Texas normally has. Just because Texas has a stout defense shouldn't detract from Colt and what he has done or any other player in the same situation.

But people do hold it against them...There are guys that are just as big of player for their team with better stats but because they are not undefeated they are not even in the talk...

In the SEC:

Mark Ingram - and you called Tebow a system product? What is Ingram?

Dexter McCluster - 20 Career TD's; 1700 Career Rushing Yards; Tebow 2800 Career Rush; 58 Career rushing TD's + how many passing TD's

Eric Berry - 1 forced fumble and 2 INT on the year; REALLY!

Jevan Snead - 20 TD's and 17 INT's; Tebow 17 TD's 4 INT's

Brandon Spikes - Mr. Eye Goucher - SERIOUSLY??

Julio Jones - 545 Recieving Yards and 4 TD's

Elsewhere:

Colt McCoy - Only one in the same breath as Tebow

Sam Bradford - He's been out the whole season, pretty much

Gerald McCoy - 29 Tackles in 2009, and he impacts a game more than Tebow??

Jordan Shipley is to McCoy what Riley Cooper is to Tebow

Jahvid Best - less than 1,000 yards; 12 TD's

Jacquizz Rodgers - definitely a player, and should be invited to NYC

C.J. Spiller - Definite game breaker but can't compare with Tebow and McCoy when talking about impacting every game.

Dez Bryant - SERIOUSLY!! HE DID NOT PLAY THIS YEAR?!?

Zac Robinson - oooooooohhh! 15 TD's and 8 INT's; Impressive

Case Keenum - If you are talking pure stats, then this guy is in the mix

Taylor Mays - Great defensive player, but again does he impact the game as much

Jermaine Gresham - Solid numbers, but only 14 TD's

"Shall I keep going? In terms of being a "football player," Tebow doesn't measure up. His numbers this season are awful. He's a system player who is a product of being under the best coach in college football. Not saying he's not good, he's a great college player. But, that's it. He's nothing at the next level."

Yes, please keep going! I'm a stat guy. I love looking them up and comparing. The Heisman is about being a GREAT COLLEGE PLAYER, it's not about being a good pro prospect.

For the Heisman this year, Tebow shouldn't even be invited. Averaging something to the effect of 177 yards per game and less than four yards per rush.

Yeah I know his stats are poor, but I think he's averaging about 1 win per week, I'll have to check on that though. :bye:

CASE CLOSED.....

Staubach to vote for Texas' McCoy for Heisman

Dec. 3, 2009

CBSSports.com wire reports

AUSTIN, Texas -- Roger Staubach grabbed a football and handed it to Colt McCoy.

One of the top-rated passers in NFL history wanted to see if the college kid was as good in person as he looked on TV. McCoy rifled the ball back to him, and Staubach was impressed.

"He passed my test," Staubach said with a laugh.

And it wasn't just the arm strength. It was release. It was touch.

"He could do it all," Staubach told the Associated Press.

Three years after that first meeting, Staubach, the former Heisman Trophy winner, Super Bowl winner, Hall of Famer and all-around Texas icon has become a valuable friend, mentor and occasional golf partner for McCoy, the senior quarterback of the No. 3 Texas Longhorns.

Four decades apart in age, they seldom talk about plays, players or what things were like back in Staubach's day. Their bond is membership in the fraternity of quarterbacks who've come through under a white-hot spotlight, with similar playing styles.

For McCoy, being able to share ideas on leadership and to ask questions about what it takes to get a team to trust and follow has been invaluable. Staubach has helped keep him grounded despite his success and picked him up when things were tough -- just one quarterback to another, advice from someone who'd been there.

"He wants me to be the best I can be," McCoy told the AP. "How lucky am I to get that?"

The friendship began in 2006 after Staubach watched McCoy play on TV his freshman season. Staubach saw a young, eager kid who could throw, run and rally his team to victories.

"He told me I was the closest thing to him he had seen in a long time. He thinks I play just like him," McCoy said. "He's a stud. He's been through it all. For him to say something like that to me gives me a lot of confidence."

Struck by how McCoy handled himself on the field and in interviews, Staubach wanted to meet him. So he invited McCoy to his house in Horseshoe Bay and they started with a game of catch.

"I think he got a kick out of seeing that I could still throw a football," the 67-year-old Staubach said.

Then came a round of golf and another test, this time of McCoy's nerves.

At the first tee, Staubach said, "You're up."

"When Roger Staubach gives you honors off the first tee box, you better pipe one right down the middle," the 23-yar-old McCoy said. "I think I did."

