LONGVIEW

castaway2002

I betcha I can guess who holds a thumb up, and who does the Lufkin "L" just from the posts here....

I go thumbs up just to letcha know :thumbsup: .....

some of you need to relax and let the coaches do their job.... if you can do better, get your butt on the field and do it.... but dont talk to me until you can go 68-11 at a top notch 4A school....

"Lufkin L"...not sure what that means..I do know what 'Thumbs Up' means...did u earn yours or did u just inherit it..do u actually know where it began... just wondering...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thumbs up here as well.

I do not like the Lufkin L, but i guess its better than nothing. Just like to know how thumps up fell in popularity to the L sign.

As far as coaches, I have a son in 8th, and I so hope he gets staff that is here now. I here all the negative as well, but what a record this staff has accumulated! I know fans so want a title, but it is so difficult to come by, but I think this staff gives us best shot!

Believe it or not, alot of people do the L instead of the thumbs up because they simply like it more. :icon_confused: Not trying to be like Lufkin, Lee, Louisiana, or any other place that may do it. I do it during other parts of the game, and even away from the field when I'm simply representing Longview.

Thumbs up here as well.

I do not like the Lufkin L, but i guess its better than nothing. Just like to know how thumps up fell in popularity to the L sign.

As far as coaches, I have a son in 8th, and I so hope he gets staff that is here now. I here all the negative as well, but what a record this staff has accumulated! I know fans so want a title, but it is so difficult to come by, but I think this staff gives us best shot!

Actually, Longview Lobo students have been raising the Longview "L" for many, many years.. "Thumbs Up" was introduced by the staff of Clint Humphreys, particularly Coach Doug Cox. It was meant as a symbol of unity, team first concept and was something that Lobo Football Players earned the right to display..it caught on with the fans over the years and thus somewhat displaced the symbol of what former Lobo students and fans had previously known..both have a GREAT place in Longview lore and heritage..so Lobos raise your hands high...regardless of your choice..."L" or "Thumbs Up"

I was a transplant to Lobo Football, and did not go to School at Longview, but I remember when I first started attending games in the 70's, 'thumbs up' seemed to be prevalent. I agree main thing is that fans do one or the other, instead of nothing. I've got vivid memories of the entire crowd rising as one with a thumb lifted in the air on crucial 3rd down plays on either side of the ball. I would love to see that again!

"Lufkin L"...not sure what that means..I do know what 'Thumbs Up' means...did u earn yours or did u just inherit it..do u actually know where it began... just wondering...

graduate, so yes I know what to do, hence why I do :thumbsup: ... thanks for asking....

Is that comment directed at me? Just want to clarify before I make an inaccurate assumption and say anthing further. A simple yes or no will suffice.

directed at anyone who has not personally talked to King in person about their issue...I had a minor problem with him and spoke to the man personally...

Now who actually made you King here anyway? I mean come on man really? What makes your opinion so supreme? This boards about voicing opinions and to debate various topics. So if some of us don't agree with you or others were wrong or in your words pathetic. Well whats really pathetic is how you and others always seem to want too say what's relavant. Just for emphasis sake I'm not speaking poorly of our coaches. Thier records speak for themselves, but im not so blind that I can't see where there's room for improvements . And as fans and supporters its our right to say our peace. Who really wears the Green Colored Glasses?

not the King...far from it...there are so many people on here who have more knowledge about the Lobos than I do...voice your opinions and debate all you want...simple debate is not an issue...candid, debatable input is wanted...I too have talked about improvements - with great frustration - even too the point many have told me to relax...

BUT...

some people attack the man personally behind a screen and never talk to him in person or volunteer via the booster club or with the athletic dept...all they do is ###### and moan on a board...unless I am wrong, I have never seen you personally attack him...

...pure attacks on the coaching staff that are personal is down right wrong...and that is just my opinion...

not the King...far from it...there are so many people on here who have more knowledge about the Lobos than I do...voice your opinions and debate all you want...simple debate is not an issue...candid, debatable input is wanted...I too have talked about improvements - with great frustration - even too the point many have told me to relax...

BUT...

some people attack the man personally behind a screen and never talk to him in person or volunteer via the booster club or with the athletic dept...all they do is ###### and moan on a board...unless I am wrong, I have never seen you personally attack him...

...pure attacks on the coaching staff that are personal is down right wrong...and that is just my opinion...

