Texas 13 Nebraska 12

BeatNavy

Texas had a chance to put this game away in the mid-4th Q on the long pass to Kirkendoll. Great pump fake by McCoy; good route execution by Kirkendoll; perfect pass from McCoy; Kirkendoll drops it.That was big; I noticed that Colt never went back to Kirkendoll. It was all Shipley and Williams after that. Not good. Would have made the score 17-6 or 17-9 (can't remember).

Just read, would have been a 75 yard TD and made the game 17-6.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas had a chance to put this game away in the mid-4th Q on the long pass to Kirkendoll. Great pump fake by McCoy; good route execution by Kirkendoll; perfect pass from McCoy; Kirkendoll drops it.That was big; I noticed that Colt never went back to Kirkendoll. It was all Shipley and Williams after that. Not good. Would have made the score 17-6 or 17-9 (can't remember).

That play was huge! Since the haters want to harp on the ifs, if Kirkendoll catches that it is game over.

If we want to relive all of the possible replay issues, how about the muffed kickoff return by Goodwin where the ref ruled him down even though he didn't even have the ball. Why was that play not reviewed?

Play was dead when the whistle blue. Where were you going to put the ball? Football does not have do overs. Bad whistle, but what you going to do.

The Texas defense deserves the Heisman. Given the field position, they gave up the minimum points..

We do need to work of kick coverage. Once a strength is now a weakness. Let Muschamp motivate those boys.

Play was dead when the whistle blue. Where were you going to put the ball? Football does not have do overs. Bad whistle, but what you going to do.

The Texas defense deserves the Heisman. Given the field position, they gave up the minimum points..

We do need to work of kick coverage. Once a strength is now a weakness. Let Muschamp motivate those boys.

yeah arenas is going to have a feild day if we dont work on kick coverage....

Texas clock management on last 3 plays almost made LSU's look well thought out.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. The 2 situations were very similar. Texas gets lucky and LSU looks stupid.......just goes to show how seconds and inches can add up.....isn't that a speech from some movie?

That's true. My point is that you always remember the bad calls that go against you, but forget the bad calls that work in your favor.

That's true. My point is that you always remember the bad calls that go against you, but forget the bad calls that work in your favor.

I can remember two bad calls: calling Goodwin down when he did not have possession of the ball and the pass interference call when Williams was out of bounds and Colt was just throwing the ball away. Other than that I thought the officials did a great job and used instant replay to fix a few mistakes.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. The 2 situations were very similar. Texas gets lucky and LSU looks stupid.......just goes to show how seconds and inches can add up.....isn't that a speech from some movie?

Just goes to show you some of the best coaches (UT & LSU) have brain #### every once in a while. Both seemed like they were afraid they were going to make the wrong call, so they didn't do anything.

Texas shouldn't have gotten a 'second' chance

by Don Borst, FOXSports.com

Updated: December 6, 2009, 1:30 PM EST

The voters should do what the Big 12 game officials didn't have the guts to do.

That is, put Texas Christian (or Cincinnati, for that matter) into the BCS national championship game.

It's too bad it won't happen. The referees have an excuse: They work for the Big 12 Conference, which desperately needed Texas to avoid an upset by Nebraska.

The voters have no excuse. They still get to choose among undefeated teams to put in the national championship game against Alabama. But chances are, they will choose Texas.

Four times over the years, the Big 12 has screwed itself out of the national title game with a huge upset in the conference championship game. They weren't going to allow that to happen again, no matter how dominant Ndamukong Suh was for Nebraska.

Look, I don't hate the Longhorns. And I don't root for TCU, or Cincinnati ... or Nebraska. I don't hate the BCS, and I don't necessarily even crave a playoff tournament.

But that ending of the Big 12 championship game was just wrong.

