2010 will be Darren Oliver's third stint with the Rangers

cheaptrick77

Texas Rangers, Darren Oliver could be close on one-year deal

http://www.star-telegram.com/284/story/1844502.html

The Texas Rangers seem serious about adding another left-hander to the bullpen, and Darren Oliver seems serious about considerably shortening his commute to work.

Sources indicated Sunday that the Rangers and Oliver could be nearing a one-year contract that would allow the reliever and Southlake resident to return to his first big-league team.

Oliver has spent the past three seasons with the Los Angeles Angels, but the three-time defending AL West champs did not offer the Type A free agent salary arbitration.

Should the Rangers complete a deal, which could happen this week, they won’t have to surrender a first-round draft choice.

It would be Oliver’s third stint with the Rangers. He made his Major Lleague debut in 1993 and was a member of the rotation from 1996 until he was traded midway through the 1998 season.

He returned to the Rangers as a starter in 2000 and 2001.

Oliver, 39, would give the Rangers some options. He could join C.J. Wilson in the bullpen to give manager Ron Washington two proven lefties for late-game situations, or he could become the primary bullpen lefty and allow Wilson to join the starting rotation.

The Rangers have also added lefties Clay Rapada and Ben Snyder this month to compete for a relief role in 2010. Matt Harrison and Derek Holland, two more southpaws, could land in the bullpen if their bids for the rotation fall short in spring training.

Washington made it clear earlier this month that he’d prefer to have two lefties, maybe even three, in the bullpen next season.

THREE STINTS WITH TEXAS RANGERS

Bill Haselman

Darren Oliver

Kenny Rogers

Ruben Sierra

(I don't think I left off anyone)

Compare the stats. Rodney 2-5 4.40 era 61 K and 41 walks 75 innings.

Oliver 5-1 2.71 ERA 65 k 22 walks.

Now which player do you want?????? Also one is LEFTY one is RIGHTY

Daniels has rebuilt the Rangers, and I am a Red Sox fan by the way, but love baseball

He's 7 years younger, and had 37 saves with 38 chances last year. Why would Darren Oliver excite anyone ?

Oliver is NOT going to be the Rangers closer ... he is a rubber-armed lefty coming out of the bullpen who knows how to retire batters. THAT is why Oliver would "excite" anyone...

:notworthy: a good solid lefty in the pen who can show these kids what a winner does to make himself better.

Because they dont need a closer, but everyone needs a lefty in the Bullpen.

He seemed to excite the Angles lastyear. And if they end up out of contention he is good trade bait.

Do you watch baseball? when you dont have unlimited resources you sign solid players that fill your needs, you dont just sign a closer to say you signed one and now you have two.

unless your the Yankees or that team from bahston. :D who did we have as a lefty last year beside wilson or holland? guardado? daniels made a nice move to bolster a potential 2010 al west champion.

Because they dont need a closer, but everyone needs a lefty in the Bullpen.

He seemed to excite the Angles lastyear. And if they end up out of contention he is good trade bait.

Do you watch baseball? when you dont have unlimited resources you sign solid players that fill your needs, you dont just sign a closer to say you signed one and now you have two.

I realize he's a setup man. The Angels didn't want him back, otherwise they would have signed him. I think they would have been better off signing him as a coach. He's almost 40, but he was always a run of the mill pitcher. I wouldn't get too excited about this.

What is with the excited part????????

Its a good signing, if it were the Red Sox, Angels, or even Rangers

I'll agree with the above mentioned teams. I'm sure they may bring Chan Ho Park back also in the future. I like the little red shoes, but this isn't going to help the Rangers to be Western Division Champions. I'm not trying to rain on the parade in Arlington, but I suppose if ya'll are happy with the signing. Merry Christmas in Ranger Land. I root for the Rangers, but I don't see how bringing back Darren Oliver is going to help the Rangers get over the hump. I see it as a nostalgia signing. This would be like the Yankees calling "Moose" and saying, pitch some middle relief, and we'll give you 3 million. I think "Moose" would do well, but the signing wouldn't be that great.

I don't think anyone is claiming this signing is going to make the Rangers the World Series champions. It was simply a good move to fill a much needed left handed bull pen spot. Dave you're just trying imply things that are not there. Not everyone is available, and no, he didn't just become available because the Angels didn't want him. More goes into it than that. I thought you knew more about baseball than that.

I kinda think signing Oliver was a pretty good move, too. I also kinda think the real reason for the move could be to plug Oliver into C.J. Wilson's LH setup role from the bullpen in the event that Wilson is moved into the rotation. Either way, I like the acquisition.

cj wilson a starter? what would the rotation look like if that happens?

McCarthy

Holland

Feliz

Feldman

Wilson/Harrison/?

Don't forget about Harden up at the top of the rotation, along with Feldman! The Rangers have given Wilson a possibility of competing for a starting spot, but there's a good chance he'll remain in the bullpen.

