2010 White Bass

catahoula

Well, 'The Run' is about 2.5 months away, is anyone thinking about this yet? it's a bit early but never too early to get ready to catch some fish. Since last year I have bought a boat and have been trying to learn how to fish Lake Palestine. headsRtails has taught me so much about freshwater fishing and introduced me to "hunting Hybrids" which is a lot of fun. Just wish I had more time to do that.

Speaking of headsRtails, he's out on the Neches right now scouting and checking things out. He said his portable graph is marking a bunch of fish which he thinks is Crappie, so he's going to throw some jigs and see if he can't get a couple.

Last season on the river seemed to be pretty spotty at best with some days going out and catching a few fish and other days going out and getting nothing. The water was really low and I think that had a factor to do with it. It looks like this year will have plenty of water in the river so hopefull we'll have a banner year. I've caught quite a few White Bass on the main lake since getting my boat so I know there are plenty of them. This year I want to still try and achieve my 100 fish in one day goal (C&R obviously) since I never was able to have a day better than the limit last year.

Cat.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL @ High Rollin 8's post! The whites sure are fun to catch though.

HRT said the river looked surprisingly claen when he went out there last month, it seems something or someone get rid of a lot of the trash that was up ther elast year. I've got my eye on the 31 bridge just waiting for it to start, I'll let yall know as soon as I see some activity. I'm intending to go test the waters on or about Jan 23 and Jan 30 just to see. Last year HRT said they started early.

I've parked the boat for the winter since each morning I get up wanting to go fishing and I look at the temperature and just get back in bed....

By the way, I caught a 25' Hybrid last month on 12/15 in Lake Palestine, sure was fun!

Later.

HRT said the river looked surprisingly claen when he went out there last month, it seems something or someone get rid of a lot of the trash that was up ther elast year. I've got my eye on the 31 bridge just waiting for it to start, I'll let yall know as soon as I see some activity. I'm intending to go test the waters on or about Jan 23 and Jan 30 just to see. Last year HRT said they started early.

I've parked the boat for the winter since each morning I get up wanting to go fishing and I look at the temperature and just get back in bed....

By the way, I caught a 25' Hybrid last month on 12/15 in Lake Palestine, sure was fun!

Later.

25 feet. I bet it was exciting. Sorry, I could not pass that one up. LOL A 25 inch one can give a pretty good tug. Good luck this year.

LOL @ Myself!!!! Yeah, that would be a world record in any category.... it was 25" (I made a type o)

When do you thing they will start showing up in the rivers around here? I heard from a pretty reliable source that it may happen as early as the end of this month.

Oh yeah, I went out on teh lake saturday and the surface water temps at mid-lake were 49 degrees, the weather this week should push them down another degree or two. How long do yall think it will take them to rise up to 60? I've heard they are following the moon pattern more than the water temps and the water temps simply initiates the spawn. Anyone know about this?

headsRtails, where you at?

LOL @ Myself!!!! Yeah, that would be a world record in any category.... it was 25" (I made a type o)

When do you thing they will start showing up in the rivers around here? I heard from a pretty reliable source that it may happen as early as the end of this month.

Oh yeah, I went out on teh lake saturday and the surface water temps at mid-lake were 49 degrees, the weather this week should push them down another degree or two. How long do yall think it will take them to rise up to 60? I've heard they are following the moon pattern more than the water temps and the water temps simply initiates the spawn. Anyone know about this?

headsRtails, where you at?

I have caught them on the Angelina in late January. Feb. and March seem to be the best fishing though.

Later.

I'm glad that was a typo Cat,i thought i was gonna have to tell the story @ how i caught a 16 lb. Bluegill on a 1 lb. cricket again!

HeadsRtails is heading down to the river this afternoon to check things out. I'll let yall know what he says about it. I'm really chomping at the bit to get some river action. Tonight I'm going to get my river tackle all situated and get the rod re-strung and all .

I went to the river last night with headsRtails, nothing happening yet. There were a couple other people there and a couple of small crappie caught by some of them.

Hopefully it will be soon. Should be in the next couple of weeks, I'm ready!!!

