Cayuga vs Cross Roads

UTFAN1

Good assessment Stitch. Teams are pretty evenly matched. Paper has Gunnar giving up 5 hits with 13k's. Don't believe he ever gave up 2 hits in one inning, he is a battler. Ramsey pitched well, just ran out of gas it seemed like. Cayuga batters made him throw a lot of pitches. And Bobbyjay, this game is exactly what I mean by baseball being fickle. The team with the most hits didn't win, or the team with the most errors didn't lose. Some untimely walks with some timely hitting was the difference. Can't wait for round 2.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is exactly what i was trying to say, baseball is very fickle

Good assessment Stitch. Teams are pretty evenly matched. Paper has Gunnar giving up 5 hits with 13k's. Don't believe he ever gave up 2 hits in one inning, he is a battler. Ramsey pitched well, just ran out of gas it seemed like. Cayuga batters made him throw a lot of pitches. And Bobbyjay, this game is exactly what I mean by baseball being fickle. The team with the most hits didn't win, or the team with the most errors didn't lose. Some untimely walks with some timely hitting was the difference. Can't wait for round 2.

The basis of my reply was because the UTfan1 made it seem like Cross Roads outplayed Cayuga, and I thought that they both played well. The CR pitcher did a great job of getting himself out of trouble with his ability to vary the looks he was giving the base runners. He had to pitch a bunch though and had full counts more times than I can remember, he had to be over 100 pitches before he was pulled. Good job by the Cayuga batters of making the pitcher work, and eventually wearing him down. Great game to be at. Cant wait for round 2!

The basis of my reply was because the UTfan1 made it seem like Cross Roads outplayed Cayuga, and I thought that they both played well. The CR pitcher did a great job of getting himself out of trouble with his ability to vary the looks he was giving the base runners. He had to pitch a bunch though and had full counts more times than I can remember, he had to be over 100 pitches before he was pulled. Good job by the Cayuga batters of making the pitcher work, and eventually wearing him down. Great game to be at. Cant wait for round 2!

Best game I have seen since the last time these two played. Congratulations to both teams and both sets of coaches on an outstanding job. CR had more hits this game (I counted 6) than the three previous games against him combined. I think it was due to the game plan Coach Hughes had set. Thompson pounds the strike zone, and seldom walks batters. If a batter will be aggressive in there and swing the bat early and often, his odds go way up. Sit and wait for a pitch you like, and you will be down 0-2, 1-2 early and it is all but over. Very good job at the plate by Murff, Jenkins and Ramsey. The low mound seemed to bother Thompson in the first inning, hitting two batters who scored on the error on the pop fly by the left fielder. He did not start mixing in the curve untill later in the game. Whether this was planned, or he did not have the feel for it earlier, I don't know. Once he started throwing it, he was double tough. Ramsey looked good early, but a high pitch count and wildness did him in( I had him at 127 pitches in 6 innings) Jenkins was very good in putting down the Cayuga rally. He is becoming one of the better players in the district IMO. I have often put the Cayuga defense under scrutiny, but I must tipp my hat to the Cayuga staff. With the exception of the two run error by the left fielder, and the lefty throwing it away on a pickoff attempt at second, the Cayuga defense looked very good. Very nice job Coach.

Very good game by both teams. Gunnar did get hit more than usual, but the Cross Roads batters looked like they were ready. They were swinging early and often. Cayuga's batters did make Ramsey throw a LOT of pitches. They were very patient and battled well. The home plate umpire made it difficult for batters on both sides. The only thing he was consistent about was the fact that he was inconsistent. The batters on both sides had a hard time with him.

Ramsey has a fantastic pickoff move! I do think that he got away with two balks, though. Regardless, Cayuga walks away with the victory this time. See y'all next round! Good luck until then.

Very good game by both teams. Gunnar did get hit more than usual, but the Cross Roads batters looked like they were ready. They were swinging early and often. Cayuga's batters did make Ramsey throw a LOT of pitches. They were very patient and battled well. The home plate umpire made it difficult for batters on both sides. The only thing he was consistent about was the fact that he was inconsistent. The batters on both sides had a hard time with him.

Ramsey has a fantastic pickoff move! I do think that he got away with two balks, though. Regardless, Cayuga walks away with the victory this time. See y'all next round! Good luck until then.

Gunnar challenges hitters, he does not pitch around them. That is why his pitch count is almost always low. He seemed to use only the fastball early. They were starting their swings when his front foot hit the ground. Once he started mixing in the breaking ball, it was all over but the crying. Jimmy and Bo really smashed the ball, and the whole team played well. We need some of what you guys have to rub off on our Westwood boys.

Bill, I would be proud to claim him if he was. I just have a keen interest in left handed pitchers, and he is a special one. If you have not had the chance to see him, make it a point to do so. I live in the Cross Roads area and follow the team. That is it, I have no ties to the school or this area. My kids never went to either school. I moved here four years ago from Chicago. I think that is what makes me so un biased. I am not a homer. I praise individual players as I see fit. I am able to make it to a few more Bobcat games than Cayuga games, so I root for them, plain and simple. B-NUT

Wow!, having a high school kid at your age? One more reason for me to admire you. LOL! Don't let these guys jerk your chain b-nut. If they had half your experience or knowledge, they would be dangerous. We really enjoyed having you up for the Paris game the other night. The guys all thought it was a treat talking baseball with you. What did you think of the Harvey kid? Don't take this board so serious, mostly just kids goofing off.

Wow!, having a high school kid at your age? One more reason for me to admire you. LOL! Don't let these guys jerk your chain b-nut. If they had half your experience or knowledge, they would be dangerous. We really enjoyed having you up for the Paris game the other night. The guys all thought it was a treat talking baseball with you. What did you think of the Harvey kid? Don't take this board so serious, mostly just kids goofing off.

I read baseballnut's pre game, and it sounds like he hit the nail right on the head. People give him a hard time because talks good about a player from another team? Don't worry pal, it sounds like you know exactly what you are talking about. You are right Thompson is special (and not just 1a special) Anytime you get a good kid like that, one that does not get into trouble, people want to knock on him. The ones that stay in trouble with their grades and the police (i.e. underage drinking) people want to come to their defense. Why not stand up for the good kids? I am with you baseballnut, and I too would claim him as mine if I could. lol.

I read baseballnut's pre game, and it sounds like he hit the nail right on the head. People give him a hard time because talks good about a player from another team? Don't worry pal, it sounds like you know exactly what you are talking about. You are right Thompson is special (and not just 1a special) Anytime you get a good kid like that, one that does not get into trouble, people want to knock on him. The ones that stay in trouble with their grades and the police (i.e. underage drinking) people want to come to their defense. Why not stand up for the good kids? I am with you baseballnut, and I too would claim him as mine if I could. lol.

Thanks for the comment, but believe me these people do not bother me in the least. I am far too old to start moulding my opinions based on other peoples ignorance of the game. I have been able to catch Overton games lately, and they are a very impressive team one thru nine. A team is going to have to have all cyllinders pumping to beat them. Darden is a horse, but by no means their only weapon. They have very few weaknesses. B-NUT

Thanks for the comment, but believe me these people do not bother me in the least. I am far too old to start moulding my opinions based on other peoples ignorance of the game. I have been able to catch Overton games lately, and they are a very impressive team one thru nine. A team is going to have to have all cyllinders pumping to beat them. Darden is a horse, but by no means their only weapon. They have very few weaknesses. B-NUT