Is football the only sport that matters at your school?

theguyinstripes

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How football being top draw hurts basketball somehow is a mystery to me. And why is that such a "sad" thing? It makes you sad that more people go to football games than basketball?

As far as your comparing the size of gyms to the size of football stadiums and using that to measure the importance of the sport is not valid. I am pretty sure that at Duke, North Carolina, Indiana, etc... where basketball is no doubt king their football stadium is four or five times bigger than the basketball arena.

and regarding the original question, I am equally unsure how lifting hurts anyone or other sports? As if somehow getting stronger only benefits the football program.

The 1950's have come and gone. The silly notion that somehow lifting hurts your shot in basketball or your pitching arm in baseball are as extinct as the dodo bird. Lifting benefits EVERYONE!!!!

I agree with that statement bigger and faster does help in all areas or sports. Yet if your a true basketball player you have 9 months out of the year to lift and run. Those 3 months during basketball should be dedicated to basketball.

What are the drawbacks of lifting and running to any sport? The top athletes in all sports lift and run. Tiger woods. The Williams sisters. Big Poppy. Here locally, 1st round draft pick Slade Heathcott was a weightlifting fool, I see state champion tennis player Grant Adams at Minton's Sportsplex at 6 am almost everyday working out with his dad. Athletic period is one hr (more like 40 min) each day. This is just my opinion and will prolly make some people mad, but the kids who do not want to lift and run and then go practice are either lazy and don't really want to work at being the best they can, or athletics just isn't that important to them. You will get out of it what you put into it. Educate yourself on all the facets of weigh training before passing judgement on a program.

Football has 2 a days.basketball starts with about 2 days of practice for the kids who plays football. It take stime to get your shot back. A football coach forcing kids to lift when they have to get in basketball shape, learn inbounds plays ,pressbreak,offense,defense,and drible shoot etc., etc is completely selfish. What if football coaches had to put in offense , defense and special teams in 2 days and the basketball coach wanted to make " better athletes" during their season. Coaches are interested in their sport , their career, and their interests first. Don't sugarcoat it with lame excuses. I like weights for all sports-year round .I just don't like people forcefeeding their agenda down other programs and calling it "fair for all". just be honest. Just say I am the AD , I will make my program first for my career and team .

How football being top draw hurts basketball somehow is a mystery to me. And why is that such a "sad" thing? It makes you sad that more people go to football games than basketball?

No....I think it's sad how a football team....win or lose can have the FULL support of a community and another atheltic program in the SAME school can have exponentially more sucess than the football team and get little to no support from the community.

Even the SMALLEST football crowds I've seen at ANY 13-4A game is 3-4 times larger than the LARGEST basketball crowds I've ever seen. It's even smaller for soccer.

I just dont see how a community can see 7-8,000 show up weekly for a home game and be lucky to have 200 show up for a soccer game.

And how is comapring gym size to football stadium size NOT valid??? It just FURTHER shows that more emphasis is on football than basketball, even at schools with non-football histories! Just because UNC, Duke, etc are basketball schools it doesn't mean they dont' EXPECT to win in football. The emphasis on football is still there....I assure you. No school is going to settle for 20,000 seat football stadium. Not when they have to keep up with the Jones around them, EVEN IF THEY AREN"T ANY GOOD at football.

No....I think it's sad how a football team....win or lose can have the FULL support of a community and another atheltic program in the SAME school can have exponentially more sucess than the football team and get little to no support from the community.

Even the SMALLEST football crowds I've seen at ANY 13-4A game is 3-4 times larger than the LARGEST basketball crowds I've ever seen. It's even smaller for soccer.

I just dont see how a community can see 7-8,000 show up weekly for a home game and be lucky to have 200 show up for a soccer game.

And how is comapring gym size to football stadium size NOT valid??? It just FURTHER shows that more emphasis is on football than basketball, even at schools with non-football histories! Just because UNC, Duke, etc are basketball schools it doesn't mean they dont' EXPECT to win in football. The emphasis on football is still there....I assure you. No school is going to settle for 20,000 seat football stadium. Not when they have to keep up with the Jones around them, EVEN IF THEY AREN"T ANY GOOD at football.

Good post! Totally agree. I think it all matters if another team is doing well. Usually they have to get to the playoffs, win a few games before they get the attention they deserve.

Most of the crowd support has to do with the # of students participating in the game,from players to the dance team.

And they are just more entertaining. I have been to the state championships of almost every high school sport and the only thing that even compares to the atmosphere or entertainment of a typical Friday night football game is the state track meet. A great crowd and a new state champ every few minutes.

I can't answer your question then. I just know that personally I would rather watch an 0-10 team play football than a 25-0 state champion team play soccer. I would rather have my teeth pulled than watch that game.

I can't answer your question then. I just know that personally I would rather watch an 0-10 team play football than a 25-0 state champion team play soccer. I would rather have my teeth pulled than watch that game.

I can respect that.

I prefer football over soccer too 10 out of 10 times. But I enjoy soccer as well. I'd rather sit in a warm gym for a basketball game in Feb than a cold football stadium for a soccer game.

But opinions and preferences don't make arguments valid. The question was... is more emphasis put on football than other sports. And SADLY..... the answer is YES.

