Rangers reveal manager's positive test

Straw

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Texas Rangers manger Ron Washington apologized Wednesday ahead of a news conference in which team officials confirmed that he had tested positive for cocaine during the 2009 season.

The story was first reported Wednesday by SI.com. Sources told ESPNDallas.com that Washington will not be fired.

Washington, 57, acknowledged that he failed a Major League Baseball drug test last July. The story said he has passed all of his subsequent tests and the Rangers accepted Washington's apology.

"I did make a mistake and I regret that I did it," Washington told SI.com on Tuesday. "I am really embarrassed and I am really sorry."

Washington said he didn't want to give any reason for the circumstances of his drug use, saying it was "going to sound like excuses."

Washington was hired as manager of the Rangers in 2006 to replace Buck Showalter. He was given an extension last year in June that takes him as manager of the club through the 2010 season.

The SI.com story said Washington told the commissioner's office and the Rangers' brass about his cocaine use before the test results came back positive.

"It was the right thing to do,'' Washington said. "I couldn't deal with the result to come back positive and be a shock to those who've shown faith in me."

Richard Durrett covers the Rangers for ESPN Dallas. You can follow him on Twitter or leave a question for his weekly mailbag.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! This is shocking. I'd like to hear "the reason for the circumstances of his drug use, saying it was "going to sound like excuses." I hear that then I can decide if I think he should go.

I don't think he should be fired. He tested positive on one test and has volunteered to be tested more than normal. He even admitted to using, before the test results came back. J.D. has already said the club was not going to fire him over this incident.

I find it particularly inexcusable because of who he has on his team. The last thing a recovering addict like Josh Hamilton needs is to know his coach uses too. I am really furious that a 50something man in his position is doing this stuff. Inexcusable. He should not have to be fired, he should have resigned as soon as he tested positive! JMHO

If he is worried about dissappointing his players and fans, since it happened in July, why wait till it is about to be broken by news reports to have an announcement!! Never been a Washingtonfan, never will. :thumbdown:

Geez – this makes tonight’s Rangers-Mariners Spring Training telecast (9pm on FSNSW) “must see TV” .......... ‘ya think Josh & Tom will have anything to talk about?

WOW -- I don't know if the Rangers have any other options OTHER than firing him ... give the keys to Clint Hurdle.

Thanks, Ron -- your timing stinks :no:

Geez – this makes tonight’s Rangers-Mariners Spring Training telecast (9pm on FSNSW) “must see TV” .......... ‘ya think Josh & Tom will have anything to talk about?

WOW -- I don't know if the Rangers have any other options OTHER than firing him ... give the keys to Clint Hurdle.

Thanks, Ron -- your timing stinks :no:

I agree but is it to late to get a quality head coach this year?

Here is his apology

I am here today to apologize for a huge mistake I made during the first half of the season in 2009.

I am not here to make excuses. There are none.

I am not here to ask for sympathy. That would be asking too much.

I fully understand that I disappointed a lot of people----my family, my players, coaches, as well as the team's leadership, especially Nolan Ryan and Jon Daniels, as well as young people who may have looked up to me.

I am truly sorry for my careless, dangerous, and frankly, stupid, behavior last year.

Clearly, you have never seen me speak from a script before. But this is a time that I need to get the words exactly right.

Here's the biggest question: how and why did this happen?

That's a question I have had to face in numerous sessions with counselors. I've learned a lot about myself personally, and I recognize that this episode was an attempt to dodge personal anxieties and personal issues I needed to confront.

That was the wrong way to do it. It was self-serving, and believe me, not worth it. I know you will ask, and so here's the answer: this was the one and only time I used this drug.

I made a huge mistake, and it almost caused me to lose everything I have worked for all of my life.

Shortly after I did this, MLB notified me that I would have a routine drug test. Before even taking the test, I notified the league about the drug use. Right after that test, I told Jon Daniels and Nolan Ryan about my shameful behavior. I offered them my resignation.

