No Shame

Players from Texas doing the "horns down" is a common thing. Over half the players from OU do it every season.

Yeah but that's OU. I expect that from their players because that is our biggest rivalry. My biggest laugh was watching the Baylor fans give the "Horns down" prior to the UT/Baylor game.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can any TEXAN root against Texas in this game. I understand in state rivals like UT vs. AM, but this is our state playing against another state. I am a Texas fan, but I would have rooted for any Texas school (TCU, TT, even AM) playing in the National Championship game against a school from another state. I have never understood that mentality. How can you hope your OWN loses.

I understand your point of thinking, but a rival should always be a rival. Beat em Football and all other sports. Beat em in the classrooms and in the job market, just be competitive with your rival always. Handing out participation trophies and giving warm fuzzies to your opponents is watering down America!!;)

To others who dont like the horns down sign, how about your new words to the fight song,"Make em eat....." at the end. I know other schools have obnoxious fans too, but the game I attended, the whole section was saying this, and folks get mad for horns down? Get a grip. I am not an Aggie either, just like to attend any game wihtout having to shield my young boy's ears from profanity.

I understand your point of thinking, but a rival should always be a rival. Beat em Football and all other sports. Beat em in the classrooms and in the job market, just be competitive with your rival always. Handing out participation trophies and giving warm fuzzies to your opponents is watering down America!!;)

To others who dont like the horns down sign, how about your new words to the fight song,"Make em eat....." at the end. I know other schools have obnoxious fans too, but the game I attended, the whole section was saying this, and folks get mad for horns down? Get a grip. I am not an Aggie either, just like to attend any game wihtout having to shield my young boy's ears from profanity.

I agree with both of your statements.

How can any TEXAN root against Texas in this game. I understand in state rivals like UT vs. AM, but this is our state playing against another state. I am a Texas fan, but I would have rooted for any Texas school (TCU, TT, even AM) playing in the National Championship game against a school from another state. I have never understood that mentality. How can you hope your OWN loses.

It is not our state playing another state. It is one university from Texas playing another university from Alabama. I have a hard time understanding all of you t-shirt fans that blindly root for Texas. Most of them that I know are good old, conservative boys................that is not what Texas stands for. I cannot tell you how many people that I have known that were going to send their kids to TExas and after visiting the campus, were so appalled that they sent them elsewhere. Look at our last three elections. Travis county was the only county in the State that was liberal. No they certainly are not my OWN. If you went to SFA, that is your OWN.

I attended and Sun Bowl this year. And saw alot of Texas Jerseys being worn in the stadium. On the Oklahoma side of the field. I did not see one of them supporting OU and the Big 12. They were mouthing on the way into the stadium. Cheering on Stanford, and very obnoxious language being addressed towards the OU bench(Of course the alcohol was flowing). And after the game was harrassing OU fans because they won in the "Sun Bowl" and Texas was playing in the NC. They were the instigators in every situation.

There is no "Big 12 Pride" among rivals like this. Believe me, I was pretty fired up last night that Alabama won.

Other Rivals...AKA Nebraska - are respected rivals....most OU fans pull for Nebraska in major games, and vice versa.

Its just a hated Rivalry, and I expect the A&M/Tex rivalry is about the same way. So I wouldnt expect an A&M fan to pull for Texas.

I was not happy McCoy went out with injury. #1 it gives Texas fans an excuse, #2 you hate to see a kid work so hard to get somewhere and not get to participate - I would of much rather Bama just beat em straight up.

Now that its all said and done - congrats to the Texas football team for a great season. It is still a major accomplishment. Now to all the Texas fans...welcome to a year of what ifs. I Remember when OU played LSU and White had a broken hand but played anyhow. Still wonder if he had been healthy how that one would of turned out.

It is not our state playing another state. It is one university from Texas playing another university from Alabama. I have a hard time understanding all of you t-shirt fans that blindly root for Texas. Most of them that I know are good old, conservative boys................that is not what Texas stands for. I cannot tell you how many people that I have known that were going to send their kids to TExas and after visiting the campus, were so appalled that they sent them elsewhere. Look at our last three elections. Travis county was the only county in the State that was liberal. No they certainly are not my OWN. If you went to SFA, that is your OWN.

Whoa there fella. I am as conservative as it gets and I graduated from UT in 1988. I graduated from Hallsville and moved back after college graduation. So I still have and practice the East Texas ideas. I have no problem with UT being labeled "liberal" as this was/is covered in another topic. As a matter of fact I have a daughter that will be attending UT next fall. A lot of the student body is conservative with the "staff" being the liberal bunch. There is nothing wrong with being exposed to the "liberal" ideas as it just made me stronger in my beliefs as being conservative. It is better to be insulated from the world than being isolated from the world.