Cat

Hmm, I was looking at Academy in Tyler today, they have plenty in stock right now. Wal Mart has them also. FYI

I have always used either white or chartuese and occasionally yellow bodies. Jig heads in the same colors and sometimes red too. I'm thinking of adding some different colors or combination colors this year. Not sure that it really matters but it will make my tackle tray look cool... Also I've always just used plain jig heads and this year I might get me a few road runners with the spinner on them just to try out. I'm usually a cheap no frills fisherman on the river but this year I want to get all fancy and stuff.... HAHA

Hmm, I was looking at Academy in Tyler today, they have plenty in stock right now. Wal Mart has them also. FYI

I have always used either white or chartuese and occasionally yellow bodies. Jig heads in the same colors and sometimes red too. I'm thinking of adding some different colors or combination colors this year. Not sure that it really matters but it will make my tackle tray look cool... Also I've always just used plain jig heads and this year I might get me a few road runners with the spinner on them just to try out. I'm usually a cheap no frills fisherman on the river but this year I want to get all fancy and stuff.... HAHA

I use the white roadrunners w/ the red heads and silver sassy-shad . If those don't work i go straight to live crawfish.When they are really-really biting they'll hit the sassy-shads so hard and often that they'll get holey like a mesh t-shirt.Man i can't wait,it's gonna be time soon!

Hayseed, where you getting those live crawfish from? I've heard someone else say something about using that before too. Yeah, i used to catch speckled trout like that, they will tear the back end outta a soft plastic when they are biting. it will usually only last for 2-3 fish at most.

Any news from the rivers yet? Still no activity on the neches... Should be pretty soon!

Hayseed, where you getting those live crawfish from? I've heard someone else say something about using that before too. Yeah, i used to catch speckled trout like that, they will tear the back end outta a soft plastic when they are biting. it will usually only last for 2-3 fish at most.

Any news from the rivers yet? Still no activity on the neches... Should be pretty soon!

The best way ,Catahoula,is to rake them out of a roadside ditch;believe it or not, with a rake (or i use a pole net with real fine mesh).You can get a mesh net at Academy for @ 10 bucks.Once you've been at it a while and know which ditches produce the most crawfish you can usually gather @ 300 "cray's" in @ 20 min.

Good Report Bloodrunningblue,

They are up in the Neches in very small numbers right now. They arrived this past Thursday. Don’t get me wrong, they are not “There” yet and it will certainly get much better next month. I have not caught one yet but headsRtails has caught about 15 or so since Thursday. I’ve also seen a couple other people out there catch one here and there.

I don’t have to work this coming weekend and I plan to hit the river pretty hard all weekend. Anyone want to join me?

Well the cold weather last week(end) has pretty much shut down the Neches River so to speak. I went 2 times and nothing at all. As a matter of fact, when there used to be about a dozen cars at the bridge every morning, today there were a whopping zero. Hopefully things will change, I still have yet to get even one measley fish this year. My friends that were catching some here & there have also been getting skunked too, and they're all well seasoned fishermen and know what they are doing. Last year at this time they were hammering them in the river. Nothing yet this year though. Wal mart shelves are still stocked full of jigs, roadrunners, spinners and grubs. The water temps are back down in the low 40's again and any signs of fish in the river have dissappeared.

Are yall aware of any fish being caught in any other rivers in this area? I hear they are really tearing them up at lake Livingston just below the dam, wish that was a little bit closer to us...

Patience Catahoula, patience!

Well the cold weather last week(end) has pretty much shut down the Neches River so to speak. I went 2 times and nothing at all. As a matter of fact, when there used to be about a dozen cars at the bridge every morning, today there were a whopping zero. Hopefully things will change, I still have yet to get even one measley fish this year. My friends that were catching some here & there have also been getting skunked too, and they're all well seasoned fishermen and know what they are doing. Last year at this time they were hammering them in the river. Nothing yet this year though. Wal mart shelves are still stocked full of jigs, roadrunners, spinners and grubs. The water temps are back down in the low 40's again and any signs of fish in the river have dissappeared.

Are yall aware of any fish being caught in any other rivers in this area? I hear they are really tearing them up at lake Livingston just below the dam, wish that was a little bit closer to us...

Patience Catahoula, patience!

2 of my friends from work caught 30 white bass on the Sabine river just south of Carthage friday.They caught them in about 4 hrs. so they really haven't moved in good yet.