Longview's Davis Optioned to Oklahoma City, Smoak Promoted...

Smoaky

Tommy Hunter was not "called up" from AAA. He was reactivated after a DL stint. As for Tracy's numbers....I thought we were only looking at the numbers for "right now". At the time, Tracy was killing Smoak.

I personally never said WHEN to look at numbers..I also know a club will make a decision not JUST on how someone is hitting numbers wise. Smoak was hitting at a .300 clip. Simple as that. Tracy was hot, but scouts dont just say well so and so has better stats so he should go up. Tracy also strikes out alot. leads the team in SO at AAA..they did not want to replace a SO machine with another one

SPEAKING of SO..as great as Davis has been at AAA..he still is striking out ALOT..2nd on the team,...HE still does not walk alot..only 17 walks in 173 at bats..so basically he has the same problem..except at AAA the pitching is weaker so he has enough mistake pitches to hit

And Tommy was still pitching bad at AAA, they did not have to bring him up rigght then..they could have brought up Kirkman who was like 4-1 when Hunter up

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally never said WHEN to look at numbers..I also know a club will make a decision not JUST on how someone is hitting numbers wise. Smoak was hitting at a .300 clip. Simple as that. Tracy was hot, but scouts dont just say well so and so has better stats so he should go up. Tracy also strikes out alot. leads the team in SO at AAA..they did not want to replace a SO machine with another one

SPEAKING of SO..as great as Davis has been at AAA..he still is striking out ALOT..2nd on the team,...HE still does not walk alot..only 17 walks in 173 at bats..so basically he has the same problem..except at AAA the pitching is weaker so he has enough mistake pitches to hit

And Tommy was still pitching bad at AAA, they did not have to bring him up rigght then..they could have brought up Kirkman who was like 4-1 when Hunter up

That was basically Hunter's spring training. He had just gotten started again. None of the pitchers were as good in spring training as they are now.

PS - Glad to see that Smoak is not striking out (set new Ranger's record for stirkeouts in a 9 inning game). Perhaps we should send him down for another first baseman lower on the charts with a lot of hype and willing to hold out on the team. You might REALLY like him!

That was basically Hunter's spring training. He had just gotten started again. None of the pitchers were as good in spring training as they are now.

PS - Glad to see that Smoak is not striking out (set new Ranger's record for stirkeouts in a 9 inning game). Perhaps we should send him down for another first baseman lower on the charts with a lot of hype and willing to hold out on the team. You might REALLY like him!

Nadel awards 3 strikeouts with a 'hat trick', 4 gets you the golden sombrero. 5? Well, he came up with two possibilities: the platinum sombrero or possibly the olympic rings. He was shocked he even had to come up with this one. Dang, when will this change? I know he drove in 2 runs on Saturday, but then he absolutely negated that with his stink up of the plate on Sunday!

Wow..your "hate" fopr Smoak and "love" for Davis borders on scary. Your basically going to dismiss Smoak no matter what he does. I did not see you mention the good games, only the bad.

Wow..your "hate" fopr Smoak and "love" for Davis borders on scary. Your basically going to dismiss Smoak no matter what he does. I did not see you mention the good games, only the bad.

agreed...smoak has been killing the ball the last three weeks and has really contributed to the offense here in june...the second he has a bad game, here comes the "see i told ya so" attitude. He has 12 RBI's in the month of june and a .429 OBP...He is certainly holding his own.

agreed...smoak has been killing the ball the last three weeks and has really contributed to the offense here in june...the second he has a bad game, here comes the "see i told ya so" attitude. He has 12 RBI's in the month of june and a .429 OBP...He is certainly holding his own.

Yet he is still only batting .213. That must mean his other games, besides those 10 to start June, were really bad.

My dislike of Smoak doesn't have much to do with Davis. I am fond of Davis because he is from Longview. I never denied that. However, if they had brought up Tracy at the time they brought up Smoak, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Although I thought the move was early, I could certainly understand it. Smoak did not deserve it and he hasn't done anything to change my mind yet. I dislike Smoak for the same reason I dislike ARod and Texeira. I think he is too stuck on himself to be good for the team. He puts himself as more important than he actually is. Had he accepted the draft like the other Ranger draftees, I'd be thinking of him differently. If he finishes the season batting .450 with 50 homeruns, I'll be proud of him for his good play. However, I still would not like him as a Ranger......just as another baseball player. I don't know if that even makes sense but it's how I feel. I don't feel that he's "one of us" as the Ranger nation. When I think of him, I think he's only concerned about his contract.

And you bowing at the knees of Smoak has me doubly concerned. You're going to worship Smoak regardless. You have not mentioned the bad gmaes he's had even though they quadruple the number of good games he's had.

And you bowing at the knees of Smoak has me doubly concerned. You're going to worship Smoak regardless. You have not mentioned the bad gmaes he's had even though they quadruple the number of good games he's had.

Actually I dont think I have mentioned ANY of his games..I have not come on here after a game he had good or bad and said one thing except in response to your comments. I dont worship Smoak, I think he was best option at the moment with Davis playing as bad as he was.

You say Smoak is only out for himself..prove that..where are his remarks that say that?

Actually I dont think I have mentioned ANY of his games..I have not come on here after a game he had good or bad and said one thing except in response to your comments. I dont worship Smoak, I think he was best option at the moment with Davis playing as bad as he was.

