La Grange Vs. Carthage

Nellie,

Good post and example of gracious winner. I have to give props to your defense. You do have athletes over there, but alot of teams have athletes, but your coaches definetely do a good job scheming. It wasn't as simple as getting #9 the ball as stated earlier. If we put 2 receivers out, ya'll put three out to cover. If LG put 3, Carthage would have four defending. That should have dictated that LG run the ball, which they attempted to do (successfully on the first drive) but the Carthage DL took control after that. When your offense started putting points on the board, LG could no longer be patient and had to try to run the verticle passing game, which takes time in the pocket. Your DL never gave him the time to throw until it was in the 4th quarter. I had said earlier that alot of teams shake their head and wonder how LG beat them because they just don't have the big/athletic looking players...and I'm sure you were thinking the same thing before the game. That "heart" was what made the score closer than what the game actually was when LG was able to score at the end.

Your offense is a no-nonsense, low-risk, time consuming offense, which will take the wind out of defense. On your first drive, LG really got the best of Carthage. A fake punt, the assistance of a couple of personal foul face mask penalties, and the QB not being "on", led me to believe that LG might be able to play with Carthage. And then when LG drove to within the 20, I thought that it was going to be a typical LG game that would go back and fourth. Wrong. I think it must have been Carthage taking LG a little lightly and turned it up a notch. Only problem with LG is that they really didn't have another notch to move up.

As far the player that gave the cheap shots, I never saw it, but I'm not going to say it didn't happen. There's always seems to be one that can't control himself. I did see on 2-3 occasions that a Carthage player, both on offense and defense, would issue a blindside shot on an unsuspecting LG player, as the whistle blew. If it was for getting back at a player that you mentioned earlier, then I'll give it a pass. He deserved it. Again, that's one or two players and but I thought it was uncalled for.

On a final note, it takes more than good athletes to win. The offensive and defensive scheme that Carthage has calls for discipline and execution. Kudos to your players and for your coaches for providing the avenue for such discipline. I was impressed with the graciousness of your players after the victory.

For LG, you have nothing to be ashamed of. There is no way that anyone thought that you should have made it this far. I think it's funny that other teams in your district still won't give you props for going as far as you did. "They were lucky to even be in the playoffs." and "They didn't play anybody good in the playoffs." Well, if it were that easy, why didn't they do it? I got news for you. LG has the spirit and desire that many towns don't. I laughed when I would hear 40 something year olds singing their school song at the top of their lungs. Football is a way of life in LG, and I, a non-LG grad, was grateful to be a part of it for awhile. I've got to get me one of those propane tanks!

If you didn't hear, a drunk driver hit one of our chartered "fan" buses on the way home Saturday night. It hit it on the side, spun the bus around, which caused it to hit the front of another one of our buses. From what I heard, all walked away without injury. I've not heard anything otherwise. It did cause many to get home in the early morning hours. Band buses actually pulled over and shared their bus until another could get there. I'm glad all were safe.

Good luck Bulldogs!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nellie,

Good post and example of gracious winner. I have to give props to your defense. You do have athletes over there, but alot of teams have athletes, but your coaches definetely do a good job scheming. It wasn't as simple as getting #9 the ball as stated earlier. If we put 2 receivers out, ya'll put three out to cover. If LG put 3, Carthage would have four defending. That should have dictated that LG run the ball, which they attempted to do (successfully on the first drive) but the Carthage DL took control after that. When your offense started putting points on the board, LG could no longer be patient and had to try to run the verticle passing game, which takes time in the pocket. Your DL never gave him the time to throw until it was in the 4th quarter. I had said earlier that alot of teams shake their head and wonder how LG beat them because they just don't have the big/athletic looking players...and I'm sure you were thinking the same thing before the game. That "heart" was what made the score closer than what the game actually was when LG was able to score at the end.