Whoa there fella. I am as conservative as it gets and I graduated from UT in 1988. I graduated from Hallsville and moved back after college graduation. So I still have and practice the East Texas ideas. I have no problem with UT being labeled "liberal" as this was/is covered in another topic. As a matter of fact I have a daughter that will be attending UT next fall. A lot of the student body is conservative with the "staff" being the liberal bunch. There is nothing wrong with being exposed to the "liberal" ideas as it just made me stronger in my beliefs as being conservative. It is better to be insulated from the world than being isolated from the world.

A lot more than the "staff" votes in elections.

You have to understand he thinks his opinion is the only one.Just ignore him he might go away.

Austin is a liberal city by Texas standards. But there are reasons:

1) The liberal intellectuals at UT attrack other liberals.

2) Austin has a huge entertainment industry which is historically liberal

3) Austin is a state capital and a large percent of the population is supported by tax dollars (State, City, County, University, & schools). These group historically are more liberal in that if you vote for a growth in social programs you are creating more jobs in your community.

That being said Austin is comprised of all walks of people and they take their differences in stride.

But whether they were liberal or conservative they supported the HORNS and kept their horns high after the game. Through all the adversity of the game, except for a lapse at the end of the first half, Texas played hard and created opportunities for itself in the game.

Now if we can get behind Rick Barnes and will the dribbling Horns to a National Championship Game.

I understand your point, but I don't think 100% of UT fans would be real disappointed had A&M lost to Alabama, and in fact it would be a very small percentage wanting A&M to win.

It's just human nature, and I know for a fact 100% of Auburn fans were rooting against Alabama and that's "their own."

David Smoak

I don't agree with that. I think most fans, and especially alumni root for conference rivals in bowl games. It only makes sense. We have quite a few LSU supporters on here and they stick up for the SEC, as they should.

My favorite was BYU trashing the Aggies before the Holiday bowl way back in the 80's I think. That hacked me off. They knew nothing of the quality of team they were going up against. I thought it was great when the Ags took BYU to the woodshed.

You have no idea what the University of Texas stands for. The liberal professors and kooks in Austin are not the students and they aren't the alumni.

I don't agree with that. I think most fans, and especially alumni root for conference rivals in bowl games. It only makes sense. We have quite a few LSU supporters on here and they stick up for the SEC, as they should.

My favorite was BYU trashing the Aggies before the Holiday bowl way back in the 80's I think. That hacked me off. They knew nothing of the quality of team they were going up against. I thought it was great when the Ags took BYU to the woodshed.

I disagree I would not rootfor Ou no matter who they play

You have no idea what the University of Texas stands for. The liberal professors and kooks in Austin are not the students and they aren't the alumni.

You have no idea what I know and don't know, but the first part of your second sentence says it all.

In principle, I agree with you. Practically, and viscerally, there is NO WAY that I can in good conscience root for Texas. That is the truth, just how it is...

In a heated, hated rivalry such as is the RRR, I would bet that that is the prevailing mindset.

There is no "Big 12 Pride" among rivals like this. Believe me, I was pretty fired up last night that Alabama won.

Other Rivals...AKA Nebraska - are respected rivals....most OU fans pull for Nebraska in major games, and vice versa.

Its just a hated Rivalry, and I expect the A&M/Tex rivalry is about the same way. So I wouldnt expect an A&M fan to pull for Texas.

I was not happy McCoy went out with injury. #1 it gives Texas fans an excuse, #2 you hate to see a kid work so hard to get somewhere and not get to participate - I would of much rather Bama just beat em straight up.

Now to all the Texas fans...welcome to a year of what ifs. I Remember when OU played LSU and White had a broken hand but played anyhow. Still wonder if he had been healthy how that one would of turned out.

^^^^

THIS! White barely overthrew a wide-open Kejuan Jones in the end zone that would have sent the game into overtime. The LSU players were gassed, I sure would have liked our chances had we connected. But there was the broken hand....

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.... Now you Horn fans get your turn at it.

Dissapointed a little in McElroy going with the "Horns down" on his way out to kneel the ball. I mean he didn't do much at all tonight. He's definitely a winner, but that was a classless move. I'm going to chalk it up to him just being caught up in the moment.

I noticed that too. I wish he had not have done that.

