Three East Texans named 1st-Team All-Big 12

Smoaky

Texas Tech offensive lineman Brandon Carter (Spring Hill), Oklahoma offensive lineman Trent Williams (Longview), and Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon (Jasper), were all named to the All-Big 12 First-Team on Tuesday.

Texas linebacker Roddrick Muckelroy (Hallsville) was named to the second-team.

Four East Texans were named Honorable Mention, Texas cornerback Curtis Brown (Gilmer), Texas offensive lineman Michael Huey (Kilgore), Baylor wide receiver Kendall Wright (Pittsburg), and Oklahoma linebacker Keenan Clayton (Sulphur Springs).

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...TCLID=204842329

On a side note, it's hard to believe UT was the obvious dominant team in the Big 12 this season and they didn't have more 1st-Team representation.

David Smoak

Texas Tech offensive lineman Brandon Carter (Spring Hill), Oklahoma offensive lineman Trent Williams (Longview), and Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon (Jasper), were all named to the All-Big 12 First-Team on Tuesday.

Texas linebacker Roddrick Muckelroy (Hallsville) was named to the second-team.

Four East Texans were named Honorable Mention, Texas cornerback Curtis Brown (Gilmer), Texas offensive lineman Michael Huey (Kilgore), Baylor wide receiver Kendall Wright (Pittsburg), and Oklahoma linebacker Keenan Clayton (Sulphur Springs).

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...TCLID=204842329

On a side note, it's hard to believe UT was the obvious dominant team in the Big 12 this season and they didn't have more 1st-Team representation.

David Smoak

in reference to your side note...I dont believe just because your team is undefeated you should get all big 12 over someone just as good on a mediore team. These are not team awards and IMO the teams record should not be a factor in the choices at all. That players didnt win those games alone, so he shouldnt benefit alone for the teams success.

Anybody have Carters' stats. He gets alot of attention due to his looks. Is he a sure enough player or is it more about the astetics? I haven't had a chance to see TT much so ?????

BTW, Muckelroy is a 1st teamer without a doubt. Mack Brown was quoted as saying that the 2 players that would hurt the most if off would be Shipley and Muck. He is a STUD. Side note, my wife taught him in elementary school and said he was scared to respect of his Mom. Great football player and even a better person. Good job Mrs. Muck.....

in reference to your side note...I dont believe just because your team is undefeated you should get all big 12 over someone just as good on a mediore team. These are not team awards and IMO the teams record should not be a factor in the choices at all. That players didnt win those games alone, so he shouldnt benefit alone for the teams success.

In all due respect, you just don't get it, and my comment has nothing to do with UT or A&M or any other team in any division of college football.

There are a lot of Horns that at least deserved 1st team and didn't get it. Muckleroy is one and Lamar Houston is another, plus several more. Don't continue to let your disdain for Texas continue to cloud your judgement. Yes they played on the best team in the Big 12 and that's why Texas is the best team in the conference. Best players= best team in most cases.

UT's bottom line is winning the Big 12 Championship and then the national championship.

I don't think there's a bias against UT players on awards, if there was how did Mack and Colt get two of the biggest honors (which they deserved)?

But everyone has their own opinion or conspiracy theories on that topic.

Houston and Muckelroy had All-Big 12 years, but they also had tremendous competition at their positions, especially Houston at DT.

Personally, I was very surprised Muckelroy wasn't first-team.

I thought DB Aaron Williams deserved mention too, he made some of the most spectacular plays in the biggest games so that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The Big 12 was loaded this season at defensive tackle.

Almost like a year ago with QB's (Bradford, McCoy, Harrell, etc).

Someone had to be left out, and in this case it was L. Houston---who is a freakin' stud and I sure as heck wouldn't want to block that freight train.

The other scenario is like what they do in high school with an all-district team where everyone seems to make it and I think that cheapens it.

David Smoak

UT's bottom line is winning the Big 12 Championship and then the national championship.

I don't think there's a bias against UT players on awards, if there was how did Mack and Colt get two of the biggest honors (which they deserved)?

But everyone has their own opinion or conspiracy theories on that topic.

Houston and Muckelroy had All-Big 12 years, but they also had tremendous competition at their positions, especially Houston at DT.

Personally, I was very surprised Muckelroy wasn't first-team.

I thought DB Aaron Williams deserved mention too, he made some of the most spectacular plays in the biggest games so that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The Big 12 was loaded this season at defensive tackle.

Almost like a year ago with QB's (Bradford, McCoy, Harrell, etc).

Someone had to be left out, and in this case it was L. Houston---who is a freakin' stud and I sure as heck wouldn't want to block that freight train.

The other scenario is like what they do in high school with an all-district team where everyone seems to make it and I think that cheapens it.

David Smoak

That is true. Houston is a good player, but he is not as good as Suh or McCoy.

my feelings for this have nothing to do with a "longhorn Bias." I just meant that in reference to Smoaky's post that not more Texas palyers were on it i just thought that there was nobody on that list that i didnt think was deserving as much or more than any Texas palyers left off...