An 0-10 football over a 25-0 soccer? Wow. The offseason must be excruciatingly long for you unless you like basketball or baseball.

I agree with that statement bigger and faster does help in all areas or sports. Yet if your a true basketball player you have 9 months out of the year to lift and run. Those 3 months during basketball should be dedicated to basketball.

Why someone would play only basketball I haven't a clue........but if that were the case then they don't have only 3 months to dedicate to hoops......they have all year.

Heck.....even MJ played a lil "stand around". :coolball:

I see the entire point of this thread as being does your school allow all your sports to succeed.

At Carthage their AD gives each sport every opportunity to succeed. He lets each head coach handle their own athletic period. The head coach then does what he/she sees fit.

The recent results show that what Coach Surratt allows works.

Football is still king, yet every other sport and athlete feels equally important, and Carthage wins.

You can't use a cookie cutter and say that every school should do it just this way....no two schools are alike. All schools have different kids in different situations and what works well for one may be a disaster for another.....

I like the way that we do it...weights and conditioning during the athletic period and specific sports practices after school.....that works well for us....it may not for others.....

I see the entire point of this thread as being does your school allow all your sports to succeed.

At Carthage their AD gives each sport every opportunity to succeed. He lets each head coach handle their own athletic period. The head coach then does what he/she sees fit.

The recent results show that what Coach Surratt allows works.

Football is still king, yet every other sport and athlete feels equally important, and Carthage wins.

I agree that thats the way it should be. I have seen sevral good coaches that go to schools with the thought that they were the head basketball or baseball coach. Then the AD/ Head football coach comes in and says everyone is lifting weights during the athletic period. However during football they watched tape and do drills. So you obviously see where I am coming from.

Tell that to Rick Barnes at Texas, or any other Division 1 Basketball Coach. If you do things that way, you will be at your weakest when? During the end of the season, which at most places is also the most important. How does that make sense to even the most diehard basketball fan?

just my opinion, but i think that if soccer was moved one month later, the attendance and participation would increase quite a bit just because of the cold. this would help especially during district for some schools. ive seen and participated in district soccer games where the attendance is 0 (not including myself when watching) because of the weather. having games in feburary, march, and mid-may would help this sport out alot, and maybe even help out some in getting more schools to participate, to where they would finally have a 3A division.

Tell that to Rick Barnes at Texas, or any other Division 1 Basketball Coach. If you do things that way, you will be at your weakest when? During the end of the season, which at most places is also the most important. How does that make sense to even the most diehard basketball fan?

Rick Barnes is not a high school coach. He doesn't have to share his athletes and he gets to decide how, when and what they practice. They don't have an "athletics period" in college where Mack Brown gets to tell Barnes how his kids should lift.

Rick Barnes is not a high school coach. He doesn't have to share his athletes and he gets to decide how, when and what they practice. They don't have an "athletics period" in college where Mack Brown gets to tell Barnes how his kids should lift.

You couldn't have missed the point more if you had ducked. The guy said that you shouldn't lift and only focus on Basketball for the entire season. That's what I was referring too. Nothing will change the way people like you think though.

UOS is a disguised attempt by HFC/AD's to further their own programs and resumes.......UNLESS, they treat it exactly the same YEAR ROUND. If the starting pitcher has to lift on Monday before a Tuesday district ball game, then the quarterback should have to lift on Thursday before a Friday ball game.

Too many times, HFC/AD's preach bigger,faster, stronger..."help all programs", etc.....but amazingly, that becomes so important from November to May. August through the last FB playoff game, UOS is suddenly not all that important.

Every BB, Bsb, Soccer, SB coach in the state could accept UOS as long as it is applied evenly throughout the ENTIRE school year. They may not like it, but they could accept it.

UOS is a disguised attempt by HFC/AD's to further their own programs and resumes.......UNLESS, they treat it exactly the same YEAR ROUND. If the starting pitcher has to lift on Monday before a Tuesday district ball game, then the quarterback should have to lift on Thursday before a Friday ball game.

Too many times, HFC/AD's preach bigger,faster, stronger..."help all programs", etc.....but amazingly, that becomes so important from November to May. August through the last FB playoff game, UOS is suddenly not all that important.

Every BB, Bsb, Soccer, SB coach in the state could accept UOS as long as it is applied evenly throughout the ENTIRE school year. They may not like it, but they could accept it.

I think that sums up the problem. If the other sports do a universal off season and begin their practices after school, then it should be obvious that football should do the same. Of course, the problem then becomes that 8 hour rule which would be extremely hard to follow without the athletic period's time used for film study, etc. I can see that in the cases in which the in season sport's coach does not lift or condition enough the AD might have to step in....but that is probably easily remedied.

And that's the problem I have with the UOS. They preach it like they are the only ones who think it. I have yet to see people who are against UOS EVER say that they don't think their kids should lift. What makes the AD so much smarter than the rest of the coaches?

I like the way the people of Carthage say that their system works....and how many football games in a row have they won? Why was the baseball team still playing after the school year was over?

Why was the baseball team still playing after the school year was over?

Same reason they do almost every year. Great feeder program. Alot of those kids have hitting or pitching coaches that they work with year round......last time I checked it was all after school....and after practice.