Here's exactly what happened: There were 24 incomplete passes in the Texas-Nebraska game. On every one of them — every single one (I know, I went back and checked in slow motion) — the game clock ticked off that second, and sometimes another. That's how it always works in this and every other game: There's a bit of a human element (the eye sending the message to the brain, the brain relaying it to the finger on the clock button, the electronic impulses prompting the clock to stop).

And so, when Colt McCoy inexplicably decided to run a play with six seconds remaining instead of calling timeout or, well, showing any sense of urgency, he rolled out and threw the ball away, way out of bounds, as the clock ticked down to 0:00.

Nebraska rushed the field, Bo Pellini's team seemingly in possession of a sensational 12-10 triumph.

But since Texas coach Mack Brown wanted a second placed back on the clock, and because the Big 12 wanted to have a second placed back on the clock, and because all of the six major BCS conferences HAD TO HAVE a second placed back on the clock, and because the referees figured they might never have a chance to work for the league ever again if they do this wrong ... that's how it went.

So, unlike every other similar play in the game, the officials overruled the clock and put 0:01 back up on the scoreboard, and Texas ran the field goal team out there and Hunter Lawrence kicked it through.

So, since the refs felt the need to overrule the clock, the voters can always overrule the game officials. It ain't right: Texas has no business being in the title game.

Nebraska should have went for the first down on 3rd and 6 on their last drive instead of just trying to get a yard or so up the middle and kicking the field goal. If they would have got the first down they could have run the clock down and kicked the field goal to win. However, they played it too safe ad got beat!

That is, put Texas Christian (or Cincinnati, for that matter) into the BCS national championship game.

It's too bad it won't happen. The referees have an excuse: They work for the Big 12 Conference, which desperately needed Texas to avoid an upset by Nebraska.

The voters have no excuse. They still get to choose among undefeated teams to put in the national championship game against Alabama. But chances are, they will choose Texas.

Four times over the years, the Big 12 has screwed itself out of the national title game with a huge upset in the conference championship game. They weren't going to allow that to happen again, no matter how dominant Ndamukong Suh was for Nebraska.

Look, I don't hate the Longhorns. And I don't root for TCU, or Cincinnati ... or Nebraska. I don't hate the BCS, and I don't necessarily even crave a playoff tournament.

Here's exactly what happened: There were 24 incomplete passes in the Texas-Nebraska game. On every one of them — every single one (I know, I went back and checked in slow motion) — the game clock ticked off that second, and sometimes another. That's how it always works in this and every other game: There's a bit of a human element (the eye sending the message to the brain, the brain relaying it to the finger on the clock button, the electronic impulses prompting the clock to stop).

And so, when Colt McCoy inexplicably decided to run a play with six seconds remaining instead of calling timeout or, well, showing any sense of urgency, he rolled out and threw the ball away, way out of bounds, as the clock ticked down to 0:00.

Nebraska rushed the field, Bo Pellini's team seemingly in possession of a sensational 12-10 triumph.

But since Texas coach Mack Brown wanted a second placed back on the clock, and because the Big 12 wanted to have a second placed back on the clock, and because all of the six major BCS conferences HAD TO HAVE a second placed back on the clock, and because the referees figured they might never have a chance to work for the league ever again if they do this wrong ... that's how it went.

So, unlike every other similar play in the game, the officials overruled the clock and put 0:01 back up on the scoreboard, and Texas ran the field goal team out there and Hunter Lawrence kicked it through.

So, since the refs felt the need to overrule the clock, the voters can always overrule the game officials. It ain't right: Texas has no business being in the title game.

If Don Borst didn't see Colt McCoy's pass bounce on the ground out of bounds with one second on the clock on the replay, he is either blind, delusional, or stupid. McCoy was lucky he didn't run the clock out on the play, but the officials got the call right.

I was at the game, there were mistakes by both teams and it just made the game interesting. Texas didnt look good but Nebraskas defence #93 could not be blocked. I thought if Texas would have just gone to the zone read from the get-go they would have faired better, but oh well. Both teams had breaks and chances...turned out Texas just got one more than Nebraska....