There are a lot of Horns that at least deserved 1st team and didn't get it. Muckleroy is one and Lamar Houston is another, plus several more. Don't continue to let your disdain for Texas continue to cloud your judgement. Yes they played on the best team in the Big 12 and that's why Texas is the best team in the conference. Best players= best team in most cases.

IM not really sure what about my statement showed a DISTAIN FOR TEXAS. I didnt direct that statement at just Texas players. I dont think that anyone on that list is a bad choice. I like Muck...Think he is highly underrated. But that doesnt mean he is the best in the conference. I wouldnt take any player over any of the ones chosen. They all earned it and to say that Texas needed more players on the list is a downgrade to the body of work the other guys that did make the list. I dont think because Texas has the best team that they have ALL the best players.

IM not really sure what about my statement showed a DISTAIN FOR TEXAS. I didnt direct that statement at just Texas players. I dont think that anyone on that list is a bad choice. I like Muck...Think he is highly underrated. But that doesnt mean he is the best in the conference. I wouldnt take any player over any of the ones chosen. They all earned it and to say that Texas needed more players on the list is a downgrade to the body of work the other guys that did make the list. I dont think because Texas has the best team that they have ALL the best players.

You should know, or you will learn--UT fans come in PACKS!

Make a comment and either the spin control or mass venom will follow.

Just kidding, maybe.

I just hope UT allows Nebraska to have enough players left for their mid-level bowl game after Saturday night.

Just kidding, actually, I'm not.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm a lifelong 'Huskers fan and I'm glad they're in the championship game but this has the makings of getting a little ugly if the 'Huskers don't get some big-time breaks.

David Smoak

^^^ The packs of Texas fans I can live with. I just fail to understand why nearly every tread someone comments on seems to taken over by Texas is better than you fans lol. But i guess i "learned my lesson." I have to admit it is kinda fun when i get bored to Rattle the cages a little though.

Congrats to those 3 East Texans who garnered 1st team All-BigXII Honors.

They are well deserved.

A couple of observances....

When you have a .500 team (Kansas State) "EARN" more 1st team recognition than an

undefeated one then this poll can't reasonably be taken seriously.

Not only that...but 3 teams (K-State,OU and OK-State) with multiple conference losses had

more 1st team award winners.

Yes...the lone undefeated team did recieve two of the Top awards for Coach of the Year

and Offensive Player of the Year.

But beyond those two awards there were only two other players off of the undefeated

team that garnered 1st team honors (not counting the O-MVP).

TWO others??

The lone undefeated team had 3 total 1st teamers (2 on offense-1 on defense).

FWIW, those 3 will probably be on some All-American award lists.

Anyway...it makes the conference look pretty silly when it comes to their collective judgement

and voices that the best team during the regular season is not recognized with more individual

plaudits.

The old adage...."To the victor go the spoils"...is definately lost on this "collective" group of coaches/SID's.

RJ

Anybody have Carters' stats. He gets alot of attention due to his looks. Is he a sure enough player or is it more about the astetics? I haven't had a chance to see TT much so ?????

BTW, Muckelroy is a 1st teamer without a doubt. Mack Brown was quoted as saying that the 2 players that would hurt the most if off would be Shipley and Muck. He is a STUD. Side note, my wife taught him in elementary school and said he was scared to respect of his Mom. Great football player and even a better person. Good job Mrs. Muck.....

I went to school with the Muckelroys and they are good people.

Donny was an excellent middle linebacker at Hallsville in the mid 70's that could have played football at the next level had anyone really looked at him closely.

The best thing Mack Brown and company ever did was pick up these kids out of East Texas because it influences kids from the area to want to go there too.

^^^ The packs of Texas fans I can live with. I just fail to understand why nearly every tread someone comments on seems to taken over by Texas is better than you fans lol. But i guess i "learned my lesson." I have to admit it is kinda fun when i get bored to Rattle the cages a little though.

This list is about like your post. It doesn't carry much weight in my book. I haven't seen any post in this thread that implied Texas needed more first teamers strictly because "We're Texas". How can Muckelroy not be a first teamer? He missed a game and some of another and still led the best defense in the conference in tackles. That is a joke!!!! He and Lamar Houston were the two catalysts on the defense. I can take Kindle not being first team because he didn't have the output that others did, but his presence was always noted and usually drew a double team.

Texas didn't deserve more first teamers just because you have an inferior complex, but because they had a better team and the individual players are what made that team better.

If I had to pick the Texas first teamers they would've been: Colt McCoy, Jordan Shipley, Lamar Houston, Earl Thomas and Rod Muckelroy. That was all that deserved it from the Texas team. a lot of them should've been in the second team and Honorable Mention.

Like I said your post was noted and found to be precisely dumb. Quit hating on Texas You almost did it, but almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

David Smoak

David....

Is that really that hard for you to believe ??

Not me.

Thanks to the Snyder family tree (Snyder,Mangino,Stoops,Leach).

