Best tuba player in the State of Texas

coach35

If you are thinking of small school tuba, The best tuba player is in area D. It is a 1A school, and is a kid that has made state the past few years with 5A TMEA, not ATSSB. Anyone want to guess, or are we just making shout-outs for our friends? :nowhearthis:

If you are thinking of small school tuba, The best tuba player is in area D. It is a 1A school, and is a kid that has made state the past few years with 5A TMEA, not ATSSB. Anyone want to guess, or are we just making shout-outs for our friends? :nowhearthis:

yeah i live in houston and that kid was in the Texas Music Festival this summer...think he might of been the only one in high school..

He meant in the whole state of texas. What was he supposed to call this thread "Best Tuba player in the area of Texas?

That was my polite way of correcting his mistake. He has to make 1st chair once he tries out at the state level in February in order for anyone to claim that he is the best in the state. Qualifying for state at the area level doesn't really mean anything other than that they made one of the two all-state bands. And as someone else pointed out, that only includes A, AA, and AAA...not AAAA and AAAAA. So it is a pretty illigitament claim to "being the best" and is a bit presumptuous.

Thanks to titanz for also being familiar with the process.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ATSSB State Tuba section - Symphonic Band:

Logan Stalcup, Celina (Senior 3-year All-State) **Clearly the best in the opinion of most players and directors who heard the tryout; chairs 2 - 8 were toss-ups)

Corey Walden, Fredericksburg

Trevin Harris, Pittsburg (Senior 3-year All-State)

Alejandro Vidal, Jr., Rio Hondo

Patrick R. Gres, Giddings

Gregory Payne, Pleasant Grove

Robert Caston, Shelbyville

David E. Rogers, Jr., Tulia

Forrest Gates, Columbus

Zach McCullough, Kaufer (Senior 4-year All-State)

Concert Band:

Charles Hill, Lubbock-Cooper

Jasper White, Palestine

Mykel Byersmith, Vernon

Steven Cyrus Rodriguez, Crystal City

Christian Gonzales, Monahans

Jonathan Clark, Argyle

Jaime Hernandez, Troy

Alex Pruzon, Rosebud-Lott

Caleb Weaverling, Greenwood

Danielle Welch, S&S

(This information came from the 2010 ATSSB band program.)

ATSSB State Tuba section - Symphonic Band:

Logan Stalcup, Celina (Senior 3-year All-State) **Clearly the best in the opinion of most players and directors who heard the tryout; chairs 2 - 8 were toss-ups)

Corey Walden, Fredericksburg

Trevin Harris, Pittsburg (Senior 3-year All-State)

Alejandro Vidal, Jr., Rio Hondo

Patrick R. Gres, Giddings

Gregory Payne, Pleasant Grove

Robert Caston, Shelbyville

David E. Rogers, Jr., Tulia

Forrest Gates, Columbus

Zach McCullough, Kaufer (Senior 4-year All-State)

Concert Band:

Charles Hill, Lubbock-Cooper

Jasper White, Palestine

Mykel Byersmith, Vernon

Steven Cyrus Rodriguez, Crystal City

Christian Gonzales, Monahans

Jonathan Clark, Argyle

Jaime Hernandez, Troy

Alex Pruzon, Rosebud-Lott

Caleb Weaverling, Greenwood

Danielle Welch, S&S

(This information came from the 2010 ATSSB band program.)

These are the best A-AA-and AAA tuba players in our state and congratulations to them all.

• 1 month later...

With regards to Trevin Harris, how many excellent Tuba players can also play the piccolo?

Wasn't he the player that went to the sidelines during the Pitt halftime show and played a Piccolo solo?

That's commendable, considering the complete difference in embouchure.

With regards to Trevin Harris, how many excellent Tuba players can also play the piccolo?

Wasn't he the player that went to the sidelines during the Pitt halftime show and played a Piccolo solo?

That's commendable, considering the complete difference in embouchure.

I think it was a piccolo solo, that he played on his tuba.

He played the solo on a picolo, not the tuba, I saw their performance at NAAMB.

Unless there was some smoke and mirrors because I didn't see anyone come to the sidelines, or he had a piccolo up his sleeve...I am not quite sure the piccoloist was Tevin Harris. Maybe someone from Pitt can set us straight?

NAMMB video ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzpzW83BK7Y

Unless there was some smoke and mirrors because I didn't see anyone come to the sidelines, or he had a piccolo up his sleeve...I am not quite sure the piccoloist was Tevin Harris. Maybe someone from Pitt can set us straight?

it was this year 2009 NAMMB that he did it...not 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMlsRJqoa3Y

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One of our assistant directors went to the sideline and gave Tevin the piccolo. He also played a tuba solo in the out-strain of Chicago World's Fair that was the exact same as the piccolo solo, but you couldn't hear it very well because the crowd and the rest of the band were loud.

• 3 months later...