FINALLY! The NCAA Investigation of USC is Complete

KirtFalcon

No wonder Pete Carroll is taking a hike. I wonder how many of their recruits will jump ship! - KF

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...o&type=lgns

NCAA probe of USC complete

By Charles Robinson and Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 37 minutes ago

After almost four years of investigation, the NCAA’s probe into the University of Southern California athletic program has reached a conclusion. Sources familiar with the investigation have told Yahoo! Sports that the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions will meet Feb. 19-21 to address what investigators uncovered at USC. According to typical NCAA procedures, if sanctions are necessary, they will be determined and then made public via a news conference within six to eight weeks of the February hearing.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn declined comment. The NCAA’s website indicates the next meeting of the Committee on Infractions will occur Feb. 19-21 in Tempe, Ariz.

Neither USC nor Pac-10 officials could be immediately reached for comment.

The meeting will be the apex in the NCAA’s probe into USC’s athletic program, as it represents the first determination on whether sanctions should be leveled against the school. The determination on a hearing date also indicates USC has received a letter of allegations from the NCAA and that the school has responded in some way. According to NCAA procedures, schools informed of infractions have at least 90 days to respond. After the response period has expired, a case summary is completed and a date is set for the Committee on Infractions to meet and determine whether there is a basis for sanctioning.

The NCAA’s investigation of USC has been ongoing since April 2006, when a series of Yahoo! Sports reports detailed allegations of extra benefits given to running back Reggie Bush and his family by a failed sports marketing company. Since then, the probe has come to encompass former Trojans basketball star O.J. Mayo and the men’s basketball program, after a report by ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” detailed benefits that allegedly had been funneled to Mayo. Former Trojans basketball coach Tim Floyd abruptly resigned after a Yahoo! Sports report detailed an alleged $1,000 cash payment from Floyd to a man who had helped steer Mayo to USC. The investigation is believed to also include Trojans running back Joe McKnight, whose use of a 2006 Land Rover and ties to a marketing entrepreneur in Santa Monica also have come under scrutiny after a recent report in the Los Angeles Times.

Recent developments at USC, including its decision to self-sanction its basketball program, appear to have occurred after the Trojans received the NCAA’s letter of allegations. News of the hearing also indicates that former Trojans football coach Pete Carroll has been aware for weeks of the specific violations the NCAA may be alleging against his program. Carroll resigned as USC football coach on Sunday and has been named coach of the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks.

The NCAA probe has stretched beyond individual athletes, widening its focus to USC’s control of its sports programs, as well as various aspects of compliance and oversight, according to sources. It is expected to make conclusions on USC’s institutional control and whether the school had the proper checks and balances in place to oversee its athletes.

USC already sanctioned itself for NCAA violations during the 2007-08 season related to Mayo allegedly having accepted benefits from known sports agency runner Rodney Guillory. The penalties levied by USC included a ban on postseason play, a reduction of scholarships, recruiting restrictions and the vacation of all victories from the 2007-08 season. Both Mayo, through his agent, and Floyd have denied wrongdoing.

Let's see now ... forfeit all wins and national championships during the Reggie Bush era .... Downtown Athletic Club strips Reggie of his Heisman .... maybe no football scholarships for 4 years .... no bowl games for 3 years .... no tv games for 3 years ... no pro USC ESPN analysts .... what else?

Let's see now ... forfeit all wins and national championships during the Reggie Bush era .... Downtown Athletic Club strips Reggie of his Heisman .... maybe no football scholarships for 4 years .... no bowl games for 3 years .... no tv games for 3 years ... no pro USC ESPN analysts .... what else?

Maybe they completely cancel football and take 25 years before returning to a bowl-the Hawaii bowl. If bowls are gone by then, it takes an additional 25 years to return to the playoffs. by then ESPN will be a poor, broke down network playing second fiddle to versus and changing its name to the "Tebow Network"

Maybe they completely cancel football and take 25 years before returning to a bowl-the Hawaii bowl. If bowls are gone by then, it takes an additional 25 years to return to the playoffs. by then ESPN will be a poor, broke down network playing second fiddle to versus and changing its name to the "Tebow Network"

That would be justice for the SMU Mustangs.

The nation is watching to see if the NCAA has the gonads to slap the trojans with some very stiff penalties. If they don't, they will lose all credibility and should never even attempt to hand out any major penalties to anyone ever again. I say ... give them the death penalty like they did to SMU!

Lack of institutional control is a huge, huge, huge deal to the NCAA. If it were one or two isolated incidents, then self-imposed sanctions would probably have been accepted. Here you have several instances of high-profile athletes in at least two sports being essentially paid to play at USC.

They are going to drop the hammer. The only question is how harsh the punishment will be. While USC is one of the most recognizable football programs in the NCAA, they aren't going to be immune to penalties. In fact, I think the NCAA will be particularly harsh this time around as a sign that no program is above the law. I think it would scare the heck out of programs and would cut down on a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes. This generation of programs needs another SMU...I hope it is Southern Cal.

i just see people hate on usc...

if the investigation would have taken this long we would have heard something. but nothing has been said and that leads me to believe its not that big of a deal. with lane kiffin coming back and norm chow and oregeron, the band is back together and gonna be ready for a national championship run. they have all the recruiting just as pete carroll did. i heard that tennessee is looking at muschamp so hold on to your socks texas fans. if muschamp goes i bet some other texas coaches go. so do the national championship hopes. but i dont think usc will have that big of a drawback from the investigation.

fight on!