Rick Reilly on Houston Yates

BCFlash

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably couldn't motivate a group of teenagers to put up 50 on the church elders. Most of the people making negative comments about Yates and their coach are truly reflecting anger from their encounters with the hump.

You can get your 3rd stringers good playing time without fouling at the end of the game just to run up the score on an already embarrassed group of kids. I wouldn't go as far as the writer did about liking to see this man dead, but he deserves some of what he has dished out as far as getting embarrassed. What goes around comes around, and he will get his soon.

I don't follow basketball that much and don't understand it like I do football but how can a team like this be so much better than everybody else? Every now and then a team will get a real stud to come through the program but is this team just loaded or what? Are there any HS football teams that have ever dominated like this and what would be some equivelant scores? And I don't mean football teams like SLC or Celina that have had great runs through the years but a team that just beat the britches off everybody all seson long and caused a big stink like this basketball program has ... :hmm:

I don't follow basketball that much and don't understand it like I do football but how can a team like this be so much better than everybody else? Every now and then a team will get a real stud to come through the program but is this team just loaded or what? Are there any HS football teams that have ever dominated like this and what would be some equivelant scores? And I don't mean football teams like SLC or Celina that have had great runs through the years but a team that just beat the britches off everybody all seson long and caused a big stink like this basketball program has ... :hmm:

He has the majority of the good kids in the city of Houston. Houston ISD has an open policy to attend any school in H.I.S.D if you live in Houston. Basically he recruits Houston hard and they have 3 for sure D1 players that I know of probably more. Some of the schools like Lee that they play are just awful I wouldn't be surprised if their 15th guy has been better other teams best players at some point this year. Yates is pretty much an A.A.U. all star team. You add that with one of the most ruthless and classless men in sports as the dictator this is what you get.

This is a tough one. Should I side with the overzealous coach trying to make a name for himself at the exepense of teenagers or side with the overzealous, sometimes highly controversial journalist trying to sell magazines at the expense of a grown man. It's a no brainer, good article Reilly.

He is paid to make HIS kids better to give them a chance after High School. Quit crying the coach is not classless as the person who wrote that article. Nobody has said anything about Sabine, or Cayuga being the mess out of people. He wins, recruiting or not get off of him for freakin sake. IF he didnt teach his kids to play hard no matter who they are playing they could slip up in the playoffs and be the number 1 team in the nation without a state championship. Get over it hes trying to do what ever coach would do an thats win a state championship, its just how he coaches. Grow up kids will get destroyed by a team at some point in there life, atleast Yates is a national ranked team.

Everybody in the state knows Coach Wise Recruited those guys... Except the UIL... Go Figure!!!

If Houston allows the kids to pick what school they go to and they have played ball togethe growing up obviously they would want to stay together. So accusing him of this is a little classless in itself becaue you dont have any facts to prove it.

I have read alot of posts on this topic as most of us have and it is always hard to say when enough is too much. This whole Yates things started getting out of hand with the 170-35 score. IMO no coach or team should ever do that to another team. That is classless. Trying to win by 100 is classless. It is is pointless to try and do that, that does not do anything for your team what so ever. Reilly is right on with his article, I don't agree with letting Wise be a speed bump, but trying to win by such a large margin is pointless.

I have read alot of posts on this topic as most of us have and it is always hard to say when enough is too much. This whole Yates things started getting out of hand with the 170-35 score. IMO no coach or team should ever do that to another team. That is classless. Trying to win by 100 is classless. It is is pointless to try and do that, that does not do anything for your team what so ever. Reilly is right on with his article, I don't agree with letting Wise be a speed bump, but trying to win by such a large margin is pointless.

So pushing his players hard for the entire game is classless? letting his 3rd string score points is classless? :crybaby:

I agree with you triple, Rick Reilly is dead on, I have watched many coaches win with class, sometimes your third and fourths continue to run scores, I know its hard to tell a kid not to score when he never sees the field or court, but to continue this for the entirety of the season is insane. Karma is a strange animal, and it always comes back to get you. Those coaches in the Houston area will not forget this and someday they will have and will take their shot......and rufus if you've never been inside an intercity school, you have no clue what you are talking about.....if its how he coaches as you put it then he needs to change, it is classless

I agree with you triple, Rick Reilly is dead on, I have watched many coaches win with class, sometimes your third and fourths continue to run scores, I know its hard to tell a kid not to score when he never sees the field or court, but to continue this for the entirety of the season is insane. Karma is a strange animal, and it always comes back to get you. Those coaches in the Houston area will not forget this and someday they will have and will take their shot......and rufus if you've never been inside an intercity school, you have no clue what you are talking about.....if its how he coaches as you put it then he needs to change, it is classless

well lucky for me is that i have. those kids dont have anything and you complain more than they do. Quit being babies about it.

If Houston allows the kids to pick what school they go to and they have played ball togethe growing up obviously they would want to stay together. So accusing him of this is a little classless in itself becaue you dont have any facts to prove it.

Gus never said Anything about being Classless... If Gus had that team... I would do the samething... But If you go check out the Basketball Association website... They have a lot of facts about how Wise has Recruited...

Most of those kids did not start High School at Yates... Fact!!! They just all happend to move in together at the sametime... Yeah Right!!!

well lucky for me is that i have. those kids dont have anything and you complain more than they do. Quit being babies about it.

You know nothing about me, but I can tell you that what happens in those games can and does spill into the streets and can escalate into violence....those youngsters don't have much and when you steal what pride they do have......the anger can push outward. I just don't see the use in destoying the self worth a 17 year old has, when in this case that may be all he has......not being a baby.......just putting the kids first, which is what we should do at this stage in their life.