As a person who lives right outside Austin (Bastrop), not all of Austin is liberal, there is a conservative part (go to the east or west sides) It is weird and yes I love it. Yes I am a conservative, yes the liberals get most of the attention. But it is not purgatory, it is a good place to live, and as for my family a good place to raise kids. My son is a huge Texas fan he choose to go to A&M due to his major. Life takes all kinds and as for me I learn from all, even the liberals

I disagree I hated living around Austin, but I do agree there is good folk down there. As a whole most Austinians reek of liberalism, and what is bad is they do not know it. Now i do think Hillcountry people and Austinians are two diffrent breeds and I like me the Hillcountry women so much I married one.

And back on topic I think the horns down thing is poor taste and if anybody thinks it is best for kids to stay in state then those same people should probabbly route for in state schools. IMO Texas citizens should root for Texas teams. Becuase aint it all about the kids.

In principle, I agree with you. Practically, and viscerally, there is NO WAY that I can in good conscience root for Texas. That is the truth, just how it is...

In a heated, hated rivalry such as is the RRR, I would bet that that is the prevailing mindset.

I rooted for OU in all their BCS games. I hate OU only when Texas plays them.

Well guys, my Longhorns lost, but I am proud of them for the way they fought back and were right there late with a chance to win it. Alabama made the plays when they had to to win the game.

Congratulations to the 2009 National Champion Alabama Crimson Tide.

And back on topic I think the horns down thing is poor taste ....

I am another Horn fan opponent who is always bemused by the vitriol that the "horns down" arouses in the Horn faithful. I just don't get it?

Let's examine it a little:

When Texas fans raise their hands with the Horns symbol, that, to me, is what it is, a symbol for a Longhorn "hooking" the opponent with his horns. A statement, if you will, that "We are Texas, get out of the way or get gored!"

As a rival fan, (and ONLY when we are playing Texas), I feel that it is VERY appropriate to respond in kind by making the Horns down symbol, which means, "my team is gonna bulldog your ugly old Bevo!", thus, HORNS DOWN! Simple, QED.

No disrespect intended, unless Longhorn fans feel that all other fanbases should kneel down and worship at the feet of Longhorn nation, and concede that their team will, indeed, get the Horn from UT.

Oh, wait, that DOES seem to be the mindset of most Horn fans..... :rolleyes:

I will repeat, I do not see eye-to-eye with many other Sooner fans who feel that the Horns down signal is appropriate anytime, anywhere.

Only on game day, when we are competing.

The upside down Longhorn sign by other players really doesn't bother me at all. Its no big deal to me.

The ones that seem to do it the most are the ones that Texas didn't recruit as heavily as they would have liked (McElroy and such) or the ones that wanted to go to Texas and weren't recruited at all.

Horns down makes me mad every time I see it. It's just that it is complete and total disrespect for UT. Ok, so maybe they didn't recruit you or something. If you're playing at OU or Alabama I'd say your doing just fine in your college football career. Get over it! It also seems a lot of Texas boys who went elsewhere love to do the horns down sign when playing UT.

I've always hated it and always will. I don't want to go buy an OU magnetic symbol and put it on my vehicle upside down because I'm a Longhorn fan. I want to have UT stuff on my truck not stuff to disrespect and degrade my favorite team's biggest rival.

I also hate the "saw 'em off" stickers a lot of the Ag fans have on their rides. Get an A&M sticker and put it on there, but not something to bash UT.

Makes me mad. Show support for your own school, and not by bashing UT in some form.

Horns down makes me mad every time I see it. It's just that it is complete and total disrespect for UT. Ok, so maybe they didn't recruit you or something. If you're playing at OU or Alabama I'd say your doing just fine in your college football career. Get over it! It also seems a lot of Texas boys who went elsewhere love to do the horns down sign when playing UT.

I've always hated it and always will. I don't want to go buy an OU magnetic symbol and put it on my vehicle upside down because I'm a Longhorn fan. I want to have UT stuff on my truck not stuff to disrespect and degrade my favorite team's biggest rival.

I also hate the "saw 'em off" stickers a lot of the Ag fans have on their rides. Get an A&M sticker and put it on there, but not something to bash UT.

Makes me mad. Show support for your own school, and not by bashing UT in some form.

I DO support my school. I wear my gear on game day (and many other days), I interact with other OU fans, I cheer my team! I also respond to Horn fans giving me the Hook'em sign by giving them the inverted horns signal, (I've already explained my rationale in the previous post).

I DO agree with you, at least in part: I do not and will not contribute to UT's financial well-being in any way by buying any of their gear so that I can display it upside-down. UT is already one of the most obscenely rich universities in the US, why should I help them?

It seems to me that you feel more angst when you see the "horns down" from players than from opposing fans, or am I misreading you?

As I said, I give the "horns down" on game days, and usually if not always in response to a "hook 'em Horns" sign from a Texas fan. It is a response, not a diss. Get the distinction?

Like I said, I just don't understand you guys on this issue...