McCoy recognizes that he's made friends with a legend of the Lone Star State. No Cowboys player is more revered than the quarterback who played in four Super Bowls with Dallas and won two. McCoy grew up in small towns in West Texas, where Staubach and his No. 12 -- the same number McCoy wears -- are hallowed.

"My dad and my granddad, they all talk about Roger Staubach. I was raised on the Cowboys," McCoy said. "I never really saw him play, but I know he was an athlete playing quarterback."

Staubach watches all of McCoy's games and e-mails notes of encouragement. He also has been a shoulder to lean on.

In 2008, McCoy was runner-up for the Heisman. Texas entered the 2009 season ranked No. 3 and expectations were high for McCoy and the team.

Although the Longhorns won, McCoy struggled. He threw interceptions. He battled the flu. Texas beat rival Oklahoma 16-13 but McCoy had one of the worst games of his career and was all but written off as a Heisman contender.

At his lowest point, McCoy asked himself, "What do I do this for? If this is my passion, why am I not having any fun?"

A conversation with Staubach helped shed his frustration.

Staubach told him to quit trying to be perfect. Focus on being a leader. As a quarterback, that is his most important job.

"We just talked basics. Sometimes you try too hard, thinking you have to do it all and you just don't. You've just got to take over when the team needs you to. So much was expected of him," Staubach said.

Others had told McCoy the same thing. But hearing it from Staubach was different, McCoy said, because as a former Cowboys quarterback, he could relate to the pressure better than anyone else.

"I think that's one of the reasons we've become so close is because we can relate to each other," McCoy said. "We were good enough to be winning. I was just putting myself in a hole and wasn't leading my team like I should. I reached out to him.

"He said, 'Have fun. Embrace the moment. Your teammates know you love to play. Make sure they can trust you,'" McCoy said. "When it comes from Roger Staubach, the original No. 12, that's when it takes over."

Re-energized, McCoy has been on a tear ever since.

Over Texas' last six games, McCoy has passed for 1,791 yards and 16 touchdowns with just two interceptions. Texas' 51-20 romp over Kansas was career win No. 43 for McCoy, setting an NCAA career record for starting quarterbacks.

In last week's 49-39 victory over Texas A&M, he passed for 304 yards and four touchdowns and ran for 165 yards, including a 65-yard touchdown. It was the first time in school history anyone passed for 300 yards and ran for 100 in a game, and the Longhorns needed every bit to hold off their rival and keep alive hopes for a national championship.

"I was a good runner, but if I had his speed I would have really been something," Staubach said.

That performance catapulted McCoy back into the front of the chase for the Heisman Trophy. The Longhorns play Nebraska on Saturday night for the Big 12 championship. If Texas wins, the Longhorns are likely headed to the BCS Championship Game.

The Heisman Trophy ballots are due next week and the ceremony is Dec. 12 in New York.

Staubach, who won the Heisman at Navy in 1963, is voting for McCoy. He rarely goes to the ceremony and will be at the Army-Navy game in Philadelphia that day, but says he'll try to jump the train to get to New York in time.

"It's a nice thing to have in your life. People come over to my house and ask if they can see the Heisman. They don't ask to see anything else," Staubach said.

"He's going to get my vote. He's epitomized leadership and winning. He's been, I think, the finest quarterback in the country."

I would expect a vote too if I was friends with a voter.

In the SEC:

Mark Ingram - and you called Tebow a system product? What is Ingram?

Dexter McCluster - 20 Career TD's; 1700 Career Rushing Yards; Tebow 2800 Career Rush; 58 Career rushing TD's + how many passing TD's

Eric Berry - 1 forced fumble and 2 INT on the year; REALLY!

Jevan Snead - 20 TD's and 17 INT's; Tebow 17 TD's 4 INT's

Brandon Spikes - Mr. Eye Goucher - SERIOUSLY??

Julio Jones - 545 Recieving Yards and 4 TD's

Elsewhere:

Colt McCoy - Only one in the same breath as Tebow

Sam Bradford - He's been out the whole season, pretty much

Gerald McCoy - 29 Tackles in 2009, and he impacts a game more than Tebow??

Jordan Shipley is to McCoy what Riley Cooper is to Tebow

Jahvid Best - less than 1,000 yards; 12 TD's

Jacquizz Rodgers - definitely a player, and should be invited to NYC

C.J. Spiller - Definite game breaker but can't compare with Tebow and McCoy when talking about impacting every game.

Dez Bryant - SERIOUSLY!! HE DID NOT PLAY THIS YEAR?!?

