Fivehead's Rules for When to Cry

Fivehead

After viewing the pitiful display that a weeping Tim Tebow put on after he lost last night, I set about compiling a list of occasions when it is acceptable for a man to cry. It didn't take long. Here it is.

1. A member of your immediate family dies.

2. You suffer an injury, at minimum a compound fracture of the Joe Theismann variety.

3. Brian's Song.

That's it. If you cry at any other time, you might as well run down to the store for some feminine protection. You're going to need it.

Guest surfsup

My personal rule was that it was never ok to cry after a loss, but permissible only after a significant win. Super Bowl, State Championship, Olympic Gold Medal.

It is also permissible after 8 beers.

brian's song?? naw, you lose your man card just for that.

It's not the movie itself, it's how you relate to it. I lost one of my childhood best friends to leukemia 7 years ago. He lived a very healthy lifestyle. That's what gets you choked up. You remember all the times you went fishing, played sports together, girls you fought over (and that makes you laugh), all the forts you built, and that you won't be able to talk to them for a very long time. As for "Where the Red Fern Grows" and "Old Yeller", the same situation applies. Your dog is your best friend, when your other best friend isn't around. Most of us that are getting older have had friends and pets pass away.

I don't know why anyone would cry after winning anything. I'm sorry the Dick Vermeils of the world don't cut it for me. Loosing only makes me mad, and want to come back better.

I don't have a problem with weeping when it comes to asking for forgiveness from God, because you're truly sorry for it.

So with number one I think you have to include your close friends, because when a blood brother goes, a part of you goes with them. I bet most of the kids today would be afraid to be a blood brother with someone.

I guess I must be a few days older than you guys. My first and possibly only movie that met the criteria which allows man tears was "Love Story" with Ali McGraw and Ryan O'neal. A few unexpected tears appeared at the birth of my first grand child and then at the birth of my first great grandson. Those tears caught me totally by surprise. Someone mentioned tears after eight beers. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. If your pants are wet, it wasn't tears that did it.

Ted

"Love Story"

I sob at the fact that Love Story was allowed to be released with such a lame line like, "love means never having to say you are sorry" :pinch:

... but then I laugh aloud when I hear the same line in What's Up, Doc?.

After viewing the pitiful display that a weeping Tim Tebow put on after he lost last night, I set about compiling a list of occasions when it is acceptable for a man to cry. It didn't take long. Here it is.

2. You suffer an injury, at minimum a compound fracture of the Joe Theismann variety.

3. Brian's Song.

That's it. If you cry at any other time, you might as well run down to the store for some feminine protection. You're going to need it.

That's why I change channels at the end of "Pride of the Yankees". I just don't feel comfortable borrowing products from my daughter.

3. Brian's Song.

Evidently it meant a lot to Tebow.............when some one puts their heart and soul into something and it goes south its not easy to handle......Most every year I see players at the state tournament @ Austin lose on a last second shot and they are spread out on the floor squalling....makes me want to get down there with them.....Watching Around The Horn today on sports center and a couple announcers were making fun of Tebow. Easy to do sitting behind a desk. Tebow for president!..............Colmesneilfan, I feel your pain on the Oilers...lol

IMHO - Since Tebow (and McCoy) are two of the classiest, CHRISTIAN, young men that I have seen play college ball on the big stage in a very long time...if they want to cry after pouring their hearts and souls into something, then all of you GROWN men who want to make fun of them, just go ahead if it TRULY makes you feel better - I don't think that they care what you think....