La Grange Vs. Carthage

Courtesy of statesman.com even though the defensive stat are misleading.

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Football preview: La Grange vs. Carthage

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

QUARTERBACK

La Grange's Josh Schneider has thrown for 3,773 yards and 36 touchdowns this season. A defensive back on last year's state title team, Carthage's Anthony Morgan set the school record for touchdown passes in his first season at quarterback.

EDGE: Even

OTHER OFFENSE

Brandon Wilkerson has caught 93 passes — 24 for touchdowns — for La Grange. Teammate Corbin McHazlett has a team-high 94 receptions. With 841 yards receiving and 13 touchdowns, Carthage wideout Jalen Claiborne is 110 yards and two touchdown catches away from two single-season school records that were set in 1991.

EDGE: La Grange

DEFENSE

La Grange shut out Devine two weeks ago, then allowed at least 27 points in each of its other playoff games. Carthage opened the playoffs with a shutout, but the Bulldogs have allowed an average of 29.3 points in their past three games.

SPECIAL TEAMS

La Grange has missed seven extra-point kicks in the postseason, but kicker Jacob Henderson did convert two short field goals last week against Sinton. Gary Nutt, who plays offense and defense, returned the opening kickoff of Carthage's regional playoff game against Caldwell for a touchdown.

EDGE: Carthage

INTANGIBLES

A win would put La Grange in its third state title game this decade. At 27 games, Carthage's winning streak is the second-longest active streak in the state.

OUR PICKS

Rick Cantu: Carthage

Danny Davis: Carthage

This is stupid, Carthage is definately better defenseively and our offense isn't one dimensional.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Courtesy of statesman.com even though the defensive stat are misleading.

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Football preview: La Grange vs. Carthage

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

QUARTERBACK

La Grange's Josh Schneider has thrown for 3,773 yards and 36 touchdowns this season. A defensive back on last year's state title team, Carthage's Anthony Morgan set the school record for touchdown passes in his first season at quarterback.

OTHER OFFENSE

Brandon Wilkerson has caught 93 passes — 24 for touchdowns — for La Grange. Teammate Corbin McHazlett has a team-high 94 receptions. With 841 yards receiving and 13 touchdowns, Carthage wideout Jalen Claiborne is 110 yards and two touchdown catches away from two single-season school records that were set in 1991.

EDGE: La Grange

DEFENSE

La Grange shut out Devine two weeks ago, then allowed at least 27 points in each of its other playoff games. Carthage opened the playoffs with a shutout, but the Bulldogs have allowed an average of 29.3 points in their past three games.

SPECIAL TEAMS

La Grange has missed seven extra-point kicks in the postseason, but kicker Jacob Henderson did convert two short field goals last week against Sinton. Gary Nutt, who plays offense and defense, returned the opening kickoff of Carthage's regional playoff game against Caldwell for a touchdown.

INTANGIBLES

A win would put La Grange in its third state title game this decade. At 27 games, Carthage's winning streak is the second-longest active streak in the state.

OUR PICKS

Rick Cantu: Carthage

Danny Davis: Carthage

i agree with nellied......you left off a lot of key players including our brick wall of a D Line (DeShun Williams who got defensive player of the week and Tre'Kevian Mckee). Our boys aren't going down without a fight so no matter what the statistics say, it's gonna be who wants it bad enough and our dawgs are hungry for some leopards.

i agree with nellied......you left off a lot of key players including our brick wall of a D Line (DeShun Williams who got defensive player of the week and Tre'Kevian Mckee). Our boys aren't going down without a fight so no matter what the statistics say, it's gonna be who wants it bad enough and our dawgs are hungry for some leopards.

LOL, thx 2010...I left them off bc I'd basically have to start naming the whole D line and O line(don't forget Kyle Deaton, E. Pope, Lovis Hall, Cutter Clinton, Cortlyn Ware, Fabian Ewins...just to name a few more-- the list goes on and on!) We have a great team...yes a few key players, but they are so good at playing as a TEAM that many times you can't single out those who make great plays. LET'S GO DAWGS! Kick a few more kitties this week!

I promise you La Grange will not score more than 21 against Carthage, and theres no way La Grange will hold Carthage to under 30.
Thats funny we will score 30 to 35 points on ya.Our offense has been unstoppable all year long and in the playoffs:We are the best team ya will play in the playoffs up to date.good luck to both teams:i have no predictions like ya do thinking ahead,wel bringing to the field see ya there.

Thats funny we will score 30 to 35 points on ya.Our offense has been unstoppable all year long and in the playoffs:We are the best team ya will play in the playoffs up to date.good luck to both teams:i have no predictions like ya do thinking ahead,wel bringing to the field see ya there.

Gonna need more than 30-35 points to beat us, bro. I doubt a pass happy offense like La Grange is going to eat the clock like Lorena, so I'm thinking Dawgs should be in the high 40's at least. You think you've played some good teams, but I don't think you've seen an offense that's as balanced as Carthage all season. Leopard D better lace up their cleats...

Go Dawgs!

