Van FB Coach

WingDig

Why would they wait? Doesnt that put them behind? I ask because I see where Canton has posted their job.

You cant post a job until someone officially resigns. Van's AD last day is not until Feb. 9. Canton AD was hired on the spot and he resigned the day after he was hired in Palestine!!!!

I haven't heard his name come up. I have heard a couple other pretty good names being floated around but won't discuss on this board.....one of them is probably the same guy SLuGO mentioned. There is some interest in the job though.

i hear that gilmers oc is into the job. is this true. the guy is a genuis and could do alot

Gilmer OC would not have the same caliber of players that Gilmer suits up... Not sure it would be a good fit... How about finding a coach at the 2A or 3A level that has won with the same caliber of player's at Van. Not a lot of speed or size.

Gilmer OC would not have the same caliber of players that Gilmer suits up... Not sure it would be a good fit... How about finding a coach at the 2A or 3A level that has won with the same caliber of player's at Van. Not a lot of speed or size.

I'm not sure any 3A schools "have the same caliber of players that Gilmer suits up" but Van has some good athletes and speed hasn't really been problem the past few years. The 4x100 relay team went to state recently. It is true Van normally doesn't have a lot of size and if your comparing Van to Gilmer in the number of D1 football players then yeah we don't measure up...but who does? I understand what your saying about "a good fit" and finding a successful coach that got it done with avg athletes may be way to go (if you can find one) but I don't think you can dissregard a coach just because he's had success with great players.

lets start by saying that van has extreme speed, and van made the state qaurterfinals two years ago and started this year ranked in the top 15. but no van does not have size and i am not saying we have the athletes that gilmer has but still has lots of talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you have to find the coach that coaches to the type players you have, Over the years I seen so many schools go for the big names and they are not succesful. Just because someone has sucess at one place doesn't mean he will at the next place . Most coaches come with the type of offense and defense they have had success with. Then ask the kids to change t0 their style, You may have some talent but it may not fit the style of coaching. Just see to many people looking at where they come from instead of their styles when they look for a coach. I hope Van luck with finding the right coach.

think everyone agrees in some strange way.. agree that you don't throw out coaches.. but, and just a thought.. i see where Spring Hill brought in the Coordinator from South Lake Carroll. Have no clue on his background, so just trying to show a view here... This guy, which I am sure is a great coach, may be use to coaching 5A ball. Small schools are completely different. Not the x's and o's but everything else, from #'s to structure. Hope he has success (which he better do it in pre district! lol.), but..

Van and it's exxxtreeemmme speed? ok. Everyone thinks of Van in East Texas when they think of speed. The State track meet in the 400... One of those is at Oklahoma now..a talent that Van gets once or twice every 20 years.

think everyone agrees in some strange way.. agree that you don't throw out coaches.. but, and just a thought.. i see where Spring Hill brought in the Coordinator from South Lake Carroll. Have no clue on his background, so just trying to show a view here... This guy, which I am sure is a great coach, may be use to coaching 5A ball. Small schools are completely different. Not the x's and o's but everything else, from #'s to structure. Hope he has success (which he better do it in pre district! lol.), but..

Van and it's exxxtreeemmme speed? ok. Everyone thinks of Van in East Texas when they think of speed. The State track meet in the 400... One of those is at Oklahoma now..a talent that Van gets once or twice every 20 years.

Van people have a different perspective than those on the outside. I think their expectations are a little off from what they have actually done. Don't compare Van to a Gilmer. Could Van be like Gilmer, yes I think it can be.

It all comes down to talent. In the 3A and below talent changes over the years. Van has a good program for several years. I think they will be competive in the future. But you could bring in Mack Brown and doesn't mean a State Champs title. Gilmer is having a great run and it may last for a long time because of the kids they have to choose from. I can remeber several years ago Grand Saline had a great run. Talent changes and they have a rough few years. But you never know in a small school 3 or 4 players can bring on a change.

Does anyone know if or when they will post this job?

The job will not be posted until February 10th, which will be the day after Brady Pennington signs his contract at New Caney Porter High School.

David Smoak

I'm not sure any 3A schools "have the same caliber of players that Gilmer suits up" but Van has some good athletes and speed hasn't really been problem the past few years. The 4x100 relay team went to state recently. It is true Van normally doesn't have a lot of size and if your comparing Van to Gilmer in the number of D1 football players then yeah we don't measure up...but who does? I understand what your saying about "a good fit" and finding a successful coach that got it done with avg athletes may be way to go (if you can find one) but I don't think you can dissregard a coach just because he's had success with great players.

Great points made here! I really believe whoever we hire wants to be here and that is the main thing. We have alot of great kids here and a few with SIZE and SPEED and TALENT to be special.All we need is people to go to sleep on Van and we will sneak up on them. wait and see!!!!

The job will not be posted until February 10th, which will be the day after Brady Pennington signs his contract at New Caney Porter High School.

David Smoak

What will Pennington's job be at New Caney Porter? Is he going to be a coordinator or is there plans on making him AD over the two high schools?