Best HS Player You've Seen

Switchblade

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've really enjoyed watching both Malcome Kennedy and Traylon Shead. Both great young men who should do well at the next level.

I did see Javorskie Lane from Lufkin in a playoff game in which he scored a rushing td, caught a pass for a td, threw a pass for and td and also performed the punting duties!!

If this thread was meant as overall athlete, and not just football, then David Green of L-K(graduated in 1982)

All district WR in football

Starter on state runners-up in basketball(i think all district, not sure)

Full time starter in baseball for 3 years(2 years all district)---including starting on the state championship team his soph. more year

District meet in the high jump told the officials to set the bar at 7 feet and cleared the height---they then decided to measure for accuracy, and called it 6"11 3/4"-----finished 2nd in state in the high jump and the long jump

Not trying to hijack the thread and make it a Marcus Dupree thread, but people jsut don't realize this guy was 6'3" 225 and busting 4.4 legit 40's..

IF you want to see how one of the top recruits in the history of college football was recruited, this is a nice little read, esspecially for you CFB junkies..

http://www.amazon.com/Courting-Marcus-Dupr...s/dp/0878055851

ESPN will have a documentery about him this year on one of it's 30 for 30 series..

It isn't who is the best it is the best YOU have ever seen.

I remember a player that played for Kilgore back in the 1990's. I think his last name was Nix, and he signed with Notre Dame after high school. He was one of the best defensive backs I can recall that played at the high school level. He was a beast. If you are from Kilgore and remember him, I may not have his name right, but I remember him as the player.

Pretty surprised that nobody has mentioned Will Middlebrooks from Libery Eylau.

Was there ever a player who meant more to his teams success than him? QB, SS, K, P.... I saw a couple people say LJ but without Middlebrooks LJ was one and done in the playoffs.

Not to mention an insanely talented baseball player. Who is currently ranked the #26 prospect of the Boston Redsox. Redsox Prospect list There is only one other 3B listed ahead of him.

Who can really top that?

(btw, I will say that the best player that I ever shared the field with (or probably that shared the field with me, lol) has got to be a toss up between LJ and Stump)

I remember a player that played for Kilgore back in the 1990's. I think his last name was Nix, and he signed with Notre Dame after high school. He was one of the best defensive backs I can recall that played at the high school level. He was a beast. If you are from Kilgore and remember him, I may not have his name right, but I remember him as the player.

This young mans name was Ronnie Nicks. Played free safety and would rip your head off!!!

Great person, heck of an athlete

Pretty surprised that nobody has mentioned Will Middlebrooks from Libery Eylau.

Was there ever a player who meant more to his teams success than him? QB, SS, K, P.... I saw a couple people say LJ but without Middlebrooks LJ was one and done in the playoffs.

Not to mention an insanely talented baseball player. Who is currently ranked the #26 prospect of the Boston Redsox. Redsox Prospect list There is only one other 3B listed ahead of him.

Who can really top that?

(btw, I will say that the best player that I ever shared the field with (or probably that shared the field with me, lol) has got to be a toss up between LJ and Stump)

May not top it but I can get close. Shane Lechler started 4 years as QB, MLB, K, P for East Bernard in the mid 90's. Went to TAMU as a quarterback, and ended up becoming one of the best, if not the best punters in the NFL. He was 6'3" 230 then, and ran a legit 4.6, I saw a highlight of him getting beat to the corner by some returner this year, and couldn't help but laugh. I guess age, and hamburgers gets to us all. Shane was a freak back then, not to many kickers could put it out the back of the endzone, stuff the run for a 2 yard loss, and throw a ball 70+ yards.

Probably not the best all time players but from what I've seen with my own eyes I would have to say David King - Daingerfield LB, Stephen Hodge - Tatum, Stump Godfrey - Gilmer, Jerome Lee - Daingerfield, Montoya Brown - Daingerfield, Jamarrio Thomas - Spring Hill, Derrick Blaylock - Atlanta, Jeramiah Trotter - Hooks, Travian Smith - Tatum, Anthony Hodge - Tatum. I've seen many great players, but these all stick out in my mind.

Cary Brabham-HS-87,88 could run around you or over you and enjoyed doing both. Played at SMU and Oakland. Darrin Terry-HS-86,87 was the best high school athlete i've ever seen. If you threw a ball anywhere near him, he was gonna catch it. Could flat jump outa the gym. Played Basketball and/or Football at A@M,TJC, and won a National Championship at Oklahoma City University in basketball. Quan Cosby-Mart is a great one. Another guy that may not be remembered by many outside of ND but was a great, elusive runner for ND was Yukalis Brown. Not sure if he went on to play at the next level or not but he was a good rb in high school. Old Willie got the best out of that kid. Its hard to pick just one. LOL

Chavis McCollister from Tenaha...that kid was a monster on the football field, basketball court, and could throw about 90 off the mound...probably the most amazing player I was ever fortunate enough to watch.

I saw Chavis in a game against Logansport in 96. If I remember right, the final score was 62-58 Logansport, but what was amazing was what Chavis did. He did everything. He ran, he passed, he played outstanding defense with at least 15 tackles and I think had a couple of ints. He caught punts and kickoffs. I think the only unit he wasn't on was kickoff coverage, and that's just cuz Raymond Jackson didn't want to get him hurt. He was off the field for maybe 4 snaps the whole game, and left it all on the field. I also saw Larry Centers and Larry Horton play for Tatum in 85. I wasn't old enough to really understand the game at the time, all I remember is Joaquin just couldn't tackle #5 or #21 to saver their life.