Gonna need more than 30-35 points to beat us, bro. I doubt a pass happy offense like La Grange is going to eat the clock like Lorena, so I'm thinking Dawgs should be in the high 40's at least. You think you've played some good teams, but I don't think you've seen an offense that's as balanced as Carthage all season. Leopard D better lace up their cleats...

Go Dawgs!

And i dont think ya have seen a passing attack like ours in the playoffs yet:not menton we also run the ball,in the playoffs we r rushing close to a 150 yards a game,u put the passing in there with it:whr hard to beat:ya might be able to pass but ya wont be able to run the ball we have stoped the run all year long.

And i dont think ya have seen a passing attack like ours in the playoffs yet:not menton we also run the ball,in the playoffs we r rushing close to a 150 yards a game,u put the passing in there with it:whr hard to beat:ya might be able to pass but ya wont be able to run the ball we have stoped the run all year long.

Well, I guess we don't stop the run? Please, you may have stopped other rushing attacks, but that by no means gaurantees you will stop the Dawgs. We got some Horses up front.

Well, I guess we don't stop the run? Please, you may have stopped other rushing attacks, but that by no means gaurantees you will stop the Dawgs. We got some Horses up front.
Size really dont matter to La grange:Every single team we have played all year have been bigger than us:i do expect a close game:the point spreads aint but 4 to 7 points so anything can happen.

I would be willing to bet we will try to stop your running game and make you pass the ball more than you want, make you beat us with the pass. If we cannot stop your running game, it will be hard for us to win. If our QB does not get any pressure, he will pick you apart. Will Carthage cover #9 Wilkerson man to man or will they double team him, no one has been able to cover him man to man all year just curious if you think you have someone that can cover him.

Size really dont matter to La grange:Every single team we have played all year have been bigger than us:i do expect a close game:the point spreads aint but 4 to 7 points so anything can happen.

Were not just big, were fas,t and nasty in the trenches. Carthage will hang more points on you than any team youve played. Keep in mind every turn over you make is already 7 more points for the Dawgs, whether its a fumble, interception, or turn over on downs.

If you take the field with the Dawgs you better have your chin strap on!

Like I said earlier you might wanna GOOGLE us!

I would be willing to bet we will try to stop your running game and make you pass the ball more than you want, make you beat us with the pass. If we cannot stop your running game, it will be hard for us to win. If our QB does not get any pressure, he will pick you apart. Will Carthage cover #9 Wilkerson man to man or will they double team him, no one has been able to cover him man to man all year just curious if you think you have someone that can cover him.

We throw excellent! Plenty of time for our QB and he's had two games with 0 incompletions.

Im sure there will probably be help either over the top or some how.

Did you see the offensive line of Carthage yet on film?????? Celina said the same things you are. The offensive line stopped their D-1 linebacker that was so good from shinning. Now, the offensive line is seniors........now, I promise you haven't seen an offensive line like this one all year long. Gilmer played them last year, ask them. I believe Carthage will win this if only by 3. Don't really know what LaGrange has, because students get on here and say how good they are and what they've done. You say nobody has stopped ya'll all year, but you do have 2 loses. So somebody stopped ya. You will have to play a lot better than Mexia, who in my opinion is the best team that we've faced in 3A playoffs this year. I don't think you will

Were not just big, were fas,t and nasty in the trenches. Carthage will hang more points on you than any team youve played. Keep in mind every turn over you make is already 7 more points for the Dawgs, whether its a fumble, interception, or turn over on downs.

If you take the field with the Dawgs you better have your chin strap on!

Like I said earlier you might wanna GOOGLE us!

I will say that you are very confident with your team, maybe border line cocky. If La Grange was to somehow beat your Dawgs will you be man enough to come back on here and give credit where credit is due or will you come on here with nothing but excuses. Sometimes people let their month overload their butt, LG will come to play their best game and if that is not good enough to win we will not have any excuses. Good Luck and Go Leps.

I will say that you are very confident with your team, maybe border line cocky. If La Grange was to somehow beat your Dawgs will you be man enough to come back on here and give credit where credit is due or will you come on here with nothing but excuses. Sometimes people let their month overload their butt, LG will come to play their best game and if that is not good enough to win we will not have any excuses. Good Luck and Go Leps.
Sure will. But will you?Dawgs roll again!

We've have gotten asked that in several different forms and fashions over the last 14+ weeks. It's usually the other team that doesn't come back and give the DAWGS credit where it is due....nothing but smack talk or excuses, if they come back. Dogs win........

<br />bunch of high school games already played there.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

There were 4 high school games played there on Labor Day. At least a couple of the teams involved were from outside Texas (e.g., California).

Ya'lls offense has been unstoppable because yall haven't played a team that plays physical East Texas football yet. The only ways ya'll will score 30 to 35 points us if its on our 2nd team defense. Granted your passing numbers are good, but I'm sure that if we threw the ball everytime we touched it, our Passing numbers would be through the roof. And I've seen your defense on film and ya'll are small in size (not bashing your players) but Saturday night you will see our offensive line and realize what I'm talking about. They are big, mean ,physical and they dominate defensive lines especially undersized defensive lines.