12 Pound Bass Caught on Lake Tyler

Longhorn Fan

Mitchell Barnett of Arp was on Lake Tyler fishing with his dad and brother when he thought he had snagged a log and was hung up........right up to the moment when his line started moving. He hollered out "I got one". What he got was something nobody was prepared for. A 12 lb largemouth bass!!! He was using his Zebco 33 Classic and a small jig to catch the beast. She was 1 pound shy of qualifying for the Texas Sharelunker program. After taking pictures, the bass was safely released back into Lake Tyler.

Congrats to Mitch Barnett for catching his first bass and what a way to start!

That kid will be hooked on fishing for the rest of his life [pun intended] Always in pursuit of a bigger one. When I was 10 I caught a 9 pounder - 25 years later I caught a 10 pounder and I'm still looking to improve on that.

• 5 months later...

I'm sure I'm going to get some nasty responses but WHY throw a monster like that back? Why not have it mounted? I guess my mentality during the era when I was fishing as a kid is completly different than it is now. My grandpa used to catch these HUGE Muskee's and he would put the heads on his barn for people in town to see and that was a big thing to see those heads with the mean lookin teeth. And yes, he ate the meat....ick, Muskee.

I'm not sure if a Bass that big and old would taste that good. We usually fried the 4 to 5 pounders and let the rest go.

That kid will be hooked on fishing for the rest of his life [pun intended] Always in pursuit of a bigger one. When I was 10 I caught a 9 pounder - 25 years later I caught a 10 pounder and I'm still looking to improve on that.

Indeed this young man will be hooked for life. I remember my first big fish. When i catch any fish i get and adrenaline rush.

Good Job Young Man.. And i wish you luck in your fishing career.

• 1 month later...