Rick Reilly on Houston Yates

BCFlash

So what you are saying is that Yates and Wise broke UIL rules to put this team together by recruiting Wise's AAU players to play at Yates. That sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. I would love to see the TAKS scores these great students had.

yes and no... no rules broken... everything "legit" on paper... cant keep kids parents from moving... but yes, TO MY KNOWLEDGE, coming from a gentleman from houston (former coach, current principal) and other sources..... these kids played AAU ball for Wise.... Wise takes job at Yates... magically, they are there.... including kid from Lufkin....

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with rules the way they are... itd be nearly impossible for a 4a or 5a in NE Texas to make it to Austin.... having to go through Dallas and Houston and the transfers... not fair, but nature of the beast...

current trend... new schools popping up outside of these big cities.... kids leaving to go to the new facilities.... ex/ Fort Bend... something like 4 schools maybe 10 years ago... about 10 now... and surprise, surprise... new 5A state champion crowned today.... Fort Bend school

So what you are saying is that Yates and Wise broke UIL rules to put this team together by recruiting Wise's AAU players to play at Yates. That sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. I would love to see the TAKS scores these great students had.

Actually their 11th Grade TAKS scores are higher than Longview's. So does this mean John King and Coach Lee were coaching a bunch of thugs who have nothing to look forward to but a life of crime and a stint in TDC?

What about Coach Jenkins? He pressed the whole game to get to 100 12 out of 14 games when his team had the games won easily. Yates is classless thats the only diiference between the two. No one is talking about what Jenkins and Yuga did to teams WHY NOT?....Because they are a part of East TX! If REL or JT was doing what Yates has been doing would they get the same things talked about them? Not on this site because they are a part of our community.

Were you at these games, never mind, I know the answer,,,,NO. I was at every game for Cayuga and not once did they ever press the entire game!! I would venture to say that on average they don't even press for half the game. So....What about Coach Jenkins??? Great and classy coach, there were a few of the games we could've pressed the entire game and broke 200, but he chose not to.

Actually their 11th Grade TAKS scores are higher than Longview's. So does this mean John King and Coach Lee were coaching a bunch of thugs who have nothing to look forward to but a life of crime and a stint in TDC?

I am amazed that you have personal knowledge of individual students TAKS results from Longview and Yates! I thought the Family Privacy Act 1974 (Buckley Amendment) made it against the law.

More importantly who in their right mind thinks that the results of the State TAKS test predicts how a student will do in life, that my friend is directly linked to if the student is being taught right from wrong at home and at their school!

I am amazed that you have personal knowledge of individual students TAKS results from Longview and Yates! I thought the Family Privacy Act 1974 (Buckley Amendment) made it against the law.

More importantly who in their right mind thinks that the results of the State TAKS test predicts how a student will do in life, that my friend is directly linked to if the student is being taught right from wrong at home and at their school!

Someone should have taught Greg Wise right from wrong before he was handed a head coaching job that allowed him to influence the lives of young men. Wise is teaching these kids to humiliate others just because you can and calls ti "molding them" into productive human beings. Statistics show what the majority of "young men" from this area end up doing.

Someone should have taught Greg Wise right from wrong before he was handed a head coaching job that allowed him to influence the lives of young men. Wise is teaching these kids to humiliate others just because you can and calls ti "molding them" into productive human beings. Statistics show what the majority of "young men" from this area end up doing.

You have statistics on this area? What's your source? That way I can look it up and agree with you. None of these "young men" are going to college?

You have statistics on this area? What's your source? That way I can look it up and agree with you. None of these "young men" are going to college?

the statistics are on page 38 in "good housekeeping magazine" next to the crossword puzzle...lets get real here fella's , the season is over , yes kids got beat bad , but there's always next year..loosing brings out the worst in all of us and we start making excuses and name calling...we need to remember the kids/players are doing what they are told...yes i agree that they had a great season but we all know an * is next to it...dont see the u.i.l making any changes anytime soon

I never said the TAKS test would predict anything let alone how well someone will do in life. I happened to think there is too much emphasis placed on standardized tests. Mister brought up TAKS scores but, to address your other comment. I did not mention anything about individual TAKS scores but, individual schools TAKS performances is a matter of public record.

Good Article.

Am I getting this correct, the person who called everybody a liberal who didn't agree with him in the thread about stuff getting stolen off the bus in Longview is now agreeing with the practice of they should take it easy because we aren't that good. Sounds like liberal thinking to me lol.

Someone should have let you cry when you were young so that way you would stop when you are older. Everytime something bad happens people want to pick up their kids and hold them instead of teaching them a lesson. You are whats wrong with America. He is teaching them not to quit, and take no mercy just like the real world will do to them if they have this be nice attitude on life. Grow up this isnt youth basketball they are teenagers for heavens sake stop acting like a soccer mom and get a life.

Am I getting this correct, the person who called everybody a liberal who didn't agree with him in the thread about stuff getting stolen off the bus in Longview is now agreeing with the practice of they should take it easy because we aren't that good. Sounds like liberal thinking to me lol.

I dont think victims should get blamed for crimes commeted agianst them and I think coaches should have class, and it is nice to know that the truth burns you enough to re-hash old drama.

Were you at these games, never mind, I know the answer,,,,NO. I was at every game for Cayuga and not once did they ever press the entire game!! I would venture to say that on average they don't even press for half the game. So....What about Coach Jenkins??? Great and classy coach, there were a few of the games we could've pressed the entire game and broke 200, but he chose not to.

I saw about four of their games and read about the others. Cayuga is NOT Yates they have much better fans and players with integrity. Why not go ahead and put up 200...what's the difference in 100-40 wasn't bad enough. All I'm saying is don't be hypocrit Cayuga won their games with class and the players were always humble. They did score 100 12 of 14 games and all were not even close.

I saw about four of their games and read about the others. Cayuga is NOT Yates they have much better fans and players with integrity. Why not go ahead and put up 200...what's the difference in 100-40 wasn't bad enough. All I'm saying is don't be hypocrit Cayuga won their games with class and the players were always humble. They did score 100 12 of 14 games and all were not even close.

Okay, so why am I hypocrit????

this is ridiculous. Yates are state champs in mens basketball and unless all you whiners can put together a good HS team to beat them then stop whining about how classless the coach is. you dont win and go undefeated by not playing to the best of your ability. and yes this team was just that good thats what we dont want to hear but they were. sort of like how Lake Travis was just that good for the past 3 years in football, you get teams just that good in this state live with it.