Vondrell McGee

Why isn't he seeing any playing time? Is he still injured? He is suited out on the sidelines but hasn't played much since the UTEP game when he was injured.

He got a couple of plays in a few games ago, but other than that I'm not sure he is even seeing the field. I haven't been able to figure out the RB's at Texas all year, of course neither has Greg Davis.

McGee is an I-back playing in a spread offense under an offensive coordinator who has no clue how to establish a ground game. I'm not sure why any running back would want to play there under the current system. Just my two cents.

I agree 100%...But really for any running back or even QB IMO who is serious about playing at the next level going to play at a system like Texas runs would be abad choice. Its a whole different world when you get to the NFL and have to snaps from under center and read coverages on a 5 step drop. We will see if COlt can handle it. As for the RBs i dont know what to tell them. I was shocked to see Traylon Shead go there. He runs that style of system in HIgh school, but Texas already has more RB than they can use. He will be lucky to see 8 carries a game even if he starts his frosh year on the two deep.

OK Homers! Tre Newton has produced and can block. McGee cannot block, so guess what, he does not play in the Texas offense. He has not even been on the 3 deep depth chart the last four games, although he has mopped up some. It appears the Horns made a decision to get on with it and it ended up being Newton, Johnson and Fozzi. Unfortunately for McGee, everyone comes back next year. McGee is a good backup for now. He runs extremely hard but never saw an O lineman whose butt he did not want to run up. I would guess however, he will get some time against Bama. RBs will get a pounding against that defense if the Horns decide to run the ball a bit. Fresh backs will help.

OK Homers! Tre Newton has produced and can block. McGee cannot block, so guess what, he does not play in the Texas offense. He has not even been on the 3 deep depth chart the last four games, although he has mopped up some. It appears the Horns made a decision to get on with it and it ended up being Newton, Johnson and Fozzi. Unfortunately for McGee, everyone comes back next year. McGee is a good backup for now. He runs extremely hard but never saw an O lineman whose butt he did not want to run up. I would guess however, he will get some time against Bama. RBs will get a pounding against that defense if the Horns decide to run the ball a bit. Fresh backs will help.

You do realize that Texas has one of the WORST run blocking offensive lines in the NCAA....right? :icon_neutral: O-linemen get their butt run up when they haven't opened up a hole and are in the dang way. Blockers are taught from pee-wee league that if they don't want to get run over, they had better handle the man in front of them and move someone out of their guys lane. Vondrell is used to playing in the power I and running behind a line who is fierce, nasty, and intimidating at the line of scrimmage. Not so much at UT these days. Interesting how the National media hasnt' picked up on how soft, cuddly, and "friendly" the UT line is. :sleeping: Should be fun against Bama!

You do realize that Texas has one of the WORST run blocking offensive lines in the NCAA....right? :icon_neutral: O-linemen get their butt run up when they haven't opened up a hole and are in the dang way. Blockers are taught from pee-wee league that if they don't want to get run over, they had better handle the man in front of them and move someone out of their guys lane. Vondrell is used to playing in the power I and running behind a line who is fierce, nasty, and intimidating at the line of scrimmage. Not so much at UT these days. Interesting how the National media hasnt' picked up on how soft, cuddly, and "friendly" the UT line is. :sleeping: Should be fun against Bama!

In a zone blocking scheme the running back picks a hole and hits it. there have been holes for Vondrell, but he usually has his head down or his eyes closed and hits the linemen. This is evident when he does in fact hit a hole it is such a suprise to him that he is almost already falling down and usually doesn't get many yards on the run. he had a good game against UTEP when they named Newton the starter. Vondrell was fired up and played better than any game he has had at Texas. His vision is what hurts him as he can never find the hole in the zone blocking scheme and never sees the cutback lanes.

The reason Newton has been the starter has already been stated. he is better in the blocking game, picking up blitzes and has better vision and speed. Fozzy wants to outrun everybody to the sideline. Mcgee can't find a hole and misses blitz pickups. Cody Johnson is a short yardage back and is good at what he does. he is the perfect mixup with Newton.

The reason Newton has been the starter has already been stated. he is better in the blocking game, picking up blitzes and has better vision and speed. Fozzy wants to outrun everybody to the sideline. Mcgee can't find a hole and misses blitz pickups. Cody Johnson is a short yardage back and is good at what he does. he is the perfect mixup with Newton.

I agree 100%. Newton is their best all around back. He can block, catch passes and pick holes to run through from the zone read better than any of their other backs. Whittaker is their next best back on 1st and 2nd downs. Johnson is their best short yardage back. McGee is the odd man out in my opinion.

It is so frustrating watch them "try" to run the ball. I know Tre missed a few blocks that led to sacks and hurries, but the same could be said about the entire O-line. No excuse for not giving Cody Johnson at least a few carries. I am an admitted homer for Vondrell. I hate to see what will happen to him next year when Whaley gets a shot.

But it so much fun watching that D fly to the ball!

If a RB misses a block here and there I think its ok. Last time I checked their position is called Running Back. I agree that the O-line is not very consistant from week to week, however they dont run the ball because they have one of the better WR corps in the country and one of the best QB's in the country. As far as Greg Davis is concerned the only opinion I bet he cares about is that of Mack Brown since he makes the decision to keep him or not. I love that people ar so quick to try and coach behind a message board. The job is a lot harder than it looks.

