Smoaky's "People's Choice" Illegal Chili

Smoaky

I was fortunate enough to win the "People's Choice Award" at the 2008 Rose City Chili Cook Off --- knowing in advance most of my ingredients weren't legal for a true chili cook off. Chunks of meat, sausage, lots of diced onions and peppers and Lord knows what else.

I've been asked about the recipe so why not post it on my own site.

If you have any questions---send me an email.

Smoaky

[email protected]

-----

A lot depends on how many people you're cooking for, but let's use the ingredients for one very large pot that could feed several people.

You'll need the following ingredients:

*3-4 tablespoons of olive oil "or" 1 stick of margarine or butter

*1 large onion (Diced)

*One green pepper (Diced) (use about half of it)

*Two cans of diced Rotel tomatoes (regular rotel or even the new Chili Fixin's Can)

*One can of Cajun or Mexican Style Rotel or Diced Tomatoes

*One can of whole stewed tomatoes

*One 16 oz. can of red kidney beans

*One 16 oz. can of regular ranch style beans

*One 16 oz. can of ranch style beans with jalepenos

*One 12 oz. can of ranch style beans with onions

*Four large bottles of whole mushrooms (button mushrooms)

*One large can or bottle of sliced mushrooms (pieces and stems)

*One bottle of Bama Grape Jelly (You'll use 1/2-3/4 of the bottle)

*One package of ground sirloin or hamburger meat or ground venison (2-pounds)(Chili Meat Ground Style)

*One large package/tube of Owens or Jimmy Dean sausage (any spice, regular, etc.)

*One package of Earl Campbell's regular sausage (Diced at your preferred size)(use half package)

*One package of Earl Campbell's hot links (use 2-3 links)(Diced)

*One package of Johnsonville Mild Italian sausage or Bratwurst

*Two packages of Johnsonville Spicey Italian Sausage

*Pre-cooked venison sausage, preferably cajun smoked sausage (OPTIONAL)

Actual Directions

Start by warming the olive oil or margarine in large pot

1) Add sliced/diced onion and sliced and diced green peppers on medium heat---Saute' approximately 5-minutes.

2) Break-up the package of ground sirloin and ground sausage and cook in the sauteed onions and peppers until done. I prefer cooking the Owens or Dean Sausage first, and then add the hamburger meat...gives the sausage a little more time to cook.

You can decide whether or not to drain the oil or not...some do, some don't....I'd do this, because if you don't, and you refrigerate and re-heat....you won't have to deal with nearly as much of the "orange" film-layer on top of the beans. But you can always skim that orange film (fat that cools) from the beans the next day.

After the meat is cooked and sauteed with the onions and green peppers....

3) Add the can/bottle of sliced and whole button mushrooms and stir enough to blend in well. If you really like mushrooms, you can always add another can or bottle. I love them, and I can't put enough in them. It's your call. I'd cook the mushrooms for about 8-10 minutes until there's a slight bubble of heat.

4) Add and stir in all the cans of Rotel tomatoes, stewed tomatoes and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes.

5) Add and stir in kidney beans, regular ranch style beans, onion flavored ranch style beans, and Jalepeno flavored ranch style beans and simmer for approximately 25-30 minutes on medium heat.

6) During this initial process, be sure to have the Johnsonville Sausage, or Venison on the grill or smoker to be used at a later time. The venison should have been cooked during the processing so all you need to do is warm that up. The Johnsonville needs to be cooked thoroughly.

7) Add about 1/2 of the bottle of Bama Grape Jelly....and mix around long enough to eliminate any large chunks of jelly. You must be sure to add the jelly "after" the ingredients have become warm enough to dissolve the jelly....and cook, on low heat for 10-15 minutes. I wouldn't stir too much...let the jelly dissolve with the natural heat.

8) Add Earl Campbell's regular sausage and hot links (sliced to your convenience or into small round circles and/or diced/square pieces) and mix them into the beans/chili. Let that cook for approximately 15-20 minutes on medium heat while simmering.

9) Cut up the Johnsonville sausage into fairly large chunks (about 1/2-3/4 inch thick)...you don't have to slice perfectly just cut into chunks. On medium heat let simmer for 15-20 minutes or even longer.

If this recipe isn't spicy enough....you can always add an extra can of Rotel tomatoes...or toss in a few fresh Jalepeno peppers on top and let simmer.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email.

David Smoak

[email protected]

• Like 1

The grape jelly has me thinking that i might be talking about the chili not beans. idk.

The recipe above is what we served at Cowboys Camp and the Hole in One.

Let me know if you try it or need help.

David Smoak

Holy heck, that sounds like that'd set you on fire!!!!!!! LOL!

And jelly in chili......well, guess if it works, it works... WOW!

Actually, it has a kick to it---but not spicy to where it's unpleasant. My son, Craig doesn't like real spicy food but he loves the beans/chili and has never mentioned it being too spicy. You can kick it up a notch as you wish.

The grape jelly is the secret ingredient that is the difference-maker.

If you don't use the jelly, it's still pretty good...the jelly gives it a little sweet taste that's a little different.

David Smoak

• 1 month later...
:hmm: If jelly works in a chilli just think how much more better cool whip would make it!!!! :yelp:

hmmm..... great idea!!!! i love cool whip regularly. in a recipe like that it would be amazing.

Never thought of putting jelly in a chili. Now you have forced me to have to try this.

Thanks Smoak!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

That looks like the makins' of some fine chili but my vision of "illegal-chili" ingredients and my actual ingredient preferences are quite different than those posted on this sight. I would post my ingredient here but am afraid the ATF, game wardens and the tax men may be more interested in the contents than you guys would be.

• LOL! 1