2010 Hall of Fame- Welcome Andre Dawson

Stoney

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-Hall-of-Fame-010610

well i was close on one.

Roberto Alomar yes

Barry Larkin yes

Edgar Martinez yes

Fred McGriff yes

4 out of 19 guys. 2 for sure first ballot guys in alomar & larkin. martinez great dh. mcgriff was our generations jim rice

Alomar was close. Larkin got 50%. well i was 0 for 2. lol

A true player & lover of the game! And one of the nicest guys you will ever meet!

I still have my # 8 "Dawson" jersey in my closet!

It's about time that the Hawk made it to the Hall!

CONGRATULATIONS Andre "Hawk" Dawson on the Baseball Hall of Fame!

Maybe next year we can get Lee Smith (another former Cub) in there!

What is truly said is that the great Dale Murphy (a tremendous outfielder/1st baseman and hitter) from those very lean years of the Atlanta Braves only received 63 votes...

Man, I remember when he was playing - everyone dreaded him coming to the plate & did not want to hit it to right field! Lead the majors in Home Runs & RBIs from 1981 to 1990 era!

Shame shame shame...

Dale Murphy, like Roger Maris, had 2-3 Hall Of Fame seasons, but did not have a HOF career -- in my ever-so-humble opinion.

Of course, I am EXTREMELY particular when it comes to the Hall Of Fame ... only the absolute “best of the best” deserve this sacred immortality & there is no need to elect someone every year. ;)

2010HOF.jpg

David Segui = one vote :ermm:

Hall of Fame outfielders: Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb...and now Andre Dawson?

Don't get me wrong, I grew up being a big fan of the Hawk, especially during his heyday in both Montreal and Chicago. But honestly - does he belong in the same group with the aforementioned three HOF outfielders?

Just a thought.

a few players not elected as first time nominees. really shocked by these.

Cy Young

Grover Cleveland Alexander

Rogers Hornsby

Lefty Grove

Jimmie Foxx

Mel Ott

Joe DiMaggio

Yogi Berra

Whitey Ford

Juan Marichal

Luis Aparicio

Billy Williams

I realize this is too radical of an idea, but seeing how you are either a Hall Of Famer, or you are not, you should have only one chance at induction.

All eligible candidates would have two boxes by their names: "YES" and "NO". All candidates with 75% "YES" votes are inducted. There would be no limit as to have many candidates are elected each year. If no one receives 75% "YES" votes in a year: sorry, Cooperstown ... no ceremony that year.

Of course, the makeup of the people invested with the honor of voting would need an overhaul -- perhaps a combination of the current Baseball writers & say ... all former Major Leaguers retired at least five years, with at least five years of MLB service.

Player Total Votes Percentage hall of famer?

Andre Dawson 420 77.9% yes

Bert Blyleven 400 74.2% yes

Roberto Alomar 397 73.7% yes

Jack Morris 282 52.3% yes

Barry Larkin 278 51.6% yes

Lee Smith 255 47.3% yes

Edgar Martinez 195 36.2% no

Tim Raines 164 30.4% no

Mark McGwire 128 23.7% no

Alan Trammell 121 22.4% no

Fred McGriff 116 21.5% no

Don Mattingly 87 16.1% no

Dave Parker 82 15.2% no

Dale Murphy 63 11.7% no

Harold Baines 33 6.1% no

Andres Galarraga 22 4.1% no

Robin Ventura 7 1.3% no

Ellis Burks 2 0.4% no

Eric Karros 2 0.4% no

Kevin Appier 1 0.2% no

Pat Hentgen 1 0.2% no

David Segui 1 0.2% no

Mike Jackson 0 0% no

Ray Lankford 0 0% no

Shane Reynolds 0 0% no

Todd Zeile 0 0% no

Look at it this way, Hawk is one of three players to have hit at least 400 HR's and have 300 stolen bases.

Barry Bonds 762*-514

Willie Mays 660-338

Andre Dawson 438-314

Plus, he had a .507 slugging percentage as a Cub which is the fourth highest in team history.

Dawson was better than Jim Rice, not to mention the hawk's ARM and general defensive skills.

With that said it's just another player inducted that wasn't as good as Albert Belle.

Roberto Alomar not being in is a joke and a sham and a travesty.

I'm pro Barry Larkin as well, he was a great ball player.

As far as Edgar Martinez goes, Bob Costas said it best, with players like Raines and Murphy and Mattingly, you could say that at one time they were the best player in baseball or very close to it, no one ever thought Edgar Martinez was a top 10 player in the majors at any one time.

Forgive me if I sound crass, but Andre Dawson is NOT a Hall of Famer. No way you can look at that guy and say, "Man, he was one of the greatest to play the game." That is what the HOF is for, not very good players.

Dawson in and Alomar out? Terrible.

Apparently Chase, you never watched The Hawk play very much!

1992-1999 Albert Belle statistics

322 Homeruns

.302 Batting Average

1001 RBIs

.382 OBP

.586 Slugging %

313 Doubles

1955-1962 Mickey Mantle statistics

320 Homeruns

.315 Batting Average

806 RBIs

.445 OBP

.616 Slugging %

167 Doubles

Pretty similar if you ask me, (I'm aware that Mickey Mantle was better than Albert Belle, I'm just making the point that if he is that close to someone who is without a doubt a hall of famer than maybe he should get as much consideration as a Dawson or Rice).

Mickey Mantle had a lot more longevity but Belle's stats in this comparison are hurt by the strike shortened 94 season

Hall of Fame outfielders: Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb...and now Andre Dawson?

Don't get me wrong, I grew up being a big fan of the Hawk, especially during his heyday in both Montreal and Chicago. But honestly - does he belong in the same group with the aforementioned three HOF outfielders?

Just a thought.

C'mon man......

That's not a fair comparison. If that's the comparison, then forget anymore outfielders getting in.

These guys have to combine stats with greatness in their generation. Andre Dawson was among the preeminent outfielders of his generation. Combine that with the stats and he's a HOF'er.

C'mon man......

That's not a fair comparison. If that's the comparison, then forget anymore outfielders getting in.

These guys have to combine stats with greatness in their generation. Andre Dawson was among the preeminent outfielders of his generation. Combine that with the stats and he's a HOF'er.

Trust me, I understand the point you're making, but in my opinion, a HOF'er should bring that "goosebump" factor to you...Cal Ripken did, even Tony Gwynn pretty much did...

But Andre Dawson?

...and I understand the "one of the best of his generation" argument & the fact that it is hard to compare eras. It is a valid argument.

I am of the opinion that a generation does not necessarily need to be "represented" in the Hall Of Fame -- only players whose greatness transcends generations.

...but there is also a side of me -- someone who never played Major League Baseball -- that feels a tad guilty for passing judgement. I will lose no sleep knowing Andre Dawson is in the Hall Of Fame, nor do I view it as a miscarriage of justice.