You say Smoak is only out for himself..prove that..where are his remarks that say that?

He proved that when they tried to sign him!

Actions speak WAY louder than words. Do you honestly think anyone would speak those words, specifically? Get real.

Actions speak WAY louder than words. Do you honestly think anyone would speak those words, specifically? Get real.

oh so your just going to ASSUME you know how some feels?

This is a buisness..his agent and him went for the best money they could. Has no bearing on if he wants to be here or not.

Smoak was drafted after his junior year in college. What he did is pretty normal. To call it a holdout is a big stretch. Tune back in this August and see all of this years "holdouts" make a decision on whether to sign or go to/stay in school.

The Nationals' holdout from last year is doing pretty good, considering he didn't really hold out.

I like Chris Davis and hope he makes it back, but the only image I have of him is when he hit a mammoth home run against Tyler Lee at Mike Carter in a blowout loss and promptly grabbed his "rocks" for the Lee fans as he crossed home plate.

What's wrong with holding out, if you can get more money out of it then it was a sound decision. I've never understood the hostility towards those that try to make more guaranteed money. He's stupid if he doesn't hold out if there is a chance that he can get paid more and/or deserves to get paid more because of his draft position.

He also had a .470 OBP in the minors, that is outrageous. I can't imagine how another 1B prospect deserved the spot over him.

Did more research and realized you wanted Chad Tracy called up instead when he is hitting a nice .250ish in AAA. Smoak was and is the top hitting prospect in our system. He deserved the call up and as long as he is getting on base at a good clip he should stay in the lineup. He bats 7th, he doesn't have to be a huge RBI guy today, just keep innings alive by getting on base.

He also had a .470 OBP in the minors, that is outrageous. I can't imagine how another 1B prospect deserved the spot over him.

Did more research and realized you wanted Chad Tracy called up instead when he is hitting a nice .250ish in AAA. Smoak was and is the top hitting prospect in our system. He deserved the call up and as long as he is getting on base at a good clip he should stay in the lineup. He bats 7th, he doesn't have to be a huge RBI guy today, just keep innings alive by getting on base.

Tracy is down there now where he should be. I agree with that. At the time however, he was hitting around .340 with more than a pocket full of homeruns and RBIs. As for getting on base at a regular clip....for the season, Smoak's OBP is only better than Borbon and Treanor among the starters. Even Max Ramirez's OBP is higher. In the last 7 days, Smoak's OBP is .200 with a .167 AVG and leads the team in strikeouts. In the past 30 days, his stats are no better. Leads in strikeouts, worst in AVG and 2nd to last in OBP. Where are y'all getting this "on base" and "pounding the ball" stuff?

Tracy is down there now where he should be. I agree with that. At the time however, he was hitting around .340 with more than a pocket full of homeruns and RBIs. As for getting on base at a regular clip....for the season, Smoak's OBP is only better than Borbon and Treanor among the starters. Even Max Ramirez's OBP is higher. In the last 7 days, Smoak's OBP is .200 with a .167 AVG and leads the team in strikeouts. In the past 30 days, his stats are no better. Leads in strikeouts, worst in AVG and 2nd to last in OBP. Where are y'all getting this "on base" and "pounding the ball" stuff?

ok Five0, you are all knowing and right about everything. our first place team has no clue what's going on. The front office and managers that know these guys personally should get on smoaky and realize that you know best. trade smoak for a pack of cigs and watch his career dwindle away somewhere else.

ok Five0, you are all knowing and right about everything. our first place team has no clue what's going on. The front office and managers that know these guys personally should get on smoaky and realize that you know best. trade smoak for a pack of cigs and watch his career dwindle away somewhere else.

So providing evidence makes me a know-it-all? Not quite. Just because I dislike Smoak does not make me a bad guy or arrogant. Sorry I can't have a differing opinion from you without you thinking I'm some kind of punk.

I like Chris Davis and hope he makes it back, but the only image I have of him is when he hit a mammoth home run against Tyler Lee at Mike Carter in a blowout loss and promptly grabbed his "rocks" for the Lee fans as he crossed home plate.

You ever heard those kids that sit on the first 2-3 rows at Lee games? :o I can't say that I blame him!!! :lol:

So providing evidence makes me a know-it-all? Not quite. Just because I dislike Smoak does not make me a bad guy or arrogant. Sorry I can't have a differing opinion from you without you thinking I'm some kind of punk.

yea I agree..I disagree with you about the issue, but I also can say it has been a fun clean back and forth debate

You ever heard those kids that sit on the first 2-3 rows at Lee games? :o I can't say that I blame him!!! :lol:

LOL. That game it was actually one kid and I think that might have been his first experience at a baseball game. Davis swung and missed and the kid laughed really loud and told him he "stunk". Count went 3-1 and they served him one up. It was a no-doubter and cleared every tree beyond the CF wall. I actually cracked up when he did it, just thought he might have been a little more discreet. I've seen alot of b.alls hit out of there, but none close to that one.

i'm not seeing the evidence...earlier i put up stats from the last two weeks...and the response was "oh two weeks out of a season big deal" then you turn around and put up numbers over the last seven games...oh 7 games? big deal.

I posted stats from the last 7 days, the last 30 days, and the entire season. If you're not going to read my posts, don't bother responding to them.