All Time Best Daingerfield Team

YTDogs

Best all time Tiger team  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tiger team was the best?

:notworthy: Congrats Tigers. You've made this former Tiger player very proud. Watching you throughout the playoff's was very rewarding. Making my drive from South Texas, where I now live, to see you in your dominance is something I will never forget.

I would say you rank up there as the best 2A school of all time. Totally dominating your 2A opponents.

Now, who is the best Daingerfield team of all time? I call it a tie from this year's club, and the 3A Tigers of 1983. The '83 team didn't allow a point in the playoff's. 14 of their 16 games were shutouts. Zero points allowed throughout the playoffs. That's unheard of. If I remember correct, only 8 points the entire season was scored on this "D". This year's team probably had the best offense of all the Tiger state champ teams, and for sure had the best overall team speed.

For those who forgot what the 1983 Tiger's accomplished, check out the link below. Also there is a segment at the end of the clip by our very own, David Smoak.

Comparing the 1983 team by 3A standards to 2009 2A standards is not easy. The 1983 team defense was much better by any standard. The 1983 offense got overlooked because of the defense, but the 1983 offense was great as well. The quarterback in 1983(Doug P.) was a great athlete and had a cannon for an arm, but most teams never saw that arm in action.

Both great teams, but will call it a draw on offense and 1983 getting the edge on defense when comparing 3A to 2A. Just a straight up comparison, i got 1983 on both sides of the ball.

Two great teams.

In the clip, that was Coach Homer Young breaking the line down wasn't it?

Yes, that is Coach Young. I miss that man, such a great man. If you have to rank them I think this team falls somewhere around the 84 and 85 teams. 83 was a whole different animal. That only tells you how great the tradition of Daingerfield is, this team might of been the best ever in 2A state history and is still not the clearcut frontrunner for best team in school history.

Loved Homer. Coach Singleton replaced him later I think. I remember as a junior high kid, our state qualifying team in BBall back around 77,78. We stayed with them in Austin at the Charriott Inn. I remember we had a player off that team go on to Arizona State. One of the Lewis Brothers I beleive. Man, those were the days.

This team dominated 2A this year.... the 83 team dominated 3A in a way that will never be touched! I think that the 83 team was a once in a lifetime group and no team will ever knock them off that lofty perch.

Daingerfield Tigers 2009 was awesome, but its hard to argue with the 16 games of domination that the 83 boys put up.

If I'm remembering correctly, the '83 team gave up 8 points all year. Is this correct, and who scored on them?

4A Kilgore scored a safety when the deepsnapper snapped the ball over the head of the punter late in the game. that was week 1.

4a semi-finalists Carthage scored a td on the Tigers in week 3. It was a long pass that was tipped and landed in the hands of the carthage wideout in the endzone. Should've been intercepted. The xp was blocked. Carthage had Roscoe Tatum, TCU alumn, and we held them to 32 yards rushing in the game..... this was a split-back veer team!!!!

No 3A team scored on Daingerfield that year, very few even came close. Our defense gave up an average of less than a yard per play that year!

Why bring this up? All it does it takes away from two great teams. Neither can be compared to each other.

With that being said I always loved Coach Young breaking us down before the game.

For discussion purposes only. I have seen several great great Tiger teams since 1976, and thought info about all of them would make for a great discussion. Just like you do with any sports team that has garnered several state titles, super bowls, WS, Stanley Cups, etc. Come's with being so good at a certain sport. Plus, it re-lives the past and see footage of some of the all time Tiger greats. They should never be forgotten. Love this footage in the video. By no means does it take away from other state teams. They all had something, the other state champs didn't, I'm sure.

Loved Homer. Coach Singleton replaced him later I think. I remember as a junior high kid, our state qualifying team in BBall back around 77,78. We stayed with them in Austin at the Charriott Inn. I remember we had a player off that team go on to Arizona State. One of the Lewis Brothers I beleive. Man, those were the days.

I was there that night almost did not survive the experience.

That was Warren Everrett that you're thinking of. He went on to AZ St. I had heard he transferred to Pepperdine, not sure if thats right though.

Gary Lewis, our postman on that team, went on to UT-Arl (yes, they had a football team back then) and later was drafted by the Packers. He made a name for himself blocking FGs and PATs due to his 6'9 frame.

Not sure what happened to Rodney Lewis, the 6'4 wing off that team. Or Sedrick Younger, the 6'3 postman who played like he was 7'0.

Carey Bardwell played a semester at McMurray in Abilene before dropping out. Heckuva PG he was.

That state title game against Borger was the very last basketball game ever played in historic Gregory Gym. And Gary Lewis' thunderous slam dunk with seconds remaining is still talked about today.

Yes, those were the days alright.

As for what team was the best and the comparisons that can be made . . . . .

. . . . the '83 Tigers stand out and, IMO, are the best ever in DHS history and possibly in state history, regardless of classification. Houston Yates might have something to say about that, but I'd still say the '83 Tigers were the best ever, period.

