17-3A hoops

CEO

I didn't go to the game, but them not winning was not a total shock. They will bounce back hopefully this Friday against Tatum. I will say that I was very impressed with Gilmer's JV coach. They may have lost by 10-15 points, but that guy understands what the game is all about. Gilmer seems to be back on the rise in basketball.

Man I hope not!!!!!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the officiating went well... Im sure they have had better.

I do not think they have had any worse. I think one of the officials even made a couple calls in Tatum's favor just to make up for the calls by one of the officials.

I don't know Coach Car, but from what I heard, he was not at the Tatum/Gladewater game.

As far as the officiating, there were 29 fouls called on Tatum, and 25 called on Gladewater. The Bears shot 40 free throws,missing 17. Tatum shot 32, missing 13. Actually I prefer the Northeast Texas chapter over the ones we saw tonight in Spring Hill. Actually after watching all the teams, I would have picked Tatum boys to beat Bullard, but I guess Bullard proved me wrong. I really prefer that the officials let the teams play, within reason, but it just seems like none of the teams can do what they excel at when the whistle is blowing non-stop. Seems like every year in basketball that the officials pretty much take over and you don't really get to see the personalities of the teams. Take for instance, the Bear game against Tatum. Tatum won the game by 2 points. Now I believe Tatum is the best team we have played, but yet tonight we go up against an 0-4 Spring HIll team, and they beat us by 30+. Who would figure?????? Just shows that anything can happen on any given night.

We played Chapel HIll and they beat us by 21 points. Chapel Hill was called for only 5 fouls the entire game,only one of those in the first half. We were called for 14, which is really low for us. LOL In the Bullard game, which we lost by 12, we were called for 20 fouls and Bullard was called for 19. In the Gilmer game, which we won in overtime, we were called for 18 fouls, and Gilmer was called for 17 fouls. In the Gilmer game 4 of those were techs (2 on each team), in the Bullard game there were 2 techs (one on each team), 3 techs in Tatum game (2 on Tatum, 1 on Bears), 3 techs tonight (all on the Bears). None of these tonight were unsportsmanlike techs. One was because the Bears were dunking the ball after the officials came to the floor before the game, one was on the coach who told an official to call the game the same on both sides of the court, and the other tech was on a player who was upset about a call, but IMHO it wasn't that bad to get a tech.

I'm saying all this not to be critical of the officiating. Believe me I know that the majority of the fouls called against us are warranted, but I just like to see games determined by the kids and not see every ticky tack thing called.

One cannot go by the total number of fouls called. It is when the fouls are called. The ref. can put one team in foul trouble, put one team in bonus shots then even the fouls up later. After some players have been sitting on the bench or pulled back in their play.

I will say congratulations to Bullard they found someone who is smart enough and not too lazy to post who fouled on the scoreboard along with the number of fouls that person has. Did have trouble understanding the announcer.

Bullard is very talented, made their lay-ups, hardly ever missed from free shot line and out played us is the reason they won. Tatum can beat them and maybe that will happen when they come to the Coliseum.

One cannot go by the total number of fouls called. It is when the fouls are called. The ref. can put one team in foul trouble, put one team in bonus shots then even the fouls up later. After some players have been sitting on the bench or pulled back in their play.

I will say congratulations to Bullard they found someone who is smart enough and not too lazy to post who fouled on the scoreboard along with the number of fouls that person has. Did have trouble understanding the announcer.

Bullard is very talented, made their lay-ups, hardly ever missed from free shot line and out played us is the reason they won. Tatum can beat them and maybe that will happen when they come to the Coliseum.

You make a great point. I will totally agree that it depends on when the fouls are called, but it doesn't matter much for a team to be in the penalty if they can't make a free throw. If you have a good charity line team, that hits their free throw, then the foul situation changes the game. Now in the case of the Tatum/Gladewater game, some of the Tatum players hit the bench early because of fouls, and it did take Tatum out of their game plan. Like I said earlier, Tatum is IMHO the best team I have seen this year on the boys side. And yes, you were right when you said one official was making calls to even up the game. Unfortunately, I don't agree with an official doing that either. It's just as bad as making bad calls to start with, maybe even worse as far as I am concerned. It is the coaches jobs to control their players. I believe the officials can keep the game from getting out of hand without making calls that puts players at the charity stripe 70 times in a game.

And yes, making free throws is part of the game, and if you are good at it as players such as Josiah Rosebury and Lance Anding from Bullard, Patton from Gilmer, Willie Clark from CH, and pretty much the whole Spring Hill team, then you can win a game. Gladewater has been to the line 213 times, making 125 of those, and most of those missed were front ends of 1 and 1's. I was talking to one of the younger kids at the game last night, and he said they had to shoot free throws every day. I told him they still weren't practicing them enough. I watch a young lady over in Bullard that spent the whole JV girl's game behind the stands working on her shot, and practicing. Now that' commitment. That's why she will succeed in life at whatever she does. She hit for 21 points against us, and her team beat us by 28. Being a success isn't about going out on game day and playing the game...it's about how much work you put in during the week.

It's a rare occasion that I can't find fault with the officiating. LOL. If the calls are being made without prejudice according to what is seen then I'm okay with it (kinda). But - I really get upset when the official, or officials, are so obvious that they are calling and assisting a team to win, or when they aren't calling a tight enough game that it begins to get out of hand.:rant: If they walk the middle road, then it's okay. Sure I'm gonna yell and probably embarrass myself in the stands when I disagree with a call, but I've been doing better lately. :coolio: In the same breath you couldn't pay me to do it. My hats off to those guys. :notworthy: I hope they all try to be honest and call the game as they see it and not how they want it to be.

Um, I believe it is the same guy doing the board. And I was sure happy to see him using the entire score board as well. It's really frustrating, as a fan in the stands, when you don't know who the foul was called on and how many they have.

We are looking forward to playing in the Coliseum. Please remember, we are still without Beavers. He will surely be back full strength when we visit you there. It will be another good match.

So after the first round its..

Tatum 4-1

Bullard 4-1

CH 3-2

Gilmer 2-3

GW 1-4

SH 1-4

Is this right? Unsure on Gilmer and CH..

Also anyone have the current standings for the girls?

Chapel Hill beat Gilmer 65-56.

Did not see the score on the girls game.

Guest basketballjunky
So after the first round its..

Tatum 4-1

Bullard 4-1

CH 3-2

Gilmer 2-3

GW 1-4

SH 1-4

Is this right? Unsure on Gilmer and CH..

Also anyone have the current standings for the girls?

Girls

Bullard 7 & 0

Spring Hill 1 loss

Tatum 3 losses

Not sure about the rest,, these however are the teams in the hunt

Well... score was 54-38 Tatum girls.

Congrats!

#11 played hard all game..

Im not sure on records but heres some standings..

On the boys side

1st Tatum and Bullard- 2 games ahead of,

3rd Gilmer and CH

SH has one win... "Think" GW does too..

Girls side

1st Bullard

2nd SH

3rd Tatum- 3 games ahead of,

CH,GW

Gilmer