They asked a lot of difficult questions. Remarkably, these two men, after a lot of thought and prayer, allowed me to stay here through last season.

However, they also directed me to immediately begin MLB's drug treatment program, which is a thorough and exhaustive process, and it includes the administration of drug tests at least three times a week.

I am proud to report to you that I have completed that program.

I am not proud to admit this terrible error.

This morning, I talked to our players. I assured them that this will never happen again, and I asked them to forgive me. In the true spirit of a "team," they seemed to embrace me not only as a manager but as a human being. I won't let you down again. Please know that I will personally take on the challenge of telling young people my story and my mistake. I don't know what form that will take, but I am committed to do that.

I am hopeful that our fans, both Rangers fans and Major League Baseball fans, will accept this heartfelt and humble attempt to say: I'm so sorry for what I did.

"What do you think Ron, CJ has given up 4 runs and no outs." Ron, "hang on guys I need to go to the bathroom, he'll be alright. sniff, sniff"

####, they should have fired him then, they can't let him go now. The only way they let him go is if the Rangers tank it this spring.

eh...Hurdle doesn't do anything for me. He got lucky once in Colorado....so what!

It's laughable that the Rangers brass didn't immediately relieve him of his duties. You should love the man, but there's absolutely no reason to tolerate the actions. How Nolan Ryan can put his stamp on this is unbelievable.

As far as a replacement, take your pick of retreads or never have beens. Clint Hurdle, though not awe-inspiring, has actually accomplished something. That's more than Washington will ever be able to say as a manager.

[Hurdle] got lucky once in Colorado....so what!

Meh . . . "lucky" That is great. You have the unique talent of making a World Series appearance seem unimportant :rofl:

Hurdle is already in the system & there are no great Baseball managers just laying around their houses, not doing anything -- they are already employed.

there are no great Baseball managers just laying around their houses, not doing anything -- they are already employed.

And thats all you had to say the last time I ask you....lol

If this had been anyone else, they would be terminated outside of MLB. I could understand Wade Wilson testing positive a few years ago. Cocaine is something totally different. I'm wondering about the timing of this story. I can understand not making the story public in the season, but why not wait till after The World Series. This is a distraction at almost the start of the season.

Good job little jonny daniels, you're the boy blunder of baseball.

Any hopes of the Rangers winning the West under Washington just went out the window... or up his nose. I mean really, how bad does it have to get for Ron Washington to snort cocaine? He's making a great salary coaching a MLB team. His drive to work means going to The Ballpark. Give me a break - I have no sympathy for this man.

Good job little jonny daniels, you're the boy blunder of baseball.

If your going to blame Daniels you have to blame Ryan as well, he was on board with keeping him as well. IMO it seems the players love the guy and respect him. So who is to say they dont rally around him even more. We will just have to see.

^ 'forgot that the Marines fired him ... :hmm:

This story gets crazier by the minute: Randy Galloway is reporting that information of Washington's positive drug test was leaked by a disgruntled former Rangers employee who tried to use the information as a "bargaining chip" for the Rangers to give him a letter of recommendation:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03/17/20...onverge-on.html

Something tells me if I walked into my boss tomorrow & told him I tested positive for cocaine he would not sit down with me & do some "soul searching".

There are no consequences for actions anymore.

AGREED!!!! I hate when people say "Give them a second chance" for #### like this!! You'll get your second chance, just not here!! It shows other personel, teammates, and KIDS that things like this are ok and we'll cover it up, hope nobody finds out, but if they do, you can keep your job. He's getting away with little to no reprimand and/or consequence!! The only reason he "confessed" was because Sports Illustrated was about to run the story, bottom line!!

Does he really think that people believe this is his 1st time to do this?! At 57?! Hahahahaha, funny Ron!! I guess he fooled MLB, Bud Selig, Little Jon boy, and........Nolan?!?!?! I thought Nolan had a little more integrity than this!! :hmm: