Fratdaddy or GDI

Minerva

GDI – Noun/Adjective: Abbreviation/Euphemism for someone who’s not in a fraternity/sorority.

or

Fratdaddy – Noun: A male who is currently active in his fraternity or is continuing a fratty lifestyle after graduation.

Which tag fits you?

Seriously, you mean people still do that?

I'll never forget on my second day at Kilgore JC...a guy, who I went to school with, is out in the grass supposed to be sizzling like bacon... now, seriously, who would want to be a part of something that you have to do something like that? The word "fool" should've been tattooed across his forehead.

obama is your typical frat boy: Lieing with ease, shifting in and out where it benefits him, looking out ONLY for himself, ego driven, good speaker, but empty promises and sweet nothing, as he woos his prey, hangs out with money folks, yep fits him to a t and America fell for his charm.

Back in the Stone Ages when I was in college, we called tham Frat Rats.

What we called the Sorority girls would show up on Smoaky as ######.

SHSU in the late '70's, striving to consume more alcohol per capita than the student body at SFA.

School rivalry at its best.

GDI – Noun/Adjective: Abbreviation/Euphemism for someone who’s not in a fraternity/sorority.

Please, it means "God **** Independent," another words not a member of a fraternity.

For those of us GDI's at Tyler Jr. College in the late-70's, we became known as a lot of things, but somehow we were labeled the "Yangs," and we even came up with a song. We didn't want rules or too many slogans and songs because then we'd be a fraternity.

Most of us couldn't afford to belong to a fraternity, and then again---we didn't like being told what to do---SHOCKER!

We dominated in most of the intramural events and that stung the frat boys...and then we became popular enough where a group of some rather attractive girls on campus wanted to hang with us at night or the weekends or come cheer at our intramural games and they became known as the "Yings."

Get it, "Ying, Yangs?"

Okay, I'm going to bed---that was a long, long time ago and now I have a headache like the good old days.

Smoaky

we didn't like being told what to do---SHOCKER!

Smoaky

That would be the club I was a part of...LOL!

I remember going to the intermurral (sp?) sports at KJC, and watching... was it Newsom - a football player from Hallsville that played for Dallas -- watching his brother, cousin, something or another in baseball....went to the intermurrals all the time, and only one real football game...

I was a GDI at UT-Austin during the mid-to-late 80's. I graduated in 1988. My wife was a "bow head" (Delta Zeta sorority) at SFA during the same time frame. My daughter will be a freshman this fall at UT-Austin and my wife is chatting her up about joining a sorority of which I am totally against. My wife being more of the social butterfly than I am. I am too logical. My wife speaks of all of the friends that you meet through the Greek system! Why pay for your friends? My wife cannot tell you where any of her "sisters" are today or what they are doing. I still keep up with my buddies and see some of them at least once a year at UT football games. I hear that the going rate at UT for the Greek system is at least $3K per year. As if college tiution is not enough. I have no room for any of it.

When I was at Tech, we had certain names for the fratboys and sorority girls that I don't think are acceptable on here. They were the rich kids and a small percentage of the student body.

My kids are there now. Both are in a fraternity/sorority. Difference is, these are for Christians. They are required to be an active member of a church, attend Bible Study each week and attend Study Hall to help with their academics. They do mission work around campus, ie, cleaning the stadium after football games,etc. It has been an amazing experience for both of them and a great way for them to become a part of a group there that has God as their center.

The late "sixties" were quite a ride at NTSU. That is where I started out and had the pleasure of attending three other universities before obtaining my degrees.

I was a GDI. Do not know how we would have had time to make the social circles that we traveled in being fraternity members.

The music of the "sixties" tells most of the story. The "sixties" were good and I guess part of me still dwells there.

Many changes in our society originated in the "sixties". Some were good and others have proven to be detrimental to us.

I had nothing against the Fraternity guys, just couldn't afford to be involved at the time.

Of course, I took advantage of all the "Rush Parties," but then again not too many fraternities were knocking down my door asking me to pledge either.

I enjoyed competing against the Fraternities in all the Intramural sports because they usually had more depth, but we were pretty good too---made for some really interesting trash talking.

I remember my sophomore year, spring semester at Tyler Junior College, it was mid-spring and all the sororities and fraternities were having their various parties at Lake Tyler or Lake Palestine...and so one day I noticed the Delta Upsilon and one of the sororities, maybe Sans Souci or Zeta's (whoever)---were publicizing their upcoming Lake Party---so I couldn't resist and came up with the idea to sabotage the wording on the event board.

Well, we created a stir at one of the buildings to keep the campus police occupied and about 4-5 of us went to the event board behind Jenkins Hall and formed a human ladder to rearrange the letters and words and promoted our Lake Party on the same weekend.

Needless to say, our beloved dorm mother, Mrs. Baker, woke me up the next morning---bright and early with, "David Smoak, David Smoak, Mr. Doggett would like to see you immediately in his office."

Well, I'd known Billy Jack Doggett for many reasons---and one was due to causing trouble, he was the Student Affairs V.P. (he eventually became the TJC athletic director for awhile) and when I walked in the door---there stood Mr. Doggett, Campus Security, the GREAT-Floyd Wagstaff (who I had befriended-thank God), our dorm mother-Mrs. Baker, and a representative from 2-3 of the fraternities and sororities.

Mr. Doggett was trying not to laugh while acting ####, and Coach Wag had a smile on his face----but no one else was laughing.

They told us we were suspended for any on-campus events for the remainder of the semester--but it was late-April and there weren't many events left.

But, I couldn't help it---I argued our case asking how could someone dictate what we could or couldn't do as a group if we weren't an affiliated or official organization.

I asked them to read me the rule(s) in the student handbook...and Coach Wag started walking out the door and said, "Boys, I think Smoaky has a point."

End of suspension, end of story.

Well, except we beat the DU's for the Intramural softball championship the next week...that was sweet!

Smoaky