I will say this about the last play...i was watchin the video board and the play and the side judge on both sides signaled play stop at exactly :01....matter of fact Nebraska stormed the field and both side judges and the back judge were rushing at the Nebraska players immediately to get off the field.

Cowboys stadium is wicked kewl, but the audio is terrible just terrible, and the play clocks are where you have to actually look up as QB on the field to see them....Oh and getting in the gates was terrible!! No bad seat in the house!

Anyway enjoyed watchin a Nebraska fan get his tail whipped in the parking lot...He decided to throw beer on any vehicle that had TU fans in it as they were leaving the parking lot....haha...Texas boys will stop and get out and whip your #### fo sho...I think he learned a valuable lesson!..lol

Another TEXAS hater. What he says doesn't matter. Yet another jealous big mouth and what's more, HE'S WRONG. HOOK'EM HORNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitting here watching the replay of the game on ESPN Instant Classic. Makes me kinda glad I missed the game and went to the Lobo game.

Hearing Brent Musberger simply makes me want to puke. There is no other announcer on the planet that would like Texas to lose more than him. I hate the guy. Only thing worse would be to have that cheating sorry SOB Barry Switzer in the booth.

Just got here due to fighting the flu. But I was conscience enough to see the last few minutes of the game Saturday night. God must wear "Orange" pajamas to bed. Otherwise, the Horns lose that game.

Talk about an ending of "You take it ... no, you take it ... NO, YOU TAKE IT!!!!" .........

(1) The Huskers had that one won!!! PERIOD!! All the kicker had to do was kick the ball down the middle of the field to the endzone. The coverage team had done a good job on containing the Texas return game. But noooooo .. he kicks it out of bounds??? Instead of the 20 .. no, I'll give the returner an extra 5 yards to the 25 ... the Horns get the ball at the 40 yard line. THAT DIFFERENCE ...... that's all Texas needed to really believe that they'd get that field goal.

At the 25 or so yardline, I believe that the Huskers would have contained UT's "O". But at the 40 ... I think that gave the Horns the opportunity to move the distance needed for their GOOD fieldgoal kicker ... and he came through big time ... 46 yards!!! Remember, the officials had to add a second back to the clock for the game winning FG to be kicked. I think that 15 yards was worth that much time. Let's put it this was .... how much time does it take to go 15 yards? Longer than 1 second.

(2) Last time I checked, if a defender is close enough to "horse-collar" tackle a receiver ... he's close enough to dive at the receiver's legs and arm tackle him. That was a HUGE "15-yard" penalty. Come to think of it, that would be the second "15-yard" difference maker in that final drive to save Texas' season and trip to the BIG ONE!!!

(3) I was talking to someone today about the "too efficient" pass rush on Colt McCoy on the last play. If the "D" lineman had been just a second slower, the game would have been over. He forced McCoy to throw away the ball a second quicker. Talk about one of the biggest "snafu's" in college football history that would have been. Has Colt EVER looked at the wrong clock at the end of a game on a winning drive? I don't remember reading/hearing about it, if he has. Amazing ... just amazing. Lot of important "seconds" floating around in a game that is 60 minutes long.

Give the Horns credit for taking advantage of an opportunity when they got it. But folks .... they've got to play a whole lot better if they plan on beating Alabama for the crystal football .... a whole lot better.

And a "Burnt Orange Merry Christmas" to you all ... and to all, a good night.

It is the pace of the game. How many times have you seen the referees spot the ball quicker and blow the ball live when a team is in their "hurry up" offense? It happens all of the time. There would be a lot of games where the outcome would have been different had the referees played the game the same throughout.

Guest jeffjam

So whats Macks excuse for Colts poor performance this week? And if he says the flu again, I think they may need to get that boy a physical. :smirk:

So whats Macks excuse for Colts poor performance this week? And if he says the flu again, I think they may need to get that boy a physical. :smirk:

So whats your excuse for the fact that Mack hasnt made any excuses?