No I haven't and I wont. He's a standup guy and has coached my brother and relatives. I like them hold him in high regards. I'm not a moaner! I will say what i think about games and the what if's. They could have done this or that, just like others. The only coach left from my time is Wilson and he's been a great friend and mentor and has known my family for years. I know the challenges the Coaches face so im not going to say things against them in a derogatory manner, on here or any where else.

I've done both thumbs up and the L, but usually I go with thumbs up, even though the UT fan in me tells me it's wrong.

I really don't know when the tumbs up started, but in the early 70's it was always the L. The 1973 annual has a hand with the "L" on the cover. I have been going to the games since the 60's, earlier really, but don't remember much about it. I guess either is okay, but the L has been around for a long, long time. Just need everybody to show the spirit somehow. I guess this really shows my age.

I really don't know when the tumbs up started, but in the early 70's it was always the L. The 1973 annual has a hand with the "L" on the cover. I have been going to the games since the 60's, earlier really, but don't remember much about it. I guess either is okay, but the L has been around for a long, long time. Just need everybody to show the spirit somehow. I guess this really shows my age.

My dad graduated in 70, and he always does :thumbsup: . So I have always just mimicked him. You're right, it doesn't matter which one you do, it only matters that you do it. Go Lobos!

After the Lobos handle Guyer I would just like to see our cornerbacks pressing THOSE LAKE TRAVIS Recievers.........PLEASE GIVE OUR BOYS THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN, Last year they never adjusted and we saw Gilbert Dominate our Team......but I do believe we are better in the secondary this year.

I assume you are talking about last years state game? If so, your statements and "football" knowledge are absolutely LAUGHABLE along with 0405 or anybody else that thinks that game was "lost" by L/V's secondary.... The "all-state decade" secondary couldn't have covered those receivers for that long - Gilbert had all day to scan/throw or run - it was really what ever he wanted. That game was ABSOLUTELY DOMINATED by LT at the line of scrimmage on BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL. Gilbert hit the ground one time - before the game when he was stretching!! All day, the zone read was open and if you were at the game, every play started out the same exact way - shotgun with the zone read either hand off/qb run/or pass - every single play. They were also WAY MORE PHYSICAL than L/V - this REALLY surprised me. I figured LT was a very well-coached, smart ballclub that would fold like a two dollar lawn chair the first time a LV kid lit them up and talked noise. Unfortunately for the LV faithful, the opposite happened (#6 was the most physical player I saw all year)- if you want to put that on the LV coaching staff? go for it....

One final point.... For the coach King haters.... How many players off of last years team that was "so talented" did I get to watch on TV on saturday afternoons this year? How many will I see next year on saturday afternoon's on TV?

I think Castaway2002, STATE0405, and LoboPride98 need to point their respective right index fingers up and their three other fingers down with their respective thumbs out to the left and place their respective hands on their foreheads. If you need me to explain what this means...I'll be easy to spot at the game. I'll be sitting, standing, clapping, cheering, smiling, laughing, angry and happy depending on what's going on during the game. I'm not anonymous either...Let's talk football!

So let me get this straight. Because you played Lobo HIGH SCHOOL football you are an expert at the position you played while you were there? While these coaches who have been doing it for years and prob have some experience in college, should take advice from you?

I think Longview will make this years championship game much more interesting. LT is very good again but the Lobos have seen it now and will be very prepared. It will be a great game no matter what. Not that I should be predicting who will be there but, I think that is who it will be.

I think Castaway2002, STATE0405, and LoboPride98 need to point their respective right index fingers up and their three other fingers down with their respective thumbs out to the left and place their respective hands on their foreheads. If you need me to explain what this means...I'll be easy to spot at the game. I'll be sitting, standing, clapping, cheering, smiling, laughing, angry and happy depending on what's going on during the game. I'm not anonymous either...Let's talk football!

Easy there partner...I haven't mentioned you or your name and don't really see any need for you to be calling me out over something as trivial as what hand gesture I use during the game. Throw up your gig' em if you want to, no reason to get burned up by what the other guy does. And I again welcome anyone who wants to "discuss" the game with me to come pay me a visit. 5:45 at the bottom of the bleachers talking with our opponent.

So let me get this straight. Because you played Lobo HIGH SCHOOL football you are an expert at the position you played while you were there? While these coaches who have been doing it for years and prob have some experience in college, should take advice from you?

Please tell me this statement is not directed at me. Its getting a little silly having to keep trying to explain to fellow "Lobo fans" what my stance is on issues. Put a name on your statement and stop throwing out slugs that may partain to various different posters.