Tiger to break silence on Friday...

Smoaky

Woods to speak to group Friday

ESPN.com news services

Tiger Woods will break his silence Friday, at which time he will speak to a small circle of confidantes in Florida and apologize for his behavior and discuss his plans for the future.

According to a statement issued by his agent, Mark Steinberg, and his spokesman, Glenn Greenspan, "Tiger Woods will be speaking to a small group of friends, colleagues and close associates at [11 a.m. ET Friday] at the TPC Sawgrass Clubhouse in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. Tiger plans to discuss his past and his future and he plans to apologize for his behavior."

Woods has been on an indefinite break from golf and hasn't spoken publicly since crashing his SUV outside his home on Nov. 27, which was followed by media reports detailing extramarital affairs. Woods has since said he's been unfaithful to his wife, Elin.

"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart," Woods said in a December posting to his Web site. "I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family."

Woods, who has 71 PGA Tour victories and 14 major titles, announced on Dec. 11 that he was taking an indefinite leave from golf.

After learning what I did today, it's contrived. Accenture was the first sponsor to drop Tiger as a figurehead. Tiger has dropped very far in my ranking him as a golfer, and an individual. Tiger decided to one up the Accenture tournament this weekend, with his lame apology. He won't take any questions.

Tiger is worse than T.O. .

If his P.R. firm doesn't realize this they're dumber than dirt. Tiger could have been the greatest golfer in the world. Tiger will be loved by a few, but will any of us look at him the same, after this fiasco. We all make mistakes Tiger was adored by many fans, but this trumps all that he's done on the fairways and greens. He's a little girl, that is trying to show that he's better than his own sponsors. His public relations department evidently doesn't care what kind of image Tiger Woods is making. I was going to forgive him, but after this Tiger is an epic failure.

Outside of his family, his sponsors and the PGA Tour, who exactly does he owe an apology too? And out of those groups, don't they all deserve a private, sincere one?

ESPN will have the news conference on about every different venue that they have. I think that's ridiculous.

If I judged all of my sports watcching based on the moral character of the participants, then I would probably never watch. If you ever bought a Tiger Woods product because he did the commercial for it, did you do that because he was a great golfer or because he was monogomous?

I hope that he comes from his heart, and he doesn't sound scripted. If it comes off as scripted, he's going to be the butt of jokes for many years. If he comes off as sincere, I think most American's will be able to forgive and forget.

It really does not matter. It is his business. I just watched his news conference. He took full responsibilty. It does not matter how we perceive his speech. It is none of our business. Let him be and focus on your own shortcomings. Let it end here and now. Get a life and stop trying to live his.

Same goes for anyone else that has been unfaithful to their spouse. It's a family matter. Period.

BTW: I have never been a fan of Tiger. Anyone who has been playing a sport since they could walk should be very good at it.

Its my understanding, Tiger has been in treatment for the past 45 days. He had a week off this week to see and spend time with his kids. He will return to treatment tomorrow, so today was the day he chose to address the world. He thanked his "friends at Accenture" and the competitors at the tournament this week for allowing him to do this today. I dont think it will hurt the tournament anymore than it has already been hurt by his absence. I find it really hard to believe he is trying to screw Accenture over by having his press conference today. How could he be sincere with his apologies and be trying to screw Accenture over at the same time? Hes got to be smarter than that.

I always wondered what religion Tiger was, because you never see or hear him give any praise to God, interesting to hear that he practiced the Buddhist faith.

To be honest, the only times Ive ever heard him mention the Lord, has been in blasphemy after a bad shot. :thumbdown:

Its my understanding, Tiger has been in treatment for the past 45 days. He had a week off this week to see and spend time with his kids. He will return to treatment tomorrow, so today was the day he chose to address the world. He thanked his "friends at Accenture" and the competitors at the tournament this week for allowing him to do this today. I dont think it will hurt the tournament anymore than it has already been hurt by his absence. I find it really hard to believe he is trying to screw Accenture over by having his press conference today. How could he be sincere with his apologies and be trying to screw Accenture over at the same time. Hes got to be smarter than that.

I think he was somewhat sincere, and somewhat scripted. I wish there was a law that would not allow paparazzi to harass anyone's family and private life. I know Gov. AHHHHHNOLDDD is working on passing a law that would limit their access to these people, it just hasn't gone through yet.