Texas has 3 running plays -- zone read, counter and QB draw. McGee has struggled with both the zone and the counter plays because he has no patience. He does not let the play develop and he's poor at finding the holes. Maybe poor vision, maybe he's just not suited to this offense. To say a Texas back can't excel at the next level apparently has not heard of Jamal Charles, who did quite well in the spread and has had some nice games with the KC Chiefs. Selvin Young for a little while did pretty well at Denver. I'll be the first to say I'm greatly disappointed in the Texas O-Line and if it does not improve between now and the bowl game, Bammer will hammer us. I like the way Newton has played and I never thought he'd see as much action as he has.

I don't think Texas has three offensive plays. Greg Davis is an embarrassment. The personel changes and the defensive schemes change but he runs the same ####. I am seriously going to send some plays to his email address. There is this running play called the sweep and a throwing play called the slant ,of course you have to be able to take a snap under center but maybe they could work on snaps in the next 30 days. I'm still dumbfounded that he didn't expect Nebraska to run the same scheme as OU or if he did he didn't prepare for it. If Texas loses the NCG it will not be lack of offensive talent or the defense it will strictly be offensive game planning. Fire that tard and let Applewhite have a shot. You always hear people saying what a brilliant offensive mind davis has he may have developed alzheimer's. I'm just saying.

^^^I agree...I think Texas has the talent to really run any scheme they want but Davis chooses to be extremely one dimensional. I dont even think the type of passes he calls are much different. Its like a high school coach that has found about 6 plays that work and runs the same ones over and over. Thats great when it cannot be stopped but when you get to a defense that is semi decent and can stop it it makes or big trouble. It better fix because i think bama can stop it.

Now as to say that Texas running backs cannot be successful in the NFL i i do not think thats all true. They can be successful. I just think that this system the run doesnt give them the looks by pro scouts that other systems could.

Its odd that a freshman got the start over 3 soph's in a game that you knew was going to be physical. Is Newton better than Cody Johnson? How much $$$ did Big Nate donate to the program to get Tre in there?

Greg Davis does less with more talent than any other OC in the country.

Tre Newton and Cody Jonhnson are the best two backs Texas has. They both do well running the ball between tackles. the only thing that separates them is that Newton has the break away speed that Johnson doesn't have.

There is a Texas fan over on Texags that made a stunning comparison and it made complete sense to me.

Texas no longer runs any semblance of a pro-style offense. They are the new Texas Tech. Their short passing game (which explains a lot about McCoy's ridiculously high completion percentage) IS their run game. They throw those quick passes to the backs and receivers in exchange for running the football.

It should be noted that the only real success Texas has had with the ground game in Greg Davis' tenure is when (A) they had two of the best backs in state history in Williams and Benson OR (B) when the quarterbacks were very mobile and could run for more yards in any given game than the running backs. To be a successful running back in the Greg Davis offense you have to pretty much be a top 5 NFL draft pick, otherwise you'll play second fiddle to the quarterback.

There is a reason that despite being able to recruit year in and year out the best players in the country at almost every position that Texas can't recruit the most highly coveted running backs. They are unable to really get a ground game going without the absolute best running backs in the country.

There is a Texas fan over on Texags that made a stunning comparison and it made complete sense to me.

Texas no longer runs any semblance of a pro-style offense. They are the new Texas Tech. Their short passing game (which explains a lot about McCoy's ridiculously high completion percentage) IS their run game. They throw those quick passes to the backs and receivers in exchange for running the football.

It should be noted that the only real success Texas has had with the ground game in Greg Davis' tenure is when (A) they had two of the best backs in state history in Williams and Benson OR (B) when the quarterbacks were very mobile and could run for more yards in any given game than the running backs. To be a successful running back in the Greg Davis offense you have to pretty much be a top 5 NFL draft pick, otherwise you'll play second fiddle to the quarterback.

There is a reason that despite being able to recruit year in and year out the best players in the country at almost every position that Texas can't recruit the most highly coveted running backs. They are unable to really get a ground game going without the absolute best running backs in the country.

i agree...Colts stats are just as much "system stats" as any other pass happy offense.

i agree...Colts stats are just as much "system stats" as any other pass happy offense.

I'd hardly call Texas the new Texas Tech. We don't throw the ball nearly as often as Tech, so there goes that theory. You should really stay off of TexAgs, its a dangerous place. Its where minds go to rot. :rolleyes:

The Horns better figure out how to run it against Bama. I don't expect BAMA to do any thingdifferent than Nebraska or OU. Their D Line is capable of dominating; they will flood the short pass lanes with LBs and DBs (Texas substitution for a running game); and dare Colt to beat them deep.

It is so frustrating watch them "try" to run the ball. I know Tre missed a few blocks that led to sacks and hurries, but the same could be said about the entire O-line. No excuse for not giving Cody Johnson at least a few carries. I am an admitted homer for Vondrell. I hate to see what will happen to him next year when Whaley gets a shot.

But it so much fun watching that D fly to the ball!

Can Vondrell Catch the football? Maybe he should try a different position. Texas needs catchers.

The Horns better figure out how to run it against Bama. I don't expect BAMA to do any thingdifferent than Nebraska or OU. Their D Line is capable of dominating; they will flood the short pass lanes with LBs and DBs (Texas substitution for a running game); and dare Colt to beat them deep.

Agree. They have to make an attempt to run the ball. And have receivers hold on to the ball when its thrown to them.

They have 1 month to prepare.

I like their chances against Bama's D over Bama's O against the Horns D.