That team was so good it was freakish. I graduated in '82 and started both ways on the last 4A team DHS had - and we had several members of that '83 title team come aboard our team as frosh and sophs. That was unheard of at DHS at the time. We took it as a slight against us seniors, but quickly learned that these guys were GOOD. A year or so later, we'd all understand just how good.

The other state champion Tigers were great in their own right. No season is the same so its tough to separate the other four champs. But I'd say this year's team might be a notch above some others.

I base both opinions on sheer dominance. The '83 team didn't allow a 3A team to even score. That's unheard of and will never be done again. Think about that. That's heroic (varsity blues). ha ha

I'm just glad each team graced the halls of DHS and their efforts and talents gave reasons for the entire area to be proud.

The most special, if there could be such a thing, might be the '68 team simply because they were the first, broke new ground, and fought against some tough odds (first year of intergration of Rhodes High and Daingerfield High).

Man, it's fun to look back sometimes.

As for what team was the best and the comparisons that can be made . . . . .

. . . . the '83 Tigers stand out and, IMO, are the best ever in DHS history and possibly in state history, regardless of classification. Houston Yates might have something to say about that, but I'd still say the '83 Tigers were the best ever, period.

That team was so good it was freakish. I graduated in '82 and started both ways on the last 4A team DHS had - and we had several members of that '83 title team come aboard our team as frosh and sophs. That was unheard of at DHS at the time. We took it as a slight against us seniors, but quickly learned that these guys were GOOD. A year or so later, we'd all understand just how good.

The other state champion Tigers were great in their own right. No season is the same so its tough to separate the other four champs. But I'd say this year's team might be a notch above some others.

I base both opinions on sheer dominance. The '83 team didn't allow a 3A team to even score. That's unheard of and will never be done again. Think about that. That's heroic (varsity blues). ha ha

I'm just glad each team graced the halls of DHS and their efforts and talents gave reasons for the entire area to be proud.

The most special, if there could be such a thing, might be the '68 team simply because they were the first, broke new ground, and fought against some tough odds (first year of intergration of Rhodes High and Daingerfield High).

Man, it's fun to look back sometimes.

Awesome post TFS. And yes, I do remember it was Warren Everett now that you mentioned him. Man, what memory's, and what a Tiger BBall team it was. And, I do remember Lewis going to Green Bay and blocking kicks too.

That's what this thread was really intended for. Remembering all the great Daingerfield teams. And, I'm still watching this video daily with Alexander, Homer and the guys getting after it. Great story. Man, we looked like hillbillies didn't we back then:)

4A Kilgore scored a safety when the deepsnapper snapped the ball over the head of the punter late in the game. that was week 1.

4a semi-finalists Carthage scored a td on the Tigers in week 3. It was a long pass that was tipped and landed in the hands of the carthage wideout in the endzone. Should've been intercepted. The xp was blocked. Carthage had Roscoe Tatum, TCU alumn, and we held them to 32 yards rushing in the game..... this was a split-back veer team!!!!

No 3A team scored on Daingerfield that year, very few even came close. Our defense gave up an average of less than a yard per play that year!

I had heard the touchdown was given up on an interception thrown by Daingerfield and run back, that the Defense never gave up a point. Was I misinformed? Or did I misread the post ?

I remember when I first came into the area, Hawkins had the history of the '83 team on the wall. I was Very impressed. Records are made to be broken goes the cliché, but they don't say when. My guess is when Laredo freezes over. With the quality of football state-wide, the score of this year's final was Very impressive, but to go a whole season like the Tigers did in '83, well, the poll results show, from those who know both. :notworthy:

I had heard the touchdown was given up on an interception thrown by Daingerfield and run back, that the Defense never gave up a point. Was I misinformed? Or did I misread the post ?

I remember when I first came into the area, Hawkins had the history of the '83 team on the wall. I was Very impressed. Records are made to be broken goes the cliché, but they don't say when. My guess is when Laredo freezes over. With the quality of football state-wide, the score of this year's final was Very impressive, but to go a whole season like the Tigers did in '83, well, the poll results show, from those who know both. :notworthy:

From the book "1983: Year Of The Tiger" by Buz Hudgins and Charley Harrist

"The Tiger defense got stung only once - a 55 yard bomb from Bulldog quarterback Ricky Rougely to wide receiver Wyche Walton in the third quarter that put the Tigers behind for the first time this year."

You were misinformed but many have asked the same question. The legend gets better every year. Pretty soon Daingerfeld will have done all they did with 10 players.

From the book "1983: Year Of The Tiger" by Buz Hudgins and Charley Harrist

"The Tiger defense got stung only once - a 55 yard bomb from Bulldog quarterback Ricky Rougely to wide receiver Wyche Walton in the third quarter that put the Tigers behind for the first time this year."

You were misinformed but many have asked the same question. The legend gets better every year. Pretty soon Daingerfeld will have done all they did with 10 players.

LOL @ 10 players. The one armed WR they used, and the female secondary player was amazing enough.