I did notice that Tiger basically repeated himself about 3-4 times on just about every subject at different points of his speech. Overall, I think it will go over well.

After learning what I did today, it's contrived. Accenture was the first sponsor to drop Tiger as a figurehead. Tiger has dropped very far in my ranking him as a golfer, and an individual. Tiger decided to one up the Accenture tournament this weekend, with his lame apology. He won't take any questions.

Tiger is worse than T.O. .

If his P.R. firm doesn't realize this they're dumber than dirt. Tiger could have been the greatest golfer in the world. Tiger will be loved by a few, but will any of us look at him the same, after this fiasco. We all make mistakes Tiger was adored by many fans, but this trumps all that he's done on the fairways and greens. He's a little girl, that is trying to show that he's better than his own sponsors. His public relations department evidently doesn't care what kind of image Tiger Woods is making. I was going to forgive him, but after this Tiger is an epic failure.

I doubt very seriously whether he cares if you forgive him or not.He's still the best golfer in the world and he doesn't owe you an apology.The only people he owes anything to are his family.The rest of us he owes nothing to.So much of our society trys to put elite athletes on a pedastal when they don't deserve it or probably even want it.If you got your feelings hurt over what he's done then you have your own issues.He is human just like every one of us here.

I think he was somewhat sincere, and somewhat scripted. I wish there was a law that would not allow paparazzi to harass anyone's family and private life. I know Gov. AHHHHHNOLDDD is working on passing a law that would limit their access to these people, it just hasn't gone through yet.

I did notice that Tiger basically repeated himself about 3-4 times on just about every subject at different points of his speech. Overall, I think it will go over well.

There was one selling point to me early in his apology, and that was when he acknowledged that words wouldnt mean anything. Only his actions from here out will matter. He seemed to really get that.

I watched most of the speech and I thought it was sincere. If he sounded "scripted" to anyone, he's not a public speaker so why expect him to be?

Good speech and he seemed to really believe what he was saying. I just hope he can get his personal life straightened out and keep his family together.

Is he sorry for what he did, or that he got caught? :hmm: It's a good thing he did get caught when he did, who knows where this situation really could have ended up. Interesting points when he talked about how the money and fame made him feel, like he was entitled to do what he wanted. You have to believe he is not the ONLY one.

Is he sorry for what he did, or that he got caught? :hmm: It's a good thing he did get caught when he did, who knows where this situation really could have ended up. Interesting points when he talked about how the money and fame made him feel, like he was entitled to do what he wanted. You have to believe he is not the ONLY one.

I guarantee he is not the only athlete/celebrity that feels he was "entitled" as he put it. Unfortunately, money and fame can do some strange things too a person, and a lot of the things aren't very good sometimes.

Interesting points when he talked about how the money and fame made him feel, like he was entitled to do what he wanted. You have to believe he is not the ONLY one.

Yeah, I agree. I cant ever remember a celebrity/sports star say they thought they were entitled to relish in all the temptations that surround them.

What if other athletes (particularly in baseball) would have just come out and said....look, I did what I did and it was wrong. I thought that the rules didnt apply to me. Im sorry, please forgive me. :icon_confused:

It really does not matter. It is his business. I just watched his news conference. He took full responsibilty. It does not matter how we perceive his speech. It is none of our business. Let him be and focus on your own shortcomings. Let it end here and now. Get a life and stop trying to live his.

Same goes for anyone else that has been unfaithful to their spouse. It's a family matter. Period.

BTW: I have never been a fan of Tiger. Anyone who has been playing a sport since they could walk should be very good at it.

That's why I brought out my second opinion on the event. It should have been between him and his family, not for the world to see. Tiger doesn't owe me an apology, I could care less. What he tried to do is upstage a golf tournament, with this unnecessary news conference.

I watched it about 5 minutes of it, when I got home today. Because that's all they've been talking about on one of the radio stations I listen to. I wanted to form my own opinion about it. I think Tiger should have already spoke to his family, friends, and sponsors. He didn't have to make a spectacle of himself by reading a prepared statement written for him by his p.r. firm. This was simply a publicity stunt. We all know what Tiger did, and today one of his nookie girls had to try to upstage Tigers little news conference.

Tiger has a lot of things to work out with his wife and family. To do this today, just shows how he is. Some of the ardent Golf fans in bama pointed out that he'll be probably come back for Arnie's tourny, and get some tips from Arnie on how to manipulate the media and fans.

