teams that run the spread offense

DC4LIFE

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by didn't just have athletes?

I know right lol. I think he is getting at something like Are there teams that run the zone read and are successful that do not have great athletic abiltity as a team.

I have not seen them because the spread mainly deals with using your speed and abilities. It creates mismatches with your 3rd and 4th recievers and allows you to stretch the field. IMO it takes a smart athletic QB who can also throw the ball fairly well. I do think however it takes a certain kind of athlete to excell in this offense.

One reason, and i know this isn't the only reason, to run the spread is if you have good skill position players but not "the bruisers" up front who can blow the defensive line off the ball and down the field.

If the offensive lineman are "decent" and can scheme well and the qb can throw it okay , the spread and zone read will normally work better than the old fashioned I formation.

L-K won 8 games this year in the spread. Probably would have won 3 games in the I formation.

Lake Travis is a perfect example of a team with a HUGE front line and run the spread and are VERY successful. I dont think the front line is the factor on whether to run the spread. The main factor is when you have MULTIPLE excellent skill players that you want to get the ball into their hands. The spread allows you to do that. The problem with conventional offenses is you are essentially depending on your QB and your stud RB since they touch the ball more than any player in the offense. Of course, you can still run the spread with a great QB and stud RB successfully, ie. Cayuga. But my point is that the spread allows you to put the ball into the hands of more skilled players than just your QB and RB. WETSU is right in saying that it sets up mismatches with your 3rd and 4th receivers.

However, if you are unlucky enough to have no good skilled players on your team, then the spread will not work. But then, no offense is going to work anyway.

I believe that teams that run the I formation, etc never really know what kind of true athletes they really have. Teams like Mt pleasant I know have great athletes, but they will never know, because they have run the same old tired offense forever. How many teams were in the playoffs this year that run the spread? How many of the state champions this year run the spread? I bet the answer to the first question is well over 50% and the answer to the last question is over 90%. So you decide whether it is the system or the athletes, it is a combination of both. The spread allows great athletes to be great athletes.

Lake Travis is a perfect example of a team with a HUGE front line and run the spread and are VERY successful. I dont think the front line is the factor on whether to run the spread. The main factor is when you have MULTIPLE excellent skill players that you want to get the ball into their hands. The spread allows you to do that. The problem with conventional offenses is you are essentially depending on your QB and your stud RB since they touch the ball more than any player in the offense. Of course, you can still run the spread with a great QB and stud RB successfully, ie. Cayuga. But my point is that the spread allows you to put the ball into the hands of more skilled players than just your QB and RB. WETSU is right in saying that it sets up mismatches with your 3rd and 4th receivers.

However, if you are unlucky enough to have no good skilled players on your team, then the spread will not work. But then, no offense is going to work anyway.

Lake Travis has a choice of how to win games with their "HUGE" line. Not all schools have great lineman.

556FMJ............if you think that the front line is no factor in running the spread, you need to visit with several coaches who don't have the great athletes in the line and ask them if they would not run the I formation or some other old school formation more if their line was better.

Carthage is playing for the 3A small school championship Saturday night. I personally know the head coach, Scott Surratt, who calls a majority of the plays. He runs probably 40% I formation and 60% spread(not done an actual study, just guessitmating). He has the big bruisers to run both. Next year, if he stays in Carthage, he might go to 90% spread since he loses 4 offensive lineman. He does what works best.

Lake Travis has a choice of how to win games with their "HUGE" line. Not all schools have great lineman.

556FMJ............if you think that the front line is no factor in running the spread, you need to visit with several coaches who don't have the great athletes in the line and ask them if they would not run the I formation or some other old school formation more if their line was better.

Carthage is playing for the 3A small school championship Saturday night. I personally know the head coach, Scott Surratt, who calls a majority of the plays. He runs probably 40% I formation and 60% spread(not done an actual study, just guessitmating). He has the big bruisers to run both. Next year, if he stays in Carthage, he might go to 90% spread since he loses 4 offensive lineman. He does what works best.

My bad. I shouldnt have said having a big front is not a factor, it is. Having a big front line helps ANY offense you run. Obviously, if you dont have a big line you cant run a I formation successfully and a spread would be better.

What the spread does is allow you to put the ball into the hands of more skill athletes. If you have a huge line and a stud RB then run the I formation, if that floats your boat. But if you have 3-4 other great RB/WR that could put points on the board for you, then running the I formation 100% of the time is not real smart. Because somebody will stop your RB. THAT was my point.

However, it is also a good idea for a team that runs the spread to have a power type formation like the I or Wing T for short yardage situations. And how much you use it will depend on your players abilities. The Carthage coach is a smart man.