Don't forget about Harden up at the top of the rotation, along with Feldman! The Rangers have given Wilson a possibility of competing for a starting spot, but there's a good chance he'll remain in the bullpen.

completely forgot about Harden. no disprespect for Feldman. With that much talent I just dont see a way,unless Feliz stays in the 'pen, that he can crack the rotation. then again i didnt see Feldman having a Cy Young season either. lol its just good to see that we finally have the talent that we can argue about the pitching staff.

completely forgot about Harden. no disprespect for Feldman. With that much talent I just dont see a way,unless Feliz stays in the 'pen, that he can crack the rotation. then again i didnt see Feldman having a Cy Young season either. lol its just good to see that we finally have the talent that we can argue about the pitching staff.

No kidding! For once, a good problem to have!

I don't think anyone is claiming this signing is going to make the Rangers the World Series champions. It was simply a good move to fill a much needed left handed bull pen spot. Dave you're just trying imply things that are not there. Not everyone is available, and no, he didn't just become available because the Angels didn't want him. More goes into it than that. I thought you knew more about baseball than that.

The Rangers have a lot of holes to fill, and paying Darren Oliver to retire with the Rangers isn't something I'd want as a fan. I'm just wondering if he's the right move for the Rangers to make it back. I remember the days of Johnny Oates, and Darren was a part of the team. I don't see it as a good signing. I'd like to see the Rangers in the playoffs, but they need to sign some players if they are going to compete with the Angels.

"A lot" ??? :ermm:

A right-handed designated hitter & what else?

I forgot Rangers fans don't like to talk about pitching, and I hate Vazquez being brought back to the Yankees. I think Seattle has surpassed the Rangers with the Halladay/Lee trade. I hate Seattle since the days of Buhner, Rodriguez, Griffey, Johnson, and Martinez. Seattle and Los Angeles has a leg up, and the Rangers sign Darren Oliver.

I think Seattle has surpassed the Rangers with the Halladay/Lee trade.

Nah -- the West has no doubt been "tightened", but the Rangers are still ahead of the Mariners.

You act as if us stupid Rangers fans are viewing Darren Oliver as the new "cornerstone" of the team. :ermm:

Nah -- the West has no doubt been "tightened", but the Rangers are still ahead of the Mariners.

You act as if us stupid Rangers fans are viewing Darren Oliver as the new "cornerstone" of the team. :ermm:

This might be the biggest off season signing that the Rangers have. I'm just saying is there are many teams that are signing players that will contribute to their teams. I'm really disappointed in the Rangers, and I realize that they are going through an ownership change. If this is all little johnny daniels has to offer, and he expects business as usual at Ranger Park. I feel for ya'll.

I'm not saying that any of you are stupid Rangers fans, where you got that from is "off" .

I'm just saying is there are many teams that are signing players that will contribute to their teams.

...and Darren Oliver will contribute to the Rangers.

"Going out" and signing players at will just to say you did does not guarantee success.

The Rangers will be fine with their young talent -- just you wait & see ;)

...and Darren Oliver will contribute to the Rangers.

"Going out" and signing players at will just to say you did does not guarantee success.

The Rangers will be fine with their young talent -- just you wait & see ;)

I believe you said that last year too. I agree that Oliver will contribute and was a great signing. Anytime you can get a seasoned veteran that is proven to come out of the bullpen you are only helping the younger guys out there. However I think the starting rotation will again be the problem.. With Milwood gone that will force Feldman into the #1 role and he isn't a true #1. That has been the rap on the Rangers staff for years....no true #1 guy. Milwood has always been a solid 2 to 3 guy but a #1 should be able to give the bullpen a day off every now and then. I hated to see Milwood go, because he did start giving the team more innings last season. Feldman won't finish a lot of games. The Rangers should've made the Halliday trade last season after Holland shined just 2 nights before the trade deadline. After the Rangers declined to let Holland go in the trade he fell apart after the trade deadline. The Rangers have young talent all over the field and they have been producing, but don't have a strong enough rotation to break into the playoffs. Pitching is key in the MLB.

I disagree on Holland. You dont trade young lefty's. He has a chance to be really good, and that is the thought around the league. Wanting Halliday is fine but not if it meant giving away what we have built. The real question is do you need a true #1 IN Texas? Everyone says yes but if you had 4 guys who were true #2 or #3 guys would you better off? I know in the playoffs you want that ace, but for me I would just like to get there.

Holland went 4-7 after the trade deadline with and ERA of around 7. Texas hasn't had a true #1 pitcher in sometime and they haven't made the playoffs in sometime either. Their Ace always has to have the bullpen to save him and he never gives them a day off. An ace is a great pitcher with a good ERA, but also gets a CG on occasion to save the bullpen....even if he takes a loss. What exactly has Texas built? A great lineup with a mediocre pitching staff. If you can't see that you are blind.

To answer your question...yes, you do need a true #1 ace pitcher in Texas.

When Roger Clemens pitched for the Astros the Rangers had a better squad, but lacked the pitching talent the Astros had. Guess who made the playoffs a couple of times when the Rangers didn't.

2009 was not supposed to be their year it is supposed to be 2010, but I dont want to trade away players like we have i the past to get Chan Ho, or Manny Lee.

Just like in 2008 they said 2008 isn't supposed to be their year, it is supposed to be 2009.