I think this was event was contrived, scripted, and we had robot Tiger reading a prepared statement, when he should have already handled his business with his family.

That's why I brought out my second opinion on the event. It should have been between him and his family, not for the world to see. Tiger doesn't owe me an apology, I could care less. What he tried to do is upstage a golf tournament, with this unnecessary news conference.

I watched it about 5 minutes of it, when I got home today. Because that's all they've been talking about on one of the radio stations I listen to. I wanted to form my own opinion about it. I think Tiger should have already spoke to his family, friends, and sponsors. He didn't have to make a spectacle of himself by reading a prepared statement written for him by his p.r. firm. This was simply a publicity stunt. We all know what Tiger did, and today one of his nookie girls had to try to upstage Tigers little news conference.

Tiger has a lot of things to work out with his wife and family. To do this today, just shows how he is. Some of the ardent Golf fans in bama pointed out that he'll be probably come back for Arnie's tourny, and get some tips from Arnie on how to manipulate the media and fans.

I think this was event was contrived, scripted, and we had robot Tiger reading a prepared statement, when he should have already handled his business with his family.

Just my opinion about your opinion. You've never met the man. I have and I think you're off base.

ALL ATHLETES ARE TRULEY SORRY FOR THEIR WRONG DOINGS.....AFTER,AFTER THEY GET CAUGHT!...AND WISH THEY COULD TURN BACK THE CLOCK AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT....NO,TO TURN BACK THE CLOCK & MAKE SURE THEY DONT GET CAUGHT...I DO BELIVE TIGER IS TRULY SORRY FOR WHAT HE DID BUT LETS FACE IT..IF HE DIDNT GET CAUGHT HE WOULD STILL,STILL BE DOING IT...JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHERS..YES WE SHOULD FORGIVE BUT FORGIVENESS HAS TO BE EARNED, NOT JUST HANDED OUT

ALL ATHLETES ARE TRULEY SORRY FOR THEIR WRONG DOINGS.....AFTER,AFTER THEY GET CAUGHT!...AND WISH THEY COULD TURN BACK THE CLOCK AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT....NO,TO TURN BACK THE CLOCK & MAKE SURE THEY DONT GET CAUGHT...I DO BELIVE TIGER IS TRULY SORRY FOR WHAT HE DID BUT LETS FACE IT..IF HE DIDNT GET CAUGHT HE WOULD STILL,STILL BE DOING IT...JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHERS..YES WE SHOULD FORGIVE BUT FORGIVENESS HAS TO BE EARNED, NOT JUST HANDED OUT

I dont know why you would blanket "ALL ATHLETES" with a statement like that. They are no different than you or I. They make mistakes just like you and I, and when they get caught, they are sorry. Some may only be sorry because they got caught as you say, but there are everyday Joes, like you and I, that are only sorry because they got caught also. Its unfair to say Tiger is only sorry because he got caught. Thats not at all what I heard him say. I heard him say he was wrong for behaving the way he did and he was sorry. As far as your statement about he would still be doing it if he hadnt been caught goes, how many things would you still be doing if you hadnt been caught? Sometimes it takes being caught and exposed to change a person. Give the man a chance.

Just my opinion about your opinion. You've never met the man. I have and I think you're off base.
Then why didn't he have his little news conference the day that the Accenture Tournament started ? As far as I'm concerned, he didn't have to even do this dog and pony show. To me he acted like a jilted girlfriend, and wanted to smash the headlights out of the Accenture Tournament. He's the front page news, not the golf tournament. I realize that Tiger is Golf. He makes the headlines, and he brings in the viewers. He was dumped by Accenture, and I see this as pay back. If Tiger is a private person, then keep your business private. He needs to be working things out with his wife, and I wish him luck with that.

To be honest, I'd rather not hear another thing about Tiger, except what he is or isn't doing on the Golf Course. I've got a feeling this might have broke the aggressiveness in Tiger. We'll see when he comes back

It's only a big deal because of the public idea that they have a right to know.

Why do I have a right to know what Tiger is doing in his world ? Tiger needs to put this behind him, stop catering to the public, and either accept his bad boy image, or be a good boy. He has two choices. He can become a better man, or he can live by the rules of being entitled to the lavish lifestyle. Whatever it is, Just Do It !