Your offense is a no-nonsense, low-risk, time consuming offense, which will take the wind out of defense. On your first drive, LG really got the best of Carthage. A fake punt, the assistance of a couple of personal foul face mask penalties, and the QB not being "on", led me to believe that LG might be able to play with Carthage. And then when LG drove to within the 20, I thought that it was going to be a typical LG game that would go back and fourth. Wrong. I think it must have been Carthage taking LG a little lightly and turned it up a notch. Only problem with LG is that they really didn't have another notch to move up.

As far the player that gave the cheap shots, I never saw it, but I'm not going to say it didn't happen. There's always seems to be one that can't control himself. I did see on 2-3 occasions that a Carthage player, both on offense and defense, would issue a blindside shot on an unsuspecting LG player, as the whistle blew. If it was for getting back at a player that you mentioned earlier, then I'll give it a pass. He deserved it. Again, that's one or two players and but I thought it was uncalled for.

On a final note, it takes more than good athletes to win. The offensive and defensive scheme that Carthage has calls for discipline and execution. Kudos to your players and for your coaches for providing the avenue for such discipline. I was impressed with the graciousness of your players after the victory.

For LG, you have nothing to be ashamed of. There is no way that anyone thought that you should have made it this far. I think it's funny that other teams in your district still won't give you props for going as far as you did. "They were lucky to even be in the playoffs." and "They didn't play anybody good in the playoffs." Well, if it were that easy, why didn't they do it? I got news for you. LG has the spirit and desire that many towns don't. I laughed when I would hear 40 something year olds singing their school song at the top of their lungs. Football is a way of life in LG, and I, a non-LG grad, was grateful to be a part of it for awhile. I've got to get me one of those propane tanks!

If you didn't hear, a drunk driver hit one of our chartered "fan" buses on the way home Saturday night. It hit it on the side, spun the bus around, which caused it to hit the front of another one of our buses. From what I heard, all walked away without injury. I've not heard anything otherwise. It did cause many to get home in the early morning hours. Band buses actually pulled over and shared their bus until another could get there. I'm glad all were safe.

Good luck Bulldogs!

If Giddings is giving you a hard time about your playoff run, just dismiss it as sour grapes...a first round loss to a 5-5 team will cause you to cry like that...especially when you think your team is a contender.

Nellie,

Good luck Bulldogs!

Well said, a very knowledgeable post from someone who must really know what he is talking about. You sumed it up on La Grange football and the community. I have a Freshmen son who was able to practice and suit up for the playoffs, this should be great motivation for the young Leps to take it to the next step. I look forward to the next 3 years.

Nellie,

Good luck Bulldogs!

Well said! Nice post!

Nellie,

Good luck Bulldogs!

Thanks! We look forward to competing again next year with you guys! BTW, our coach always puts in substitutes in the second halves of games that we are comfortably leading at halftime in. Only we couldn't do it with you guys until we got 27-0. Our starters only played the first half of the entire regular seasons' games unless they started to come back too much on our second string and they had to go back in.

Nellie,

Good luck Bulldogs!

Thanks, 36ph, great summary... Hate to hear about the bus thing...sending up a prayer of thanks for noninjury. I pray for safe travel for both teams and fans before every game.

And, yeah gotta get me one of those propane shakers! :notworthy:

Thanks! We look forward to competing again next year with you guys! BTW, our coach always puts in substitutes in the second halves of games that we are comfortably leading at halftime in. Only we couldn't do it with you guys until we got 27-0. Our starters only played the first half of the entire regular seasons' games unless they started to come back too much on our second string and they had to go back in.

Not quite all of the regular season games - don't forget Henderson and Jacksonville. (That does seem like a long time ago, doesn't it?)

Lorena Leopards ranked # 4 in the state to start the basketball season.....

heybigdaddy, great start to the bb season...one more week of football, then Christmas vacation, then the Dawgs breakout the round basketballs...see ya later and good luck for the rest of your athletic events this season.

(didn't mean for that to get ## signs. :blush: )