Zac Robinson - oooooooohhh! 15 TD's and 8 INT's; Impressive

Case Keenum - If you are talking pure stats, then this guy is in the mix

Taylor Mays - Great defensive player, but again does he impact the game as much

Jermaine Gresham - Solid numbers, but only 14 TD's

"Shall I keep going? In terms of being a "football player," Tebow doesn't measure up. His numbers this season are awful. He's a system player who is a product of being under the best coach in college football. Not saying he's not good, he's a great college player. But, that's it. He's nothing at the next level."

Yes, please keep going! I'm a stat guy. I love looking them up and comparing. The Heisman is about being a GREAT COLLEGE PLAYER, it's not about being a good pro prospect.

For the Heisman this year, Tebow shouldn't even be invited. Averaging something to the effect of 177 yards per game and less than four yards per rush.

Yeah I know his stats are poor, but I think he's averaging about 1 win per week, I'll have to check on that though. :bye:

In terms of being better football players, I'll put all those guys ahead of Tebow, any day. You're a numbers guy. I'm not.

If you want to ride the Jesus train, you go right ahead. I'll still give my opinion.

:bye:

My point is, just like the case with JJ at A&M, you can't say McCoy deserves the Heisman because hes team is undefeated. He only factors in on offense. Not special teams or defense. It takes an entire team to win a game. Yes he may be a great player but I think there are other QBs in the NCAA that could have an undefeated record at Texas. Just liked Bradford had an incredible supporting cast last year, Colt is in the same boat. Even as an OU fan, I thought Colt deserved the Heisman last season, but he didn't and now he will probably get it this year based on his career, what happened last year to texas, and texas' undfeated record.

I don't understand what the big deal is. Why is anyone upset with the idea of McCoy winning the Heisman? He has excellent stats, he's helped lead his team to an undefeated record, he's a gamebreaker....need I go on? I'm looking at Gerhart's numbers, and while they are great, (1700+ yards, 26 tds) they aren't eye popping. His play didn't propel the team to an unbeaten record, nor a spot in a BCS bowl game, which isn't necessarily his fault, but guys, that's how it goes. If your team doesn't go to a BCS bowl game, and you don't have unheard of stats, then you won't win the Heisman. Period. Now i'm not saying if that's right or wrong, but that's the thought process of these people that vote for the Heisman...much like the MLB. Your team better be a playoff team or have unbelievable stats for you to even think about winning the MVP.

I don't understand what the big deal is. Why is anyone upset with the idea of McCoy winning the Heisman? He has excellent stats, he's helped lead his team to an undefeated record, he's a gamebreaker....need I go on? I'm looking at Gerhart's numbers, and while they are great, (1700+ yards, 26 tds) they aren't eye popping. His play didn't propel the team to an unbeaten record, nor a spot in a BCS bowl game, which isn't necessarily his fault, but guys, that's how it goes. If your team doesn't go to a BCS bowl game, and you don't have unheard of stats, then you won't win the Heisman. Period. Now i'm not saying if that's right or wrong, but that's the thought process of these people that vote for the Heisman...much like the MLB. Your team better be a playoff team or have unbelievable stats for you to even think about winning the MVP.

Just a bunch of anti UT hatin. You make a good point, but historically you don't have to be on a championship caliber team to win the Heisman. But if you're not, you better be really, really good. Ricky Williams is a good example of this. I think he won it on a Texas team that went 7-4 that year. There are plenty of other good examples.

I think Ricky had like 2400 yds that year and 30 or so touchdowns.

I'm not a UT hater, I even said I would have given Colt the Heisman over Bradford last season, but based on stats this season..I think someone else is more deserving

for example, the guy with over 150 total yards in the 3rd quarter against Florida's #1 nationally ranked defense. I mean if you want to argue that Gerhart's stats are against cupcakes...Ingram's stats are against the best in the country.

I agree with the announcer of the UF/ALA game, the Heisman committee really wants the trophy to go to a position rather than QB this year. Ingram has looked really good, but let's face it, some of those holes his lineman are opening, I could run through. Still, Ingram has played well in a big game. We'll have to see how Colt does later tonight. Right now, I'd say Ingram has it, but I'm obviously rooting for Colt.

I agree with the announcer of the UF/ALA game, the Heisman committee really wants the trophy to go to a position rather than QB this year. Ingram has looked really good, but let's face it, some of those holes his lineman are opening, I could run through. Still, Ingram has played well in a big game. We'll have to see how Colt does later tonight. Right now, I'd say Ingram has it, but I'm obviously rooting for Colt.

I agree. I think the Heisman should go to Alabama O-Line. Now that would be crazy...