If you do not have a very good line, you want to keep your qb away from it. You'll roll out, sprint out, etc to do things to buy time. What ever style of offense you have, you have to have the right kind of athletes to fit your scheme. I personally am not a big fan of it. Yes you do put up yards, yes you do put up points. However if you can run the football, you control the game. There is nothing more demoralizing to a defense (or anything more fun to an offensive lineman) than having the ball crammed down your throat play after play and not being able to stop it. If you score quickly thats great but defenses are like " ok thats just one play". Also, if you control the ball you keep the other teams offense off the field. When your offense is not on the field it is kind of hard to score. I feel that the best defense is a good offense. I don't think the avg fan really understands this, and gets bored with this. Sure the Spread is fun to watch, but there is way more that can go wrong. Now I am definately a product of my upbringing, I played HS ball at Kilgore, and College Ball at UMHB where we would run the ball on 3 & 9. We were pretty successful in HS and played for a National Championship at UMHB with running the ball and controling the clock.... Just my opinion

a lot of coaches run the spread b/c its the "In" thing to do right now--no matter if they have the kids or not--nothing is uglier than a bad spread team goin 3 and out and running 20 seconds off the clock.

If you look teams are starting to cycle back to midline/triple opt., veer, wing-t, also the 1 & 2 back zone stuff is popular.

If you want to run any kind of offense successfully, you need to have a good O-Line. If you can't block it or protect it, you can't do it.

If you want to win state you must have a good oline, a good rb, good qb, good wr's, good te, good deep snapper, good punter, good punt coverage, good dt's, good de's, good lb's, good sec, good punter, good punt ret team, good kick off cov, good kicker, good coaches, and a lot of good luck!

you can take an avg. off line and have success in other systems--a good oline is a must in order to run the spread. if you don't have a good oline no matter how good ur skill kids are you won't be worth a dang.

actually you can have a sub-par line and still have success running midline/triple opt, inside/outside veer, or wing-t.

Good point spanky........the zone read is an adaptation of the old Houston veer.......lineman just need to get in the way long enough for the RB/Qb to pop....it's called screen blocking.......make the DL/LB have to go through you to get to the ball carrier and hold that for 2 to 3 seconds...............good veer, bone and I option teams.....just looked for creases to run through.........................

Actually running a bone style option is best if your lineman are not great, also if you have 3/4 good backs. We ran for 4000 yards as a team this year and had 3 1000 yard rushers and a 600 yard rusher. It does take time to become good at the option, ultimately line strength or weakness will decide how good you will be no matter what you run.

If you want to win state you must have a good oline, a good rb, good qb, good wr's, good te, good deep snapper, good punter, good punt coverage, good dt's, good de's, good lb's, good sec, good punter, good punt ret team, good kick off cov, good kicker, good coaches, and a lot of good luck!

you can take an avg. off line and have success in other systems--a good oline is a must in order to run the spread. if you don't have a good oline no matter how good ur skill kids are you won't be worth a dang.

my school made it 3 rounds deep in the playoffs running the spread with a very average offensive line....but the other team usually had no idea what our offensive coordinator was going to run next, which is not as easy to do in the wing t, I formation, etc..........the spread was very helpful winning 8 games with an average line

Even w/ zone read you must have good lineman--they must be strong enough to not get pushed back--can't have feet going back--this messes up the rb's vision/cuts-you don't want the rb making a cut in the backfeild-it needs to be in the line. also they must be quick enough to zone off . they must be good pass blockers-they must be good in the open feild when you throw screens-which all spread teams throw multiple types of screens. So basically the line needs to be big, strong, quick, and athletic. and if your line is big, strong, quick, and athletic--run whatever you want!

um-cotton--you must be still wet behind the ears if you think its easy to tell what a wing t team is gonna do--that whole system is based on missdirection and being balanced from a base formation. also if you run the I correctly there are false keys/missdirection.

um-cotton--you must be still wet behind the ears if you think its easy to tell what a wing t team is gonna do--that whole system is based on missdirection and being balanced from a base formation. also if you run the I correctly there are false keys/missdirection.

i have been watching about 25-30 high school games a year for about 35 years, so if i am stilll wet behind the ears, then so be it............Paul Pewitt high school runs the wing-t very well and Liberty Hill won state with the wing-t..........i know that it can be run well and winning can happen.......but the defense doesn't have to cover from sideline to sideline at the snap of the ball..........4 really good defensive linemen can knock back a smallish(or even a big but mediocre) line in the wing-t and in general it will mess up most plays......................in the spread, those same 4 defensive lineman will still cause problems, but not near as much

Linden-Kildare scored 40+ points on Jefferson this year out of the spread with a mediocre offense line against a much bigger and better defensive line which got wore out chasing the ball all over the field.........with a run based offense we might have scored 2 touchdowns

and for my L-K breathren who read this, i am very proud of our improvement in the offensive line and their effort

lots of teams focus on the spread offense and score lots of points. however, most of the teams that i see run it focus very little on defense and when they play someone good, they can't win. i don't mind seeing the spread since we've been pretty good about stopping it. the short stuff is what kills a defense against the spread. take away the screens and the slants and pressure the qb and you've got something. the teams that would have me concerned are the ones that can just line it up and run it all night while mixing in a pass here and there. i think the wing t teams out there are the hardest to stop if they've got the players. i can't keep up with the ball and i'm in the stands.