Their influence is glaringly obvious.

This award poll really bears that point.

It's undeniable.

Oh, they didn't all get together to vote BUT they will vote

with a "like mind"...with an anti-UT bias...no doubt about that.

They'll all be loving the $$$$$ UT will bring them (IF) they get

to the BCS Championship game.... as well.

THAT you can be sure of.

RJ

David....

Is that really that hard for you to believe ??

Not me.

Thanks to the Snyder family tree (Snyder,Mangino,Stoops,Leach).

Their influence is glaringly obvious.

This award poll really bears that point.

It's undeniable.

Oh, they didn't all get together to vote BUT they will vote

with a "like mind"...with an anti-UT bias...no doubt about that.

They'll all be loving the $$$$$ UT will bring them (IF) they get

to the BCS Championship game.... as well.

THAT you can be sure of.

RJ

You nailed it with the family coaching tree RJ. When these awards on voted on by those that have no bias, Texas will have plenty more on 1t and 2nd team. With all due respect to my Sooner friends, yes Houston did have a better year than McCoy.

Based on this voting Mack Brown and one hell of a coach. He had inferior players and dominated the conference. On the other hand Stoops, Mangino, Leach and Snyder ought to be fired when they sport 7-5 or 6-6 records with greater talent than Texas.

With all due respect to my Sooner friends, yes Houston did have a better year than McCoy.

Maybe by stats, but as Texas fans say that Kindle's stats are down because he get the attention from the opposing offense, the same principle is true for McCoy.

He is double teamed pretty much every play, but yet almost everytime the defense has a big play he is there.

Houston deserved 1st team over all the D-linemen on that list except Suh and McCoy.

I understand individual honors above team record in the All-Conference selections, but how does Kansas State have 4 on the 1st team offense with a 4-4 conference record? At some point a coach has to draw the line. Seems like Snyder would be embarrassed that he had 4 kids on the first team offense and ended up 4-4 in conference and 6-6 on the year.

I understand individual honors above team record in the All-Conference selections, but how does Kansas State have 4 on the 1st team offense with a 4-4 conference record? At some point a coach has to draw the line. Seems like Snyder would be embarrassed that he had 4 kids on the first team offense and ended up 4-4 in conference and 6-6 on the year.

I really dont think you can count the amount of players from a certain team and compare it to their record. After looking at it i understand what you mean by saying KSU is weird to have that many on the list. But when i look at their players i dont see one that is a bad pick. That goes with every team that has someone on there. I will agree that Houston was first team caliber but i think he is only the third best DT. Behind only Suh and Mccoy. Im not saying that the logic behind Texas having more than KSU or anyone else. What i simply ment was when you look at the list other than maybe Houston and Muck i dont see anyone i would put on that list over any of the ones on there. It has nothing to do with a dislike for Texas. I just think that the players chosen were good enough to be on there. Nobody is a bad pick IMO.

When it comes to looking at a team versus the individual talent you have to look at the sum of the whole for success. I still think that Muck should have received 1st Team and probably Houston as well but for argument sake I can understand how a few talented players (that get awards) on a team can be beaten by a whole team of players that do not get the accolades.

When it comes to looking at a team versus the individual talent you have to look at the sum of the whole for success. I still think that Muck should have received 1st Team and probably Houston as well but for argument sake I can understand how a few talented players (that get awards) on a team can be beaten by a whole team of players that do not get the accolades.

My point exactly. I think the Texas defense was great this season. But when a unit is very good it can take away from the spotlight of a special player on that D. The guys from KSU and other places were standout players on a mediocre team so they got lots of attention. The whole Texas team was standout so less attention is given towards individuals.

I really dont think you can count the amount of players from a certain team and compare it to their record. After looking at it i understand what you mean by saying KSU is weird to have that many on the list. But when i look at their players i dont see one that is a bad pick. That goes with every team that has someone on there. I will agree that Houston was first team caliber but i think he is only the third best DT. Behind only Suh and Mccoy. Im not saying that the logic behind Texas having more than KSU or anyone else. What i simply ment was when you look at the list other than maybe Houston and Muck i dont see anyone i would put on that list over any of the ones on there. It has nothing to do with a dislike for Texas. I just think that the players chosen were good enough to be on there. Nobody is a bad pick IMO.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. You can take the names and schools out of it for all I care. My point is if my team finishes 4-4 in conference, any kid that I nominate for 1st team will have some really fantastic stats that will be head and shoulders above everyone else. Much like Von Miller of A&M. I've been involved in many All-District football and baseball selections over the years, and I can tell you there is always some politics involved. The ONLY time there was not was years ago at an All-District selection in the Central Texas 5A districts. Coach Basher (sp?) of Round Rock Westwood asked that we try voting out loud that year so there would be no surprises that you get with anonymous voting. We all agreed, and it was the best 1st & 2nd Teams we could have come up with without exception. Funny thing is I've suggested the same thing many times over the years, and not one time has it happened again. Wonder why? :thumbdown: